Netflix in stereo not 5.1 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #331 of 365 Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyle View Post
Can any of you confirm if this is working when you are sending the audio from tv to receiver via HDMI/ARC
Using HDMI/ARC on F8000 series with latest updates. Watched Breaking Bad on Netflix last night in glorious DD+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 365 Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UN60H6350 doesnt seem to have 2602.2 update available

Can anyone with this samsung confirm if they are able to transmit 5.1 via ARC. There has been conflicting information, the manual says it supports ARC however the latest software version available for this is 2126.2. Any help on this will be awesome.
post #333 of 365 Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Can anyone with this samsung confirm if they are able to transmit 5.1 via ARC. There has been conflicting information, the manual says it supports ARC however the latest software version available for this is 2126.2. Any help on this will be awesome.
What's the specific model of your TV? Also, what receiver are you using?

post #334 of 365 Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone777 View Post
What's the specific model of your TV? Also, what receiver are you using?
UN60H6350 and a sony DN840

The TV also doesn't give me an option to select the audio out format, only PCM and DTS neo are available no Dolby Digital (grayed out)
post #335 of 365 Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
UN60H6350 and a sony DN840

The TV also doesn't give me an option to select the audio out format, only PCM and DTS neo are available no Dolby Digital (grayed out)
Just select PCM.
That's what mine is set to and I get DD 5.1 to the receiver (not DD+ as I previously stated).
post #336 of 365 Old 03-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Finally, this Netflix issue is resolved on my Samsung UN55F8000 with the latest firmware update to 1206.3...I can watch Netflix movies in DD 5.1...no more Stereo only...very happy with the update...
post #337 of 365 Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayofhope View Post
Finally, this Netflix issue is resolved on my Samsung UN55F8000 with the latest firmware update to 1206.3...I can watch Netflix movies in DD 5.1...no more Stereo only...very happy with the update...
That's what happens, when you have a ray of hope.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #338 of 365 Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Guys I had the same issue. Turns out for some reason my tv settings changed from Dolby digital to pcm. Changed it back to Dolby digital. And it was fixed. So it was not a problem from Netflix.

Go to your Samsung tv settings -> sound settings -> extra settings -> SPDIF-output -> sound format-> and change it to Dolby digital. Now when you look at your Denon avr it should automatically change to Dolby Digital.

This is what worked for me.
post #339 of 365 Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to get off topic of Samsung TVs but I am trying to get 5.1 from Netflix as well. My setup is a Windows 8.1 HTPC with HDMI video to TV and S/PDIF optical to my receiver. I get 5.1 from live TV and all my local video files (AAC, AC3, DTS) but when I select 5.1 from a Netflix stream it pretty much stops.

My receiver is a LG smart home theater system that has a native netflix app with 5.1 but the interface is painfully slow which is why I would like the windows app to work. The receiver manual says it can decode Dolby Digital Plus so I am at a loss. My S/PDIF sound card manual just mentions that it will pass-through Dolby Digital and DTS to my PC so maybe the card doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus?
post #340 of 365 Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now my Netflix on Roku 3 is reverting to stereo!

Over the last few weeks I've been trying to debug a similar audio problem that has started occurring when I watch Netflix on Roku 3. Now when I start Netflix and then start a show it plays back in stereo rather than surround. To fix it I have to go to the Netflix settings menu select reload Netflix and then restart the show which then plays back correctly in surround sound. Then it seems that as long as I stay in the Netflix app any new content I play will output surround sound correctly but if I leave the app and later return it reverts back to stereo and I have to reload the app again. It makes me wonder if the fix they implemented for Samsung has introduced a new bug into my non-Samsung setup. Up until recently it had been working perfectly. In case anyone's wondering, my issue is isolated to netflix. The other Roku apps I've tried produce surround sound without issue and so do all other AVR input sources (blu ray, OTA, etc.). Swapping AVR inputs, HDMI cables and receiver settings has no impact on the problem. Anyone else experiencing this?
post #341 of 365 Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATom View Post
Over the last few weeks I've been trying to debug a similar audio problem that has started occurring when I watch Netflix on Roku 3. Now when I start Netflix and then start a show it plays back in stereo rather than surround. To fix it I have to go to the Netflix settings menu select reload Netflix and then restart the show which then plays back correctly in surround sound. Then it seems that as long as I stay in the Netflix app any new content I play will output surround sound correctly but if I leave the app and later return it reverts back to stereo and I have to reload the app again. It makes me wonder if the fix they implemented for Samsung has introduced a new bug into my non-Samsung setup. Up until recently it had been working perfectly. In case anyone's wondering, my issue is isolated to netflix. The other Roku apps I've tried produce surround sound without issue and so do all other AVR input sources (blu ray, OTA, etc.). Swapping AVR inputs, HDMI cables and receiver settings has no impact on the problem. Anyone else experiencing this?
Same thing here BATom,

Everything is sterio now. I also tried my Netflix thought a Sony blueray player but got 5.1+ sound. This is a Roku thing!!

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #342 of 365 Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post
Same thing here BATom,

Everything is sterio now. I also tried my Netflix thought a Sony blueray player but got 5.1+ sound. This is a Roku thing!!
got this from the roku forum & it worked!!!
Go to Settings -> Audio, there are TWO options here, one is "Audio mode", two is "HDMI". Leave Audio mode as "Auto" and then Change HDMI to "DD+, DTS" instead of "Auto detect". This should restore 5.1 audio to Netflix. After making that settings change, you may want to reboot your Roku (Settings -> System -> System restart).

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #343 of 365 Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Go to Settings -> Audio, there are TWO options here, one is "Audio mode", two is "HDMI". Leave Audio mode as "Auto" and then Change HDMI to "DD+, DTS" instead of "Auto detect". This should restore 5.1 audio to Netflix. After making that settings change, you may want to reboot your Roku (Settings -> System -> System restart).
I have a Roku 2 and after the last update, under audio options, it replaced the surround option with DD+ DTS which it automatically defaulted to.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #344 of 365 Old 05-07-2015, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
This did not work for me. My AVR is dd5.1 only and I'm using a Roku 3. I still get PCM with these settings over the HDMI connection. I had thought that the Roku 3 update that added these options would have addressed this, but it doesn't seem to be the case? Anyone else get this to work with a dd5.1 (NOT dd5.1+) AVR and the Roku 3?

It's very frustrating that Netflix doesn't send 5.1 along since it's far and away the most common format for devices in their installed base. But they don't seem to care.
post #345 of 365 Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy999 View Post
This did not work for me. My AVR is dd5.1 only and I'm using a Roku 3. I still get PCM with these settings over the HDMI connection. I had thought that the Roku 3 update that added these options would have addressed this, but it doesn't seem to be the case? Anyone else get this to work with a dd5.1 (NOT dd5.1+) AVR and the Roku 3?

It's very frustrating that Netflix doesn't send 5.1 along since it's far and away the most common format for devices in their installed base. But they don't seem to care.
This is what has me obsessed with upgrading my AVR and all of this immersive audio Atmos and DTS-X crap! I just wanted to watch my Netflix on my Roku 3 in surround. My AVR is only DD 5.1 and DTS. I've been using the Prologic II setting which has been ok but I know good and well that it's not what it is supposed to be. Stupid thing is my AVR is actually 7.1 but can't decode any of the 7.1 formats...WTF is up with that? It adds the last 2 rear channels with fake Data from the surrounds...

Arrrrrg! My HT in a box for my bedroom is in the same boat. Sad thing about that one is I can't even switch to ProLogic II on it and I'm just stuck with 2 channel while streaming from a W7 HTPC and browser.
post #346 of 365 Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I've read the 1st 4 pages and its 5am, so I'll just post my question:

Could someone please explain why some devices get 5.1 and other don't? And how can Netflix decide what devices get 5.1?

These are all internet based and aren't there standards for transmitting 5.1 and receiving it?

I thought the "app" was a method to eliminate browser/plugin incompatibilities - like the Netflix app would communicate with their server and (here's the part I don't understand) pass it to the device.

One would think all the internet based communication would be quite standard, and if so, how could device firmware fail to process that standard "signal?"
post #347 of 365 Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
The apps are different in different devices (even the GUI can be very different from device to device).
post #348 of 365 Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I've noticed different devices have different GUI's. Why in the world would anyone choose such an approach. It makes no sense. Using a browser shell and running Netflix like it is on a PC (same on all devices) would make more sense

So given that, who writes the app, Netflix or the device manufacturer? It almost sounds like Netflix has these ".NET services" or something out there and all the manu write custom code to utilize?

I would like to read a technical explanation of how apps works - a white paper with all the protocols/interfaces defined.
post #349 of 365 Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
Yes, I've noticed different devices have different GUI's. Why in the world would anyone choose such an approach. It makes no sense. Using a browser shell and running Netflix like it is on a PC (same on all devices) would make more sense

So given that, who writes the app, Netflix or the device manufacturer? It almost sounds like Netflix has these ".NET services" or something out there and all the manu write custom code to utilize?

I would like to read a technical explanation of how apps works - a white paper with all the protocols/interfaces defined.
I just lost all 5.1 for Netflix using my Oppo with Roku streaming stick. Everything from them is stereo.

What should I do?
post #350 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post
I just lost all 5.1 for Netflix using my Oppo with Roku streaming stick. Everything from them is stereo.

What should I do?
Get an Amazon Fire TV streaming box. These have the optical out for audio, and DO process the Netflix into DD5.1 to my older AVR. So if you can take an optical input for audio, you should be all set.

My Roku 3 is sitting unloved and unplugged.
post #351 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Get an Amazon Fire TV streaming box. These have the optical out for audio, and DO process the Netflix into DD5.1 to my older AVR. So if you can take an optical input for audio, you should be all set.

My Roku 3 is sitting unloved and unplugged.
The current model Fire TV box does not have any S/PDIF(optical/coax) audio output, it's HDMI only for audio output.
post #352 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The current model Fire TV box does not have any S/PDIF(optical/coax) audio output, it's HDMI only for audio output.
Thank you for that clarification. I hadn't realized that was the case, having bought one pretty recently. The industry is definitely trying to obsolete our older gear! It's very frustrating.
post #353 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you for that clarification. I hadn't realized that was the case, having bought one pretty recently. The industry is definitely trying to obsolete our older gear! It's very frustrating.
Yes, I've actually come up against this very problem. My mother's ancient Roku has finally be deemed unusable for MLB.tv and her audio system consists of an old Yamaha AVR that has no HDMI inputs. The audio through the TV is not acceptable. So now I'm trying to figure out the easiest and least expensive way to get her back to her baseball games. I've looked at this device here as a way to keep the Yamaha and just get the Roku 2, that would keep the capital outlay to around $110 or so. Otherwise it's a new AVR along with the cost of a new streaming device.
post #354 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Just be sure you can return it if it doesn't work.
post #355 of 365 Old 03-03-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
Just be sure you can return it if it doesn't work.
The HDMI/optical breakout box? It's sold under the Prime banner so I will have no problem returning it.
post #356 of 365 Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know why my Nvidia Shield is having problems with Netflix and 5.1? It's hooked up to my Denon AVR-S710W (which supports all the formats up to and including Atmos) and then goes from there to TV (Vizio M60-C3). I can bitstream DTSHD-MA from Kodi no problem (running on the Shield), but Netflix can't play DD+ 5.1?! Is this a problem with the Netflix app?
post #357 of 365 Old 07-03-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
Anyone know why my Nvidia Shield is having problems with Netflix and 5.1? It's hooked up to my Denon AVR-S710W (which supports all the formats up to and including Atmos) and then goes from there to TV (Vizio M60-C3). I can bitstream DTSHD-MA from Kodi no problem (running on the Shield), but Netflix can't play DD+ 5.1?! Is this a problem with the Netflix app?
I had this frustrating problem, I can't hear the full 5.1 sounds. Fixed it with changes to my DENON av receiver from dolby surround to virtual mode on the sound modes.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
post #358 of 365 Old 07-04-2016, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyanc View Post
I had this frustrating problem, I can't hear the full 5.1 sounds. Fixed it with changes to my DENON av receiver from dolby surround to virtual mode on the sound modes.
Good luck.

Still annoyed with it, I dig it behind the organised mess of cables to find the central speaker cable is not connecting. 5.1 sound now in full and sorted.

post #359 of 365 Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry to chime in so late, but am having the same problem.

nVidia Shield connected to HDMI 2 on my Samsung KS8500's One Connect Box, then to my Yamaha receiver through ARC. Netflix and Vudu only play in stereo. There's no 5.1 option available in any program's audio options. Surround sound pass thru is set to ON in Shield options.

On my Roku Ultra connected to HDMI 1, Netflix and Vudu are 5.1 with no problem. Audio settings on the TV are not input-specific, so all settings for both inputs are the same.

I'm looking through settings on the Shield, nothing leaps out at me as being wrong. Suggestions? Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #360 of 365 Old 10-15-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Disconnected it from the TV and ran it straight into the receiver, and suddenly 5.1 channel sound (or in the case of 4K Vudu, Dolby Atmos) is working great.

Apparently the audio circuitry of the Shield does NOT like going through the TV first.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netflix , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page