The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 138Likes

post #31 of 1113 Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 747
They're FINALLY here, plus a $10 discount!

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

PlayStation Vue gets price cut plus ABC, ESPN

http://usat.ly/1oYUSgM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1113 Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 125
That's good news! And it would take A LOT to get me to go back to giving AT&T any money.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #33 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Well, it's official and now nationwide with new skinny bundles!:

Quote:

Sony finally expands Vue service nationwide, offers 'Slim' versions starting at $30 a month

Monday, March 14, 2016 | By Daniel Frankel

Sony has finally deployed its year-old PlayStation Vue pay-TV service nationwide, offering a revised set of programming tiers that starts at $30 a month.

A virtual pay-TV service that offers the immediate sign-up and no-CPE benefits of SVOD products like Netflix, Vue had previously been confined to major metropolitan areas like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Starting today, consumers in 203 TV markets across the nation have access to the service. After slashing the three existing Vue programming tiers by $10 a month two weeks ago, Sony is now debuting a reconfigured set of tiers, under the PlayStation Vue Slim banner, to the newly added regions.

The Slim tiers won't have live access to local broadcast affiliates, but users still have next-day, on-demand access to the major broadcast networks, however.

"We were intent on bringing this valuable service to broader reach as quickly as possible," said Dwayne Benefield, VP and head of PlayStation Vue for Sony Network Entertainment International, told Variety. "With the assortment of channels we have now, we feel we are strong alternative to current pay-TV providers and new entrants."

The base-level "Access Slim" will run $30 a month and feature about 55 channels, while the Core Slim package will add regional sports networks and feature 70 total channels. The "Elite Slim" will run $45 a month and feature not only RSNs, but premium movie channels.

Sony announced price cuts to its three existing tiers two weeks ago, reducing the monthly nut for its base-level package to $40 a month.

Earlier, Sony announced a deal with Disney that brought access to ESPN networks. These moves addressed to key criticisms of the platform early on, as it sought to become an alternative to traditional pay-TV services.

"For us, it's about having the right content for what we feel is our target demographic," Benefield added. "We felt when we launched, the live local broadcasts were paramount, but our customers have been clamoring for these packages – most of the customer service calls that were coming in were, 'Hey, when is it coming to my city?'"

For more:
- read this Sony press release
- read this Associated Press story
- read this Variety story

post #34 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How many simultaneous streams in the same household are you allowed?

Samsung UN55H6350 LED TV/ Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Bookshelfs/ SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer/ Roku 4/ Sonos Connect / iFi SPDIF iPurifier
post #35 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
How many simultaneous streams in the same household are you allowed?
Five (5), but only 1 PS3 and 1 PS4 at the same time. The others can be a mix of FireTV, Chromecast, iOS, etc.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-14-2016 at 07:33 PM.
post #36 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Five (5)

Seriously?

Samsung UN55H6350 LED TV/ Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Bookshelfs/ SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer/ Roku 4/ Sonos Connect / iFi SPDIF iPurifier
post #37 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Seriously?
Yes
post #38 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yes

This will make my girlfriend very happy. Is the DVR function easy to use? Skipping commercials is a must. Hows the audio/video quality on a Fire TV?

post #39 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
This will make my girlfriend very happy. Is the DVR function easy to use? Skipping commercials is a must. Hows the audio/video quality on a Fire TV?
I've been using it on the PS4 & Chromecast today, it works really well and you're allowed to DVR any show. It will stay in the cloud for 28 days before it's auto-deleted it. PQ is slightly below cable but it still looks very good and I'm very happy with the 55 networks included in the $30 package. Better value than Sling TV for $10 more.
post #40 of 1113 Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I think it's easy, but it's certainly not what you've come to be accustomed to from your home DVR that records locally. There is some lag but it is MUCH better than it used to be. I find the FireTV to be the best at this. I use the circle ring on the remote and the best thing to do is hit it on the right side of the ring multiple times as each press jumps ahead 10 seconds (or conversely hitting left side reverses 10 secs each press). I've gotten so good at it that I can jump commercials and it's just about as fast as my TiVo in the FF scan mode. Doing this works better for me than using the FF or RW buttons, where each press moves it faster, i.e. 2X, 4X, 8X, 16X, 32X. It does flash frames to show you where you are, but it's not nearly as accurate as the TiVo when you come out of it when you hit play, as would be expected since you're playing off a local hard drive on a TiVo or MSO DVR and not out through the cloud with Vue, being subject to network conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadylpete View Post
I've been using it on the PS4 & Chromecast today, it works really well and you're allowed to DVR any show. It will stay in the cloud for 28 days before it's auto-deleted it. PQ is slightly below cable but it still looks very good and I'm very happy with the 55 networks included in the $30 package. Better value than Sling TV for $10 more.
Agree 1,000%!!! SlingTV is horrible if you ask me, especially compared to Vue and especially now that they also offer skinny bundles nationwide!

Here is a good place to answer a lot of your basic questions: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-14-2016 at 07:49 PM.
post #41 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Did I understand their announcement of the new "slim' packages correctly...that they are only available in the new, nationwide markets? When I look at what packages are available to me based on my location (DFW), I don't get any slim options? So I'm stuck paying $10 more each month even though I get local networks ota? That just seems a bit odd to me.

bg
post #42 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 456
How is the audio quality with Vue on a PS4? I know it is 2.0 only, which sucks, and that it sends it out as 5.1 so you can't even use ProLogic processing but, how does it sound to those who have used the services. This is the biggest drawback to the service IMO, I don't understand why Sony launch without 5.1 and they should know HT stuff. CBS All Access did the same thing, launched with only 2.0 but, it is crappy tin can sounding 2.0 and their VQ sucks when compared to Netflix (I compared some Trek episodes). Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, iTunes, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, even Sling TV all do 5.1 (and many others), why would you launch with only 2.0 these days.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions on the AQ. I'm planning on do my free trial next week during spring break so I'll have plenty of time to mess with it but, 2.0 audio could be the reason I don't subscribe.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #43 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
Did I understand their announcement of the new "slim' packages correctly...that they are only available in the new, nationwide markets? When I look at what packages are available to me based on my location (DFW), I don't get any slim options? So I'm stuck paying $10 more each month even though I get local networks ota? That just seems a bit odd to me.
I'm thinking it has to do with rights and contracts for those areas that Sony made with the powers that be. I'm sure when they signed the contracts in the original areas that they're obliged to include the local networks for subscribers in those areas. Maybe just look it at it like you're paying for the convenience of having all your TV watching in one place, as well as DVR service which you wouldn't get with OTA unless you happened to also have your own DVR like a TiVo or Channel Master.
post #44 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The PlayStation Vue Thread

I just found out about this from the CNET article, so I am looking for a player. We have one Chromecast now, but I might also get an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. I might ultimately want to connect it to a Slingbox 500. Of the devices that work with PlayStation Vue currently, do any certain devices work better than others with the Slingbox 500? For example, would all of them allow use of the remote control function through the Slingbox 500?

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-plays...-30-per-month/
post #45 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I just found out about this from the CNET article, so I am looking for a player. We have one Chromecast now, but I might also get an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. I might ultimately want to connect it to a Slingbox 500. Of the devices that work with PlayStation Vue currently, do any certain devices work better than others with the Slingbox 500? For example, would all of them allow use of the remote control function through the Slingbox 500?

Definitely the FireTV Box, if the remote function works. I'm not sure since it's bluetooth though. FTV Box has worked so much better for me than the FTV Stick since it has wired ethernet, so stays a lot more stable for the stream and allows better, more responsive trick play controls. To be clear though, this was the original FTV Stick, not the newer one, but I still prefer wired over wireless any day of the week, especially for something like your streaming TV watching experience.

One thing to consider is whether HDCP would be an issue with the HDMI output. You can always use one of those HDMI splitters that strips HDCP though.

Another device would be a PS4, but that seems too clunky to me, but may be your only option for controlling the remote I think. PS3 is a less than optimal Vue experience for me and others from what I've read.
post #46 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Five (5), but only 1 PS3 and 1 PS4 at the same time. The others can be a mix of FireTV, Chromecast, iOS, etc.

So your saying 5 people in your household can watch 5 different channels on 5 different devices?

post #47 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
So your saying 5 people in your household can watch 5 different channels on 5 different devices?
Yes, it would have to be either only 1 PS3, 1 PS4 and 3 (or all 5) of devices like a FireTV Box/stick, Chromecast, iOS, etc.
post #48 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, it would have to be either only 1 PS3, 1 PS4 and 3 (or all 5) of devices like a FireTV Box/stick, Chromecast, iOS, etc.

Thanks.
Dave Harper likes this.

post #49 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks.
I dropped Sling today and got vue. My wife loves it. She hated Sling because of the drop outs. Have two Fire tvs and they work great on a 42 and a 65 inch tv and this is on wireless with only 25 down. The PQ is not bad, better than sling and for $30 you cant beat it.

Bobby Ray
post #50 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 201
so i keep seeing these commercials and now i am very interested in it.

Right now, I pay about $250/month for tv/internet/phone **although i do pay for premium services
Anyway- im thinking, would it be cheaper for me to just pay for my internet on its own, ditch the phone (somehow), and use my ps4 and a fireTV for the $55 a month.

My biggest concern however, is that the audio is only 2.0? Thats a major bummer...
post #51 of 1113 Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Has anyone had IP issues while using the service. When I go to sign up it says I'm in Birmingham but, I live in Montgomery (90 miles away). It gives you the option of changing the detected zip but warns that it must match my IP zip and cc billing zip. Says discrepancies could result in Vue being blocked on my account. If my IP is always detected as Birmingham then it will never match my cc billing but, if I change my zip then it will not match my IP zip. I just don't see how this will work plus, what happens when Charter changes my IP?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #52 of 1113 Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 844
So for the simultaneous streams, could you have a stream going in your house and say your parents at their house? I know those FAQ has "in the same house" or are they IP locking the streams?
post #53 of 1113 Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would like to try Vue but want to wait & see if it becomes available on Roku. I don't want all these different STB's for streaming (just got a Roku 4 & don't like our Chromecast ).Hope Vue down the road doesn't move channels from one plan to the next higher plan like Cable does just to make the customers have to pay more.
post #54 of 1113 Old 03-16-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
So for the simultaneous streams, could you have a stream going in your house and say your parents at their house? I know those FAQ has "in the same house" or are they IP locking the streams?

You might get locked out of your account. Remember you ARE dealing with Sony.

post #55 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I was excited about cutting my highly priced cable bill in half with the nationwide release of PS Vue. That is until I saw the PQ and heard the AQ with my free trial last night. I am in shock that the industry standard is not 1080p and 5.1 I came here to find answers and it seems Sling TV quality is below Vue. Why have a nice television set up when you can't even use its full potential. Man I am bummed.

I don't watch a lot of primetime channels. I like my AMC, Food Network, DIY type stuff. Kids like the DISNEY, DISNEY XD, and Nick. Oh well I'll continue waiting I guess.
post #56 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone know if this service is available using a browser? It appears it is only available thru non-browser streaming devices.

Edit: Never mind I am now seeing several comments around the net about "no browser support." Bummer!

DRCars

Last edited by dmatch; 03-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.
post #57 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 01:15 PM
FX4

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

Get the regular FireTV, the stick lags badly. I bought both to test. The stick will go to an infrequently used television.

Last edited by FX4; 03-17-2016 at 01:19 PM.
post #58 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 01:16 PM
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
Anyone know if this service is available using a browser? It appears it is only available thru non-browser streaming devices.

Edit: Never mind I am now seeing several comments around the net about "no browser support." Bummer!

DRCars
No it is not.
post #59 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM
FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin110 View Post
Well I was excited about cutting my highly priced cable bill in half with the nationwide release of PS Vue. That is until I saw the PQ and heard the AQ with my free trial last night. I am in shock that the industry standard is not 1080p and 5.1 I came here to find answers and it seems Sling TV quality is below Vue. Why have a nice television set up when you can't even use its full potential. Man I am bummed.

I don't watch a lot of primetime channels. I like my AMC, Food Network, DIY type stuff. Kids like the DISNEY, DISNEY XD, and Nick. Oh well I'll continue waiting I guess.
I have great picture quality. 1080P is not a broadcast standard anywhere. It's 720P or 1080i. Maybe you have some other problem in your infrastructure.
post #60 of 1113 Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
I have great picture quality. 1080P is not a broadcast standard anywhere. It's 720P or 1080i. Maybe you have some other problem in your infrastructure.
Thank you for the correction. I was using the 1080P as a broad generic term. Should have known better on a highly technical/numbers forum. What I meant to say was that Vue is nowhere near the quality of my cable company, with HD DVR boxes etc. It should be but it isn't. I can watch Amazon Prime with great quality and sound.

During my Vue testing last night my PS3 was 34 Mbps download, and 10 Mbps.

I'm just asking for better quality. Off my soapbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page