*Official* Tidal music streaming thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 426Likes

post #1231 of 1719 Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLightning3 View Post
Do you have your devices in offline mode or something? I use the Tidal app on my PC and my android phone, and I have no problem having my changes sync between devices. If I add a song to a playlist on my pc, when I open it on my phone the new song is automatically added and downloaded (if I have that playlist saved as one of my offline playlists).
It works intermittently. I'll have to double check how I have the playlists saved. My biggest issue is with my Bluesound devices which I believe is a different animal. Also I had auto fill enabled on my Bluesound Vault which added songs automatically. Thanks for the response. I'm getting this sorted out.

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
Zone2-Paradigm SE-1's, Zone3-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1719 Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post
Yes - I get that. I only get the first unfold over optical (and coax to the OPPO). Point is it sounds better than the Node DAC. Just slightly but still better.
That's why I'm itching to try the C386 with the Bluesound card. Or the C390DD that has "direct digital" amplification.
Trying to get head wrapped around how direct digital works with MQA... I guess that might be software only full decoding but that tech is way over my head so I better not start spouting BS
thanks
I found the opposite. Using the Bluesound Node 1 I have the optical output and the RCA's connected to my Marantz 8802A. I can then easily toggle between the digital and analog inputs, which makes it fairly easy to A/B them. I say fairly easy, because there is still about a 1 second silence when I switch back and forth. Anyway in my case it is a bit more crisp, detailed and "fuller" with the analog inputs. This was surprising because I thought that the partially unfolded MQA running through the 8802A DAC would be superior than running through the Bluesound Node 1 DAC, but that was not the case. At least not to my ears and a friend listened and agreed.
post #1233 of 1719 Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM

I noticed when looking at the digital signal information that a relative few number of MQA titles are at 44.1 kHZ, whereas most of them MQA titles are at 96 kHZ, at the point of the first unfold. Does it make sense to have an MQA level recording that is only at 44.1 kHz? Some examples include the Blurryface twenty one pilots album and the Switchfoot Fading west album. There's probably about a dozen or so other MQA albums I've seen at 44.1 kHZ. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how could a title be considered to be high quality and MQA level, when only being at the 44.1 kHZ sample rate? That's even lower than the CD sample rate of 48 kHz...

post #1234 of 1719 Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I noticed when looking at the digital signal information that a relative few number of MQA titles are at 44.1 kHZ, whereas most of them MQA titles are at 96 kHZ, at the point of the first unfold. Does it make sense to have an MQA level recording that is only at 44.1 kHz? Some examples include the Blurryface twenty one pilots album and the Switchfoot Fading west album. There's probably about a dozen or so other MQA albums I've seen at 44.1 kHZ. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how could a title be considered to be high quality and MQA level, when only being at the 44.1 kHZ sample rate? That's even lower than the CD sample rate of 48 kHz...
CD is 44.1kHz. Also, my DAC sees 88.2kHz on twenty one pilots Blurryface.

Main System: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels
post #1235 of 1719 Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
UPDATE: OK guys, so I WAS able to get the Bluesound Node (original) working on analog with its RCA this time. Not sure why it didn't work a few weeks ago when I tried it.

I was quite surprised to find that I liked the analog better. ......

So now I wonder if it was a mistake to get the Bluesound Node original versus the Node 2 with the improved DAC. I have a quality KEF setup in a fully acoustically treated, professionally engineered room. Do you think I would be able to hear a difference between the DAC in the Node 1 versus the Node 2?

I also like the sound of the DAC's in my Node 2 over the ones in my 7702 MKii.

In fact, I use a Node 2 as a complete front end, plugged into a Parasound Halo amp driving a pair of Sonus Faber monitors in my office, and am happy as a clam.

The Node 2 sounds great, but there is the stigma of feeding a pair of $6000 speakers with a $500 source to overcome.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #1236 of 1719 Old 02-27-2017, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I also like the sound of the DAC's in my Node 2 over the ones in my 7702 MKii.

In fact, I use a Node 2 as a complete front end, plugged into a Parasound Halo amp driving a pair of Sonus Faber monitors in my office, and am happy as a clam.

The Node 2 sounds great, but there is the stigma of feeding a pair of $6000 speakers with a $500 source to overcome.
Stigma....

It sounds great and the Node 2 or Vault 2 are cool-looking devices. The benefits of other additional features they bring to the table make those units one of the best buys at any price. Add in the level of support with continuous improvement and it's a huge win. What other product made MQA decoding available to legacy products for free?
pappaduke likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #1237 of 1719 Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been liking Tidal recently, they seem to have pretty good curated playlists. I'm interested to see if they are able to maintain fresh playlists
post #1238 of 1719 Old 02-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE GUNSLINGERS View Post
I have been liking Tidal recently, they seem to have pretty good curated playlists. I'm interested to see if they are able to maintain fresh playlists
I'm glad to hear that someone likes their curated playlists. Most people on this thread seem to think their playlists are not that good compared to say, Pandora or Spotify. Now when it comes to sound quality, they are the best to most. I hope you continue to enjoy.

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
post #1239 of 1719 Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I'm glad to hear that someone likes their curated playlists. Most people on this thread seem to think their playlists are not that good compared to say, Pandora or Spotify. Now when it comes to sound quality, they are the best to most. I hope you continue to enjoy.

I also have a Groove subscription, and think their playlists are way better than Tidal's.

Though there is no question that Tidal, especially with the MQA streams, sounds far superior to any other streaming service I have tried (and I have tried most of them). Groove by comparison sounds punchy, but the kind of punchy created by dynamic compression/limiting. That can actually be a good thing with some mixes, but it usually isn't. The same streams on Tidal are more open sounding with more defined layers in the mix. This isn't a subtle thing either...if my wife can hear it, it's real.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #1240 of 1719 Old 02-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Aurender just released MQA firmware upgrade 5.9.27 for A10: so now all MQA processing is done in the A10

front panel shows: MQA Studiowhen processing MQA signal

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #1241 of 1719 Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Spotify Hi-Fi Lossless Streaming

So it appears that Spotify may soon be offering a Hi-Fi lossless streaming tier. This type of competition could certainly make things interesting for Tidal Hi-Fi subscribers. I would certainly take Spotify for a Hi-Fi test drive. I do love their curated playlists way more than Tidal's. There is no mention of MQA in the article that I read about it, so Tidal will still have a slight edge.
yanks1 likes this.

Yamaha 2010
post #1242 of 1719 Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Need help; i posted on another thread but I'm still confused

on my 2nd week of 30 day trial, trying to determine whether i keep this moving forward. But not sure my laptop setting are correct when i stream through my laptop and send signal via my HDMI to my preamp. I am trying to eliminate my Dell laptops sound processing w/Windows 10 and ensure I have lossless streaming from my laptop to my preamp & out to my amp & speakers. Not sure what setting to change on my laptop to make this happen... I need assistance!!

thanks
post #1243 of 1719 Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Not sure what setting to change on my laptop to make this happen... I need assistance!!

thanks
I had a similar issue when I was trying to play MQA titles through my dragonfly red via my macbook pro. I had to go digging around in the settings, like DEEP in the settings, to find a switch that gave control of the playback device to the app instead of OSX. My steps would be different from yours anyway. So google "MQA playback tidal pc" and variations, that should cough up the details. BE CAREFUL. When the app grabbed the device, it rammed the volume up to 100%. I had to toss my headphones off my head.
yanks1 likes this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #1244 of 1719 Old 03-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
It sounds like with iTunes you pay for music, it gets down-sampled to a crappier quality, and you can't use it anywhere else but Apple products.
Glad I never latched onto "i-Anything".
Which is probably why everything you said is incorrect.
AAC and Apple lossless are better codecs than many others and Apple was the first to get ride of DRM (not in streaming) through negotiations with the music companies and also went to a higher bit rate pretty early.
iTunes Match was the first to let you upload music you bought from elsewhere into your iTunes collection and keep it.
Down sampled from what? How are others better?
Read about Mastered for iTunes.
It is also incorrect that you can only play Apple or iTunes music from Apple devices. There is an Android client.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.music&hl=en
I have paid subs to Pandora, Tidal, and Apple Music. Dumped Spotify as it had nothing to offer over the others to me plus 256 AAC sounds better than 320 Ogg.
highd3f likes this.

Last edited by SoCalCyclist; 03-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #1245 of 1719 Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you done railing on me for perhaps misinterpreting what was posted above my post?

Enjoy paying Apple. I don't feel any need to, and never will. For the record my ears tell me Tidal Hi-Fi streaming at more than 4x the bitrate of your excellent AAC sounds pretty good. With MQA, it sounds even better. We're both happy, leave it at that.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #1246 of 1719 Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Are you done railing on me for perhaps misinterpreting what was posted above my post?
Enjoy paying Apple. I don't feel any need to, and never will. For the record my ears tell me Tidal Hi-Fi streaming at more than 4x the bitrate of your excellent AAC sounds pretty good. With MQA, it sounds even better. We're both happy, leave it at that.
It's pretty obvious that I didn't misinterpret anything. You made specific incorrect statements that I responded to specifically and in detail.
I know the type who thinks they have figured out something about Apple the rest of us haven't but doesn't actually know the subject.
You did read that I subscribe to Apple Music, Pandora AND Tidal right? They have specific purposes at specific times for me.
Pandora still has the best streaming radio stations of any of the streaming services.
Apple Music combines all the music I have collected over the years from CD's and wherever else plus bought from Apple and works across and syncs across multiple devices. Mastered for iTunes sounds really great.
https://www.justmastering.com/articl...dforitunes.php
Tidal bit rate and particularly MQA is great too but I don't stream it over a cell connection plus with MQA I use my Meridian Explorer 2 to get the full unfold so that imposes certain limitations over when I can use it.
I play all of these over Airplay to many devices which sounds much better than Bluetooth or Chromecast.
highd3f likes this.
post #1247 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 9060
Gapless

Playback

????????????????????????

??????????????????????

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1248 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like with iTunes you pay for music, it gets down-sampled to a crappier quality, and you can't use it anywhere else but Apple products.

Glad I never latched onto "i-Anything".
I don't allow anything "i" in the house.

I can't stand the company and I have a hard time with their cheerleaders, which are like Nike cheerleaders. The planet would be better off without both.

Hope this helps!

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1249 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't understand what is meant by gapless playback. Honestly.

When I play any album on my turntable, play a CD, or stream an album on Tidal HiFi there is a brief pause between songs and that's how it's always been. Exceptions throughout the years have been there, such as on Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon or some Led Zeppelin albums there are some songs that go "gapless" from one into the other. It's the radio folks who blend one into the other, and I don't always like to miss the very start of very end of certain songs. Radio stations loathe "dead air" so they do it.

I don't feel a need for it. Apparently I'm alone in that?

post #1250 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

MQA designation in Tidal listings

Someone pointed out recently (I think it was here, but can't find their reference to it now) that Tidal now has a little "M" designation in the Tidal desktop app on Windows for MQA/Master titles. This is a great step in the right direction. However, although the Tidal mobile apps don't support MQA yet, Tidal doesn't seem to understand that with the Bluesound iOS app we can play MQA titles from our mobile devices. Yet no such Masters designation shows up there. It would be really helpful if when browsing albums on the Bluesound app we had a way to easily know which, if any, are the MQA versions. It would be great to also have a MQA Only filter - that only shows albums in MQA...
markrubin likes this.
post #1251 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On my Android tablet running the BlueOS app, Tidal HiFi opens up in the "Masters" category. It's a list of all MQA albums but in no particular order or genre. Better than nothing, but not by much.

On my PC the Tidal app opens as it always has, just that now under the heading of "Albums" it defaults to New but you can click on "Recommeded", "Top 20" or "Masters."

post #1252 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
On my Android tablet running the BlueOS app, Tidal HiFi opens up in the "Masters" category. It's a list of all MQA albums but in no particular order or genre. Better than nothing, but not by much.

On my PC the Tidal app opens as it always has, just that now under the heading of "Albums" it defaults to New but you can click on "Recommeded", "Top 20" or "Masters."
Yes I have seen those. As you say, its hardly any help. The Masters in the BlueOS app is in not particular order. At least if it was sorted by most recently released in MQA order, then we can easily see what's new. I'd like to be able to pull up an artist, look at the albums, and say Oh that's the MQA one, and play that one. No can do.
post #1253 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Quote:
Yes I have seen those. As you say, its hardly any help. The Masters in the BlueOS app is in not particular order. At least if it was sorted by most recently released in MQA order, then we can easily see what's new. I'd like to be able to pull up an artist, look at the albums, and say Oh that's the MQA one, and play that one. No can do.
what I have done is set up a playlist entitled MQA: I add every MQA title/disc I like to it
pappaduke likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #1254 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
what I have done is set up a playlist entitled MQA: I add every MQA title/disc I like to it
Yup, I do the same thing. The challenge tho is in discovering new MQA titles. I think the list is now like 2400? That's great progress, nearly doubling in the past few months. But this means I have to read through the shared MQA title list (Google doc) and look for titles - "Oh, cool xyz is now available as MQA!" Gets tiring having to scan through a few thousand entries every few weeks if you know what I mean.
markrubin and pappaduke like this.
post #1255 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr
Gapless Playback
I get gapless when I'm using the Tidal Mac client as long as the connection is good. The web client will very occasionally manage gapless, but most of the time I have to manually kick the thing from one track to the next. My BubbleuPnP claims to support it but never has to my Pioneer receiver. The developer claims this is due to poor implementations (I haven't registered it as a bug, I probably should.)

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #1256 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't feel a need for [gapless]. Apparently I'm alone in that?
Most live albums have no gaps between the tracks, and it's quite common for the band to jump from one number to another without stopping. Likewise, most long classical pieces tend to be broken up into tracks when released on CD. In the former case, the gaps are annoying. In the latter, it can make a piece unlistenable, even when the gaps are brief. I have yet to have a satisfactory listen of my Mahler's 8th (Symphony of a Thousand) on my main rig because they chose to chop it into bits and my playback weapon of choice doesn't support gapless.

80% of the time I don't even realize it's gone. But gosh that 20% can be annoying.
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by dscottj; 03-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #1257 of 1719 Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yup, I do the same thing. The challenge tho is in discovering new MQA titles. I think the list is now like 2400? That's great progress, nearly doubling in the past few months. But this means I have to read through the shared MQA title list (Google doc) and look for titles - "Oh, cool xyz is now available as MQA!" Gets tiring having to scan through a few thousand entries every few weeks if you know what I mean.
I also do the same. I have a MQA playlist for individual tracks, and one for Albums. I've grown tired of searching the Google list of albums. I used to check daily, then every few days and now I haven't checked in a couple of weeks. I feel like I'm losing interest because of the lack of organization. The rollout of MQA was poorly done. I hope that at some point Tidal truly organizes MQA titles.

Yamaha 2010
post #1258 of 1719 Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apparently I have no problem getting gapless playback with my system. The albums I load into the play queue of my Bluesound system play just as they should.

post #1259 of 1719 Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no problem getting gapless playback with my system.
More likely, the music you listen to has no need of gapless play.

I have found gapless is not offered by Tidal at this time.

They claim to be working on it but don't expect it anytime soon.

Indeed, as dscottj said, some music is unlistenable without gapless.

This week I had to abandon listening to both these due to the absence of gapless play.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and Bach, C.P.E.: St. John Passion

Tons of stuff is not listenable without gapless.

On the flip side, rock and pop tend to be unlistenable if you have gapless on.

This music requires a pause between tracks as there is rarely musical continuity.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1260 of 1719 Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I have found gapless is not offered by Tidal at this time.
I'll have to experiment with this soon. I distinctly remember gapless working when using the desktop Tidal client, and very occasionally working using the web client as well. The only place it doesn't work at all is when I use Bubble uPnP, but that's a fault in that software, not the Tidal service.

I've slept since then, so I could be mis-remembering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page