Live Streaming/Overflow Room Feed Hum at our Church - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-09-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Live Streaming/Overflow Room Feed Hum at our Church

We are having issues with a hum on our live streaming and the feed to our overflow room. We also have some dead air static but the main issue is the hum that we can not get to go away. We had our soundboard plugged into our camera then our camera to our feeds. We are using an empty Aux channel out so we can do a different mix with the 3.5mm from the board (using a 3.5mm to quarter inch adapter) into the camera's mic jack. Here are some things we have tried in troubleshooting:

1. Separate power outlets for everything to try to eliminate it being power issues: Same Hum
2. Plugging other things into the camera's mic jack (Phone, Computer, Shotgun Mic): Great audio with no hum but still the dead air sounding static
3. Plugging a quarter inch cord into that Aux channel to a direct box then the 3.5mm (with 3.5mm to quarter inch adapter) into the direct box: Same Hum, this time even with the board's power unplugged.
4. We left the same set up as before but this time we unplugged the quarter inch from the board: No hum but still the dead air sounding static.
5. We left the same set up as before but this time when we unplugged the quarter inch from the board we put it into a guitar: Great audio with no hum but still the dead air sounding static
6. We plugged some headphones into that Aux out with the same 3.5mm to quarter inch adapter: Great audio with no hum but still the dead air sounding static

All of this leads us to believe the problem is the board... We thought maybe the camera was doing some sort of weird auto gain thing to cause it since it got worse when it was quiet but with all this troubleshooting it has to be the board right? The thing that puzzles me is how it the hum is still there with the power unplugged? Any suggestions to fix the hum and even the separate dead air like static issue would be much appreciated

An added new twist now is by accident I discovered another issue. I unplugged the soundboard from the Canon Camcorder. Then the HDMI out which I have never had to unplug before and the hum is now heard out loud. If I plug the HDMI out back in the hum goes away even to the TV it feeds to. Almost like the HDMI cord is making the hum go away until I plug the soundboard back into it then I get a hum. Once again nothing else plugged in does this, just the board. I hook up my GoPro to the same setup to see if it was just the Camcorder all along somehow, but the hum is still there from the board. So now my question is has this issue caused our Canon Camcorder to have a permanent hum some how, which makes no sense or do we have two separate hums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dido

I’m having almost the same problem at our church. We have a Sony Handycam HDR-CX430V the external mic jack is connected thru a Nady db-1 Dboxto a Behringer XENYX X1622USB sound mixing board. The HDMI out of the camera is connected to a 8x8 matrix switcher. It has a static in the audio that builds in volume when its quiet or no sound from the board. It builds from nearly not noticeable to full volume in about 1 ½ minutes. If I unplug the camera and plug headphones into the SB I don’t hear the noise. If I unplug the mic in or HDMIout from the camera it clears. I’ve tried to change where everything’s plugged in and dropping the ground in the dbox.

Last edited by rstambach; 10-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you tried using a direct box with a ground lift between the audio source and destination?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page