The PlayStation Vue Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 138Likes

post #1051 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Well I watched my first live NHL game of the season, and we were watching live for the first several minutes. My kid wanted to see the Penguins banner go up, so we backed up to see that. Afterward when we tried to go back to where we were in the recording, we got the "Fast forward is disabled for this program" message.

So long PS Vue.
This is something that I think would drive me crazy. And some here telling me Vue's system is superior to a physical DVR, lol.

Sony 65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Well I watched my first live NHL game of the season, and we were watching live for the first several minutes. My kid wanted to see the Penguins banner go up, so we backed up to see that. Afterward when we tried to go back to where we were in the recording, we got the "Fast forward is disabled for this program" message.

So long PS Vue.
That’s because it sounds like you were watching live not a “recording”. If you are live and go back use the directional buttons (usually a right button or the right part of the circular button) and you will advance in 10 second increments for each press. Or, if you want to go back to “live” from a rewind you hit the down arrow then the ⏭ button (farthest right).

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1053 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Quote:

So long PS Vue.
This is something that I think would drive me crazy. And some here telling me Vue's system is superior to a physical DVR, lol.
Way superior, I have at least 20tb of shows. Not something easily done with a Physical DVR.

post #1054 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Way superior, I have at least 20tb of shows. Not something easily done with a Physical DVR.
Good luck watching 20 TB of shows. I've never gone below 92% free disc space on my 2 TB drive. Never have to worry if I can FF or RW a show. Or need to watch something within 28 days. I have some favorite recordings which are over a year old. I guess it always comes down to you get what you pay for, and if it's worth it to you. I'm finding it hard to make the break from DTV given what I'm seeing with Vue.

Sony 65A1E
post #1055 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
That’s because it sounds like you were watching live not a “recording”. If you are live and go back use the directional buttons (usually a right button or the right part of the circular button) and you will advance in 10 second increments for each press. Or, if you want to go back to “live” from a rewind you hit the down arrow then the ⏭ button (farthest right).
But the problem remains. Viewing sports time delayed is pretty common, b/c it shouldn't take 3 hours to watch an event. So I arrive 1 hour in, and I'm "recording" the event. Generally I record stuff and start watching after the kids go to bed.

My goals:
-Start watching delayed, but before the event has ended
-FF thru commercials and down time
-Don't see the score as a spoiler

It shouldn't be that hard, but streaming has dropped the ball so far. As it is, I either get stuck not FF.. I get the score spoiled accidentally.. or I wait until it's completely over before I begin watching.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #1056 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
But the problem remains. Viewing sports time delayed is pretty common, b/c it shouldn't take 3 hours to watch an event. So I arrive 1 hour in, and I'm "recording" the event. Generally I record stuff and start watching after the kids go to bed.

My goals:
-Start watching delayed, but before the event has ended
-FF thru commercials and down time
-Don't see the score as a spoiler

It shouldn't be that hard, but streaming has dropped the ball so far. As it is, I either get stuck not FF.. I get the score spoiled accidentally.. or I wait until it's completely over before I begin watching.
Odd. You should not be getting FF problems if you've programmed the show ahead of time in your My Shows page for DVR. I've never had that problem. I encounter all the problems you've described if I haven't programmed the show to record. But as long as I've programmed it before the show begins, things work fine. For what it's worth, I use the Fire TV, the Android phone ap in conjunction with ChromeCast, a Windows 7 computer and a Windows 8 computer.
m_snow likes this.
post #1057 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll give it another go. I'm just amazed at how little thought some of the streaming providers put in..

I'm trying DirecTV Now, but that's incomplete as of yet (no DVR).

YouTube TV was also given a spin during the game last night. No matter what I did, it kept wanting to glitch and zoom to live TV. It also would default to the live view of whatever I was recording, rather than ask if I want to start at the beginning. Dumb. Who would want to skip all the recorded show and go straight to the end?

So Vue isn't out of the running by virtue of others' failure as well.

Last edited by brentsg; 10-05-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #1058 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
HULU WARNING!!! As I understand it, DVR recordings from live channels have commercials through which you CANNOT fast forward!! Yes, you can defeat that, -- for another fifteen, that's FIFTEEN, dollars a month. Yeah, your on-demand content is commercial-free for only an additional four dollars but NOT your DVR recordings from live channels.

Whereas Vue gives you the same ability to fast forward through commercials on your DVR recordings for NOTHING extra. To me, this is a deal-killer for Hulu. That literally eats up 50% of my savings from having dumped Verizon FIOS.
I almost signed up for a Hulu trial until I discovered that to get a functional DVR costs $15/mo.!! They really bury that fact. Really would have been annoyed if I went thru the signup process and then realized they didn't have functional DVR. Almost no one mentions that.
Spinningbull likes this.
post #1059 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'll give it another go. I'm just amazed at how little thought some of the streaming providers put in..

I'm trying DirecTV Now, but that's incomplete as of yet (no DVR).

Yahoo TV was also given a spin during the game last night. No matter what I did, it kept wanting to glitch and zoom to live TV. It also would default to the live view of whatever I was recording, rather than ask if I want to start at the beginning. Dumb. Who would want to skip all the recorded show and go straight to the end?

Yeah, you just gotta get used to how it works. The documentation isn’t complete. It’s a lot of trial and error but IMHO it’s the best of what’s out there as long as it has the majority of stations you need.

Mike
post #1060 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yahoo TV was also given a spin during the game last night. No matter what I did, it kept wanting to glitch and zoom to live TV. It also would default to the live view of whatever I was recording, rather than ask if I want to start at the beginning. Dumb. Who would want to skip all the recorded show and go straight to the end?
Yahoo's also got an OTT service??!! First I heard about this. Just googled it but came up empty. Can you give us their web site? I'd like to check out their channel line-up and their DVR function. Thanks!!
post #1061 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yahoo's also got an OTT service??!! First I heard about this. Just googled it but came up empty. Can you give us their web site? I'd like to check out their channel line-up and their DVR function. Thanks!!
I just assumed he meant YouTube TV.
brentsg likes this.

Mike
post #1062 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I just assumed he meant YouTube TV.
We shall see.
post #1063 of 1113 Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh, so sorry. Yes my fingers went astray and typed Yahoo instead of YouTube. Very sorry for the misinformation.

I had been reading about the news on the old Yahoo breach and had them on my mind.

Last edited by brentsg; 10-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #1064 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
This is pretty much what happened to me.

My problems with Vue are there. They don't have the C-Span channels, I wish I could designate shows I want to keep past the 28-day mark, so that Vue would bypass those shows when doing its 28-day nuking thing, it is impossible in individual instances to request that the system record a rerun, as it will only record first-airs, etc. etc.

But I did an exhaustive survey of all the other OTT services when I decided to cut the cord last November, and I've been continually reviewing and updating my knowledge base on OTT services since, and the only one that didn't have deal-killer problems, so far, was Vue.

By way of illustration, here are my personal deal-killer problems with each of the other OTT services:

DirecTV Now: No DVR
Fubo TV: No CNN
Hulu Live TV: For a usable no-commercials DVR option, the monthly price is $55, which makes it non-competitive with cord TV.
Sling: No Fox News
Youtube TV: No CNN

At some point, one or more of those services may rectify the above problems. When and if they do, I could conceivably switch. I keep watch on those services on a regular basis, therefore, to see if any of that changes. Obviously I also keep an eye out for additional services that might come on the market.
snidely likes this.
post #1065 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

My problems with Vue are there. They don't have the C-Span channels, I wish I could designate shows I want to keep past the 28-day mark, so that Vue would bypass those shows when doing its 28-day nuking thing, it is impossible in individual instances to request that the system record a rerun, as it will only record first-airs, etc. etc.

But I did an exhaustive survey of all the other OTT services when I decided to cut the cord last November, and I've been continually reviewing and updating my knowledge base on OTT services since, and the only one that didn't have deal-killer problems, so far, was Vue.

By way of illustration, here are my personal deal-killer problems with each of the other OTT services:

Hulu Live TV: For a usable no-commercials DVR option, the monthly price is $55, which makes it non-competitive with cord TV.

At some point, one or more of those services may rectify the above problems. When and if they do, I could conceivably switch. I keep watch on those services on a regular basis, therefore, to see if any of that changes. Obviously I also keep an eye out for additional services that might come on the market.
So when DirecTV Now launched their DVR that is currently in beta does that put them over Vue in your opinion?
post #1066 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:

For me the deal killer for Sling was no CBS. I considered their missing Fox News as a benefit (little political humor there).

By the way, while acknowledging that a 28 day limit can be problematic for some people, I can understand why Sony has to control storage to keep costs under control. Also another benefit of Vue’s cloud DVR is that you can record every single channel you subscribe to simultaneously. That’s pretty cool I think.

Mike
post #1067 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic4tKnight View Post
So when DirecTV Now launched their DVR that is currently in beta does that put them over Vue in your opinion?
It will depend on the functioning of the DVR. Vue provides 28 days, or 14,000 hours (maximum derived from my 21 favorite channels), of storage, Youtube TV provides 9 months of storage, Hulu Live TV provides 50 hours or 200 hours, depending on whether you're willing to pay the $15 monthly extortion for the latter, Sling provides 50 hours. Vue gives commercial-free DVR, as does Youtube TV and Sling, Hulu provides commercial-free only as a $15 monthly extra.

I'd say, to compete, or beat, Vue, at least for my needs, DirecTV Now would have to provide 5000 hours, or 15 days, of storage.
post #1068 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
For me the deal killer for Sling was no CBS.
Not a problem for me. I get CBS fine OTA, and use the Channel Master DVR+ as my record device; so I'm covered there.

Quote:
while acknowledging that a 28 day limit can be problematic for some people, I can understand why Sony has to control storage to keep costs under control. Also another benefit of Vue’s cloud DVR is that you can record every single channel you subscribe to simultaneously. That’s pretty cool I think.
I am largely happy with Vue's DVR. In fact, in some ways, I am VERY happy; that's one of the strongest features of Vue. Even though I'm paying $30 less a month, I get a DVR that is much more powerful than the one I had with Verizon FIOS. On FIOS I could only record a maximum of two channels at the same time; on Vue, I can record as many channels as I want simultaneously, as you point out. On FIOS, I was limited to 200 hours; on Vue, if you recorded all of my 21 favorite channels 24/7 for 28 days, that means I'm getting over 14,000 hours. There's simply no comparison, and I'm spoiled rotten as a result. Going back to the more expensive "superior" Verizon FIOS TV service now would actually feel like a step down or backward. In that sense, Vue is an incredible value (or FIOS DVR is an incredibly bad value, take your pick).
m_snow likes this.
post #1069 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I agree with all the points above, which is why I'm still begrudgingly on vue. However, the first streaming service that comes close to vue functionality with better sound (5.1) I'm there! I pay for hbo through vue, but have started watching on the hbo app as the sound is way better.

I had high hopes for hulu (still do), because I bet they will have 5.1 and better video before anyone else.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #1070 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
I agree with all the points above, which is why I'm still begrudgingly on vue. However, the first streaming service that comes close to vue functionality with better sound (5.1) I'm there! I pay for hbo through vue, but have started watching on the hbo app as the sound is way better.

I had high hopes for hulu (still do), because I bet they will have 5.1 and better video before anyone else.

And ^^THIS^^ is what I LOVE MOST about streaming and streaming packages...the competition and innovation is only getting stronger and better and who benefits most from that? Us. And we have decent competitive prices and NO CONTRACT which means we can switch on a dime with no penalty. Pretty sweet.

Mike
post #1071 of 1113 Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:

It's been 10 years and still waiting for 5.1 from Hulu, so no I don't see them adding it to their live service.
post #1072 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
DTV Now looks to me to be positioning themselves to be the streaming leader. They'll have a DVR service soon and 4K channels. I have a feeling they won't be quite so competitive when it comes to pricing though. I read a while back that AT&T sees streaming as the future of DirecTV and wants to move away from satellites entirely.

Quote:
Does Vue not have 5.1 Dolby Surround? I thought they did when I was trying them out.

Sony 65A1E
post #1073 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I agree with all the points above, which is why I'm still begrudgingly on vue. However, the first streaming service that comes close to vue functionality with better sound (5.1) I'm there! I pay for hbo through vue, but have started watching on the hbo app as the sound is way better. I had high hopes for hulu (still do), because I bet they will have 5.1 and better video before anyone else.
Hulu's got other problems. To get DVR service that's comparable to Vue, Hulu's asking for $55 a month at the lowest tier, which basically is comparable to cord TV. That pretty much guts the whole point of switching to OTT services, which has always been first about saving money.
post #1074 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
DTV Now looks to me to be positioning themselves to be the streaming leader. They'll have a DVR service soon and 4K channels. I have a feeling they won't be quite so competitive when it comes to pricing though. I read a while back that AT&T sees streaming as the future of DirecTV and wants to move away from satellites entirely.

Does Vue not have 5.1 Dolby Surround? I thought they did when I was trying them out.
None of the streaming services have 5.1 sound I believe.
post #1075 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's not good. I admit I didn't notice when I tried out Vue for the 5 day trial period but I didn't watch it extensively and was mostly paying attention to picture quality.

Sony 65A1E
post #1076 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
I think DirecTV Now has 5.1 on some of their VOD content, not sure about any of the live channel streams.
post #1077 of 1113 Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I think DirecTV Now has 5.1 on some of their VOD content, not sure about any of the live channel streams.
They have been experimenting, they have had Cinemax and HBO for awhile in 5.1 on VOD, and for about a week they had it on the live stream for Cinemax, and then they didn't it. That was a few months back.
Keenan likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #1078 of 1113 Old 10-08-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:

What’s your source (link please) for DTV Now will soon be streaming 4K channels? I find that hard to believe.

Mike
post #1079 of 1113 Old 10-08-2017, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What’s your source (link please) for DTV Now will soon be streaming 4K channels? I find that hard to believe.
I said DVR soon and 4K channels.

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-no...soon-4k-later/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#4e43744377aa

Sony 65A1E
post #1080 of 1113 Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 AM

Thanks. 4K HDR would be awesome although I suspect most TV programs are not shot in that format. In any case it will be an improvement but, as you said, a cost.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page