DISH Sling TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #31 of 629 Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got the sling TV app on my roku TV (cheap office hisense from bestbuy). Works great. Watched espn and CNN today while working. App literally is seamless from PC, phone, mac to TV. I like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post
Got the sling TV app on my roku TV (cheap office hisense from bestbuy). Works great. Watched espn and CNN today while working. App literally is seamless from PC, phone, mac to TV. I like that.
+1
I have tried it across 3 different platforms and it has been seamless also. The only hiccup I am noticing is that of all the channels, Disney tends to downmix frequently to SD. I have 50 Mb internet and have never had a problem streaming 3 netflix shows and using a laptop etc, so I know this is an issue with SlingTV, plus none of the other channels are doing it, just the Disney feed.

Epson 5030ub || Marantz 7009 || Emotiva XPA-5|| Red Dragon Audio M500 SKII monoblocks x 2 || Oppo 103|| SVS Prime Towers || Prime Center || Prime Satellites x 8 || SVS PB-2000 x 2 || VApex 110" standard electric screen || wife|| 2 kids || dog
post #33 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Man...I'm still waiting on an invite, guess it's the luck of the draw at this point.

post #34 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
+1
I have tried it across 3 different platforms and it has been seamless also. The only hiccup I am noticing is that of all the channels, Disney tends to downmix frequently to SD. I have 50 Mb internet and have never had a problem streaming 3 netflix shows and using a laptop etc, so I know this is an issue with SlingTV, plus none of the other channels are doing it, just the Disney feed.
Is it going to SD on all devices? I've noticed it goes SD more than I would think, but it never stays there long (less than 10 seconds for me). I don't notice it with any other channel either.
I don't have the kids pack, so not sure if it affects junior and XD. Except Junior plays on Disney main channel quite often.
post #35 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do they want credit card info for the free 7 day trial? Do they take paypal? What older versions of android will the app run on?

Anyone know these questions? I just called with the invite and someone picked up the phone in 2 rings which was good. The bad was their system is down for 3 hours...
post #36 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post
Do they want credit card info for the free 7 day trial? Do they take paypal? What older versions of android will the app run on?

Anyone know these questions? I just called with the invite and someone picked up the phone in 2 rings which was good. The bad was their system is down for 3 hours...
Yes, they want a CC for the account. You will get billed monthly price after trial if you want to keep service.

Do not take paypal (but they did tell me when they launch the customer portal fully that other payment will be possible).

No clue on android version. The system that is down must be the setup system as the service is working fine right now for me.
post #37 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, they want a CC for the account. You will get billed monthly price after trial if you want to keep service.

Do not take paypal (but they did tell me when they launch the customer portal fully that other payment will be possible).

No clue on android version. The system that is down must be the setup system as the service is working fine right now for me.

Thanks. I found out that you need Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 or newer. http://help.sling.com/FAQs
post #38 of 629 Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 PM

I can't decide if not having commercials on ESPN is annoying or refreshing. I do now mute the music though as it got annoying fast.
post #39 of 629 Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
+1
I see that Disney is using the Watch Disney, XD, Junior feeds and when I had the Roku 3 connected it would drop down to SD everytime after about 5 minutes then I had to quit it for a while usually a few hours then play it again just to drop down to SD after about 5 minutes. The Chromecast and Fire TV watch apps refused to ever go to HD at all. PC and phone playback was not that sharp looked more like SD to me. The only device that still can play and maintain a HD picture on the Watch Disney channels is the Apple TV 3. So if the Sling TV is doing it only on the Disney channels then that is most likely the cause. A fix would be if the Apple TV got a Sling TV app.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Apple TV (2015), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
post #40 of 629 Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I see that Disney is using the Watch Disney, XD, Junior feeds and when I had the Roku 3 connected it would drop down to SD everytime after about 5 minutes then I had to quit it for a while usually a few hours then play it again just to drop down to SD after about 5 minutes. The Chromecast and Fire TV watch apps refused to ever go to HD at all. PC and phone playback was not that sharp looked more like SD to me. The only device that still can play and maintain a HD picture on the Watch Disney channels is the Apple TV 3. So if the Sling TV is doing it only on the Disney channels then that is most likely the cause. A fix would be if the Apple TV got a Sling TV app.
After doing some googling the other night I learned this also. But it sounds like this is a Disney stream issue (at least that's where all the blame is pointed). I would think they should get this figured out or Slingtv is going to have everybody griping about it.

Epson 5030ub || Marantz 7009 || Emotiva XPA-5|| Red Dragon Audio M500 SKII monoblocks x 2 || Oppo 103|| SVS Prime Towers || Prime Center || Prime Satellites x 8 || SVS PB-2000 x 2 || VApex 110" standard electric screen || wife|| 2 kids || dog
post #41 of 629 Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM

I noticed the disney junior app on my sons iPad having resolution issues last night. Didn't have a chance to check Disney on Sling at the same time though.
post #42 of 629 Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I noticed the disney junior app on my sons iPad having resolution issues last night. Didn't have a chance to check Disney on Sling at the same time though.
The Disney JR app on the Roku will never play HD in our experience either.

post #43 of 629 Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 PM

From their FAQ:
Sports Extra (coming soon!) – Networks include: SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports, and beIN Sports

$5 available now

Last edited by SatinKzo; 02-06-2015 at 06:54 PM.
post #44 of 629 Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I just got an invite. You can order the Sports package right now. It's all online (unlike people who signed up a few days earlier, you don't have to call a phone # anymore). They have apps for PC, Mac, iOS, Android and Roku right now. FireTV, Fire Stick, Xbox and Nexus Player apps are all coming soon.
post #45 of 629 Old 02-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question DATA caps

Ever since I heard about Sling TV at CES 2015 and the great reviews it is getting, I've been waiting for it to come out so I can test it before telling Cox to "take a hike". However, for you people who stream A LOT of content, I have a few questions about the Data Caps you say you get. Any info you can give me would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to cut the cord, get Sling TV and then all of a sudden have a bad experience because I reach my data cap and Cox cuts my service off, they throttle my speed down, or send me a bill for over usage.

#1 . I've seen some of you post data caps of 250GB - 300GB. How do you find out what your current caps are and how do you see how much you're using? My cable bill (unlike my cell phone bill) doesn't show usage at all.

#2 . For the people who have caps, how much streaming do you have to do to go over? By this, I mean, if I were to watch tv using sling the same way I watch tv now (I would say just regular usage) would I be at risk of going over my limit? I know this answer will vary by person.

Thank You,

Lando
post #46 of 629 Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I just got an invite. You can order the Sports package right now. It's all online (unlike people who signed up a few days earlier, you don't have to call a phone # anymore). They have apps for PC, Mac, iOS, Android and Roku right now. FireTV, Fire Stick, Xbox and Nexus Player apps are all coming soon.

Any talk of coming to the Apple tv? Or is Apple going their own way like normal
post #47 of 629 Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando4534 View Post
Ever since I heard about Sling TV at CES 2015 and the great reviews it is getting, I've been waiting for it to come out so I can test it before telling Cox to "take a hike". However, for you people who stream A LOT of content, I have a few questions about the Data Caps you say you get. Any info you can give me would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to cut the cord, get Sling TV and then all of a sudden have a bad experience because I reach my data cap and Cox cuts my service off, they throttle my speed down, or send me a bill for over usage.

#1 . I've seen some of you post data caps of 250GB - 300GB. How do you find out what your current caps are and how do you see how much you're using? My cable bill (unlike my cell phone bill) doesn't show usage at all.

#2 . For the people who have caps, how much streaming do you have to do to go over? By this, I mean, if I were to watch tv using sling the same way I watch tv now (I would say just regular usage) would I be at risk of going over my limit? I know this answer will vary by person.

Thank You,

Lando
Comcast while it doesn't enforce data caps they have a meter in the profile pages. So you can see how much you use. I would have to believe any company that actually enforces a cap would have to provide the user with a meter. I'd look around you account pages for a meter.
post #48 of 629 Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 844
post #49 of 629 Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
Comcast while it doesn't enforce data caps they have a meter in the profile pages. So you can see how much you use. I would have to believe any company that actually enforces a cap would have to provide the user with a meter. I'd look around you account pages for a meter.
Comcast enforces caps in a few areas and charges when the customer exceed the cap after three grace period months (give you 3 months of over the cap to figure out what the usage is etc). Then they charge $10 per 50gb.

For this reason, I opted to drop all channels with comcast, convert cable internet to business class and get better speed and support for about the same price as stand alone 50meg residential from them. I ended up with a 75/15 tier that they don't even offer to residential. Last month, I used 934gb of data according to my meter. no caps on business lines.
himey and groundtrac like this.
post #50 of 629 Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Heads up....not sure why, but the sling software stopped working. It would start but no video or audio on any station even at lowest quality. Restarted win 8.1 pc and had same issue. Reinstalled software and all seems fine...
post #51 of 629 Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post
Any talk of coming to the Apple tv? Or is Apple going their own way like normal
I've heard nothing about Sling and Apple TV. I've heard that Sling and Sony are head-butting on this, and so there are no near-term plans to bring Sling to the Playstation. Unfortunately I don't have a source handy (it's just something I've read online recently).
post #52 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 AM

Apple and Sling won't be anytime soon based on an interview comment is that Sling wants all the devices to have same interface and Apple won't allow the apps to deviate from their standard.
post #53 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 131
After a couple of days of use in my trial first week, I cancelled. Not even worth $20. App (sideloaded to Fire TV) fairly nicely built, HD channels stream well. Liked ability (on some channels) to play content up to 3 days back. But, it's still cable or satellite, and I remember why I cut the cable in the first place... rarely watched most of those channels.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #54 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
After a couple of days of use in my trial first week, I cancelled. Not even worth $20. App (sideloaded to Fire TV) fairly nicely built, HD channels stream well. Liked ability (on some channels) to play content up to 3 days back. But, it's still cable or satellite, and I remember why I cut the cable in the first place... rarely watched most of those channels.
I have to agree that most of the channels aren't worth it, but I'll stick with it for the ESPN channels alone.
post #55 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Sling just blogged about going live: http://blog.sling.com/announcements/...ve-whos-first/

Notable mentions: AMC will be coming to the core $20 package and they're working on "new features you’ve told us you care about". No idea what those are (DVR for all channels? Multiple streams?) but it's nice to see they're talking about improvements.
groundtrac likes this.
post #56 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 431
We have been giving Sling TV a try. While I like the concept.....and for us the channels we (wife/HGTV) like to watch.......not being able to fast forward past commercials when watching previous day shows is really annoying. The other thing is the one device at a time. Lost count how many times I got yelled at cause I forgot about that limitations and starting watching something on my IPAD

Most likely gonna cancel. Just too many limitations.
steve771 and reddice like this.
post #57 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
We have been giving Sling TV a try. While I like the concept.....and for us the channels we (wife/HGTV) like to watch.......not being able to fast forward past commercials when watching previous day shows is really annoying. The other thing is the one device at a time. Lost count how many times I got yelled at cause I forgot about that limitations and starting watching something on my IPAD

Most likely gonna cancel. Just too many limitations.
I would have to agree. Being an old guy, as a kid, I remember live tv (yeah, only 5 channels). I didn't remember how bad it sucks, and it really does. When you are now used to DVR, FF/REW, commercial skip, on demand, etc., facing the live tv restriction isn't somewhere I want to go. Again, being an old guy, I remember planning our evening to catch a certain show that was on at a certain time. We've all moved past that, and this isn't nostalgic, it's archaic. At least back then those 5 channels were free.

While a few of the weaker channels let you go back a few days, the biggies don't, and that's really a deal breaker. And what's with adding the garbage Estrell and Galavision channels? Just more junk, no value, ala cable/sat. What's next, HSN & QVC? Yuck.

Hopefully though, this will lead to competition and maybe we can get to the ala carte channel we all want. One can dream.
post #58 of 629 Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just remember everyone, we are in the "baby" stages of streaming cable channels in cheap packages. This is ALL NEW.

There will be major hurdles to overcome. So just be patient. It will take at least 4-5 years MINIMUM to work kinks/costs/etc... But they will be fixed/overcome.

First one IMHO is the allowing of only one stream at a time. This will change. Trust me. And will change fast. That should be rectified by the end of the year hopefully.

So you have got to be patient. Which is tough with technology to people under the age of 30(41 myself). They just want instant gratification, and the world does not work that way. Things grow over time.

I was first introduced to Netflix streaming, I believe, around 2003. Maybe sooner, i do not remember. It may have started before that. It had MAJOR ISSUES and LIMITATIONS.

Look at it now, 12 years later. That's right, 12 YEARS LATER! It is great, and still growing. Rome was not built in a day.
JiminSTL likes this.
post #59 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
Just remember everyone, we are in the "baby" stages of streaming cable channels in cheap packages. This is ALL NEW.

There will be major hurdles to overcome. So just be patient. It will take at least 4-5 years MINIMUM to work kinks/costs/etc... But they will be fixed/overcome.

First one IMHO is the allowing of only one stream at a time. This will change. Trust me. And will change fast. That should be rectified by the end of the year hopefully.

So you have got to be patient. Which is tough with technology to people under the age of 30(41 myself). They just want instant gratification, and the world does not work that way. Things grow over time.

I was first introduced to Netflix streaming, I believe, around 2003. Maybe sooner, i do not remember. It may have started before that. It had MAJOR ISSUES and LIMITATIONS.

Look at it now, 12 years later. That's right, 12 YEARS LATER! It is great, and still growing. Rome was not built in a day.
Good post and many good comments. I am hoping this company is more agile then what we are used to. It's tough to wait for things, but I am happy with the setup right now. We are all spoiled by the Netflix's and Amazon's of the internet now. Sling will either continue to innovate or wither and die. They put the burden on them with no contracts, easy to sign up and cancel. They have no worries except for their infrastructure, no hardware to maintain with customers. They can focus on value and content
post #60 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I know Sling isn't perfect, but my worry is that it will fail because people aren't willing to accept a few limitations, and then the industry won't change.

IMHO, it's very important for Sling to succeed. And, I agree with everything SteelersRule said.
groundtrac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page