Tabletop Radio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tabletop Radio

Not sure if I have the right forum or not.

My wife is battling cancer and during chemo simply has to rest a lot. In bed she likes to listen to am/talk radio and occasional easy listening and she would like to listen to audio books. She does not care about stereo and she hates technology. Every night when I settle her in her bedside clock radio will basically pick up 1 am station and it sounds like crap. I set out on a quest to find the perfect unit.

1. I purchased the Grace Digital Mondo and had it programmed but it's wifi was horrible, good in our den but cuts out in the bedroom. In addition there is a inherent flaw in the alarm software. I returned it.

2. I bought the Sangean WR2, this was the best radio I have ever seen or used, period. For her too complicated, hated the display light and was too heavy to move around. I sent it back.

3. I purchased the C.Crane Radio EP and thought it was going to work but could get almost nothing on it, very disappointing after reading reviews. It goes back today.

Anyone have any suggestions? She does not need an alarm, likes her old clock for that. My last thought was I have an original T-amp and an old ACI emearld speaker. Would it hurt the T-Amp to stay on all the time and use one side for mono? I could then hook an old smartphone to it for I-Hart and books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeadows1 View Post
Not sure if I have the right forum or not.

My wife is battling cancer and during chemo simply has to rest a lot. In bed she likes to listen to am/talk radio and occasional easy listening and she would like to listen to audio books. She does not care about stereo and she hates technology. Every night when I settle her in her bedside clock radio will basically pick up 1 am station and it sounds like crap. I set out on a quest to find the perfect unit.

1. I purchased the Grace Digital Mondo and had it programmed but it's wifi was horrible, good in our den but cuts out in the bedroom. In addition there is a inherent flaw in the alarm software. I returned it.

2. I bought the Sangean WR2, this was the best radio I have ever seen or used, period. For her too complicated, hated the display light and was too heavy to move around. I sent it back.

3. I purchased the C.Crane Radio EP and thought it was going to work but could get almost nothing on it, very disappointing after reading reviews. It goes back today.

Anyone have any suggestions? She does not need an alarm, likes her old clock for that. My last thought was I have an original T-amp and an old ACI emearld speaker. Would it hurt the T-Amp to stay on all the time and use one side for mono? I could then hook an old smartphone to it for I-Hart and books.
Do you have an Internet Connection close by?

I know you said she hates technology and the only reason I am going to suggest this is because you mentioned the potential use of an old Smart Phone.

Maybe pick up a Sonos Play 1, you will get more talk stations then anyone can imagine as well as other stations and if you have any kind of online music account or subscription you would be able to access them as well.

You would need to connect it to the Internet but with the latest update you can use your existing wifi (assuming you have it) if not you can get a bridge. A lot of times you get a free one with the purchase of one of their players.

The kicker is that it needs to be controlled by something which might be a turn off as it would have to be a PC, Smart Phone or Tablet. If that is too much for her then maybe the new Bose Player, i believe that has programmable buttons for some "Presets" I would verify that as I do not own one or know anyone that does.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page