Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #1 of 917 Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The PlayStation Vue Thread

SAN MATEO, Calif., Nov. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today unveiled PlayStation™Vue, a pioneering new cloud-based TV service that reinvents the television experience.

"Everyday TV is about to become extraordinary with our new cloud-based TV service, PlayStation™Vue," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and Group Executive in charge of the Network Entertainment Business. "PlayStation™Vue reinvents the traditional viewing experience so your programming effortlessly finds you, enabling you to watch much more of what you want and search a lot less. PlayStation™Vue brings the best of live TV and a robust catalog of the latest content, always keeping you connected to what's popular, new and trending. Today's announcement builds on the historic success of PlayStation®4 and demonstrates what our company is capable of when we embrace disruption and stay true to gamers."

Removing Barriers between Viewers and Content

PlayStation™Vue leverages the power of the cloud to combine the live, on-demand, and catch-up TV content viewers love with a powerful user interface that delivers unprecedented personalization and simplicity.

PlayStation™Vue immediately connects viewers to the content they want to watch, helps them easily access their favorite shows and channels, and recommends movies and shows based on their viewing habits and what's trending.
Discovering content is both simple and powerful with PlayStation™Vue. The smart "Search" feature narrows down results quickly and intuitively, and the powerful "Explore" function allows viewers to filter the entire catalog of live and on-demand content by type of program, genre, ratings, popularity, length and more.
PlayStation™Vue delivers catch-up and on-demand TV, freeing viewers to watch TV on their own schedules. The service makes the past three days of popular programming available without the need to schedule recordings.
Viewers can save their favorite shows to the cloud without storage restrictions or scheduling conflicts. Once viewers tag a favorite show, they will automatically have access to episodes of that show for 28 days so that they can watch on their own time.
PlayStation™Vue is simple to navigate and intuitive to use. By leveraging the power of the PlayStation® platform and controller, viewers are always one click away from quick access to watching, finding, and discovering content.
The Best Content on TV

During the invite-only beta, PlayStation™Vue will initially offer around 75 channels per market from the following major programmers, including local broadcast stations, so that viewers can enjoy their favorite movies, TV shows, and sports programs.

The following is a list of our current network partners, with additional partners to be announced in the future:

CBS – At launch, PlayStation®Vue will offer the live linear signal from CBS Television Network's owned-and-operated TV stations in select leading markets in addition to on-demand prime-time programming.
Discovery Communications – Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Family Channel and 11 more brands.
Fox – Fox Networks Group's portfolio of national entertainment programming services, including - FX, FXX, FXM, National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo WILD. Additionally FOX Sports' national and regional programming services - FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, BTN, Fox's regional sports networks, including YES Network and Prime Ticket. The agreement also covers Fox's owned and operated television stations.
NBCUniversal – All local offerings from NBC, Telemundo and regional sports networks as well as Bravo, CNBC, E!, NBCSN, Oxygen, Sprout, Syfy, USA Network and more.
Scripps Networks Interactive – HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network and Cooking Channel.
Viacom – BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, PALLADIA, Spike, VH1 and more.
Transparent Pricing with No Commitments

Pricing and packaging details will be revealed at commercial launch but PlayStation™Vue is changing the rules for how people pay for subscription TV.

What you see is what you pay – fair and competitive price that is transparent with no hidden fees or charges.
No contracts – maximum flexibility as PlayStation™Vue will be offered on a month-to-month basis without any penalty or customer service hassles for cancellation.
No equipment or installation charges – with broadband internet service and a PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®3 system, there's no need to install or rent any additional equipment.
Availability

PlayStation™Vue will begin an invite only beta preview during November for select PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 owners, with a phased rollout starting in New York followed later by Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. The service will also become available on iPad® shortly thereafter, and later on more Sony and non-Sony devices.

PlayStation™Vue will launch commercially during the first quarter of 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 917 Old 01-17-2015, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Questions:

1) Will it only support one stream per subscription (like Dish's Sling TV)?
2) What is the price?
3) Any possibility Sony might change its mind and offer several smaller packages instead of just one large package?
4) When is the commercial launch?
post #3 of 917 Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 3897
Im real interested in this, if they can sign Disney and maybe locals.

Seems, according to CES, the launch is "early" 2015/1st qtr, and will be month to month payments.

post #4 of 917 Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I read comment today that it will allow you to save shows on the cloud for 28 days. If that is the max I'm already out of this. We regularly run over a month behind.
post #5 of 917 Old 01-25-2015, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I read comment today that it will allow you to save shows on the cloud for 28 days. If that is the max I'm already out of this. We regularly run over a month behind.
28 days postponement is not enough for you?? LOL

For me personally, I never recorded any shows with my DVR when I still had one from Cox Cable. If I miss a live showing, "oh well". If a show or series is popular, then you can probably find it on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc, so you don't need the PS Vue service. PS Vue is really for complementing those streaming services, not to replace it. It does plan to replace live broadcasts such as local shows and news (so that you don't have to subscribe to your cable company's basic package in order to just watch basic TV), and so being able to store these for a later viewing is already a PLUS over regular TV. This is the benefit that I am willing to pay for.
post #6 of 917 Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm currently watching DVR's from 11/25, so no, it is not enough for me. The point of a multi tuner DVR with 1TB of storage is so I do not have to be tied to watching something. The days of a 1 tuner, 20 hour DVR are long gone. If cloud storage want's to make it, they better figure this out.

End of the day, if I am paying for the service, I want to be able to watch a program when I get ready, not have it expire. I mean what is the point of cloud storage if not to watch when you want?
post #7 of 917 Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Pathetic. It is all about their business model for leveraging profits and has nothing to do with consumer benefits.......
They could have easily made it unlimited but decided to severely limit it to 28 days. What a joke. Sony needs to learn (re-learn) a lot still to get back to a level they used to be before they became a content owner.
post #8 of 917 Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile

VERY interesting to hear about PS Vue but you guys need to keep a few things in mind. #1 . Let's try to give these companies (Sony & Dish Network) a little bit of a break. They are just starting out with this new service so everything is not going to be perfect. I hear so many quotes of people complaining about some of SlingTV's options, but they must start somewhere. OTT tv is new and Sling was looking at casting out the widest net possible to appeal to the widest audience. I hear people complain about being made to order sports but, when polled, most all people who said they wanted to cut the cord but have not, was because they would lose their sports channels. I understand not EVERYONE likes sports, but there are many who do. Same way not everyone will want Disney, Food Network, or HG-tv but those are some of the most popular channels out there when you look at our population as a whole. People also complain about not being able to watch on more than one device at a time, limited cloud storage, etc. Again, it's a NEW service. Just look at how many people out there share their HBO-GO passwords. Sling would be shooting itself in the foot if they offered this service on several devices because then people would just share passwords and they would lose out on potential customers. Satellite tv started out the same way and believe me, they WILL address this issue at some point.
Ok, now on to PS Vue specifically. Sony really needs to get on the ball and start releasing some more info about PS Vue. It was stated months ago it would be available in the first quarter of this year. We are in March and still haven't heard many of the important details about this service, MAINLY THE PRICE ! ! ! ! They could have the best features in the world, but if the price is too high (I'm hearing rumors of $60 - $80/month), I highly doubt many people will give it a chance. I live in Phoenix and most everyone I know already pays about $55-70/month just for the "cable" portion of their bill. You add on internet and services like HBO and Showtime and it gets much more pricey. I really hope Sony takes note of that because I don't see it being advantageous to leave having cable + internet and paying say $150/month to having ONLY internet tv (with data caps in place as well) and now having internet + PS Vue service and paying $130/month. You're paying a little less but you're also getting less as well on top of a possible issue with data caps if you watch A LOT of tv.
Just some things to keep in mind as we move forward into this new state of tv. We can all agree the cable companies are greedy monopolies and something new has to happen so we are not held captive by companies who usually offer sub-par service and overcharge for those services as well.
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #9 of 917 Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, question: How many "accounts" are allowed to use this service?

They announced that the pricing will be in tiers of $50/$60/$70; which on the face is a little bit cheap for those looking to cord cut, since cable bundling destroys the point.

But, is it going to be like Netflix or HBOGO, where I can give out my account to my parents, brother, and sister and all 4 of us can swap id's for different services and possibly chip in to bring down the cost?

I think that will be a huge consideration for many, and haven't seen much talk on it.
post #10 of 917 Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisII View Post
So, question: How many "accounts" are allowed to use this service?

They announced that the pricing will be in tiers of $50/$60/$70; which on the face is a little bit cheap for those looking to cord cut, since cable bundling destroys the point.

But, is it going to be like Netflix or HBOGO, where I can give out my account to my parents, brother, and sister and all 4 of us can swap id's for different services and possibly chip in to bring down the cost?

I think that will be a huge consideration for many, and haven't seen much talk on it.
If you could access the service with 2 devices at the same time, that would make this viable. if only 1 device at a time, then I'm not interested.

Nevermind. Found here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4.../1100-6426004/

Simultaneous streams per account 3 simultaneous, but only one PS4 at a time.

Only 1 PS4 stream at a time?

Last edited by metalsaber; 03-19-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #11 of 917 Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Too expensive. I can get everything I really want from a combination of my OTA DVR, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, supplemented with the odd TV season purchase for a LOT less money.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #12 of 917 Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Too expensive. I can get everything I really want from a combination of my OTA DVR, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, supplemented with the odd TV season purchase for a LOT less money.
I have NO clue what Sony was thinking. If they priced this a $35month (maybe $40 but that's pushing it) it would be a viable cord cutting option and competitor for Sling TV but at $50 that more or very close to what other people already pay. Why switch from a dedicated signal with NO loss in quality and NO hits on your data cap to something that is all streaming?
post #13 of 917 Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando4534 View Post
Why switch from a dedicated signal with NO loss in quality and NO hits on your data cap to something that is all streaming?
I wouldn't say cable is no loss in quality. Most of the MSO's have awful quality with tons of macroblocking and a low bitrate. This isn't a cord cutter service, it's a service in place of cable. You will never have a service that offers you true ala carte. It will always be a bundle of channels for a set price that will be competitive to traditional cable.

Costs for TV aren't going to go down, they will just keep going up.
post #14 of 917 Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
$50 is just a way to stop eroding subscriber fees from their EXISTING content deals-keep the price high for the NEW service which competes with and may soon reaplace the OLD business model.
Sony has a loooooooooong way to go to bring the ship back on course of many years of content ownership which caused them to stop providing the consumer what they want to PAY for.
post #15 of 917 Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
If you could access the service with 2 devices at the same time, that would make this viable. if only 1 device at a time, then I'm not interested.

Nevermind. Found here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4.../1100-6426004/

Simultaneous streams per account 3 simultaneous, but only one PS4 at a time.

Only 1 PS4 stream at a time?
I talked to a PS Vue CSR the other day and he said that there is also a limit of 2 PS3's per account as well, so in order to get 3 concurrent streams you would have to have 2 PS3's and 1 PS4 in your home. This was confirmed by a second CSR that I spoke with a couple days after the first.
post #16 of 917 Old 03-31-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I talked to a PS Vue CSR the other day and he said that there is also a limit of 2 PS3's per account as well, so in order to get 3 concurrent streams you would have to have 2 PS3's and 1 PS4 in your home. This was confirmed by a second CSR that I spoke with a couple days after the first.
Yeah. This seems pretty dumb.
post #17 of 917 Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Is it possible to see Episode 1 (Season 5) of the Walking Dead via VUE ?

Reason I ask, is because I've seen all of Season 4, but haven't seen any episodes of Season 5. If I could start with episode 1, and see all the episodes, I'd definitely sign up for Vue, but don't think this is possible.
post #18 of 917 Old 04-04-2015, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Limited On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Reason I ask, is because I've seen all of Season 4, but haven't seen any episodes of Season 5. If I could start with episode 1, and see all the episodes, I'd definitely sign up for Vue, but don't think this is possible.
No, you will not be able to watch episode 1 until AMC reruns it.

I decided to try the 7 day trial of Vue, but will be cancelling for a few reasons, but one of them pertains to your question. Vue does offer On Demand for some shows, but it is very limited. Their On Demand service for most shows are labeled as Catch Up, meaning they only offer the latest episode that has aired. For The Walking Dead, it doesn't even offer that. It does give you the option to record every airing of the show, but you will have to wait until AMC airs episode 1 again.

My second big complaint with Vue and the DVR service is that it doesn't allow time shifting. Sure, you can pause and rewind live tv, but if you want to avoid commercials, you have to wait until the show is over before you begin. If you have it set to record a movie and you go to watch it while it's still airing, it only takes you to the point it is at live.

Third complaint is that it just won't play over my wireless network. I have a PS4 in the living room wired to the router and it operates perfectly, but my PS3 in the bedroom is unwatchable as it buffers every 30 seconds and it connects at about 7.5 Mb/s which is no problem for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle or Vudu.

The biggest reason I will not be a subscriber is the price. For what you get, it isn't even close to worth it compared to the other options. $50, $60 or $70 per month depending on which channels you want is more than what I pay for basic cable plus HBO and the only channel it adds that I would want is AMC, and with Netflix carrying the Walking Dead, I don't even need that.
post #19 of 917 Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has Playstation Vue and can comment on quality. I am thinking of subscribing to Showtime only through this service to watch Homeland.
post #20 of 917 Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm shocked there is very little activity in this thread. I can see the main reservation is the price, but I think the features they are offering here is a good stepping stone for some cord cutters.

I currently have Uverse and pay over 130 a month for TV. That does include HBO, but we rarely use it. The kicker for my household is we have some tough requirements:

1. 3 total TVs in which 2 are often in use. We don't want to fight over who gets to use which streaming service at any given time.
2. Wife (and I) really like our DVR.
3. We like our local channels too, and on all three TVs.
4. I pretty much will do anything for AMC and the Walking dead. I am OK with 24 hour delay, but not 1 season delay.

We already have Amazon Prime, one PS4, and one Amazon Fire TV. If I sign up with the Core plan, Vue will also give me a free fire stick. So yeah for zero upfront costs to cut the cord.

I know the Vue service can only run on one PS4 at once, which works for me, but I still need to confirm if the Amazon fire TV and Stick will function as "PS3" in accordance with their number of device steaming policy.

This will save me 71 bucks per month with zero contract, and I view it as a easier transition from UVerse. If it doesn't work out, I figure I can then look into hulu, OTA antennas and Tablo or it's equivalent and likely save even more money. I did consider Sling, but with only one streamable device at a time with no DVR capabilities it doesn't seem like the right thing for us. I'll always have netflix on backup for the walking dead, or individual episodes via amazon prime in an emergency.

What am I missing?

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #21 of 917 Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnong View Post
Questions:

1) Will it only support one stream per subscription (like Dish's Sling TV)?
2) What is the price?
3) Any possibility Sony might change its mind and offer several smaller packages instead of just one large package?
4) When is the commercial launch?
I know this is an older post, but for the sake of future viewers to this thread I'll try to answer:

1. I've read it will support 3 active streams, but you can only use one PS4 at a time. The other two can be PS3s. This was before the announced support for Amazon Fire TV and Stick, so I'm not sure how those fit in but I am hoping they essentially count as PS3s.
2. Price currently per month is : Access @ 50, Core @ 55, Elite @ 65 (link)
3. See #2 , but 50 is a small as it gets
4. Vue has been released to many major metropolitan areas already, but is definitely not a nationwide service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Vue is a live TV service, not an on-demand service. It does have some extra DVR like functionality that makes it unique.
"MyShows" is a way to tag and save shows just like a traditional DVR. Pros: There is no limit on how many shows get recorded simultaneously or total number of hours in storage. Cons: shows are only kept for 28 days.
If you forgot to save a recording there is a "catch-up" option. It doesn't sound like it's automatically enabled for every show, but if enabled you can watch any shows you missed from the past 3 days. As a previous person said, it looks like you cannot fast forward through commercials when you choose this option. I need to see what other caveats there are here.

post #22 of 917 Old 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
I know this is an older post, but for the sake of future viewers to this thread I'll try to answer:

1. I've read it will support 3 active streams, but you can only use one PS4 at a time. The other two can be PS3s. This was before the announced support for Amazon Fire TV and Stick, so I'm not sure how those fit in but I am hoping they essentially count as PS3s.
2. Price currently per month is : Access @ 50, Core @ 55, Elite @ 65 (link)
3. See #2 , but 50 is a small as it gets
4. Vue has been released to many major metropolitan areas already, but is definitely not a nationwide service.

Vue is a live TV service, not an on-demand service. It does have some extra DVR like functionality that makes it unique.
"MyShows" is a way to tag and save shows just like a traditional DVR. Pros: There is no limit on how many shows get recorded simultaneously or total number of hours in storage. Cons: shows are only kept for 28 days.
If you forgot to save a recording there is a "catch-up" option. It doesn't sound like it's automatically enabled for every show, but if enabled you can watch any shows you missed from the past 3 days. As a previous person said, it looks like you cannot fast forward through commercials when you choose this option. I need to see what other caveats there are here.
I may have missed it but I haven't seen any comments on the video quality. How does it do with fast moving sports for instance?

Jack
post #23 of 917 Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I may have missed it but I haven't seen any comments on the video quality. How does it do with fast moving sports for instance?
I'm actually quite surprised at the video quality I am getting with Vue on my new FireTV. I watched Life in Pieces with my wife the other night and was shocked at how "3D" it looked with depth, clarity and detail! I think in many ways its better than my TWC that I also have, especially with motion with TWC which causes it to break into tiny MPEG blocks. It was very noticeable on the NFL Network. This is one of the reasons I am trying out DirecTV and Vue as well. Another advantage of Vue that I noticed is that some of the channels are in HD on Vue and not on the others.

I'm also getting MUCH better internet speeds using the hard wired ethernet on my FireTV than the same ethernet on my PS3, resulting in a substantially better image quality on the FTV. With my VPN, It doesn't appear to adhere to the same rules as the PS3/4 do in that it only seems to validate your IP's location and then it streams the video and GUI directly from the net, instead of through the slower VPN tunnel. For comparison, for some reason my FireTV Stick using WiFi totally sucks and won't stay connected. The FireTV box that offers a hard wired ethernet port is a MUCH better option for Vue.

To answer your question, I have watched some of the football games last weekend and most of a hockey game with Vue on FTV and it was as good or better than my cable feed. One thing I did notice is if I hit pause for a few seconds it would seem to buffer it some, resulting in a more stable and good looking picture.

I'm quite impressed really, and liking this service the more and more I use it, and this is coming from someone that has a DTV Genie H44 w/ HDD kit and a TiVo Bolt on TWC. I like that you just hit a button to save every episode of a show and don't have to worry about any conflicts at all, unlike being limited to how many tuners you have on the other DVR solutions. The 28 day rule doesn't apply to me because if I haven't watched it by then, I probably won't and if I REALLY wanted to I would just find it on-demand somewhere.

Any word on when the ABC owned channels will show up on Vue? I am also very shocked that Vue hasn't gotten more attention on AVS Forum. I think this service is groundbreaking and head and shoulders above SlingTV (unless all you care about is poor picture reliability and quality and saving a few Washingtons/month)!
post #24 of 917 Old 01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I'm actually quite surprised at the video quality I am getting with Vue on my new FireTV. I watched Life in Pieces with my wife the other night and was shocked at how "3D" it looked with depth, clarity and detail! I think in many ways its better than my TWC that I also have, especially with motion with TWC which causes it to break into tiny MPEG blocks. It was very noticeable on the NFL Network. This is one of the reasons I am trying out DirecTV and Vue as well. Another advantage of Vue that I noticed is that some of the channels are in HD on Vue and not on the others.

I'm also getting MUCH better internet speeds using the hard wired ethernet on my FireTV than the same ethernet on my PS3, resulting in a substantially better image quality on the FTV. With my VPN, It doesn't appear to adhere to the same rules as the PS3/4 do in that it only seems to validate your IP's location and then it streams the video and GUI directly from the net, instead of through the slower VPN tunnel. For comparison, for some reason my FireTV Stick using WiFi totally sucks and won't stay connected. The FireTV box that offers a hard wired ethernet port is a MUCH better option for Vue.

To answer your question, I have watched some of the football games last weekend and most of a hockey game with Vue on FTV and it was as good or better than my cable feed. One thing I did notice is if I hit pause for a few seconds it would seem to buffer it some, resulting in a more stable and good looking picture.

I'm quite impressed really, and liking this service the more and more I use it, and this is coming from someone that has a DTV Genie H44 w/ HDD kit and a TiVo Bolt on TWC. I like that you just hit a button to save every episode of a show and don't have to worry about any conflicts at all, unlike being limited to how many tuners you have on the other DVR solutions. The 28 day rule doesn't apply to me because if I haven't watched it by then, I probably won't and if I REALLY wanted to I would just find it on-demand somewhere.

Any word on when the ABC owned channels will show up on Vue? I am also very shocked that Vue hasn't gotten more attention on AVS Forum. I think this service is groundbreaking and head and shoulders above SlingTV (unless all you care about is poor picture reliability and quality and saving a few Washingtons/month)!
Thanks for that very complete reply. I also have an Genie H44 which I use mostly for all the major sports. My mixture is Golf Channel, major nets for football, and fox sports channels for hockey and baseball using MLB and NHL Center Ice. I've considered the streaming video versions of MLB and CI but have been told they are around 30-50 fps, which results in choppy motion. If Vue fixes this and it becomes available in my area then it looks like a great option. L'm tired of paying over $160 every month for my TV.
Dave Harper likes this.

Jack
post #25 of 917 Old 01-22-2016, 10:34 PM

I've been on Vue for about 3 weeks now. I am using 2 Fire TV's , and occasionally use a Ipad or PS4 to watch too. My thoughts:

Pros:
Full full channel guide on PS4 is nice.
Amazon Fire TV's work well. Image quality is great, and I'm on WIFI n-band currently. (I will be switching to wired as soon as my Uverse subscription ends next week).
DVR fast forward/ pause functionality is pretty responsive for a cloud service. Getting it going to 4x or 8x speed takes a second, but it gets back to streaming video very quickly after hitting play.
You can have multiple users on your account. Each with their own "my shows". I no longer have to dig through Kardashian or Housewives from wherever shows my wife watches. I still have to sit with her on the couch when she watches said programs though.

Cons:
No channel guides on non-playstation devices, yet. Though they claim it's coming.
Still waiting on ABC to arrive. ESPN too for those who want sports (I don't care).
Several programs have been blocked from live TV watching because the host channel did not allow Vue to stream it. You get a "program not available" message instead of the program you wanted to watch. I haven't encountered it much, but fear I may have just been lucky. Programs blocked this far: Golden globe awards. The Walking Dead re-runs on some random channel. I *think* the DVR/MyShows feature will work around this to let you watch it later, but I haven't confirmed either way.
I would like a little more finesse in the DVR. When fast-fowarding with a local Uverse DVR, it recognizes that you may not have split second reaction time. It actually backs you up a little bit from the last fast forward image displayed which is nice. With Vue, it starts playing from exactly when you hit the play button which means you frequently have to backup a few seconds to catch the start of the scene.
No more universal remote! You'll need to find your TV remote and keep that handy in addition to your Playstation or Fire TV controller. Amazon Fire TV does have a phone app that works very well!

Overall Thoughts:
1.You can't ding the service for not being in your area. I can't say google gigabit fiber sucks because they aren't in my area either.
2. The cost may not make financial sense to everybody, but my situation the Vue is 33% of what I was paying before!
3. It's a great stepping stone to more ala carte services. Going straight to Hulu and Netflix with OTA local channels with Tablo DVR only for local channels would have probably been too much for my wife. Happy Wife Factor is high with Vue. She wants quick and easy and familair, without fussing with launching and searching multiple apps.

I'd give it a 3.7/5

post #26 of 917 Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
I've been on Vue for about 3 weeks now. I am using 2 Fire TV's , and occasionally use a Ipad or PS4 to watch too. My thoughts:

Pros:
Full full channel guide on PS4 is nice.
Amazon Fire TV's work well. Image quality is great, and I'm on WIFI n-band currently. (I will be switching to wired as soon as my Uverse subscription ends next week).
DVR fast forward/ pause functionality is pretty responsive for a cloud service. Getting it going to 4x or 8x speed takes a second, but it gets back to streaming video very quickly after hitting play.
You can have multiple users on your account. Each with their own "my shows". I no longer have to dig through Kardashian or Housewives from wherever shows my wife watches. I still have to sit with her on the couch when she watches said programs though.

Cons:
No channel guides on non-playstation devices, yet. Though they claim it's coming.
Still waiting on ABC to arrive. ESPN too for those who want sports (I don't care).
Several programs have been blocked from live TV watching because the host channel did not allow Vue to stream it. You get a "program not available" message instead of the program you wanted to watch. I haven't encountered it much, but fear I may have just been lucky. Programs blocked this far: Golden globe awards. The Walking Dead re-runs on some random channel. I *think* the DVR/MyShows feature will work around this to let you watch it later, but I haven't confirmed either way.
I would like a little more finesse in the DVR. When fast-fowarding with a local Uverse DVR, it recognizes that you may not have split second reaction time. It actually backs you up a little bit from the last fast forward image displayed which is nice. With Vue, it starts playing from exactly when you hit the play button which means you frequently have to backup a few seconds to catch the start of the scene.
No more universal remote! You'll need to find your TV remote and keep that handy in addition to your Playstation or Fire TV controller. Amazon Fire TV does have a phone app that works very well!

Overall Thoughts:
1.You can't ding the service for not being in your area. I can't say google gigabit fiber sucks because they aren't in my area either.
2. The cost may not make financial sense to everybody, but my situation the Vue is 33% of what I was paying before!
3. It's a great stepping stone to more ala carte services. Going straight to Hulu and Netflix with OTA local channels with Tablo DVR only for local channels would have probably been too much for my wife. Happy Wife Factor is high with Vue. She wants quick and easy and familair, without fussing with launching and searching multiple apps.

I'd give it a 3.7/5
Guide is now available on the FireTV so this is starting to become my de facto service for my "cable" TV needs. I'm astonished how good this service is becoming as each day passes. I have even knocked down my DirecTV and TWC services as low as I can go to migrate exclusively to Vue. The only thing holding back going to 100% Vue is the lack of ABC/Disney/ESPN. My third FireTV is scheduled to arrive today so I'll be ready to go to use it as my primary source. I will keep my TiVo Bolt though, as a means to view and record my local networks in HD, which is 80% of what we watch actually. I'll use the FireTVs for streaming apps and Vue for Philly sports and cable type shows. It's just awesome that I can buy $85 (on sale at Amazon and BB) boxes and use them all over the house for live TV and OTT/VoD/On-Demand with only a small $65/month charge plus whatever streaming apps you decide on (which I had anyway with cable and sat). This is what I've been searching for since I moved here! If they ever get to TiVo level trick play and interaction I'd be in Heaven!

I'm starting to think there's some conspiracy going on with Vue to keep it down. If you haven't tried it for awhile, I suggest you try it again, especially on FireTV and/or PS4.
post #27 of 917 Old 02-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Yeah, it's been almost 4 months since Sony announced that ABC was going to be a partner. I wish they would get with it already. My wife was a little upset at missing the Oscar's last night.

post #28 of 917 Old 03-01-2016, 10:28 AM

Some ABC shows are being discovered in various "on-demand" capacities. We're either being trolled or integration is near!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vue/comment...weeks_scandal/

post #29 of 917 Old 03-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Pretty cool, thanks for the heads up!
post #30 of 917 Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM