DISH Sling TV - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 456 Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DISH Sling TV

http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launch...s-espn-disney/

This will tempt me to dump the DISH 722k receiver and go with Sling TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 456 Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Unless I'm mistaken there is no DVR ability outside of Start Over which may or many not be available for x content or local stations. My guess is ESPN will be the draw here and being live only (if that's mostly the case) won't be a complete killer for most. Basically, it's ESPN and ESPN2 for $20 a month.
StinDaWg and TheKrell like this.

Last edited by Charles R; 01-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.
post #3 of 456 Old 01-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the 250gb data cap Cox has in place.

I've never seen them actually enforce it on me (I go over at least half of the year) but still, it's there. I imagine they would be much less lenient on someone who cancels TV service and my data would go up exponentially streaming TV every day.
post #4 of 456 Old 01-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Add NBC Sports and AMC and I will cut the cord tomorrow.
sheshechic and ViciousLord like this.
post #5 of 456 Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wanted this until I found out that it's one device at a time.
sheshechic likes this.
post #6 of 456 Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Being able to stream ESPN alone makes this worth it to me.
post #7 of 456 Old 01-10-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launch...s-espn-disney/

This will tempt me to dump the DISH 722k receiver and go with Sling TV.
No locals and no DVR make it a no go for me. I'm not able to get OTA where I live. Shame too, I get 60/10 from Comcast Business with no caps.

Looky here!
post #8 of 456 Old 01-11-2015, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the 250gb data cap Cox has in place.

I've never seen them actually enforce it on me (I go over at least half of the year) but still, it's there. I imagine they would be much less lenient on someone who cancels TV service and my data would go up exponentially streaming TV every day.
I think it depends on where you live. I don't have cable and have gone over the 300GB cap on my account a few times. They sometimes send an automated email about it but nothing else. Lately I haven't heard anything.
post #9 of 456 Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy View Post
I wanted this until I found out that it's one device at a time.
Technically, it's one stream at a time, but you can stream that to multiple devices simultaneously (info: http://help.sling.com/FAQs).
Also, the site implies (at least to me) that it's a short-term limitation.

$20 / month for ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family and CNN seems like a reasonable deal to me, even if there is no DVR support. Again, I'm hoping that service will come later.

I for one am looking forward to this service and since there's no contract, I'll try it for a month or two and see how it goes!
post #10 of 456 Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessellated View Post
Being able to stream ESPN alone makes this worth it to me.
One note on this, I read some caveats to this somewhere online (but can't find the info now): you can watch ESPN & ESPN2 & WatchESPN content online but some of their other stuff (maybe ESPN3?) won't be available to Sling users. There's some strange mish-mash of their content that's precluded from Sling, probably due to legal/contractual obligations. Hopefully that'll sort out in the long term.
post #11 of 456 Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone on here in on the Beta yet or gotten a email invite?

Epson 5030ub, Marantz 7009, Emotiva XPA-5, Red Dragon Audio M500 SKII monoblocks x 2, Oppo 103, SVS Prime Towers, Prime Center, Prime Satellites x 8, SVS PB-2000 x 2, VApex 110" standard electric screen, wife, 2 kids, dog
post #12 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

USA Today just ran a story on this today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...view/22330315/

Apparently they're opening it up tonight @ midnight to early invitations, with the full launch a few weeks later. As of yet only tech insiders and journalists have seen the service in action. But by this time tomorrow, any of us who've signed up could be using it!
post #13 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Technically, it's one stream at a time, but you can stream that to multiple devices simultaneously (info: http://help.sling.com/FAQs).
Also, the site implies (at least to me) that it's a short-term limitation.

$20 / month for ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family and CNN seems like a reasonable deal to me, even if there is no DVR support. Again, I'm hoping that service will come later.

I for one am looking forward to this service and since there's no contract, I'll try it for a month or two and see how it goes!

Are these the only channels currently available? It seems like they are gearing this for people who cannot have sat dishes installed due to building/siteline constraints? I'd rather keep my Dish boxes, and pick up another sling adapter for one time fee of $50.
post #14 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

There will be additional add-on packs of channels you will be able to buy for $5 each. I've heard of two so far: One for sports (additional ESPN channels at the least) and one for kids (Disney channels). I assume they'll bring others online over time but that's pure speculation on my part.
post #15 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Make that 3 add-on packages:

The first two (Kids & News) are listed on the FAQ. The 3rd (the sports one) I read in an article somewhere but can't now can't find the link.

FAQ: http://help.sling.com/FAQs

Relevant text:
What Channels are available on Sling TV?

Priced at $20 a month, “The Best of Live TV” core package includes 12 Nielsen-rated sports, lifestyle, family and news networks: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family and CNN.

In addition to the core package, for $5 a month each, you can also subscribe to:

• Kids Extra which includes Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV and Duck TV.
• News & Info Extra which includes HLN, Cooking Channel, DIY and Bloomberg TV.
post #16 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
There will be additional add-on packs of channels you will be able to buy for $5 each. I've heard of two so far: One for sports (additional ESPN channels at the least) and one for kids (Disney channels). I assume they'll bring others online over time but that's pure speculation on my part.
Roger that...didn't think there were any additional to what was listed, but I'm not part of that early account thing they have. I also didn't know if you had to sign up just to see what else was included, like that Tidal streaming radio service is making you do. While "a la carte" is nice, I think I'd be in the same boat as far as monthly bill, because of the the variety of channels I like. Costs would be the same, and I can get the remote acces via the adapters and/or my Vulkano boxes.

I think from a customer perspective, Dish srewed up when they got rid of the Gold, Silver, Platinum packages, and picked up Blockbuster on Demand. Aside from the losing great HD channels from the old packages, I have to pay for (2) add-on packages to get (2) different sports channels (Universal Sports and BEIN), which were originally part of my original Platinum (or Gold).
post #17 of 456 Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
USA Today just ran a story on this today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...view/22330315/

Apparently they're opening it up tonight @ midnight to early invitations, with the full launch a few weeks later. As of yet only tech insiders and journalists have seen the service in action. But by this time tomorrow, any of us who've signed up could be using it!
Sweet, will be watching my Inbox.

Epson 5030ub, Marantz 7009, Emotiva XPA-5, Red Dragon Audio M500 SKII monoblocks x 2, Oppo 103, SVS Prime Towers, Prime Center, Prime Satellites x 8, SVS PB-2000 x 2, VApex 110" standard electric screen, wife, 2 kids, dog
post #18 of 456 Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For $20 a month, I'm biting even if I can't DVR. I use OTA now with MythTV so can get most stuff I'm interested in through recordings, but for those days with nothing good is on OTA, a few extra channels to surf for $20 is worth it.

Now lets just hope it's not a price that continually goes up...basically the Scumcast model!
Flambe likes this.
post #19 of 456 Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Invitations were supposed to come out today - did anyone get one yet? I signed up early this month (1/6) but haven't seen anything yet.
post #20 of 456 Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post
Invitations were supposed to come out today - did anyone get one yet? I signed up early this month (1/6) but haven't seen anything yet.
I was hoping to receive my invitation at midnight last night, but did not get one. I wonder if there's been some confusion about what "midnight on Tuesday" means. I thought it might mean staying up late Monday night until 12:00 am Tuesday...but maybe Sling means midnight tonight? At any rate, I read a news article published early this (Tuesday) morning saying the invitations are coming at 9pm pacific time tonight. We'll see!
post #21 of 456 Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As of today (Wednesday), I still haven't received my invitation. Has anyone else received one?
post #22 of 456 Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
They confirmed they haven't sent any invites yet
post #23 of 456 Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 PM

Hopefully they are working out as many bugs as they can. I'd rather they be ready than release it too early and have it crash or something.

post #24 of 456 Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM

According to their Facebook post, people are receiving emails. I haven't gotten one yet, but look forward to it soon I hope. Lots of comments about users siging up and such, including a youtube post of someone using it on Firetv.

post #25 of 456 Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Would be nice if this app would come to the TIVO Roamio. Not for recording purposes(although, that would be awesome, but HIGHLY DOUBTFUL), but just too have everything on one machine.

I am reffferring to the 4-tuner Roamio, which can be upgraded to 3TB HDD with no problems, plus has a GREAT OTA Tuner built in too boot. So if you got one, paid the LIFETIME fee, you have an awesome recorder/TV Viewer with Great Apps(Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hulu/VUDU/MLB.TV/etc...
post #26 of 456 Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
And the BEST thing about SLING TV, and I "believe", the upcoming Sony VUE TV:

YOU CAN START AND STOP IT, AT WILL. With this type of availability, Sling TV/Sony VUE may not become the "household" standard for most people, but if you have vacation homes/condos/etc... You can start and stop TV at your whim.

NICE!!! Not as good as the old DISH NOW PREPAID setup once was(you could order Dish levels 100/200/250 BY THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!), but close.

I will use myself as an example. Say I cut the cord. haven't yet, but the day SEEMS to be drawing closer. Especially if HBO/SHOWTIME/Etc... all begin to offer streaming versions of their own that are worth it, and also allow START/STOP at your leisure service.

Anyway, after this Sunday's Super Bowl, i go into a sports FOG. I "like" hockey, but really don't care until playoffs. NBA is a joke. But alas after first couple rounds of playoffs, I will pay attention. NCAA Tournament is almost 2 months away, and I can catch most of that on OTA(on TBS and TNT as well). And I have my MLB fix covered by MLB.TV

So I could/should technically shut down all Cable type service for like 2-3 months. Save some pesos, and come back when I am ready for it. Especially the Sports stuff. For me, the best time of year for sports is Aug-Dec. Great football, and great MLB action(till Nov).

And since I can start and stop, I could save about $60-$120/yr, just cutting off sports alone. And if I want to watch the likes of shows like Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/Ray Donavan/etc... Well hell, now I can either pay for SONY VUE plus HBO/Showtime/etc..., or just order the episodes at $2.00/each(too pricey. $1/each would be fair IMHO)

Man, I am really looking forward to this, and all the possibilities.

And with the announcement today by the FCC that BROADBAND ISP now means 25Mbps DOWNLOAD/1 Mbps Upload MINIMUM, which would give Comcast a CLEAR MONOPOLY on that service, could cause that deal to sink.

Man, I hope so. But money talks, and BS walks.
post #27 of 456 Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Woot woot, got my invite email this morning finally. Only thing I didn't really like was having to call the 800 number to actually go through the signup process, I would have much preferred an online signup-maybe this is something they are still working on. Picture looks great, having fun surfing around the channels with my daughter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	522593  

post #28 of 456 Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
Woot woot, got my invite email this morning finally. Only thing I didn't really like was having to call the 800 number to actually go through the signup process, I would have much preferred an online signup-maybe this is something they are still working on. Picture looks great, having fun surfing around the channels with my daughter!
But it looks like the picture is sideways .
TheKrell and groundtrac like this.
post #29 of 456 Old 02-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
Will you be using Sling in lieu of a cable service? Or in addition to?
post #30 of 456 Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM

I canceled Dish 7 years ago. I have had OTA since then with the broadcast networks. I plan to use SlingTV in connection with OTA tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming