Media player that plays nice with video_ts folders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Media player that plays nice with video_ts folders

As the topic states.. Looking for a media streamer that will play my video_ts folders (DVD rips). Must support chapters and have good picture quality.

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure what you are asking. If you would open the file system of a DVD you would see it has audio_ts and video_ts folders. So it is the normal format for playback. You may have an issue with mounting the image. Or you cam rip you discs to ISO format and find a freeware program to mount the image for playback. Any ISO image burned to disc will play on a standard DVD player. However to play from a HDD will require the image to be mounted. IMG Player is a good freeware player. They also have a good ripping tool and burn tool.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
Not sure what you are asking. If you would open the file system of a DVD you would see it has audio_ts and video_ts folders. So it is the normal format for playback. You may have an issue with mounting the image. Or you cam rip you discs to ISO format and find a freeware program to mount the image for playback. Any ISO image burned to disc will play on a standard DVD player. However to play from a HDD will require the image to be mounted. IMG Player is a good freeware player. They also have a good ripping tool and burn tool.

I'm trying to find a player that will play video_ts folders..
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl View Post
As the topic states.. Looking for a media streamer that will play my video_ts folders (DVD rips). Must support chapters and have good picture quality.

Thanks..
I can say for sure / by personal experience that both the Micca and Mede8er Players do. I am sure there are others like Dune, Oppo, PCH (Popcorn Hour) and maybe even a WD TV Live but I don't have personal experiences with them.

My whole DVD Library was in the video_ts folders when I was using an HTPC and a Software Player called TheaterTek. When that died I got the Micca Player which played pretty much everything / anything I would throw at it but it is a very basic player. I picked up the Mede8er and really love the picture / sound quality as well as the built in Scrapper App.

Since then I have started to convert all of my movies to MKV files mainly for compatibility with Plex. Thankfully I figured out that DVD Fab allowed for bulk conversion to MKV files (upwards of 50 at a time) which saved me a lot of time.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I can say for sure / by personal experience that both the Micca and Mede8er Players do. I am sure there are others like Dune, Oppo, PCH (Popcorn Hour) and maybe even a WD TV Live but I don't have personal experiences with them.

My whole DVD Library was in the video_ts folders when I was using an HTPC and a Software Player called TheaterTek. When that died I got the Micca Player which played pretty much everything / anything I would throw at it but it is a very basic player. I picked up the Mede8er and really love the picture / sound quality as well as the built in Scrapper App.

Since then I have started to convert all of my movies to MKV files mainly for compatibility with Plex. Thankfully I figured out that DVD Fab allowed for bulk conversion to MKV files (upwards of 50 at a time) which saved me a lot of time.
I've tried converting a few to MKV, and unless I'm doing it wrong I could never keep chapter support intact- just basic fast-forward/re-wind which dropped the WAF greatly as she- much to my chagrin loves to skip around when watching movies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start researching those..
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I've tried converting a few to MKV, and unless I'm doing it wrong I could never keep chapter support intact- just basic fast-forward/re-wind which dropped the WAF greatly as she- much to my chagrin loves to skip around when watching movies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start researching those..
MKV Files absolutely supports Chapters so maybe it is how you are converting them? Have you tried MakeMKV? Its currently free while in Beta. That is what a lot of people use but as I said I used DVD Fab to do mine as it supports multiple files at once which made life a whole lot easier for me.

I just double checked and MakeMKV Absolutely retains the chapters, I took a video_ts rip like you have and opened it up with MakeMKV and it came right up and said 18 Chapters.

So unless you ripped them in some funky way (which i doubt if it works in that format) that would cause it?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 535
]
KDLINKS HD720 great player.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 11-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
]
KDLINKS HD720 great player.
That looks really good..

One question I forget to mention.. Will this support nested folders?

For example I have a few series box sets on my HTPC and instead of having pages of episodes I place them into a main folder and drill down to the season and episode I wish to watch.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks..
I use the Popcorn Hour A-410U from Cloud Media. Plays everything under the sun, including Blu-Ray rips. All DVD folder structures and menus are preserved. Best wife factor in existence short of a dedicated HTPC running XBMC, but even that's buggy. I swear by this device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page