Media player that plays nice with video_ts folders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ddiehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Media player that plays nice with video_ts folders

As the topic states.. Looking for a media streamer that will play my video_ts folders (DVD rips). Must support chapters and have good picture quality.

Thanks..
ddiehl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Member
 
kjfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure what you are asking. If you would open the file system of a DVD you would see it has audio_ts and video_ts folders. So it is the normal format for playback. You may have an issue with mounting the image. Or you cam rip you discs to ISO format and find a freeware program to mount the image for playback. Any ISO image burned to disc will play on a standard DVD player. However to play from a HDD will require the image to be mounted. IMG Player is a good freeware player. They also have a good ripping tool and burn tool.
kjfalls is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ddiehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
Not sure what you are asking. If you would open the file system of a DVD you would see it has audio_ts and video_ts folders. So it is the normal format for playback. You may have an issue with mounting the image. Or you cam rip you discs to ISO format and find a freeware program to mount the image for playback. Any ISO image burned to disc will play on a standard DVD player. However to play from a HDD will require the image to be mounted. IMG Player is a good freeware player. They also have a good ripping tool and burn tool.

I'm trying to find a player that will play video_ts folders..
ddiehl is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl View Post
As the topic states.. Looking for a media streamer that will play my video_ts folders (DVD rips). Must support chapters and have good picture quality.

Thanks..
I can say for sure / by personal experience that both the Micca and Mede8er Players do. I am sure there are others like Dune, Oppo, PCH (Popcorn Hour) and maybe even a WD TV Live but I don't have personal experiences with them.

My whole DVD Library was in the video_ts folders when I was using an HTPC and a Software Player called TheaterTek. When that died I got the Micca Player which played pretty much everything / anything I would throw at it but it is a very basic player. I picked up the Mede8er and really love the picture / sound quality as well as the built in Scrapper App.

Since then I have started to convert all of my movies to MKV files mainly for compatibility with Plex. Thankfully I figured out that DVD Fab allowed for bulk conversion to MKV files (upwards of 50 at a time) which saved me a lot of time.
funhouse69 is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ddiehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I can say for sure / by personal experience that both the Micca and Mede8er Players do. I am sure there are others like Dune, Oppo, PCH (Popcorn Hour) and maybe even a WD TV Live but I don't have personal experiences with them.

My whole DVD Library was in the video_ts folders when I was using an HTPC and a Software Player called TheaterTek. When that died I got the Micca Player which played pretty much everything / anything I would throw at it but it is a very basic player. I picked up the Mede8er and really love the picture / sound quality as well as the built in Scrapper App.

Since then I have started to convert all of my movies to MKV files mainly for compatibility with Plex. Thankfully I figured out that DVD Fab allowed for bulk conversion to MKV files (upwards of 50 at a time) which saved me a lot of time.
I've tried converting a few to MKV, and unless I'm doing it wrong I could never keep chapter support intact- just basic fast-forward/re-wind which dropped the WAF greatly as she- much to my chagrin loves to skip around when watching movies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start researching those..
ddiehl is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl View Post
I've tried converting a few to MKV, and unless I'm doing it wrong I could never keep chapter support intact- just basic fast-forward/re-wind which dropped the WAF greatly as she- much to my chagrin loves to skip around when watching movies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start researching those..
MKV Files absolutely supports Chapters so maybe it is how you are converting them? Have you tried MakeMKV? Its currently free while in Beta. That is what a lot of people use but as I said I used DVD Fab to do mine as it supports multiple files at once which made life a whole lot easier for me.

I just double checked and MakeMKV Absolutely retains the chapters, I took a video_ts rip like you have and opened it up with MakeMKV and it came right up and said 18 Chapters.

So unless you ripped them in some funky way (which i doubt if it works in that format) that would cause it?
funhouse69 is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NUTMEG STATE
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 535
]
KDLINKS HD720 great player.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 11-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.
mickinct is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ddiehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
]
KDLINKS HD720 great player.
That looks really good..

One question I forget to mention.. Will this support nested folders?

For example I have a few series box sets on my HTPC and instead of having pages of episodes I place them into a main folder and drill down to the season and episode I wish to watch.
ddiehl is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Dhalmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl View Post
As the topic states.. Looking for a media streamer that will play my video_ts folders (DVD rips). Must support chapters and have good picture quality.

Thanks..
I use the Popcorn Hour A-410U from Cloud Media. Plays everything under the sun, including Blu-Ray rips. All DVD folder structures and menus are preserved. Best wife factor in existence short of a dedicated HTPC running XBMC, but even that's buggy. I swear by this device.
Dhalmo is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off