AVS Forum banner

MKV + Dune = Failure..Looking Other Options

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  barrygordon 
#1 ·
Well, after trying to convert several iso's BD movies to MKV with both DVDFab and MakeMKV, still no luck. Once I make the MKV, I move it to my WHS it will not play, just sits there like a picture show. Now when I copy to the internal HD in the Dune player, the MKV plays fine, but video is full of artifacts (have same issue with iso's of SD movies).

My main goal was to convert library (400+ movies/TV shows) to MKV and use the PLEX software to play thru the Xbox One. Ruling this as issues with the DUNE player. So, looking at converting the movies I enjoy the most to MKV, transfer to an external HD and connecting to either my router or the Xbox to use with PLEX. Which router would work best? Router (Netgear r7000) or the Xbox one?

On a side note, for those using DVDFab to convert to MKV, are there any specific setting to use to get best quality? I set it to same as source thinking this was best route.

Thx, Scott

#7 ·
Do a speed test using the internal speed test of Dune and report back. This will tell if your network is up to speed.The Dune Base 3.0 is one of the best media players made. Yours made be defective, if not then your network performance is to blame.

#6 ·
i (and many others) can perfectly play mkv on my Dune, using DVDFab or recently MakeMKV. Problem seems to be on your side and may be the way you rip, not the dune.

PS : you won't be able to use plex on your X1 without the plex server (on your PC or NAS).
PS2 : X1 is unable to play a lot of mkv and can't bitstream HD audio (so forget about DTS HD tracks), can't change audio tracks and can't display subtitles if you use the X1 media player.

#8 · (Edited)
I've got literally 1000's of mkv's on my server- if the Dune has trouble playing one- I know 100% it's a problem with the file not the Dune.
That's how reliable the Dune is for playing mkv's.

DL the test files at the bottom of this page and try them on your Dune:
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/test_w1.html

#9 ·
I've got literally 1000's of mkv's on my server- if the Dune has trouble playing one- I know 100% it's a problem with the file not the Dune.
That's how reliable the Dune is for playing mkv's.

DL the test files at the bottom of this page and try them on your Dune:
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/test_w1.html
Thnking it has to be in the settings of DVDFab that is the issue. I use the same software to make the iso image and they all play flawless from the Dune player. Just unsure which setting to start fiddling with to get it right.

On the other side, have always had issues with the iso image of SD movies. They would play but displayed the same artifacts as these MKV's I am trying to make. I just stayed away from SD and stuck with the BD and have no issues.

Sucks the Xbox can't play with MKV and HD audio. Spend all this money on a supposed living room do-it-all device, but has limitations. . My Plex server runs from my PC with the videos on the server. If only the Plex people could get their software to work with iso, would solve everything.

Thx

#10 ·
After doing some tests, have come to the conclusion that my issue is with the Dune Player itself.
I did a reset of the setting on the Dune Player; played the BD iso's I have from the internal HD, and had the same exact artifacts as I get with SD videos and MKV.
I go into the Dune setting and disable the 2 setting for the BD enhancement, and the BD iso's play perfectly once again; but still problems with the SD and MKV videos. Had this issue with the Dune player and SD videos from the beginning, that is why I stayed away from SD disks and only played the BD ones.
After converting several BD movies with both MKVmaker and DVDFab, there is no way that both would cause the exact same issues. The MKV's I made play perfectly on my PC and mobile devices, just have issues on the Dune itself (no network, just internal over HDMI).
So either there is an issue with the Dune and these SD/MKV files, or there are setting that need to be changed to allow a good playback.
I have tried changing the setting that I know, but now luck.

So for those with Dune Players (I have Base 3.0), what setting are you using to get good SD/MKV playback? or do I just have a bad player for these type files?

Thx, Scott

#11 ·
Dune Player Issues

I have a Dune Base 3.0, a Dune Max HD, One working perfectly and one with a problem (Hardware) that I can not get repaired by Dune HD (more on that later).

I rip all my movies, Bluray and DVD, using MakeMKV to an unRaid NAS setup for SMB access. The rips are just the basic video and advanced audio files. No previews or warning messages, no subtitles unless English forced. I use a fixed template in MakeMKV to do this. Everything plays perfectly. The Dune feeds an Anthem AVM 50v which handles all the audio and passes the video, unmolested, to a JVC RS-58 projector which images on a 133" 1.1 gain screen.

Now on the Dune; the Dune was/is the best rendering system for movies I have seen, up till now. I have it on very good grounds that Dune has effectively discontinued support!! They are leaving the Consumer oriented business and trying to focus on the IPTV business.

I do not use any of the "Menu or graphic interface" options. I control the Dune over TCP/IP giving it the URC of the file to play. I was an Alpha/ Beta tester for the IP control portion of the Dune firmware, so I know it quite well. My theater is fully controlled by a PC which gets its commands from either a Pronto PRO or an iPad/iPhone over wifi. The PC controls every component in the room (TCP, RS232, IR) plus all lighting, callerID and HVAC. I have a full librarian that runs on the PC to select the Movie/Concert/TV Episode. The librarian displays on the main screen, think kalaidescape.

I have two DUNE MAX units, one of which is a brick. It will not power up after two years of unfailing service. Dune has been zero help in getting the unit repaired. No longer even answers eMails. If you go to the contact page, it provides a link for technical support. If you follow that link it tells you that the page does not exist. I have requested a place to send the unit, a replacement board, Schematics, . . . NARDA no support at all.

I took a raspberry Pi B+ and put up the OpenELEC version of XBMC Gotham 13. Overclocked the pi (from 700 to 900 MHZ, with some voltage uptick). Changed the PC software to form either the Dune IP command or the XBMC IP command. The Pi plays the movie as well as the Dune. The Pi System cost me $60 for the board, power supply, case and HDMI cable as a bundle (with a Wi-Fi/USB adapter which I don't use). If I didn't have my Librarian running on the PC I would just use XBMC in all its full glory.

#13 ·
....I took a raspberry Pi B+ and put up the OpenELEC version of XBMC Gotham 13. Overclocked the pi (from 700 to 900 MHZ, with some voltage uptick)...... The Pi plays the movie as well as the Dune. The Pi System cost me $60 for the board, power supply, case and HDMI cable as a bundle (with a Wi-Fi/USB adapter which I don't use). If I didn't have my Librarian running on the PC I would just use XBMC in all its full glory.
I bought a spare Pi B+ back on Black Friday when the egg was selling them for $29 and free shipping.
I installed OpenELEC version of XBMC Gotham too. I ran it for a few days instead of my Dune HD Smart- I also observed it's picture quality & performance was equal to the many times more expensive Dune. I keep the $29 Pi in a box per-configured as a ready replacement for my Dune if it ever fails.

#12 ·
I have purposely stayed away from iso. When I want to watch a movie, I want to watch the movie as the Director released it in the "Theatrical" release. My process is as follows: I put the disc in my DVD reader on the PC which can read Bluray or dvd with no issues. I start makeMKV. It loads and asks me if I want to update the firmware to the latest release. I always do that. The new firmware loads and the disc is read. I have a preferences template:

-sel:all,+sel:audio&(eng),-sel:(havemulti),-sel:mvcvideo,+sel:subtitle&(eng),-sel:special,=100:all,-10:eng

This skips all short files (previews, warnings, etc.) and presents me with a tree of what is on the disk after the preferences filter has been applied. I uncheck various things I do not want and just leave the main tree. I look at that tree and uncheck anything that I do not want. I then tell it to process and I end up with a single .mkv file on the NAS at the location I specified.

This file is what I send to the Dune. Works every time for every movie I have tried.

#14 ·
SO no changing bitrates or level of quality or sound files when using make MKV?
Its so irritating that everything works for the BD, but not with a simple SD.
The picture has what I can best describe as a red rainbow/line across the screen.
It seems that a simple setting in the Dune software needs to be changed to fix it. That's what I did for the BD and problem solved.
Oh well, either stick with iso's or look for another media player to use with my server.
Maybe one day the Xbox One will release something that will work.

Thx

#17 ·
That is very strange. The only issue I have had with any of my Dune players and mkv movie files was when a Dune Player Power Supply failed and the unit would not turn on. As I stated I have a dune base 3. If you want send me the mkv file that is failing. Use sendspace. You stated it is a SD file so it should not be too large. My name is barry and I own the domain the-gordons.net so you should be able to figure out my eMail address. (me@mydomain). I will try it on my Dune Players (and the Rpi and let you know the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.