Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #61 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have been a cord cutter since April 2014, and this service is a nice complement to my Tablo DVR. My kids still like to watch Cartoon Network, and watch all the ESPN/SEC sports channels, plus AMC.

At least for me, the ESPN channels have better picture quality on my TV (via Roku 3) than the WatchESPN app. That is a big selling point for me.

My only worry is that as Sling TV adds more and more subscribers, will their servers be able to handle the load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 153
a few questions for those that subscribe already:

1. I have three tvs on 3 different levels of the house. Do I need a separate subscription for each tv?

2. Can u DVR n fwd commercials or do u have to watch commercials?

3. ESPN is cool. As a sports fan I need much more than espn. Anything else on the horizon regarding sports?

4. are the channels live tv or ondemand style like hulu?

5. does espn include monday night football?
post #63 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
1.) yes 2.) no 3.) yes 4.) not sure about other stations but espn is live 5.) yes

post #64 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
Just remember everyone, we are in the "baby" stages of streaming cable channels in cheap packages. This is ALL NEW.

There will be major hurdles to overcome. So just be patient. It will take at least 4-5 years MINIMUM to work kinks/costs/etc... But they will be fixed/overcome.

First one IMHO is the allowing of only one stream at a time. This will change. Trust me. And will change fast. That should be rectified by the end of the year hopefully.

So you have got to be patient. Which is tough with technology to people under the age of 30(41 myself). They just want instant gratification, and the world does not work that way. Things grow over time.

I was first introduced to Netflix streaming, I believe, around 2003. Maybe sooner, i do not remember. It may have started before that. It had MAJOR ISSUES and LIMITATIONS.

Look at it now, 12 years later. That's right, 12 YEARS LATER! It is great, and still growing. Rome was not built in a day.
I agree somewhat. Just not willing to pay a monthly fee while they work the kinks out.
post #65 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post
1.) yes 2.) no 3.) yes 4.) not sure about other stations but espn is live 5.) yes
Just to be clear. I can watch three different channels on three different tv's with just one subscription?
post #66 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Just to be clear. I can watch three different channels on three different tv's with just one subscription?
No.

With 1 subscription you can only use SLING TV on one device at a time. Soon as you launch it on another device it kills the current one. Its really annoying and perhaps the one thing they need address first before anything else.
post #67 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I know Sling isn't perfect, but my worry is that it will fail because people aren't willing to accept a few limitations, and then the industry won't change.

IMHO, it's very important for Sling to succeed. And, I agree with everything SteelersRule said.
I agree somewhat. The problem is that several of the things I consider deal breakers are in fact limitations forced on SLING TV by the content providers not SLING themselves. So I just don't see how giving or not giving SLING $$$ will make one bit of difference.

The only thing I see that SLING could have control of is the multi-device limitations....that seems like something they are doing on their own to try to force people into multiple subscriptions. Can't blame the providers for that since currently we can WatchESPN on as many devices as we want and they don't care. I don't consider this a "small" limitation in this day and age.

In the end I am not gonna pay $20.00/mo for something that it going to piss me off everytime I forget that I need to make sure no one else in the house is streaming anything before I launch SLING. The rest (DVR, skipping commercials, etc) I can deal with.

ATM it would cost me another $55.00 or so to add basic cable TV back to my account with Brighthouse which would get me these channels on every TV with DVR support. At $20.00 I can see the benefit but if I am looking at $60.00+ for multiple subscriptions without DVR functionality it is becomes a really bad alternative and fixes none of our current problems with the industry.

Personally I think SLING is more for the mobile device-only crowd and perhaps the single guy living in a single room apartment -vs- households.

Last edited by RafaelSmith; 02-10-2015 at 10:04 AM.
post #68 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

I'll wait and see how this shakes out in the future. Now I'm wondering if the upcoming "cut the cord" hbo, showtime, etc. will allow u to watch 3 different shows on different tvs with one subscription or is it like sling, hulu, etc. That's an issue in this family. No dvr and no fwd commercials is a big deal for me. I haven't watched a tv show live (other than hbo/showtime) since the advent of the dvr.
post #69 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy Data caps

Been doing lots of Sling TV research and the ONLY thing that concerns me now is the Data Caps. I looked at Cox (Phoenix) and saw that my current package has a 300GB cap. When I did the "Data Usage Estimate" tool, it looks like we would be VERY close to reaching that cap. This is based on watching about 5 hours of tv per day. I work 4 days/week (40 hours) and my wife is a nurse and her job allows her to work 2 days/week but make as much as if she worked 3-5 days/week. She watches Project Runway and all thost Bravo shows. I watch CNN and the ESPN channels. When we are settled in for the night, we now watch about 2 episodes of a given show each night. I'm afraid that this 300GB cap would definately affect us.
I was reading an article and it really seems like the ISPs will have the ability to really screw over the people who choose to cut the cord but enforcing these caps more strictly OR charging more for their services. The whole POINT of cutting the cord is to save money but it appears that we're still going to be at the mercy of the Cable Companies until Google Fiber becomes more widespread.
post #70 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando4534 View Post
Been doing lots of Sling TV research and the ONLY thing that concerns me now is the Data Caps. I looked at Cox (Phoenix) and saw that my current package has a 300GB cap. When I did the "Data Usage Estimate" tool, it looks like we would be VERY close to reaching that cap. This is based on watching about 5 hours of tv per day. I work 4 days/week (40 hours) and my wife is a nurse and her job allows her to work 2 days/week but make as much as if she worked 3-5 days/week. She watches Project Runway and all thost Bravo shows. I watch CNN and the ESPN channels. When we are settled in for the night, we now watch about 2 episodes of a given show each night. I'm afraid that this 300GB cap would definately affect us.
I was reading an article and it really seems like the ISPs will have the ability to really screw over the people who choose to cut the cord but enforcing these caps more strictly OR charging more for their services. The whole POINT of cutting the cord is to save money but it appears that we're still going to be at the mercy of the Cable Companies until Google Fiber becomes more widespread.
This ^^

Until we have choice and competition for ISP service these streaming alternatives just won't make much of a dent. The very same evil companies we "cut the cord" from we still keep on giving $$$ to get those channels via other methods. Unless you truly do not watch anything but OTA "cord cutting" is nothing more that something cool to say.
post #71 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...I'm afraid that this 300GB cap would definately affect us.
Probably. Pretty hard to think the cable companies will just take the loss from cord cutters and not balance that out with higher rates and lower caps for internet service.
post #72 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I know Sling isn't perfect, but my worry is that it will fail because people aren't willing to accept a few limitations, and then the industry won't change.

IMHO, it's very important for Sling to succeed. And, I agree with everything SteelersRule said.
You said it brotha. People need to REALLY think about what they are complaining about. We have ALL been at the mercy of the Cable Providers for years. Now, viable substitutions are becoming available and people start attacking it right away. Its a NEW service so give them some time to work out all of the kinks. If Sling TV (and later on Playstation Vue) end up flopping, we ALL go back to being overcharged by these greedy companies. I was listening to Thom Hartmann today and he said Time Warner had revenues of $5.5 BILLION dollars last year with operating expenses of about $175 million. That breaks down to a 97% PROFIT margin and they spend about $1.43 to provide internet to customers while the average customer's internet bill is $43/month. On top of that, their speeds are a joke compared to other places in the world. . So, for the complainers, keep this in mind next time you want to bash Sling TV for not being PERFECT right out of the gates.
post #73 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably. Pretty hard to think the cable companies will just take the loss from cord cutters and not balance that out with higher rates and lower caps for internet service.
Pretty much ...if you try to do anything beyond "their way" they screw you. I recently found out that if I wanted to add back basic TV to my account with BHN but not use their crappy DVRs, etc because I have Tivo they would not give me bundle price quoted on their web page for ISP + TV which in the end would have more than 2x the price. So more hardware would have cost less....go figure.
post #74 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You said it brotha. People need to REALLY think about what they are complaining about. We have ALL been at the mercy of the Cable Providers for years. Now, viable substitutions are becoming available and people start attacking it right away. Its a NEW service so give them some time to work out all of the kinks. If Sling TV (and later on Playstation Vue) end up flopping, we ALL go back to being overcharged by these greedy companies. I was listening to Thom Hartmann today and he said Time Warner had revenues of $5.5 BILLION dollars last year with operating expenses of about $175 million. That breaks down to a 97% PROFIT margin and they spend about $1.43 to provide internet to customers while the average customer's internet bill is $43/month. On top of that, their speeds are a joke compared to other places in the world. . So, for the complainers, keep this in mind next time you want to bash Sling TV for not being PERFECT right out of the gates.

And you don't think those very same cable companies will adapt to all this by racking people over with caps and internet price increases? Its almost an open invitation to have our internet cost increased.

The more and more things like SLING, etc pop up the more and more we rely on that internet service.

A whole lot more needs to change in the industry as a whole besides choosing to get our content delivered to us via streaming or coax cable.
post #75 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Honestly, I never had a problem with my cable bill. 3 boxes, whole home dvr, HBO, showtime, 75mbps, home phone, for $159/mnth total. I am the first one to call retention every time I see a new ad or promo for new customers. I'm half price for hbo and sho for next 6 months. They'll be other promos afterwards.

The lego block approach on three tvs would cost me more and give me less. 3X Sling ($105), 3X Hulu ($24), 3X HBO (est $45), 3X SHO (est $30). Plus increased isp and home phone charge after it's unbundled. If I was a single guy with one tv it would look much better.

If the streaming companies allow for one subscription with multiple channels on different tv's then we'll be talking.
post #76 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Anyone who thinks that a transition to ala-carte content streaming over the Internet is going to decrease their costs in the long run is naively deluding themselves. Options such as this Sling-TV would not exist unless there was substantial upside potential to extracting more money from the consumer for the same content. The cost efficiencies of large channel bundles from a cable provider should not be underestimated. Look at how much CBS wants to charge ala-carte subscribers to their web service -- do you think cable is paying them anywhere near that much per subscriber?

The issue of multiple TV's in the household being able to use Sling-TV simultaneously will be solved -- as soon as Sling figures out how to price it and police it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #77 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly, I never had a problem with my cable bill. 3 boxes, whole home dvr, HBO, showtime, 75mbps, home phone, for $159/mnth total. I am the first one to call retention every time I see a new ad or promo for new customers. I'm half price for hbo and sho for next 6 months. They'll be other promos afterwards.

The lego block approach on three tvs would cost me more and give me less. 3X Sling ($105), 3X Hulu ($24), 3X HBO (est $45), 3X SHO (est $30). Plus increased isp and home phone charge after it's unbundled. If I was a single guy with one tv it would look much better.

If the streaming companies allow for one subscription with multiple channels on different tv's then we'll be talking.
Yeah. Its been about 2 years since I cut that 1/2 of the cord and truth be told we are thinking about going back. Once I started adding up stuff I have had to get for one reason or another (Netflix, Hulu, and now potentially stuff like Sling) the benefit of canceling cable TV is gone and replaced by more cost and more limitations than I ever had with cable TV.
post #78 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Yeah. Its been about 2 years since I cut that 1/2 of the cord and truth be told we are thinking about going back. Once I started adding up stuff I have had to get for one reason or another (Netflix, Hulu, and now potentially stuff like Sling) the benefit of canceling cable TV is gone and replaced by more cost and more limitations than I ever had with cable TV.
The more mainstream Internet streaming becomes the worse it will evolve. Gone will be the image quality, DVRing, fringe programming (loved by some) and quality content overall. The dollars won't be there to create the mass and quality of today's content. Today they are marketing towards viewers they figure they wouldn't have via any other means. Once it's targeted at mainstream viewers the viewing experience will have to generate much more per viewer (since there will be considerably less of them) and at the same time the investment in programming will decrease in an attempt to offset the lack of revenue.

Bottom line the longer it takes the better. By then Netflix (and the other all you can view vendors) will only have original programming as their mass appeal content will have either dried up or become only available through various subscription services or packages such as today's cable.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #79 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
By then Netflix (and the other all you can view vendors) will only have original programming as their mass appeal content will have either dried up or become only available through various subscription services or packages such as today's cable.
Then I will cancel Netflix. I will have nothing to watch on the service no more if they get cheap at renewing contracts.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Apple TV (2015), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 02-10-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #80 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with some of the channels not having any live content? For example, right now (~8:20pm ET) ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, CNN, CN, ABC Family, and Disney are only showing "Upcoming" episodes. I'm getting this whether going through "On Now" or the individual channels themselves. For example, if I select the ESPN channel, nothing begins.

I called tech support and the woman indicated this was because they were in the process of adding new channels to the subscription. But this is at least the 2nd time something similar has happened in the 4 days I've had Sling.

I'm accessing Sling through a Roku 3.

Definitely willing to be patient with this, but my main reason for signing up is the live sporting events. So if those aren't available, there's not much value in it for me.

Thanks
post #81 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Data caps should be criminal, do you folks not have other options without data caps?

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #82 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Data caps should be criminal, do you folks not have other options without data caps?
It's only criminal if they don't let you buy more once you go over your allotment.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #83 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It's only criminal if they don't let you buy more once you go over your allotment.
That depends on how much they charge for the overage.

post #84 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdan View Post
Was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with some of the channels not having any live content? For example, right now (~8:20pm ET) ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, CNN, CN, ABC Family, and Disney are only showing "Upcoming" episodes. I'm getting this whether going through "On Now" or the individual channels themselves. For example, if I select the ESPN channel, nothing begins.

I called tech support and the woman indicated this was because they were in the process of adding new channels to the subscription. But this is at least the 2nd time something similar has happened in the 4 days I've had Sling.

Definitely willing to be patient with this, but my main reason for signing up is the live sporting events. So if those aren't available, there's not much value in it for me.

Thanks
Never seen that at all. Odd.
post #85 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Not many places that don't have caps of some sort. Thats the exact reason I ponied up an extra $10 a month and got a business HSI line. No caps and better service.
post #86 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I would definitely op for the business class if it removed the cap.

post #87 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdan View Post

Thanks
Definitely weird. I haven't had this happen at all.

Epson 5030ub || Marantz 7009 || Emotiva XPA-5|| Red Dragon Audio M500 SKII monoblocks x 2 || Oppo 103|| SVS Prime Towers || Prime Center || Prime Satellites x 8 || SVS PB-2000 x 2 || VApex 110" standard electric screen || wife|| 2 kids || dog
post #88 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
been using since Feb 2. it's getting worse. at first no problem loading and watching Bloomberg or Cartoon Network. Now too many issues loading - errors. sometimes it works fine and then just freezes or crashes. i'll try until end of month and then cancel unless it improves.
post #89 of 629 Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post
been using since Feb 2. it's getting worse. at first no problem loading and watching Bloomberg or Cartoon Network. Now too many issues loading - errors. sometimes it works fine and then just freezes or crashes. i'll try until end of month and then cancel unless it improves.
I just got it yesterday. I'm noticing the issues happening more in prime time which leads me to believe that congestion is causing the errors and crashes. I am starting to see it reduce resolution to the point of being ridiculous to watch.. and then it crashes. I think they are adding a ton of subs and their servers can't handle the load. But when it works I like the software and picture quality which is fine on a notebook or tablet streaming 1.5 mbps. But it looks to be a bumpy ride. I think this service is going to get allot more unstable before it gets better. For me, the PC software is more unstable then the Android version.

It will improve with time. But not sure they will fix this by months end. I see this getting allot worse with more and more trying out the service. They better upgrade their service.
post #90 of 629 Old 02-11-2015, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a roku xs to access sling and have been experiencing occasional errors and reboots while changing the channel guide to view what is showing on the other channels. I have no problem with other streaming services. Also, Amc does not show up in my list of available channels, I have tried deleting and re-downloading to no avail. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page