Official Nexus Player thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SkOrPn

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Official Nexus Player thread

I'm considering buying a Nexus Player and would like to know if anyone has done a review of it from the perspective of a videophile and audiophile. Hopefully someone has performed an HD benchmark test on it (at least I think that that is what that kind of test is called). How good is its audio-visual performance, technically speaking? Does it support 3D? 1080p24?

As of the moment of this writing, I cannot find any reference to 3D or p24 or 24p (same thing) on the Android TV Help Center site, and obviously that site doesn't have the results of a third-party HD benchmark test. And so far, my Google search has revealed nothing.

Note: according to http://liliputing.com/2014/11/google...ox-review.html there is no Spotify app available for Android TV, or at least, there isn't one that the article's author could find (apparently, searching the Google Play app store on the Nexus Player doesn't actually reveal all matching Android TV apps; what the heck, Google?)

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 11-17-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Have you reviewed the Nexus Player Officially Announced thread?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone used a nexus player with the Slingplayer app? I am wondering how smooth it is compared to the chromecast.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am not sure why google Nexus player is not popular here.

I just bought Nexus player + USB Flirc and fully integrate them into my system with my universal remote URC MX-880.
I have been using Apple TV for Netflix, HBO and youtube and WDTV for local streaming. but these two boxes are getting old and slow.

Now Nexus player replaces both apple tv and WDTV. Here are my takes:
Pros
1) Fast and simple UI
2) have Netflix, youtube.
3) official Kodi (XBMC). This is 100 times better than WDTV.
4) fully integrated with RF universal remote MX-880 using Flirc dongle. One remote to control all devices: TV, Receiver, light, fan, etc.
5) true Android TV vanilla, no skin. meaning future update are quick and supported.
6) app stores. This is big deal since Apple TV currently has no app store
7) global search from any apps
8) powerful 4 core cpu. streaming high bit rate movies, Avatar and Blue Planet Earth, without any stuttering using Kodi. only 35% CPU used and 70% memory used. I used to have AVT 2 running xbmc and these movies stuttered playing on it.

Cons
1) global search only youtube and google related service, no netflix
2) not as polished as Apple devices/services. This is not Nexus player fault alone. this seems to be Google's things
3) netlix has issues with auto-play next episodes
4) wifi only but this does not affect me since I have not experienced any hickup. most of my home devices are using 1Gb ethernet.

I am thinking of buying a second Nexus for my other room, replacing Apple TV.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is this the only Nexus Player thread? I'm at a loss of words. After 3 different smart TV's, 4 different Smart BD players, 3 different HTPC's, 3 different Roku's, and one WD SMP, this Nexus Player is by far the best streaming device I have seen yet, especially with the Pure Nexus ROM flashed onto it. I just cant get over how incredibly excellent the TV experience is now. I have a feeling the NVIDIA SHIELD TV would be even nicer, but I couldn't afford that device and only paid $46.99 for the Nexus Player Android TV device.

Android TV just blows everything else out of the water for me.

EDIT: Maybe you need to rename the thread title to "*Official* Asus Nexus Player Android TV Thread" in order to get more replies here?
wyelkins likes this.

Last edited by SkOrPn; 01-09-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Runs really great with Kodi too.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Kodi sucks though with streaming onto my TV. Only the dedicated streaming apps are worth using. Kodi is Ok with my ripped content though.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Kodi sucks though with streaming onto my TV. Only the dedicated streaming apps are worth using. Kodi is Ok with my ripped content though.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Check you're wi-fi...I'm streaming mpeg2 1080i from my HDHomerun-Extend with no problems at all using Kodi and MythTV frontend...even Silicondust live TV plugin works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
android tv , Google , hd benchmark , nexus player , spotify