AVS Forum banner

roku stick or chromecast....which is better for slingplayer and netflix?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OCSMITH 
#1 ·
I am looking for the best streaming stick mostly for use with Netflix and sling box's slingplayer app? I'm mostly interested in the picture quality difference between the two, ease of use and connection quality. This is for an outside TV so I like the portability despite their known sluggishness.. Pricing is close enough between the two of them to where that's not much of an issue. Also, does anyone know if there's a new version of either unit coming out that might be better?

Thanks

#2 ·
I can't help with the Slingbox, but for Netflix—

I have Chromecasts on two 32" 720p sets, and a Roku 3 stick on a 48" 1080p set. I don't notice a picture quality difference between them, but then again, I'm not looking for PQ difference.

For ease of use, it's a different story. My wife, despite having the Netflix app on her phone, will not operate a Chromecast. She has no problem with the Roku.

#3 · (Edited)
I'd say that if you have to ask, then go with the Roku. Mostly because you have a normal remote control interface and are not a slave to controlling with a tablet or similar device. That makes it easy for anyone to use.

The only time I prefer the Chromecast interface is when I am playing YouTube videos, where I can browse and queue up videos while one is playing. The only other time it is a bit better is with the Watch ESPN app, where I like to switch between games quickly.

For Netflix and almost all other media apps, the Roku is the best choice.

If the Fire TV stick had a slingbox app, I'd say go with it.

I doubt Chromecast will have anything new anytime soon. I'd guess Roku will eventually have a better stick, but I haven't heard anything.

#4 ·
I am looking for the best streaming stick mostly for use with Netflix and sling box's slingplayer app? I'm mostly interested in the picture quality difference between the two, ease of use and connection quality. This is for an outside TV so I like the portability despite their known sluggishness.. Pricing is close enough between the two of them to where that's not much of an issue. Also, does anyone know if there's a new version of either unit coming out that might be better?

Thanks

Fire Stick ..... the app is very good....I have them all...they just came out with new app....only your remote needed no phone....;):):D

#5 ·
Cool. Thanks for the info. I went on the slingbox forum and sure enough, there was a post by them today stating they had it for the fire tv!! Have you had a chance to play around with the slingplayer app? How is the audio quality? Is it correctly synched with the video? Video Quality? How is the wifi reception? Sorry about all the questions....Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.