Apple TV Wont Connect Via Ethernet, But Will With WiFi! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apple TV Wont Connect Via Ethernet, But Will With WiFi!

I recently networked my house. Since i ran a Ethernet connection in our bed room i decided to hook the Apple TV to it instead of using WiFi. It will not work while hooked up to Ethernet. The second i unplug it, it connects to WiFi and works just fine. I thought maybe it was a bad cord. Tried 3 BRAND NEW cables and it still didnt work. I tried other outlets & connecting it directly to my modem bypassing my Ethernet switch with no luck.

A friend of mine always had his hooked up via WiFi, after talking to him about my direct connection issues he tried his, and it is also not working with Ethernet but works just find with WiFi.

While Googling, i found that some had to change some settings on there modem but isnt really clear if this infact does fix the issue or what actually needs to be changed. Any chance someone here has had this issue and come up with a fix?

I am running a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 and Monoprice 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, with all brand new Monoprice Cat5e cables if that matters.

Thanks Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-14-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
I recently networked my house. Since i ran a Ethernet connection in our bed room i decided to hook the Apple TV to it instead of using WiFi. It will not work while hooked up to Ethernet. The second i unplug it, it connects to WiFi and works just fine. I thought maybe it was a bad cord. Tried 3 BRAND NEW cables and it still didnt work. I tried other outlets & connecting it directly to my modem bypassing my Ethernet switch with no luck.

A friend of mine always had his hooked up via WiFi, after talking to him about my direct connection issues he tried his, and it is also not working with Ethernet but works just find with WiFi.

While Googling, i found that some had to change some settings on there modem but isnt really clear if this infact does fix the issue or what actually needs to be changed. Any chance someone here has had this issue and come up with a fix?

I am running a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 and Monoprice 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, with all brand new Monoprice Cat5e cables if that matters.

Thanks Wayne
Try a reset of the Apple TV (3)?

Restoring your Apple TV to factory settings:

On Apple TV, choose Settings > General > Reset, and then click Restore.

Your Apple TV will restore to factory settings and will download and install the latest Apple TV software. This process may take some time. Do not disconnect your Apple TV's power cable during the restore process.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well it turns out it must not be the Apple TV. Just had my Samsung UN50H6350 delivered and that to only connects via WiFi but will not connect via Cat5e!

A friend of mine is a network designer/tech for the cable provider I have. He is coming over once he gets off to look at it. It has got to be a modem setting.

Wayne
post #4 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so heres the deal. I bought a Apple TV about 2 years ago and the few times we used it it worked great. No problems with my WiFi streaming it.

Recently i decided to run Ethernet cables to every room in my house. Hook the Apple TV up and it dont connect to Ethernet but connects to WiFi no problem. Ok no biggie ill figure it out one day.

Last week i decided to purchase a new TV, new receiver, blu-ray player, and a Apple Airport Express.

Today the TV come in and i try to connect to internet via Ethernet and it wont. Connects to WiFi just fine. I also tried to connect the BRAND NEW Apple Express to Ethernet and that doesnt work, tried the connecting to a Gen3 Latest Updated Apple TV and that doesnt work with Ethernet but will to WiFi, it also doesnt connect to the BRAND NEW Samsung Smart blu-ray.

THEY ALL show the IP addresses to my network, the TV even shows that its connected to the network. But it says its not connected to the internet.

Heres the kicker, My network connects via ETHERNET to my computer with no problems, it also connects to a very old ass lap top we have, and it also connects to a Seagate wireless harddrive thats wired to the modem with no problems!

What could be wrong? Im friends with the internet engineer that works for the cable provider i have and he came back today. We tried different ports, different settings on the modem(Auto IP or direct IP), different routers, different cables, different everything and the outcome was the same.

Apple TV
Samsung TV
Samsung Blu-Ray
Apple Express
HK AVR

None of them will connect to ETHERNET but they all, if WiFi ready will connect to WiFi.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-22-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 87
So, from each room's ethernet socket, where do they all go to? Is there an ethernet switch or hub in the central location, i.e., wiring closet?

On my setup it is wired like this:

---- cable ---> cable modem --- ethernet cable ---> Apple Airport --- ethernet cable ----> ethernet switch ----> many cables to each room.

nuke
post #6 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 290
When we remodeled our family room I ran a solid core CAT-6 cable, installed in conduit, from the AEBS router in the "computer room" to the family room for the AppleTV2. I used punch down Keystone jacks to terminate the CAT-6 and then used CAT-6 ethernet cables to connect the cable to the router in the computer room. In the family room the CAT-6 is connected to a gigabit switch and then ethernet to my devices (AppleTV2, blu-ray player, etc). On the AppleTV2 I just went into Settings and changed the connection from WiFi to ethernet. Rock solid.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 48
How do you have your switch connected to your surfboard?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have a modem/router combo. SURFBoard SBG6580

The modem has 4 outputs. Port 1 to port 1 on switch, port 2 goes to a Harddrive, port 3 & 4 go to the living room.

The switch(Monoprice 8 Port Gigabit) port 1 is from modem, port 2 to my laptop, port 3 to master, port 4 to sons room.

The TV in living room WILL connect to network, but will NOT connect to Internet via Ethernet. Doesn't matter if I use the two Cat5 plugs in the living room or connect directly to the modem. Same thing goes for the Apple TV, Blu-Ray, & Apple Express. But the devices that have WiFi will connect to WiFi.

My two laptops and Harddrive will connect via Cat5 to the Internet on every Cat5 plug in the house. So that tells me it's not a hardware issue. My guess is a setting but I nor my friend that is a Network Engineer for the Cable/Phone/Internet provider I have cant figure it out. He is going to bring by a new Modem/Router today to try. I can't see that being the issue cause mine is only a few months old and had been flawless!

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-15-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Update! Fixed!

So i called Samsung yesterday thinking it was a Samsung issue or to see if they knew of a setting on the modem. They didn't help much but said they would look further into it and call back.

Today I called Arris to see about trouble shooting it. The lady was very nice, had me change some things, no luck. She said it's still under warranty so we will just send you a replacement and you send yours back. While I was on the phone with her my buddy that works for the Cable/Internet/Phone texted me to say he was on the way with a known good modem. So I told Arris to give me a claim number that after confirming it is infact the modem with my friends I would call back. He came we swapped modems and BAM everything worked!

So it was the modem! How did some items work and others didn't I don't have a clue. My buddy's letting me barrow his until I get my new one.

So glad to finally get everything working. Just waiting on my new TV cabinet to come in so I can finally set up all my new setup in the living room!

Thanks!

Wayne
post #10 of 17 Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Another update!

I received the new modem from Arris today to replace the faulty one i had. And that modem is doing the same exact thing.

Wayne
post #11 of 17 Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
Another update!

I received the new modem from Arris today to replace the faulty one i had. And that modem is doing the same exact thing.

Wayne
I would have your friend go through, screen by screen, on his modem and compare the settings to yours. Just to confirm:

1) When connected via Ethernet, do your clients (the ATV, the Samsung) get an actual valid IP address i.e. 192.168.x.x or something like 169.x.x.x? In the "Advanced" screen of the web management console for the modem, there should be a DHCP section that displays any clients with valid IP addresses.
2) Is the Multicast Enable checkbox checked in Advanced Options?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 View Post
I would have your friend go through, screen by screen, on his modem and compare the settings to yours. Just to confirm:

1) When connected via Ethernet, do your clients (the ATV, the Samsung) get an actual valid IP address i.e. 192.168.x.x or something like 169.x.x.x? In the "Advanced" screen of the web management console for the modem, there should be a DHCP section that displays any clients with valid IP addresses.
2) Is the Multicast Enable checkbox checked in Advanced Options?
I will do this tomorrow. I did call him once I hooked the new modem up. He was at work and logged into my modem and checked everything as far as settings go. He said and I quote "everything looks good on the modems end".

The TV is seeing a MAC Address, IP Address(192.168.0.3), Subnet Mask, Gateway, & DNS Server. The TV says "Connected To Local Network, But Not Connected To The Internet"

Arris will be calling me back, hope they can figure this out, im tired of having my office torn apart due to having to keep replacing these modems.

As for the second question I will look tomorrow when I get off of the graveyard shift!

Wayne
post #13 of 17 Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
One last stab in the dark...don't own this modem so harder to troubleshoot.

Because your devices are properly getting IP addresses from the DHCP server, I'm thinking the problem could be with the NAT settings or configuration on the modem, if there is some setting that might affect the Ethernet ports versus the WiFi network?

On the "Basic" setup page according to the manual, there is a "Gateway Mode" and "Primary Network Only Mode" dropdown- what is chosen for each of those? Options might include "Routed", "Bridged", and "NAPT"

Edit to add: You mention getting an AirPort Express. Have you connected that/how have you configured it? If your AirPort Express is running a DHCP server function that overlaps with the SBG6580 that could be causing another set of problems entirely.

Last edited by thrand1; 01-22-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Add question
post #14 of 17 Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 View Post
One last stab in the dark...don't own this modem so harder to troubleshoot.

Because your devices are properly getting IP addresses from the DHCP server, I'm thinking the problem could be with the NAT settings or configuration on the modem, if there is some setting that might affect the Ethernet ports versus the WiFi network?

On the "Basic" setup page according to the manual, there is a "Gateway Mode" and "Primary Network Only Mode" dropdown- what is chosen for each of those? Options might include "Routed", "Bridged", and "NAPT"

Edit to add: You mention getting an AirPort Express. Have you connected that/how have you configured it? If your AirPort Express is running a DHCP server function that overlaps with the SBG6580 that could be causing another set of problems entirely.
Thanks you for taking time to try to help me figure this out. I must say that i may have left some info out not even thinking it was a important but at this point it very well may be important. The modem/router i own is the Arris Surfboard SBG6580, the one that im barrowing from my friend is NOT the same modem, its a Arris TG862.

I will say that im not IT guy, VERY far from it. But i do know how to log in a secure WiFi and check a few other things out. Not even a clue as to what NAT means thou. Anyhow i logged in to my modem today and cant find anything that deals with Ethernet settings or anything like that. The Ethernet works on my laptops and Seagate Harddrive but not on the other items i have listed above.

I logged in to his modem today and checked the settings, when i go look at NAT Settings it has the option of Bridged, RoutedWithNAT, & Routed WithOUTNAT. RoutedWithNAT is selected!

For the life of me i cant find a single thing about LAN or NAT setting on the SBG6580. When i go to basic its there is a area that is labeled Primary Mode. In this area is says NAPT Mode and i can select Enable or Disable. It is set to ENABLE. Under that it has Network Config and the only thing i could change on the is the LAN IP and i havent changed that.

As for the Airport Express it was bought as a WiFi extender. Currently the WiFi on the TG862 is internally turned off and im using the Express as a route for WiFi only. This issue was noticed well before i even unboxed the Express so its impossible that could be the issue. There is only two things listed under the DHCP Clients and none of them are the Express.

I hope i have provided you with some info that could help you help me. I will be heading to work in about an hour so unles you can reply before then i wont be able to get back with you until the morning.

If i dont here back from Arris tomorrow i will grab the old laptop i have and SBG6580 and connect it to a different cable line. This way i can go through each screen side by side on both modems at the same time. Today i had to keep flip flopping back and forth. I be sure to post what i find.

Thanks Again Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-22-2015 at 12:48 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

This morning i set up both lap tops and connected a modem to each. I went through every single setting on both and the only differences i could find was this.

This picture is from the modem that everything works with. My modem had everyone of them checked. So i copied it to mine and tried the TV hooked up to it after the changes and still no worky. Hope Arris calls me back today, if not there going to be getting a call from me.

Any other ideas?

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-23-2015 at 05:35 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-23-2015, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas guys? Havnt heard back from Arris yet and my TV Cabinet just came in so i would like to get it all working so i can do the final install of everything tonight.

Wayne

Samsung Smart 50" UN50H6350
Samsung BD-H5100 Smart Blu-Ray Player
Harman Kardon AVR-1510 5.1 Networked Receiver
Dayton Audio BS36 LCR 3 Channel Sound Bar
Monoprice 6.5" 2-Way Ceiling Mounted Rear Surrounds
Harmony Smart Control
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

So the Arris tech called and couldn't figure it out. Now I'm waiting for a Arris engineer to call me back. Bout to screw it and go buy a different modem.

Is there a modem/router combo that yall could recommend?

Wayne

Samsung Smart 50" UN50H6350
Samsung BD-H5100 Smart Blu-Ray Player
Harman Kardon AVR-1510 5.1 Networked Receiver
Dayton Audio BS36 LCR 3 Channel Sound Bar
Monoprice 6.5" 2-Way Ceiling Mounted Rear Surrounds
Harmony Smart Control
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread - UN50H6350 by PriceGrabber.com