AVS Forum banner

Amazon Fire TV Stick

56K views 328 replies 108 participants last post by  anayadic 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=kin_dps_buel

$19 for prime members for the next 2 days. I think i'll get one just to do it. Normally $39.

Size 3.3 x 1.0 x 0.5 in. (84.9 x 25.0 x 11.5 mm)
Weight 0.9 oz. (25.1g)
Processor Broadcom Capri 28155, dual-core 2xARM A9
GPU VideoCore4
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 1 GB
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO); supports 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi networks.
Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0 with support for the following profiles: HID, HFP, HPP
Voice Search Support Yes, requires Fire TV Voice Remote (sold separately) or free Fire TV Remote App (available for download on Fire or Android OS; iOS coming soon)
Game Controller Support Yes, optimized for Amazon Fire Game Controller, compatible with Nyko PlayPad Pro and other Bluetooth controllers.
Cloud Storage All Amazon Cloud Drive customers start with 5 GB of free storage
Ports 1 Type A HDMI 1.4b output, w/HDCP 1.4
1 Micro USB for power only
Audio Dolby Digital Plus certified, audio pass through up to 7.1
Content Formats Supported Video: H.264
Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis
Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Output Resolution Supported 720p and 1080p up to 60fps
System Requirements High-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection via Wi-Fi, a power outlet.
TV Compatibility Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz, including popular HDCP-compatible models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse
Warranty and Service 1-year Limited Warranty and service included. Use of Fire TV Stick is subject to the terms found here.
Regional Support Certain services may not be available outside the U.S.
Closed Captioning Watch videos and TV shows with closed captioning displayed. Captions are not available for all content.
Included in the Box Fire TV Stick
Amazon Fire TV Remote
USB cable and power adapter
HDMI extender cable
2 AAA batteries
Quick Start Guide

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't have much use for this (have a rooted FireTV booting straight to XBMC as well as a ChromeCast), but went ahead and pre-ordered anyway. I can always gift it if I don't find a use for it.

#11 ·
Just FYI

The wall-wart power supply is the only way to power it. It doesn't even attempt to get power via the HDMI connection. The ChromeCast and Roku sticks have this option but from what I've read it frequently doesn't work anyway.

Use of the HDMI extender cord is recommended for best WiFi performance. From what I've read this is the same for Chromecast and Roku stick.

I ordered one.

#17 ·
Limit one per customer was apparently implemented. Tried to pick up another one today for my daughter and was denied after trying to check out. Luckily got in for 2 before that.

#22 · (Edited)
Your order may show Nov. 2 but they state that it won't be released till the 19th. Unless you ordered the Fire TV instead of the Fire TV Stick by mistake, but you would have paid a lot more than 19 bucks.

#39 ·
I see they are in stock at five of the Best Buy stores near me and can be picked up. But I got my two ordered from Amazon at the $19 price. So I would rather wait until December 5th to get them than to pay full price and get them right now.

#40 ·
I'm really impressed with this for $20. The remote app is great, and the interface is plenty responsive. Sideloaded newer Plex apk just fine.

For those concerned, it works fine on the 500ma USB ports on my TV, though it does nag on startup. I think it downclocks, though, so more demanding playback/apps might struggle. I'll try with the 1a wall wart shortly.

#41 ·
For those concerned, it works fine on the 500ma USB ports on my TV, though it does nag on startup. I think it downclocks, though, so more demanding playback/apps might struggle. I'll try with the 1a wall wart shortly.
There are plenty of devices that can supply 1A via a single USB port, sometimes requiring that it be the only port in use. I wonder if the stick is simply sensing the standard USB port and assuming it does not have enough power.

#46 · (Edited)
Did you folks need a long time to for the new software to download? I've had a bit of a slow start here.

I initially connected the stick to the same USB power source that has been running my Chromecast - a 0.7A phone charger. Everything fired right up. I connected to the network (router at TV - within three feet of stick), but the stick failed to begin the download of the latest software. I restarted (as the onscreen tip suggested), but to no change. I then came here and saw discussion that the supplied power adapter is a full amp, so I reconnected with the supplied adapter. The stick then took a long time to power up and suggested I use the supplied adapter (uh, hello!?) but finally began the download. It's been trying for 10+ minutes and looks to have completed only 15% or so of the download.

Does this sound weird to anybody but me?

Fred

Edit: I spent about an hour on the phone with the support folks. We tried a bunch of stuff, including resetting my whole network. Eventually, everything worked. The stick is go. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.