*Official* Tidal music streaming thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 424Likes

post #1261 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 8977
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I'll have to experiment with this soon. I distinctly remember gapless working when using the desktop Tidal client, and very occasionally working using the web client as well. The only place it doesn't work at all is when I use Bubble uPnP, but that's a fault in that software, not the Tidal service.

I've slept since then, so I could be mis-remembering.
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...pless-Playback

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I don't understand what is meant by gapless playback. Honestly.

When I play any album on my turntable, play a CD, or stream an album on Tidal HiFi there is a brief pause between songs and that's how it's always been. Exceptions throughout the years have been there, such as on Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon or some Led Zeppelin albums there are some songs that go "gapless" from one into the other. It's the radio folks who blend one into the other, and I don't always like to miss the very start of very end of certain songs. Radio stations loathe "dead air" so they do it.

I don't feel a need for it. Apparently I'm alone in that?
You've actually identified what is meant by gapless playback, in those "exceptions" you've mentioned. Gapless playback support is required (for those of us that are bothered by the 'artificial' gap that gets inserted by the audio file player when gapless playback isn't supported) precisely for those albums that were originally created with, as you say, "some songs that go gapless from one into the other".

Gapless playback support has nothing to do 'blending' as with what happens on radio, ie, taking away a gap between tracks that wasn't there originally.
eljr likes this.
post #1263 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 355
That article was written a while ago. They could have implemented it by now. I however don't have a clue. So I will just shut up now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.

post #1264 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
That article was written a while ago. They could have implemented it by now. I however don't have a clue. So I will just shut up now.

If you are speaking to me, the link I provided was from the current Tidal "Coming Soon" page.

and I can tell you it did not play gapless for me yesterday nor could I find any gapless feature.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1265 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
If you are speaking to me, the link I provided was from the current Tidal "Coming Soon" page.

and I can tell you it did not play gapless for me yesterday nor could I find any gapless feature.
once gapless is implemented: is it typically automatic or a menu setting?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

Last edited by markrubin; 03-21-2017 at 06:34 AM.
post #1266 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:

It might depend on what software you are using to access TIDAL and also possibly the hardware (especially if it's a streamer).

Certainly the official current Windows version of the TIDAL desktop app ((HiFi account) plays gaplessly (no need for special settings as gapless is automatic). I also use both the BubbleUPnP Android app and the BubbleUPnP Server (on the computer) which give access to TIDAL HiFi for UPnP/DLNA streamers and that is gapless too, BUT the UPnP/DLNA streamer also needs to support gapless playback.

What software are you using to access TIDAL with & what hardware are you playing it on?

Last edited by Cebolla; 03-21-2017 at 06:58 AM.
post #1267 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I've been mostly listening to the gapless playback of the exhaust notes on my motorcycle. This stuff is "taking a backseat" to that until the next winter hits because my son started riding.
yanks1 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #1268 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

The link you provided has a date of 12/26/2016. I just thought that maybe if someone was playing gapless that the page hadn't been updated recently.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #1269 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I get gapless when I'm using the Tidal Mac client as long as the connection is good. The web client will very occasionally manage gapless, but most of the time I have to manually kick the thing from one track to the next. My BubbleuPnP claims to support it but never has to my Pioneer receiver. The developer claims this is due to poor implementations (I haven't registered it as a bug, I probably should.)
Quote:
I'll have to experiment with this soon. I distinctly remember gapless working when using the desktop Tidal client, and very occasionally working using the web client as well. The only place it doesn't work at all is when I use Bubble uPnP, but that's a fault in that software, not the Tidal service.

I've slept since then, so I could be mis-remembering.
So it looks like the Mac version of the TIDAL Desktop app plays gaplessly as well as the Windows version.

The Android BubbleUPnP controller app definitely supports gapless playback, including streaming audio file tracks from its TIDAL connection. In common with other UPnP controllers that support the standard UPnP gapless playback mechanism (not all UPnP controller apps do), the BubbleUPnP Android app issues a SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP event to the UPnP/DLNA streamer at the appropriate time, to get the streamer to cue the next audio file track in order to implement gapless, but only if the streamer supports the SetNextAVTransportURI event.

Your UPnP/DLNA supporting Pioneer receiver most likely doesn't support the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP event and therefore cannot play gaplessly when controlled by a gapless supporting UPnP controller like the BubbleUPnP Anroid app. So definitely not a fault in the BubbleUPnP Android app software and you should certainly report the issue to Pioneer.

Last edited by Cebolla; 03-21-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #1270 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Your UPnP/DLNA supporting Pioneer receiver most likely doesn't support the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP event and therefore cannot play gaplessly when controlled by a gapless supporting UPnP controller like the BubbleUPnP Anroid app. So definitely not a fault in the BubbleUPnP Android app software and you should certainly report the issue to Pioneer.
I guess it's possible. However, gapless playback is a specific feature of my current receiver, and it works just fine when I use its native client to stream from my local DLNA server. My previous Pioneer, which explicitly did NOT support gapless, would not play gapless even from the local DLNA server. That's why I think the trail starts with BubbleUPnP instead of Pioneer.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #1271 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Not really, since with its own remote control app you are operating the Pioneer streamer in 'pull' file mode, ie, the receiver is the master device and knows exactly what the actual complete music file track playlist is (since you've used the receiver's own functions to build the playlist). So the receiver can use its own internal (non-UPnP) mechanism to control gapless playback, as it already knows what file tracks to cue next.

When you use the receiver with a UPnP/DLNA controller app, you are operating it in 'push' file mode, ie, the receiver is the slave device, has no idea what the playlist is and is simply being told what music file track to play next at the appropriate time by the UPnP controller master device.

So your Pioneer receiver's so called gapless playback support will never work with a UPnP/DLNA controller app if it doesn't support the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP event.

Last edited by Cebolla; 03-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #1272 of 1708 Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
So your Pioneer receiver's so called gapless playback support will never work with a UPnP/DLNA controller app if it doesn't support the SetNextAVTransportURI UPnP event.
Well that's disappointing. Ever experiment with Bubble's ability to cast to a Fire TV appliance? I've noticed mine on the list of targets for awhile, never thought to try it before.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #1273 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Certainly the official current Windows version of the TIDAL desktop app ((HiFi account) plays gaplessly (no need for special settings as gapless is automatic).
I'll test it. Thanks for the info.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1274 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Attention fellow MQA enthusiasts using Bluesound

Please see this post in the Bluesound forums, where I requested features to better discover and identify MQA music using their app: https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discu...ca0df4d3183a51 . Please add your thoughts there and encourage the development of such features. Thanks!
markrubin and pappaduke like this.
post #1275 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I did some tinkering with Bubble uPnP controller and my Kindle Fire TV. Streaming straight via its native Fire TV support (I forget what it's called), I still got gaps. I tried to be clever and installed Kodi, a well-known media center software package. In spite of seeing quite a few message board posts that claim it supports gapless, I still got gaps.

For those without a scorecard, what I'm trying to do is stream from Bubble uPnP's native Tidal client to a DLNA player connected to my receiver (so far I've tried the native client on the receiver and the Kodi client side-loaded onto the Kindle Fire TV) and get gapless playback.

Ah, well.

Last edited by dscottj; 03-22-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #1276 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Please see this post in the Bluesound forums, where I requested features to better discover and identify MQA music using their app: https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discu...ca0df4d3183a51 . Please add your thoughts there and encourage the development of such features. Thanks!
Just want to let you know I'm in agreement and have posted my thoughts to the link. By the way, your post was well stated.👍🏾

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
Zone2-Paradigm SE-1's, Zone3-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
post #1277 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Just want to let you know I'm in agreement and have posted my thoughts to the link. By the way, your post was well stated.👍🏾
Great, thank you for contributing to that post. I'd encourage other Bluesound users who are fans of MQA to do the same.
post #1278 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It might depend on what software you are using to access TIDAL and also possibly the hardware (especially if it's a streamer).

Certainly the official current Windows version of the TIDAL desktop app ((HiFi account) plays gaplessly (no need for special settings as gapless is automatic). I also use both the BubbleUPnP Android app and the BubbleUPnP Server (on the computer) which give access to TIDAL HiFi for UPnP/DLNA streamers and that is gapless too, BUT the UPnP/DLNA streamer also needs to support gapless playback.

What software are you using to access TIDAL with & what hardware are you playing it on?
It works!

But I can't use the remote app, I have to use, as you said, the Tidal desktop app for Windows and send the digital signal to my Dac.
So obviously it is limited to the system with the laptop.
markrubin likes this.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #1279 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great, thank you for contributing to that post. I'd encourage other Bluesound users who are fans of MQA to do the same.
I have two things to say about Bluesound:
1. They listen to the consumer.
2. They stand behind their products.
So I do believe at some point MQA titles will get better with their UI.
KenM10759 likes this.

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
post #1280 of 1708 Old 03-22-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll say one more thing about them: Great DAC.

I was at my dealer (NAD/Bluesound/PSB, etc.) today and was listening to a pair of Aerial Acoustics 6T speakers, Yamaha A-S1100 integrated, fed by a Bluesound Node 2 running Tidal MQA. WOW. Sounded great!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #1281 of 1708 Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

MQA Playlists

I received an email from Tidal a couple of days ago. They have added curated MQA playlists!!!! They say that discovery has also been improved. The jury is still out on the discovery part. I'll have to look a little further into it to see how discovery was improved.....Okay, upon further review MQA's are now in alphabetical order according to Artist names. Thank you Tidal.
yanks1 likes this.

Yamaha 2010

Last edited by pappaduke; 04-12-2017 at 12:33 AM.
post #1282 of 1708 Old 04-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't realize the MQA list was alphabetic because the latest added MQA's are listed first, then the alphabetical organization starts.

Yamaha 2010
post #1283 of 1708 Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Interesting conversation going about the MQA tracks. I too have been frustrated trying to figure out what is new.

The purpose of my post here though is to ask if anyone else has had the Xbox one tidal app affected by the most recent Xbox update. Ever since Microsoft rolled out their latest patch, Tidal is a no go. Bummer too since I really liked that interface. I hope the developer has a solution soon.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #1284 of 1708 Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I received an email from Tidal a couple of days ago. They have added curated MQA playlists!!!! They say that discovery has also been improved. The jury is still out on the discovery part. I'll have to look a little further into it to see how discovery was improved.....Okay, upon further review MQA's are now in alphabetical order according to Artist names. Thank you Tidal.
Great to hear it! Where are the curated MQA playlists? I've looked all over the Tidal iOS app and don't see it on the home page, what's new page or under the Playlist section.

Also what have they don't specifically to improve discovery? I don't see any differences.
post #1285 of 1708 Old 04-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Great to hear it! Where are the curated MQA playlists? I've looked all over the Tidal iOS app and don't see it on the home page, what's new page or under the Playlist section.

Also what have they don't specifically to improve discovery? I don't see any differences.
I was using the Mac desktop app for Tidal. Under playlist there is now a masters link just like the one they have for what's new. Haven't checked my iPad or iPhone app yet.
yanks1 likes this.
post #1286 of 1708 Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Need help; my 2nd month using & first month paying for the Tidal masters series

I'm using the latest Tidal PC App using a Dell Laptop E5540 to stream via HDMI Cable to my almost new Yamaha TSR-5810.

My settings in Tidal are set to steam at Hi-Fi/Masters. Yet when i stream masters recordings, sampling rate is still only 48kHz as displayed by my Yammy AVR. My laptop has Windows 10. What can I do to elevate the sampling up to the advertised rate of minimum 96kHz?? thanks a lot
post #1287 of 1708 Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Need help; my 2nd month using & first month paying for the Tidal masters series

I'm using the latest Tidal PC App using a Dell Laptop E5540 to stream via HDMI Cable to my almost new Yamaha TSR-5810.

My settings in Tidal are set to steam at Hi-Fi/Masters. Yet when i stream masters recordings, sampling rate is still only 48kHz as displayed by my Yammy AVR. My laptop has Windows 10. What can I do to elevate the sampling up to the advertised rate of minimum 96kHz?? thanks a lot
Have you tried using the 3.5mm analog out from your PC rather than HDMI? Use a 3.5mm-to-RCA cord and input to an analog input on the receiver.

post #1288 of 1708 Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I have not Ken, but thanks for reply. I am using HDMI cable so rather not go the 3.5mm route but good news!!

I discovered there are various sampling rates in Windows 10, my Dell laptop was set for CD default at 44.1kHz; I selected the highest possible choice which is 24 bit/192 Hz and now the Masters albums are sampling at 96kHz or 192 kHz and sound great

I found the setting by right clicking my speaker icon in lower tray & then selected current playback device my Yamaha AVR. Then right clicked that and got into properties & then advance settings. there you can change the sampling rate sent to your playback device.

Hopefully this will help others who may search for an answer
KenM10759 likes this.

Last edited by yanks1; 04-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #1289 of 1708 Old 04-25-2017, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is the debate over MQA finally settled?
post #1290 of 1708 Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattcothran View Post
Is the debate over MQA finally settled?
I don't think it will ever be settled but Kal Rubinson, Stereophile magazine, did some reviews of MQA and related gear recently you might check out

my own opinion is when I have two tracks of the same song, and one is MQA, I prefer listening to the MQA track
pappaduke and citsur86 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page