1Likes
  • 1 Post By ash_man

post #1 of 9 Old 01-17-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
My Boxee is dying.....

So I have a Boxee in my bedroom that I usually queue up some random tv show from my NAS while I'm in bed. BUT, the remote is acting up, like so many other people have reported on the net. I want to buy another small streaming device to replace it, I dont really care about Netflix, or streaming services, I mainly stream stuff from my NAS. I thought about a WD Live, but thats no more? now they have a new model apparently.
Do I get an Android based unit? ANYTHING Apple is out of the question. Slingbox is a joke with RGB connections for 179 bucks LOL, hello, HDMi. I have a Chromecast that ive used literally 5 times and have no idea why I even bought it. Whats a good streaming device, mainly for your own catalog of files. Im not sure what to buy, I thought of a Roku3 but reviews say it isnt very good for your own files, mainly for streaming services.
Anybody have any idea they can share?

Thanks!

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-17-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Chromebox for the Win.

Huge thread full of info here...
Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post
So I have a Boxee in my bedroom that I usually queue up some random tv show from my NAS while I'm in bed. BUT, the remote is acting up, like so many other people have reported on the net. I want to buy another small streaming device to replace it, I dont really care about Netflix, or streaming services, I mainly stream stuff from my NAS. I thought about a WD Live, but thats no more? now they have a new model apparently.
Do I get an Android based unit? ANYTHING Apple is out of the question. Slingbox is a joke with RGB connections for 179 bucks LOL, hello, HDMi. I have a Chromecast that ive used literally 5 times and have no idea why I even bought it. Whats a good streaming device, mainly for your own catalog of files. Im not sure what to buy, I thought of a Roku3 but reviews say it isnt very good for your own files, mainly for streaming services.
Anybody have any idea they can share?

Thanks!
Nothing wrong with the newer WDTV Live, as long it's not the "Play" version. Tough to beat for off the shelf playback of local content and support for different file types.

If you don't mind spending a couple of hours setting up and tweaking, the investment in a Chromebox or NUC running Kodi is pretty much the top of the food chain for SFF playback, especially if you are migrating from Boxee.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had Boxee's since they came out, kept buying used ones off Craigslist and using them until they died, I've been through probably 10 of them. I recently got a Chromebox and can say its the way to go, Kodi (formerly XMBC) has fully matured now and is a pleasure to use. The thing about the Boxee and the WDTV is their interfaces slow down and become laggy over time; with the Boxee you get the circle of death which is frustrating. Grab a Chromebox, its very simple to hack and works very well, if you can pick up a PS3 remote for cheap somewhere, it works very well too.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 101
By the way.... I had a WDLive before my Chromebox.... wish I had skipped that step.

They do an amazing thing... but didn't take long to know why the Chromebox was better (for me.)

2 things that really foced my move from WDLive to Chromebox

1) Gapless audio playback. This was critical to me. You can rip full albums as one long song to evade this on the WdLIVE ... But I prefer being able to keep the songs as songs and the album to playback correctly.

2) Forced Sub Titles. - Again there is a work around for forced subs for WDLive. and in fact, dealing with forced subs on Chromebox is also work ... but on the Chromebox i run XBMC (via OpenElec) and they automatically display forced sub titles. *

* You have to edit the headers of your MKV files to set the forced sub title flag but that's a best plan anyway.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post
I've had Boxee's since they came out, kept buying used ones off Craigslist and using them until they died, I've been through probably 10 of them. I recently got a Chromebox and can say its the way to go, Kodi (formerly XMBC) has fully matured now and is a pleasure to use. The thing about the Boxee and the WDTV is their interfaces slow down and become laggy over time; with the Boxee you get the circle of death which is frustrating. Grab a Chromebox, its very simple to hack and works very well, if you can pick up a PS3 remote for cheap somewhere, it works very well too.
I have an old PS3 remote and thats all I need to navigate on the chromebox? I dont particularly want a mouse and kb in bed lol. I have an old laptop I should hook it to a spare tv and try KODI out, ive never used that either.
I agree about the circle of death on the boxee, sits there forever spinning sometimes trying to go back to the menu when a show is over.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yep the PS3 remote works just fine, you'll need a keyboard plugged into it initially to get to the OpenElec settings to pair the remote but once you do, it works great. It kind of eats batteries though, so I use rechargeable AA's. What I have done is paired a spare Apple Bluetooth keyboard with the Chromebox, it nice to be able to bring up the context menu on the Chromebox to do various things, but its not necessary IMO, just a nice to have. If there is a way to bring it up on the PS3 remote, other users, please share!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post
How about a FireTV running Kodi or SPMC? Add IR remote capability with a Flirc for ~$20. I've been using this for about 2 months (since WDTV's media library stopped working) and it's been great.

Last edited by fulano; Yesterday at 10:11 AM. Reason: Corrected typo of RF to IR, thanks smitbret!
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
How about a FireTV running Kodi or SPMC? Add RF remote capability with a Flirc for ~$20. I've been using this for about 2 months (since WDTV's media library stopped working) and it's been great.
FLIRC isn't RF, it's LOS IR.

However, I have mine plugged into the the rear USB port of my Chromebox inside a cabinet (with open sides) and it works very, very well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page