The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1024 Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Do you guys stream any 4K, like from Amazon or Netflix?

Those may use H.265 but still, approaching 1 TB because of streaming is going to put a limit on these streaming services.
wco81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1024 Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Do you guys stream any 4K, like from Amazon or Netflix? Those may use H.265 but still, approaching 1 TB because of streaming is going to put a limit on these streaming services.
I had totally forgotten about 4K. You're right, that might more than offset the advantage gained, in data usage, from switching to h.265. Not to mention many streaming service providers may also switch their audio from stereo to 5.1, though audio streaming will probably have a far more minimal effect.

There's a blog maintained by an Alex Zambelli which devoted a whole blog entry to this subject back in 2013 at http://alexzambelli.com/blog/2013/01...deo-streaming/ . The information is rather dismal. He uses the 6-meg-per-second h.264 1080p 30 fps standard, which is actually rather low: Youtube recommends 8 megs per second for 1080 30 fps on its standards page at https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171 . Youtube recommends 7.5 megs per second for high-frame 720 of 48 fps or more. Since Vue streams at 720p 60 fps with a bit rate of 5 megs per second, Vue has settled on a standard that is only two-thirds as good as the Youtube standard.

Here's the point: Zambelli recommends that those who have settled on a 6-meg-per-second standard for 1080p h.264 at 30fps will find similar quality with 4k and h.265 at, get this, 12 megs per second!!

Clearly that's a deal-killer in terms of current streaming demands on ISP's. Let's translate that to Vue. Zambelli recommends a quality standard at 1080p that is only 75% of Youtube's quality standard. That would mean an equivalent Youtube recommendation to Zambelli's would be 15 megs a second for h.265 4K streaming. Vue is only two-thirds of Youtube's standard. Which means that to get the comparable quality to Vue's current 5 meg per second 720 60fps streaming, one would need to double the bit rate for 4K h.265, to 10 megs per second.

So not only will any appreciable bit rate savings from switching to h.265 by Vue be offset by the switch to 4k; in fact, bit rate needs will actually double. Clearly this is not very good news. I'm thinking, perhaps, that a switch to 4k by live stream providers, like Sling and PlayStation Vue, may actually have to wait for the emergence of a post-h.265 standard.
criggs is offline  
post #723 of 1024 Old 05-14-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,471
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Well I don't know if Netflix is using H.265 but they charge more to access the 4k content, which they seem to have most of. All their originals shows seem to be available in 4k.

Can all devices decode H.265 in software, say a 2 or 3 year old iPad or Apple TV? Or older PCs?
wco81 is offline  
 
post #724 of 1024 Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
I was very surprised to discover tonight that the Fire TV has a bandwidth monitor too, just like the Rokario Bandwidth meters I use on my three computers. The details are posted by Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202133620 . It does not tally total bandwidth used by the Fire TV. Rather it tallies total bandwidth used by each ap on the Fire TV, so one has to manually add it up.
WARNING!! This bandwidth monitor appears to use up a LOT of CPU resources! I found that while the data monitoring was on the performance of the Vue ap was very sluggish. I did NOT find that happening with the other aps I use a lot, like CBS News, CNN Go, Sky News and so on. So it appears that there's some sort of conflict between the Vue ap and Amazon's bandwidth ap.

One doesn't have to leave the bandwidth monitoring ap on in order to get the latest figures. Whenever you want the bandwidth figures simply enter the Settings Preferences menu, as described in the Amazon link I provided in my previous email quoted above, and turn the ap on for a moment, and walk in to look at the figures (and log them, if you like; I keep mine updated in a spreadsheet). But once you're done looking, if you're planning on watching Vue, definitely turn the data monitoring off.

I'm not sure on whose shoulders it is to rectify this apparent conflict, but someone, either Vue or Amazon, should take a look at this problem and straighten it out; it's unfortunate since it's a very useful ap.

Just to be clear, the Vue ap does not become non-functional with data monitoring on. It simply takes a long time to load up the ap, and to get the station going, about a minute. It then takes about a minute to switch to a different channel, and about a minute to pull up any show in the My Shows folder that you want to watch. Once the streaming starts, the operation is normal, though with another caveat: If you fast forward a bit or rewind, it again takes about a minute for the stream to catch up to where you want to be and to start playing again. But there is no buffering problem or anything like that once the stream starts playing; it's just really slow getting there.
If you think you can get used to the slower pace of the ap, I suppose you could leave it on.
criggs is offline  
post #725 of 1024 Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone having problems with their DVR'ed My Shows today? Two of my favorited MSNBC shows were not recorded today, even though the show still shows up in My Shows, and the shows remain clearly favorited. Anyone else having problems with their DVR recordings today??? Recordings from those two shows are there through last Friday, but nothing from today!! Anyone know what's going on??
criggs is offline  
post #726 of 1024 Old 05-15-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 3,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Anyone having problems with their DVR'ed My Shows today? Two of my favorited MSNBC shows were not recorded today, even though the show still shows up in My Shows, and the shows remain clearly favorited. Anyone else having problems with their DVR recordings today??? Recordings from those two shows are there through last Friday, but nothing from today!! Anyone know what's going on??
Welcome to cloud Dvrs. They have bugs from time to time. People using cloud dvrs are having weird problems over at Sling TV too from time to time.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #727 of 1024 Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Welcome to cloud Dvrs. They have bugs from time to time. People using cloud dvrs are having weird problems over at Sling TV too from time to time.
Hmmm. I've been using the Vue DVR since November, and this is the first time I've had any issues. Not a frequent occurrence. Of course, the Sling DVR is still in Beta.

That said, I was able, with some walk-through from Vue customer support, to figure out the exact parameters of the problem. It began at 10AM this morning, only affected MSNBC, and was still ongoing as of 130, when I completed the call to Vue. They said they'd look into it. At 2PM sharp the live MSNBC stream picked up the red REC dot again and all was well. All three shows from 10AM to 2PM appear lost forever. Apparently, if I hadn't called, it would never have been fixed, and apparently it only affected MSNBC since the other channels recording at the same time in My Shows, CNN and Fox News, were still being recorded properly.

Last edited by criggs; 05-15-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
criggs is offline  
post #728 of 1024 Old 05-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Anyone having problems with their DVR'ed My Shows today? Two of my favorited MSNBC shows were not recorded today, even though the show still shows up in My Shows, and the shows remain clearly favorited. Anyone else having problems with their DVR recordings today??? Recordings from those two shows are there through last Friday, but nothing from today!! Anyone know what's going on??
This is getting a little scary. Just now I noted that once again the MSNBC show I was supposed to be recording, All In, wasn't getting recorded (didn't get the red REC dot on the Fire TV playback and I wasn't getting the red dot in the upper right-hand corner of the Windows 8 playback). So I removed All In from My Shows completely and then added the show back in to My Shows again.

Sure enough, it showed up again the My Shows listing BUT IT STILL WASN'T RECORDING.

Does Vue not start recording in the middle of a show?

So I went to a show which I've never had in My Shows, Man With A Plan, and marked that as a favorite in My Shows. I then started playing it back live. The little red dot showed up, no problem, in my Windows 8 interface and the red REC dot in the Fire TV playback also showed up fine, no problem.

In other words, it's not some sort of intermittent problem, I don't think. Instead, for some reason, it is impossible suddenly to record certain designated MSNBC shows. And what makes this all the more odd is that the My Shows dialogue doesn't seem to be aware of this and is putting the show into My Shows just like there's no problem. Except, of course, it's not recording them.

Can someone out there try recording some of All In from MSNBC right now, and tell me if they can record it without a problem? Thanks!!!
Sweetmeat likes this.
criggs is offline  
post #729 of 1024 Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Can someone out there try recording some of All In from MSNBC right now, and tell me if they can record it without a problem? Thanks!!!
If you haven't had a chance yet to get around to recording MSNBC, don't bother for now: The 9PM Eastern show, Rachel Maddow, is recording fine. Given how this PITA is proceeding however, I'm fairly sure that the problem has not been fixed. I'm guessing there is a 50-50 chance that the 10PM Eastern show, The Last Word, and/or the 11PM Eastern show, The Eleventh Hour, will have the problem again. If either of them does, I'll alert anyone who wants to help me out, to see whether someone wants to try to record them at that time.
criggs is offline  
post #730 of 1024 Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 AM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
it is impossible suddenly to record certain designated MSNBC shows. And what makes this all the more odd is that the My Shows dialogue doesn't seem to be aware of this and is putting the show into My Shows just like there's no problem. Except, of course, it's not recording them.
Well, O'Donnell and Williams didn't record last night either.

This morning First Look and Morning Joe both recorded/are recording properly. Of course, this is no different from yesterday, when the problem started at 11AM with the first MSNBC Live show.

And finally someone yesterday, on the PlayStation Vue discussion forum, confirmed that he also could not record from MSNBC live. That discussion, if you wish to participate, is at https://community.us.playstation.com.../td-p/46247210 .

Last edited by criggs; 05-16-2017 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Additional information
criggs is offline  
post #731 of 1024 Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
The first thing I would do is to bypass Wi-Fi and try wired anyway you can. Maybe move the AppleTV to where it can be plugged into the router with a wire and then bring a small TV if you have one to the same location and try it just to see the difference.

Wi-Fi can have a strong radio signal but that doesn't mean that there isn't some kind of interference messing up the data that is modulated on the radio signal. Have you done a Wi-Fi scan to see if other routers in your area are using the same channel or some other interference happening like from wireless phones, baby monitors etc.?

I've used a program called InSSIDer to scan and see what wifi is in my area.

Do that first to eliminate wifi as a possible cause and then if it's the same, look deeper into your LAN devices and then internet service provider on whether your WAN isn't optimal.
I have the problem and I'm wired not wifi. This is on a PS4 and when it happens my bit rate drops from 5200 to 3500. Download speed reported by the app is fluctuating anywhere from 75000 to 111000 Kbps.

LG 65EF9500 OLED -- Samsung K8500 4K Blu-Ray Player
Denon X4200W AVR & Rogue Audio Atlas Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds
PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER

Sony XBR43X800E 4K LCD - bedroom tv
al210 is offline  
post #732 of 1024 Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
someone yesterday, on the PlayStation Vue discussion forum, confirmed that he also could not record from MSNBC live. That discussion, if you wish to participate, is at https://community.us.playstation.com.../td-p/46247210 .
This is not looking good. After four conversations with phone support over two days, and some email communication with a rather high-up engineering supervisor, I have yet to hear word one from any of them that they think this even CAN be fixed. It may be some permanent failure of some sort. I'm starting to suspect some jurisdictional problem between Vue and MSNBC that will take months to straighten out.

The ability to DVR the three nets 24/7/365, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, is a must-have for me and is non-negotiable. If Vue can't straighten this out, I'm going to have to leave. There's only one other service that combines my must-have subscription channels (the news nets plus SyFy) with DVR and that's Hulu Live TV. The price is the same, $39.99 (that's Vue's lowest-tier price in cities with O & O's like NYC, my town). I'm not thrilled about it, as there are some squirrelly limitations on the Hulu DVR, but I may not have a choice. On the one hand, it's nice that all these services are month-to-month and make it possible for folks like me to bail quickly and easily if something goes catastrophically wrong. On the other hand, for the last four months Vue has been perfect for me and I'm really going to be disappointed if I have to leave. Not a happy camper tonight.

It also means I'll have to get a Chromecast. Not a deal-killer (they're cheap; $35), but still moving from a Fire TV to a Chromecast is a step down in efficiency and design. I'll basically be moving from a Cadillac to a Ford, and I'm sure I'll miss the power and efficiency. Hopefully a service will come along in a few months to equal or exceed Hulu Live TV. Or perhaps a miracle will happen and Vue will fix this problem and I'll be able to go back to them. One can hope.
criggs is offline  
post #733 of 1024 Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
dmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Duncan Gap, North Central Arkansas
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got thru trying out PSVue on my PCs. Took all of about an hour to cancel it. As is noted all over their forum there are serious problems with their requirement for a static ip address. I thought somehow I might get lucky. Nope.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/45680178

To start with the dynamic ip pool from which I am assigned an ip are designated to be from a town I don't live near (20 miles away). That doesn't appear to be an issue though since I could sign up in my "real" city and could log in/watch on 3 PCs as was touted.

However, as soon as I rebooted my router and got a different ip (same city designation) I was informed that I was away from home. The channels that I checked all seemed to work on that 1 PC but I no longer could log in to PSVue on any other PC. I got a red colored warning of some kind that flashes very very briefly but I am unable to read it properly. Says something about showing me a list of available services then goes to main PSVue page and it won't log me in. I wonder what that message says. Anyone know?

I just tried this once so that maybe I wouldn't get banned. I was worried I would not be able to log in to cancel the subscription so I just bailed and canceled on the 1 PC that was logged in. Would have had to be real lucky to get the same ip address that I signed up with so that I would be seen as being at home again.

Anyone else have a similar experience or insights into the situation that I may have missed?

Edit: Don't intend to pay $20/month for a static ip address...Bummer!

Last edited by dmatch; 05-17-2017 at 10:16 AM.
dmatch is offline  
post #734 of 1024 Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
Just got thru trying out PSVue on my PCs. Took all of about an hour to cancel it. As is noted all over the web there are serious problems with their requirement for a static ip address. I thought somehow I might get lucky. Nope. To start with the dynamic ip pool from which I am assigned an ip are designated to be from a town I don't live near (20 miles away).
If you have a dynamic ip web connection that changes IP address every time you disconnect and reconnect, then Vue won't really work for you, since it assumes your ip address never changes. If you're getting a new ip address every time you connect to the Internet, then you're toast; Vue will always block you from many services as soon as you disconnect from the Internet and re-connect.

Basically what you will wind up with, most of the time, is their mobile service. On their mobile service, you can watch non-local OTA channels live, but that's about it. No local OTA channels and you can't watch your DVR recordings either. You can, however, continue to program DVR recordings. If you want a channel line-up similar to Vue and with DVR, then about your only other option is Hulu Live TV. DirecTV Now has a slightly better channel line-up but doesn't have DVR and Sling's and Youtube's channel line-ups are not competitive with DTV, Hulu and Vue, though they both have DVR. The Sling DVR is inferior however to Youtube's DVR.

The best combination is DirecTV Now's channel line-up with Vue's DVR, but that's pie in the sky, of course (Youtube DVR claims to be better than Vue's but their claims are deceptive and misleading and Vue's DVR is actually better).

There is one slim possibility for you if you really prefer Vue to Hulu Live TV (I shared that preference until this MSNBC/DVR problem came along). Once before my IP address had to change because my provider's modem went belly-up and I had to reboot it. At that time, I was told I would have to cancel my account and start a new one. I have no idea whether that process takes only a minute or day, because a helpful customer support person swooped in and did something and voila! my connection went back to normal without me having to do anything. Generally speaking, however, cancelling and re-upping appears to be the only fool-proof solution in most cases. You may find that that process only takes a minute and will turn out not to be that onerous. So, if you really want to give Vue a shot, you might want to practice doing that to see whether you can live with doing that on a regular basis. As far as I know, all your My Shows and preferences are keyed to your email address. So, as long as you always use the same email address, all your My Shows and preferences are preserved from subscription to subscription. So you don't lose your recordings or your favorites when you cancel and re-up, I believe. I'm not one hundred percent sure about that, however. Others here may have also researched that question and may know the definitive answer.
criggs is offline  
post #735 of 1024 Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
dmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Duncan Gap, North Central Arkansas
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
PSVue Requires Static IP

Thanks for the feedback.

Doesn't seem to be a really good solution since DTV Now has only 3 day rewind and Hulu doesn't support PC.

I created another account to try a workaround. Since my IP was showing up in the town 20 miles away, I gave that zip as my home zip. Was learning how to use stuff and had 1 PC and a phone going. It was looking good but when I logged in on 2nd PC (3rd connected device) I got the message that I had too many connections and that I needed to log out on another device and try again in ...3 hours. What the ****. That sucks!

Next thing I know the account that was working on the phone got the NOT AT HOME message. My darn IP had already changed in the 2 hours I was messing with PSVue to yet another town 25 miles in another direction.

Just isn't going to work and now if all is SNAFUed I'll get billed twice in 5 days.I did cancel both subscriptions so I hope I don't.
dmatch is offline  
post #736 of 1024 Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
I'm starting to suspect some jurisdictional problem between Vue and MSNBC that will take months to straighten out.
Uh-oh. Tonight someone had a very ominous conversation with Vue phone support, and posted a partial transcript. Here it is:

Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎38‎:‎08‎ ‎PM): so, It must be a licencing issue with those particular episodes. That is on their end, They didnt want it to be DVRed at the time
Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎38‎:‎56‎ ‎PM): give me a couple of minutes to review your last conversation
Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎41‎:‎24‎ ‎PM): So apparrently its an isue that is still being worked on. but its mostly on the broadcasters end

Now granted my first reaction was that this was just some front-line phone jockey who's working from scripts and just pulling an explanation out of a dark place, since many of them pull that crap. But it is an uncomfortable coincidence that he came up with a theory that had occurred to me as well.

There's one way to find out: Anyone here know anyone who subscribes to one of the other live streaming services with DVR, Hulu Live TV, Sling and Youtube TV? If you do, reach out and ask them to do a test recording of one of the blocked shows, and then try a test recording of one of the unblocked shows. For what it's worth, here are the shows that are not recording on Vue:

11AM Eastern MSNBC Live
Noon Eastern Andrea Mitchell Reports
1PM Eastern MSNBC Live with Craig Melvin
4PM Eastern Deadline: White House [Not blocked today! It was recorded properly! Might this nightmare be coming to a close??]
7PM Eastern Hardball With Chris Matthews
8PM Eastern All In With Chris Hayes
10PM Eastern The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell
11PM Eastern The 11th Hour with Brian Williams

And here are the shows that are still recording properly on Vue so far (we don't know the story on the weekend shows, since this problem hit on Monday):

5AM Eastern First Look
6AM Eastern Morning Joe
9AM Eastern MSNBC Live with Stephanie Ruhle [uh-oh. this show was also not recorded today, for the first time since this problem started]
10AM Eastern MSNBC Live with Hallie Jackson [uh-oh. this show was also not recorded today, for the first time since this problem started]
2PM Eastern MSNBC Live
3PM Eastern MSNBC Live
5PM Eastern MTP Daily
6PM Eastern For The Record With Greta Van Susteren
9PM Eastern The Rachel Maddow Show

This should be interesting, assuming someone locates a Hulu Live TV, Sling TV or Youtube TV user. Let us hope!
rickycoats@hotma likes this.

Last edited by criggs; 05-18-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Additional information
criggs is offline  
post #737 of 1024 Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
If you have a dynamic ip web connection that changes IP address every time you disconnect and reconnect, then Vue won't really work for you, since it assumes your ip address never changes.
If this is true the Vue will be dead in the water. Few people have static IPs.

I pay over $200 per month for a business class broadband (no bundle) and the last time a tech was out, he didn't want to make a couple tweaks to my account because he said when they re-provisioned I'd lose my static IP. Apparently paying $200/month is no longer enough to include a static IP.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
brentsg is offline  
post #738 of 1024 Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 AM
Member
 
alex99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question. For those of you who have the Vue app on Shield, how do you exit out? The only way I can seem to leave the app is by hitting the menu button, but I'm pretty sure the app is still running and chewing up resources. I'm using a Harmony One remote and did a quick google search but could not find anything with this exact scenario.

Thanks,
alex99 is offline  
post #739 of 1024 Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Member
 
satipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex99 View Post
Quick question. For those of you who have the Vue app on Shield, how do you exit out? The only way I can seem to leave the app is by hitting the menu button, but I'm pretty sure the app is still running and chewing up resources. I'm using a Harmony One remote and did a quick google search but could not find anything with this exact scenario.

Thanks,
I use Vue on NVIDIA Shield, and a Harmony remote. If you hit the menu button, the Vue app will still be running and streaming data until you select another app to open ( i.e., Netflix ). Netflix will open, and PS Vue will be suspended. When Vue is suspended it is essentially exited, it shouldn't be consuming any considerable resources or streaming data.

The other case is if you want to exit Vue, because you plan to turn off the T.V., and don't want the Vue app running while the T.V. is off. I have a 1 TB data cap on my internet plan, so I don't want Vue using more than it needs to. In this case, I've programmed my Harmony 'Off' sequence to include putting the Shield to sleep. When the Shield is put to sleep, the Vue app will be exited and suspended in the background.

If you really want the app exited from the background, you double click the menu button, and a task manager with the suspended apps will appear, and you can close it out completely. I rarely do this, unless the app is behaving having some problem to open.
satipo is offline  
post #740 of 1024 Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Member
 
alex99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
I use Vue on NVIDIA Shield, and a Harmony remote. If you hit the menu button, the Vue app will still be running and streaming data until you select another app to open ( i.e., Netflix ). Netflix will open, and PS Vue will be suspended. When Vue is suspended it is essentially exited, it shouldn't be consuming any considerable resources or streaming data.

The other case is if you want to exit Vue, because you plan to turn off the T.V., and don't want the Vue app running while the T.V. is off. I have a 1 TB data cap on my internet plan, so I don't want Vue using more than it needs to. In this case, I've programmed my Harmony 'Off' sequence to include putting the Shield to sleep. When the Shield is put to sleep, the Vue app will be exited and suspended in the background.

If you really want the app exited from the background, you double click the menu button, and a task manager with the suspended apps will appear, and you can close it out completely. I rarely do this, unless the app is behaving having some problem to open.
Thanks,

I didn't know about the ability to double click the menu button and bring up the task manager. I always put the Shield into sleep mode before clicking my TV macro button to return to OTA digital channels, so it sounds like I am in good shape. I just wish Sony had a proper exit button to leave the app.
alex99 is offline  
post #741 of 1024 Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Uh-oh. Tonight someone had a very ominous conversation with Vue phone support, and posted a partial transcript.

...

This should be interesting, assuming someone locates a Hulu Live TV, Sling TV or Youtube TV user. Let us hope!
this just says to me that Sony doesn't really know what they are doing...
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #742 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
edwardacampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Uh-oh. Tonight someone had a very ominous conversation with Vue phone support, and posted a partial transcript. Here it is:

Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎38‎:‎08‎ ‎PM): so, It must be a licencing issue with those particular episodes. That is on their end, They didnt want it to be DVRed at the time
Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎38‎:‎56‎ ‎PM): give me a couple of minutes to review your last conversation
Therman (‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎41‎:‎24‎ ‎PM): So apparrently its an isue that is still being worked on. but its mostly on the broadcasters end

Now granted my first reaction was that this was just some front-line phone jockey who's working from scripts and just pulling an explanation out of a dark place, since many of them pull that crap. But it is an uncomfortable coincidence that he came up with a theory that had occurred to me as well.

There's one way to find out: Anyone here know anyone who subscribes to one of the other live streaming services with DVR, Hulu Live TV, Sling and Youtube TV? If you do, reach out and ask them to do a test recording of one of the blocked shows, and then try a test recording of one of the unblocked shows. For what it's worth, here are the shows that are not recording on Vue:

11AM Eastern MSNBC Live
Noon Eastern Andrea Mitchell Reports
1PM Eastern MSNBC Live with Craig Melvin
4PM Eastern Deadline: White House [Not blocked today! It was recorded properly! Might this nightmare be coming to a close??]
7PM Eastern Hardball With Chris Matthews
8PM Eastern All In With Chris Hayes
10PM Eastern The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell
11PM Eastern The 11th Hour with Brian Williams

And here are the shows that are still recording properly on Vue so far (we don't know the story on the weekend shows, since this problem hit on Monday):

5AM Eastern First Look
6AM Eastern Morning Joe
9AM Eastern MSNBC Live with Stephanie Ruhle [uh-oh. this show was also not recorded today, for the first time since this problem started]
10AM Eastern MSNBC Live with Hallie Jackson [uh-oh. this show was also not recorded today, for the first time since this problem started]
2PM Eastern MSNBC Live
3PM Eastern MSNBC Live
5PM Eastern MTP Daily
6PM Eastern For The Record With Greta Van Susteren
9PM Eastern The Rachel Maddow Show

This should be interesting, assuming someone locates a Hulu Live TV, Sling TV or Youtube TV user. Let us hope!
I had the same experience with a sharp CSR and his response - after checking with his supervisor - was MSNBC is going this route for just about everything they offer as streaming content.

This also applies to carriers like SLING. Checked in with SLING - we share a sub with another part of our family for access to full-screen Bloomberg TV feed - and their usual "replay" function is not allowed by MSNBC even if you're paying extra for their DVR.

So, bye-bye to most of my MSNBC viewing. CNN ain't what it used to be - we all know - but, I can click into CNN as a Favorite Channel in the middle of a show and switch to "start at the beginning" on VUE - unlike MSNBC.
edwardacampbell is offline  
post #743 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Member
 
GlassEtcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm viewing PSV via an Apple TV. If, while viewing a program, I hit the home button on the ATV remote to go to the ATV home page and then turn off the TV, will PSV still be streaming in the background, or does PSV shut down the stream until I go back to it again?
GlassEtcher is offline  
post #744 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 3,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassEtcher View Post
I'm viewing PSV via an Apple TV. If, while viewing a program, I hit the home button on the ATV remote to go to the ATV home page and then turn off the TV, will PSV still be streaming in the background, or does PSV shut down the stream until I go back to it again?
Apps on the Apple tv will not be streaming when you go to the home page, but if you are turning the TV off, just put the the ATV to sleep. Hookup the the CEC function and you can put it to sleep and turn the TV off with one button. Hitting the menu button will wake it up and turn your TV back on.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #745 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardacampbell View Post
This also applies to carriers like SLING. Checked in with SLING - we share a sub with another part of our family for access to full-screen Bloomberg TV feed - and their usual "replay" function is not allowed by MSNBC even if you're paying extra for their DVR.
No, that's a different problem actually. And it happens to be one that is NOT happening on PS Vue with MSNBC. Meaning that Vue subscribers are having no problem hitting the Replay button and watching a live show from the beginning. Rather what's happening with Vue subscribers is that MSNBC shows that are clearly selected by the subscriber for recording on the Cloud DVR ain't there after the show's over. As far as that goes, the availability of MSNB shows requested to be DVR'ed after they've aired, it sounds to me, from what you're telling me, that that function continues to operate normally on the other services, meaning Vue is unique in terms of having this problem.
criggs is offline  
post #746 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
edwardacampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
No, that's a different problem actually. And it happens to be one that is NOT happening on PS Vue with MSNBC. Meaning that Vue subscribers are having no problem hitting the Replay button and watching a live show from the beginning. Rather what's happening with Vue subscribers is that MSNBC shows that are clearly selected by the subscriber for recording on the Cloud DVR ain't there after the show's over. As far as that goes, the availability of MSNB shows requested to be DVR'ed after they've aired, it sounds to me, from what you're telling me, that that function continues to operate normally on the other services, meaning Vue is unique in terms of having this problem.
Criggs, I don't know what you're watching on MSNBC on VUE; but, there is a longish thread at VUE Support just on this topic. I'm late to the discussion in fact. The situation has expanded day-by-day with VUEers noting which shows are added to the list of shows exhibiting this problem. Thread started May 18th.

I didn't write down chapter and verse, today, because, frankly, I'm trying to get used to CNN. [Sheesh, never thought I'd say that]. But, a half-hour ago, I clicked into Brian Williams 11th HOUR and got the pink line at the bottom. That means you get nothing nprior to the moment you clicked into the show.

Yes, it used to be if you listed a show as MY SHOW, you could hit it. In my case, using the Apple remote, you could pause, swipe left, restart and get a red bar and pushed back to the login point. Repeat the process and get a blue bar at the bottom and go wherever you wished up to wherever the live show was at that moment.

Among the several shows I usually watched - past tense, now - only Rachel Maddow Show still functions that way. I did have a few daytime shows exhibit the functions you describe, e.g., essentially the same as the SLING replay function - without the ability to fast forward you get with Bloomberg TV on SLING.

Here's a link to the VUE Support thread: https://*******.com/y82gdxm2
edwardacampbell is offline  
post #747 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
edwardacampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardacampbell View Post
Criggs, I don't know what you're watching on MSNBC on VUE; but, there is a longish thread at VUE Support just on this topic. I'm late to the discussion in fact. The situation has expanded day-by-day with VUEers noting which shows are added to the list of shows exhibiting this problem. Thread started May 18th.

I didn't write down chapter and verse, today, because, frankly, I'm trying to get used to CNN. [Sheesh, never thought I'd say that]. But, a half-hour ago, I clicked into Brian Williams 11th HOUR and got the pink line at the bottom. That means you get nothing nprior to the moment you clicked into the show.

Yes, it used to be if you listed a show as MY SHOW, you could hit it. In my case, using the Apple remote, you could pause, swipe left, restart and get a red bar and pushed back to the login point. Repeat the process and get a blue bar at the bottom and go wherever you wished up to wherever the live show was at that moment.

Among the several shows I usually watched - past tense, now - only Rachel Maddow Show still functions that way. I did have a few daytime shows exhibit the functions you describe, e.g., essentially the same as the SLING replay function - without the ability to fast forward you get with Bloomberg TV on SLING.

Here's a link to the VUE Support thread: https://*******.com/y82gdxm2
Thought AVS might not like a *******. Here's the long version:

https://community.us.playstation.com.../td-p/46251956

It that ain't allowed, search the Playstation support forum for "MSNBC-recording-not-working-consistantly-anymore"

The OP's spelling, not mine. :-]
edwardacampbell is offline  
post #748 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardacampbell View Post
a half-hour ago, I clicked into Brian Williams 11th HOUR and got the pink line at the bottom. That means you get nothing nprior to the moment you clicked into the show. Yes, it used to be if you listed a show as MY SHOW, you could hit it. In my case, using the Apple remote, you could pause, swipe left, restart and get a red bar and pushed back to the login point. Repeat the process and get a blue bar at the bottom and go wherever you wished up to wherever the live show was at that moment. Among the several shows I usually watched - past tense, now - only Rachel Maddow Show still functions that way. I did have a few daytime shows exhibit the functions you describe, e.g., essentially the same as the SLING replay function - without the ability to fast forward you get with Bloomberg TV on SLING.
That's fascinating. That's specifically NOT how things are working with me. I have the Fire TV and also watch PS Vue on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computer. So it appears that this problem is affecting different devices different ways. In the case of the Fire TV and the browser interface, the Replay function has not been affected at all. It is still operating at 100%, whether one is watching a show that is being DVR'ed or not. I have full Replay, and full fast forward and rewind within the show, as long as it's in the middle of live airing.

It appears, on the other hand, that the Apple TV interface has been significantly more affected, inasmuch as it is not only impossible to access DVR recordings of these shows now but the Replay function has likewise been disabled. This is an additional degradation in the interface performance about which I'm not sure PS Vue Support is aware

I am very familiar with the two threads you mentioned; in fact I'm one of the participants in both of them (my nom du web there is chriggsiii). And I strongly believe that this difference in the way that the Replay function has been affected by this problem from device to device is something of which most are unaware. You might want to post some info regard to it, unless I've missed a reference to it elsewhere in that thread. You will note, for example, that in all of my messages, the only report I've made is that these shows are failing to record.
criggs is offline  
post #749 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
edwardacampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
That's fascinating. That's specifically NOT how things are working with me. I have the Fire TV and also watch PS Vue on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computer. So it appears that this problem is affecting different devices different ways. In the case of the Fire TV and the browser interface, the Replay function has not been affected at all. It is still operating at 100%, whether one is watching a show that is being DVR'ed or not. I have full Replay, and full fast forward and rewind within the show, as long as it's in the middle of live airing.

It appears, on the other hand, that the Apple TV interface has been significantly more affected, inasmuch as it is not only impossible to access DVR recordings of these shows now but the Replay function has likewise been disabled. This is an additional degradation in the interface performance about which I'm not sure PS Vue Support is aware

I am very familiar with the two threads you mentioned; in fact I'm one of the participants in both of them (my nom du web there is chriggsiii). And I strongly believe that this difference in the way that the Replay function has been affected by this problem from device to device is something of which most are unaware. You might want to post some info regard to it, unless I've missed a reference to it elsewhere in that thread. You will note, for example, that in all of my messages, the only report I've made is that these shows are failing to record.
Life in the fast lane, eh?

I'll have to walk all of 30 feet over to the guesthouse and try it out. Kinfolk visiting are using their Firestick on the TV there. Gen 1, I believe.

I caught updates to both the AppleTVOS and the VUE app around the time period of the beginning of all this - so, didn't pay much attention until I was shunted out of my usual habit of watching either VUE shows stored On Demand or in DVR / Amazon Prime goodies via mediocre Smart Hub app on the TV. I sort of expect ill-behaved inter-reactions when we're sneaking up on WWDC = iOS11, the Amazon Prime app for tvOS, etc., coming soon. Often content apps and OS get out of sync. Just got frustrating when my usual drop-in on Brian Wms late news show ceased to allow "Start from the Beginning". Since we're only a couple of weeks from WWDC, I'll hang in and catch what I can. See if things get sorted after that.

I have chatted with VUE Support and the person I reached seemed knowledgeable, referenced his supervisor, and noted he would pass it along to appropriate coders. Been kind of counting on that being resolved. Did have the same problems on my iPad, this morning, too, so, looks like both non-Mac OS' are affected.

MEANWHILE, aside from official answers I get from SLING support, do YOU need to sub to DVR to get the news shows to work w/FF, RW, Replay? Bloomberg is a breeze...and we don't have DVR sub [Blue, though].

Not so incidentally for me, though I generally hate the AppleTV remote / use my Logitech 650 whenever possible...I can sift through most VUE DVR shows / Demand shows...with abandon, a flick of a finger jumping full time or any sloppy increment in between. :-]
edwardacampbell is offline  
post #750 of 1024 Old 05-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
criggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardacampbell View Post
do YOU need to sub to DVR to get the news shows to work w/FF, RW, Replay?
It took a little doing to answer that question, since I have the whole schedule for BBC World, CNN, Fox and MSNBC covered. But my pea-brain finally hit on CNBC and Fox Business, the shows from which I do not subscribe to, as a means of testing your question. And the answer is yes, I am not getting FF and RW with Fox Business and CNBC.

However I AM getting Replay with Fox Business, and I am NOT getting Replay with CNBC. I don't know whether the variable is the channel or the program. Currently Fox Business is airing Lou Dobbs and CNBC is airing Undercover Boss.

And, just now, I discovered I am also getting Replay, but not FF or RW, with CNN's United Shades, which began at 1AM Eastern.

It will probably take me some more experimenting to answer the program vs. channel question. There are a few programs even on the Big Three which I do not DVR on weekends: MSNBC's Your Business at 730AM Sat./Sun., Fox's Bulls and Bears at 10AM Eastern on Sat., Fox's Cavuto on Business at 1030 Eastern on Sat., Fox's Forbes on Fox at 11AM Eastern on Sat., Fox's Cashin' In at 11AM on Sat., CNN's Vital Signs on Sat. at 2PM Eastern, Fox's Journal Editorial Report at 5PM on Sat., Fox's Watter's World at 8PM Sat./Sun., Fox's Justice with Judge Jeanine at 9PM Sat./Sun., Fox's Greg Gutfeld Show at 10PM Sat., CNN's The Seventies at 9PM on Sat., MSNBC's Dateline Extra at 2AM and 7AM on Sun., CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS at 10AM on Sun., CNN's Reliable Sources at 11AM on Sun., Fox's Media Buzz at 11AM on Sun. and all of MSNBC's Lockup shows.

So I'll try to check out a few of those in the coming two days to see how they're behaving.

By the way, I just made what may be an important discovery. One of my Fox favorites, Fox Report at 7PM on Sat. and Sun., is not recording either, even though it is clearly marked as a favorite in My Shows. This is the first show so far which has been suffering from this problem which has not been an MSNBC show. So I will add a report on this to the thread.

Looks like this problem may start creeping into other stations as well; not good.
criggs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off