Popcorn Hour A-410U Available in US - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Popcorn Hour A-410U Available in US

I got an e-mail from Cloud Media saying that the PCH A-410U is either available in the US through them or will be shortly.

Anyone getting one?

I would have picked up a PCH a while ago but they weren't available so I went with a Mede8er which I really like but I am considering picking one up for my bedroom.


funhouse69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Member
 
WMConey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I got an e-mail from Cloud Media saying that the PCH A-410U is either available in the US through them or will be shortly.

Anyone getting one?

I would have picked up a PCH a while ago but they weren't available so I went with a Mede8er which I really like but I am considering picking one up for my bedroom.

I have one on the way. Hoping it will play my BluRay and DVD ISOs, but even if its no better than my WDTV at that, the audio side looks very attractive. The WD keeps getting more and more sluggish and non-responsive with each firmware update....

Regards.
WMConey is offline  
post #3 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I got an e-mail from Cloud Media saying that the PCH A-410U is either available in the US through them or will be shortly.

Anyone getting one?

I would have picked up a PCH a while ago but they weren't available so I went with a Mede8er which I really like but I am considering picking one up for my bedroom.


Bedroom unit is bad idea. Remember the a410U version has no options to downmix dolby. Dolby can only bit bitstreamed so if your tv does not support dd then you will not get sound for dd files.
halfelite is online now  
post #4 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Bedroom unit is bad idea. Remember the a410U version has no options to downmix dolby. Dolby can only bit bitstreamed so if your tv does not support dd then you will not get sound for dd files.
Interesting / I didn't know that, so maybe I would replace my Mede8er in my livingroom and connected to my surround sound system.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #5 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone know how the PCH handles Forced Subs? I am having a heck of a time getting them to work on my Mede8er without having to select the actual Subtitle Track.

Is this an issue with MKV's the players or both?
funhouse69 is offline  
post #6 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
djc11369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The band aid "fix" for Mede8er is to turn on subtitles in the player settings and have the forced sub track, if it's not the only subtitle track, be the first subtitle track. If you do this then you will not need to manually select it to turn it on. This doesn't fix the first line skip for PGS subtitles in MKV for the Mede8er. I convert the PGS to SUB/IDX to get around that issue. Maybe PCH has less quirks?
djc11369 is offline  
post #7 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I got an e-mail from Cloud Media saying that the PCH A-410U is either available in the US through them or will be shortly.

Anyone getting one?

I would have picked up a PCH a while ago but they weren't available so I went with a Mede8er which I really like but I am considering picking one up for my bedroom.

I've yet to hear from anyone if there is any noticeable difference between the A410 and the A400. I've had a couple of A400's since they launched a couple of years ago. If the A410 is faster because of the extra memory then I would think about picking one up.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #8 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've yet to hear from anyone if there is any noticeable difference between the A410 and the A400. I've had a couple of A400's since they launched a couple of years ago. If the A410 is faster because of the extra memory then I would think about picking one up.
I'm interested in hearing if there's a difference as well.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #9 of 62 Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Interesting / I didn't know that, so maybe I would replace my Mede8er in my livingroom and connected to my surround sound system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Anyone know how the PCH handles Forced Subs? I am having a heck of a time getting them to work on my Mede8er without having to select the actual Subtitle Track.

Is this an issue with MKV's the players or both?

Ye the difference between the 410u is missing dolby downmix. We always suspected the reason sales stopped in the US was due to issues with dolby now it just confirms it.

Forced subtitles inside mkv work fine with PCH, ISO files can be hit and miss depends how the disc was authed. No patch or work around needed.
halfelite is online now  
post #10 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ScottFern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This 410u unit looks interesting. I am currently running a Mede8er 1000X3D but I like the presentation and jukebox better on the 410u. Are the PCH and the Mede8er at the same level of reliability, stability, and playback ability?
ScottFern is offline  
post #11 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
This 410u unit looks interesting. I am currently running a Mede8er 1000X3D but I like the presentation and jukebox better on the 410u. Are the PCH and the Mede8er at the same level of reliability, stability, and playback ability?
Playback ability is pretty equal, with slight difference like forced subtitles and dsf support.

Reliability is pretty close

Stability mede8er has a slight edge The I run both a 600x and a pch400 The 400 will sometimes crash coming out of standby and need a reboot
halfelite is online now  
post #12 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Playback ability is pretty equal, with slight difference like forced subtitles and dsf support.

Reliability is pretty close

Stability mede8er has a slight edge The I run both a 600x and a pch400 The 400 will sometimes crash coming out of standby and need a reboot
What about support? Do they / are there regular updates to their firmware? Do they keep adding additional features like Mede8er?
funhouse69 is offline  
post #13 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
A lot of the features the mede8er has added the a400 shipped with. Built in jukebox, download subtitles, youtube, bunch of other apps, also has a plex app. has had apple/android remotes.
halfelite is online now  
post #14 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Playback ability is pretty equal, with slight difference like forced subtitles and dsf support.

Reliability is pretty close

Stability mede8er has a slight edge The I run both a 600x and a pch400 The 400 will sometimes crash coming out of standby and need a reboot
Really? I guess I don't run into that because I always shut A400's down when finished. I hit the power button and then the delete button to do a full shutdown.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #15 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Member
 
dbaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well here are my emails showing some "history" if interested...

Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting Cloud Media Sales Team.

Currently, we are unable to ship to the United States of America and its administrative regions due to a change in payment and shipment handling policy.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. Rest assured we are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

We will inform you when this situation is resolved.

Thank you for your great supports

Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team
(formally known as Popcorn Hour)
www.cloudmedia.com


On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Cloud Media <sales@cloudmedia.com> wrote:


************************************************** *********************************

On Nov 6, 2014, at 21:49, Cloud Media Sales <sales@cloudmedia.com> wrote:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your great supports on Popcorn Hour.

Here is a survey form to understand for your interest toward our Popcorn Hour A-410.We are in the midst of preparing for the shipment arrangement of Popcorn Hour A-410U (United State Version) to one of our distributor in United States.

Appreciate if you could advice us weather you are still interested to grab one unit for your home theater if this is available in United States.

Kindly reply us with your name and email address so that we may get our distributor to contact you once this is available.

Act now before it is too late.

Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team
(formally known as Popcorn Hour)
www.cloudmedia.com
dbaps is offline  
post #16 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Who will be selling it in the US? I purchased my launch A400 from a dealer in the US but I can't remember who that was.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #17 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Who will be selling it in the US? I purchased my launch A400 from a dealer in the US but I can't remember who that was.
Cloud Media which is where I got my Mede8er which interestingly enough it doesn't look like they sell anymore. I just went to order one of the A-410's and they want $28 for standard shipping. I wonder where they are shipping from.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #18 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Who will be selling it in the US? I purchased my launch A400 from a dealer in the US but I can't remember who that was.
https://www.diamondhomedesign.com
aaronwt likes this.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #19 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Thanks! That's it! That is where I got my launch A400! I just sent them a message about the A410U to see if they plan on offering it.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #20 of 62 Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Thanks! That's it! That is where I got my launch A400! I just sent them a message about the A410U to see if they plan on offering it.
Cool - let us know. They've always been a solid company to order from.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #21 of 62 Old 11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Dhalmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I received my PCH A-410U from Cloud Media last week (direct from Hong Kong). My understanding is that the only difference between the A-410 and the US version ("U") is Dolby licensing. It plays all my blu ray rips nicely, no stutter, over CAT-5 on my network running NFS Server (Hanewin). I use passthrough to my receiver via optical audio for all the tracks but I will be upgrading to an HDMI 2.0 receiver fairly soon when 4K Blu-Ray comes out. The desktop shortcuts are the bomb, from power on of the system to movie watching in less than 10 seconds (kids and wife love it).
Dhalmo is offline  
post #22 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
I received my PCH A-410U from Cloud Media last week (direct from Hong Kong). My understanding is that the only difference between the A-410 and the US version ("U") is Dolby licensing. It plays all my blu ray rips nicely, no stutter, over CAT-5 on my network running NFS Server (Hanewin). I use passthrough to my receiver via optical audio for all the tracks but I will be upgrading to an HDMI 2.0 receiver fairly soon when 4K Blu-Ray comes out. The desktop shortcuts are the bomb, from power on of the system to movie watching in less than 10 seconds (kids and wife love it).
Where did you order from? Cloudmedia is still giving me the 9,999 shipping price.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #23 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 02:41 AM
Member
 
Dhalmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I received an email from them offering the product after I had completed about that shipping error price. Just email them..
Dhalmo is offline  
post #24 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 02:45 AM
Member
 
Dhalmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting Cloud Media Sales Team.


Currently, we are in  the midst of preparing for the for the item of Popcorn Hour A-410U United States Version.

Kindly advice if you are interested on this item?


Here is the price details:

1.Popcorn Hour A-410U = USD 259

2.WN-160P Wireless USB = USD 14.99

3.Shipping cost to ship 1unit ot Popcorn Hour A-410U and WN-160P Wireless USB to Unites States is USD 19.95.


Please provide us with the details as below so that we may help to process for your order:


1.Item to purchase:

2.Quantity to purchase:

3.Name:

4.Shipping address:

5.Contact number:

6.Paypal account email address:


Look forward to hear from you again for further execution.


Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team 

(formally known as Popcorn Hour)

www.cloudmedia.com
Dhalmo is offline  
post #25 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting Cloud Media Sales Team.


Currently, we are in the midst of preparing for the for the item of Popcorn Hour A-410U United States Version.

Kindly advice if you are interested on this item?


Here is the price details:

1.Popcorn Hour A-410U = USD 259

2.WN-160P Wireless USB = USD 14.99

3.Shipping cost to ship 1unit ot Popcorn Hour A-410U and WN-160P Wireless USB to Unites States is USD 19.95.


Please provide us with the details as below so that we may help to process for your order:


1.Item to purchase:

2.Quantity to purchase:

3.Name:

4.Shipping address:

5.Contact number:

6.Paypal account email address:


Look forward to hear from you again for further execution.


Thanks.

Regards,
The Cloud Media Sales Team

(formally known as Popcorn Hour)

www.cloudmedia.com
Cool - thanks!

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #26 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I wonder what it would cost to return a defective unit. A friend of mine got one of those players from DVD Fab that was a Piece of Crap that they said they would RMA but would have cost $80 to ship with tracking otherwise it still would have been $30 with no guarantee that they will ever get it.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #27 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Dhalmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I wonder what it would cost to return a defective unit. A friend of mine got one of those players from DVD Fab that was a Piece of Crap that they said they would RMA but would have cost $80 to ship with tracking otherwise it still would have been $30 with no guarantee that they will ever get it.
I don't know, shipping to hong Kong can't be cheap. That being said, I've owned three popcorn hour machines and have never had a premature failure. Firmware updates are not as frequent as I would prefer but they don't abandon even their oldest products, unlike Samsung. They are very responsive and the community support at networkmediatank.com is excellent.
Dhalmo is offline  
post #28 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I think they used to have support in the US. When the A400 came out two years ago I had an issue with one of the USB ports that came disconnected from the Motherboard. At that time I had sent it somewhere in the US to be fixed. That was when I bought a second A400, used, from someone here at AVS. After that issue with the USB port I bought USB extenders to use on both my boxes so I wouldn't need to connect/disconnect USB drives directly from the USB port. I think it was the side port I had the issue with.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #29 of 62 Old 11-29-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
side port was always weak on the boards. if you buy it from diamond they should handle your RMA's as far as I know. Otherwise yes if it needs repair you are stuck paying shipping but its usually like 20$ something.
halfelite is online now  
post #30 of 62 Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
ScottFern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, just pulled the trigger last night! My A-410U should be shipped with the rest of the orders on December 5th they said. I am excited to compare this unit against my Mede8er and hopefully decide to sell the Mede8er and enjoy some Popcorn Hour!
Dhalmo likes this.
ScottFern is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
a-410u , media player , pch , Popcorn Hour , popcorn hour a-410u
Gear in this thread - a-410u by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off