AVS Forum banner

Best media player for Blu-Ray ISOs

719 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NOTashwin 
#1 ·
What is the best media player for playing back Blu-Ray ISOs from my NAS? It needs to support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio bitstreaming, and have a pretty gui similar to Kaleidescape. Menu navigation would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker.

The front runners seem to be Popcorn Hour and Dune HD. Which one is better and which model should I choose? Other suggestions I've gotten are WDTV and the Nexus Player (or another Android device) running Kodi/XBMC.

I know this question has been asked before, but mosts of the posts are years old.

#2 ·
Do you want / need 3D Support and do you want / Menu Support? These are very important as there are plenty of players out there that will handle ISO Images but not many that have Menu Support especially when it comes to 3D.

That said this is all personal preference, I personally like the Mede8er Line which sounds like it will do everything you are looking for, it has various Methods to display your media (like thumbnails, lists or a combo) it also has a nice "Scrapper" that will automatically download all of the information for you movies for you, all you have to do it make sure you follow the naming conventions and you will be all set.

#3 ·
Are there any trade-offs for having 3D and menu support? I would like to have something with a smooth & modern interface that wows people — the same way Kaleidescape does. Some of these players have interfaces that remind me of the early 00s. If I can have 3D and menu support without giving up anything else, then of course I would like to have it. All of my TVs are 3D capable.

Which Mede8er product do you recommend? I don't need wifi or internal storage. The MED800X3D seems to be technically sufficient, but the interface looks dated.

#4 ·
Not many decent, reliable choices for 3D. Try Mede8er 600X3D (no internal storage). Still the 3D streamer to beat. UI, although not the best, can be customized via various skins available in their forums. VidOn Box is another option, with some caveats though (see my thread here). None offer BD menus (VidOn has promised, but doesn't work yet).

#5 · (Edited)
I've been very pleasantly surprised by the recent progress made by the VidOn folks with their Android streamer. Definitely worth a look. BD 2D isos work well.

The PopCorn Hour A410 also plays 2D BD well and does auto framerate I use it primarily for music, as I like the VidOn XMBC interface and scrapers better. The PCH is also much more expensive.

#6 ·
My Dune Base 3 has been rock solid for years playing BR ISO's. No 3D though. But I am not a 3D fanatic, so it has been absolutely perfect for me.

#7 ·
Chromebox running XBMC has a smooth interface and can wow people and play BD ISO. If one skin doesn't wow just change to another that does.

Smooth interface need to come before wow factor. If interface is not smooth, it doesn't matter how it looks.

#8 ·
Smooth interface need to come before wow factor. If interface is not smooth, it doesn't matter how it looks.
Smooth interfaces wow me! Kaleidescape is mostly just movie posters on top of a black background, but it's buttery smooth and fast—that's what's great about it.

What's the best XBMC skin? I haven't found one that looks as good as Kaleidescape. Plex made a really nice skin for their XBMC fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.