1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tlhfirelion
post #1 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Redoing my DSL wiring in my house.

Hey folks. Not sure if I have the right forum but it seemed like the best fit. Mods, please direct me elsewhere if this isn't the right catagory or even the right forum. Thank you.

My house has a mess of old copper phone wire running all over the place and we've not used it in years for anything but DSL. It's got all kinds of splices sealed with electrical tape, splitters, etc, I want it gone. We live in the country so the best we can get is DSL which is fine since we don't game, or anything data heavy. I'm sick of the wires and some mice have gotten into the crawl space and damaged some wires. The mouse problem has been dealt with but I want to just rip it all out and run a line for the wireless router and maybe one jack for a hard line connection. I'm decently handy but am not up on phone or data. It seems simple enough but I'm here for advice.

The phone line comes from the street and hits the box on the outside of the house. (Plz see pic).

I assume I just run a wire from this box to the data plate wherever I want to put it in the house and there's my router connection?

What I havent a clue on is what type of wire to use. I've read online to use CAT 6 which is fine, the run I am planning is only about 30' so no big deal. Is that a waste and should I just use new copper phone wire?

Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	486698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Given the run is only 30' and you live in the country there is no benefit to CAT6 over regular 2-pair phone wire. If you have high levels of ambient RF (radio frequency) noise, or wire runs of say 100ft you would see a benefit from using ethernet cable.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion View Post
Hey folks. Not sure if I have the right forum but it seemed like the best fit. Mods, please direct me elsewhere if this isn't the right catagory or even the right forum. Thank you.

My house has a mess of old copper phone wire running all over the place and we've not used it in years for anything but DSL. It's got all kinds of splices sealed with electrical tape, splitters, etc, I want it gone. We live in the country so the best we can get is DSL which is fine since we don't game, or anything data heavy. I'm sick of the wires and some mice have gotten into the crawl space and damaged some wires. The mouse problem has been dealt with but I want to just rip it all out and run a line for the wireless router and maybe one jack for a hard line connection. I'm decently handy but am not up on phone or data. It seems simple enough but I'm here for advice.

The phone line comes from the street and hits the box on the outside of the house. (Plz see pic).

I assume I just run a wire from this box to the data plate wherever I want to put it in the house and there's my router connection?

What I havent a clue on is what type of wire to use. I've read online to use CAT 6 which is fine, the run I am planning is only about 30' so no big deal. Is that a waste and should I just use new copper phone wire?

For 30' don't bother with the cat 5.

Just use the copper wire and you will be fine. That's a 2 pair going into your POE (point of entry).

If color code is followed the tech would use red/green for 1st line
and black / yellow is used for a 2nd line .

Sometimes color code isn't followed if one wire has trouble ..say a ground on it. So the tech would use the black or yellow to fix line 1 if there was no 2nd line.

Anyway...buy some quad (2 pair copper wire) and use red and green from the POE to jack . Wire it up in jack or back of jack if it's a wall plate jack.

If you use a jack there will be 4 wires in there with same color code. Just match the red with red and green with green . Skin wire back to expose the copper and wrap under screw then screw them down..

If it's a wall plate do the same . Some wall plates only have screws with no color code. So just wire it to first line in wall plate . They might be numbered 1 ..2...3...4.

So wire red and green to 1 and 3 or it might be 1 and 2.

Then just plug in your modular cord to jack and out to whatever you are using it for.

Make sure your copper wires don't touch each other ,otherwise you will short it out creating a busy signal.

Polarity doesn't have to be followed ,but It's always good to follow the color code ..makes it easier to trouble shoot later on .

Check youtube for video on how to wire landline phonejack.

Goodluck

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector

Last edited by Blue Rain; 01-18-2015 at 07:00 PM.
post #4 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

PS: If you do have RF (radio frequency) noise you can buy a radio suppressor and install it the same way you would a jack. Most RF (radio frequency) noise is caused by damaged (exposed copper ) outside bridle (that's the wire from pole to your house and it's usually black.

Or call phone company to run new bridle. Sometimes the tech will just install a radio suppressor. If possible insist on a new bridle run. No cost to you as it's an outside problem and before the Demarcation and not your problem.

Run the 2 pr to jack and worry about RF noise later.

I assume you have telephones poles being you live in the country.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #5 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick replies guys. Just to try and paint a better picture, the lines are not on poles until a ways down the road. They are underground on my street. This box is on the far side of my driveway. It goes underground about 40-50' then up into the box that then enters the crawl space and heads every which way.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	486866  
post #6 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Other pic didn't attach
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	486890  
post #7 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufVidyZen View Post
Given the run is only 30' and you live in the country there is no benefit to CAT6 over regular 2-pair phone wire. If you have high levels of ambient RF (radio frequency) noise, or wire runs of say 100ft you would see a benefit from using ethernet cable.
How would I know/determine if I have high levels of ambient noise? I live close to a cell phone antenna (which, Ironically, doesn't help my cell reception at all lol)

If I decided to run a hard line into my basement it would be about 75-80' run but that would be for an Ethernet jack at a desk.

I've not priced this stuff so I have no idea if I'm in for sticker shock or not.

Thank you for your reply.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Great reply, thank you. Seems pretty straight forward. Now, I want to clarify something. On the lid of the POE box in the pic I showed, there is writing on the underside of the lid that says "this uses a 30 amp breaker". Seeing as how I'm not a fan of getting bit, what do I need to do, if anything, to do this safely? There is nothing marked "phone" or the like in my breaker box.

I'll look for that video on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
For 30' don't bother with the cat 5.

Just use the copper wire and you will be fine. That's a 2 pair going into your POE (point of entry).

If color code is followed the tech would use red/green for 1st line
and black / yellow is used for a 2nd line .

Sometimes color code isn't followed if one wire has trouble ..say a ground on it. So the tech would use the black or yellow to fix line 1 if there was no 2nd line.

Anyway...buy some quad (2 pair copper wire) and use red and green from the POE to jack . Wire it up in jack or back of jack if it's a wall plate jack.

If you use a jack there will be 4 wires in there with same color code. Just match the red with red and green with green . Skin wire back to expose the copper and wrap under screw then screw them down..

If it's a wall plate do the same . Some wall plates only have screws with no color code. So just wire it to first line in wall plate . They might be numbered 1 ..2...3...4.

So wire red and green to 1 and 3 or it might be 1 and 2.

Then just plug in your modular cord to jack and out to whatever you are using it for.

Make sure your copper wires don't touch each other ,otherwise you will short it out creating a busy signal.

Polarity doesn't have to be followed ,but It's always good to follow the color code ..makes it easier to trouble shoot later on .

Check youtube for video on how to wire landline phonejack.

Goodluck
post #9 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
PS: If you do have RF (radio frequency) noise you can buy a radio suppressor and install it the same way you would a jack. Most RF (radio frequency) noise is caused by damaged (exposed copper ) outside bridle (that's the wire from pole to your house and it's usually black.

Or call phone company to run new bridle. Sometimes the tech will just install a radio suppressor. If possible insist on a new bridle run. No cost to you as it's an outside problem and before the Demarcation and not your problem.

Run the 2 pr to jack and worry about RF noise later.

I assume you have telephones poles being you live in the country.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a bridle run? Is that where it comes from the street to my house POE?
post #10 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but what is a bridle run? Is that where it comes from the street to my house POE?
Well from what you wrote the outside bridle ( tech lingo ) wire from pole doesn't go straight to your POE ..it goes underground then to your POE.

Just ignore all that for now because you don't need to understand this part.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #11 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your first picture with box open. That modular cord that's plugged in,,, it's for the techs to test the dial tone to see if dial tone is making it to your POE. What they do is uplug that and plug in their test phone . If dial tone is there, they now know the trouble is going towards or into your house. If DT wasn't there the tech would know to look for the trouble outside your house. So don't bother touching that if you know your DT is good.

Phone DT is only 48volts and won't harm you. If someone calls in while you are touching copper of phone wires it will be such a mild shock so don't panic. No calls coming in and nothing will happen.

Now,,look at your first picture..on the upper right there's a black rubber insert.Look on the side of it and tell me if the telephone wires are coming out of it.

They should be, but just take a good look and see where they go. Normally they would be going into your house somewhere.

I need this info before going any further and do not unlock that funny nut below. You would need a special tool to open it ,but it's easy to open with a pliers.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008

Last edited by Blue Rain; 01-18-2015 at 08:02 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well from what you wrote the outside bridle ( tech lingo ) wire from pole doesn't go straight to your POE ..it goes underground then to your POE.

Just ignore all that for now because you don't need to understand this part.
Ok. Thanks.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your first picture with box open. That modular cord that's plugged in,,, it's for the techs to test the dial tone to see if dial tone is making it to your POE. What they do is uplug that and plug in their test phone . If dial tone is there, they now know the trouble is going towards or into your house. If DT wasn't there the tech would know to look for the trouble outside your house. So don't bother touching that if you know your DT is good.

Phone DT is only 48volts and won't harm you. If someone calls in while you are touching copper of phone wires it will be such a mild shock so don't panic. No calls coming in and nothing will happen.

Now,,look at your first picture..on the upper right there's a black rubber insert.Look on the side of it and tell me if the telephone wires are coming out of it.

They should be, but just take a good look and see where they go. Normally they would be going into your house somewhere.

I need this info before going any further and do not unlock that funny nut below. You would need a special tool to open it ,but it's easy to open with a pliers.
Great info! Thank you. It may be tomorrow night before I can get to searching out the line but I'll report back. Thanks again.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-20-2015, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great info! Thank you. It may be tomorrow night before I can get to searching out the line but I'll report back. Thanks again.
Ok so I've been crawling around my crawl space. Snapped a few pics. The line that is seen connected to the outside box (my first post and first pic) it comes I to my crawl space thru a tiny hole. It then heads over to the kitchen and up to a splice in the back of the cabinet, then back down into the crawlspace again to head over to a back bedroom and a little junction box of some kind, then off to another room to another electrical tape splice, then back towards the front where it comes up to the router. It's a dadgum mess. Lol. Must be 200-300 feet of old wire. I'll include pics below.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	24
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	490938  
post #15 of 27 Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not able to attach mor pe than one pic at a time. They're not too big just won't let me attach more than one.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	24
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	490954  
post #16 of 27 Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

As far as running two lines to two spots in the house, would I use a splitter like seen below in the crawlspace or do I do that in the conditioned portion of the basement and then Split it off? The one connection in the basement will be a wall plate and the. The one upstairs will be a router connection. In my head I see a splinter in my mechanical room that then has two short runs to the two end points.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	21
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	490986  
post #17 of 27 Old 01-20-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Will this wire work for what I am wanting to do? I assume since I'm only running DSL and I'm shortening the run by a large margin with new wire, I should be getting all I can speed wise?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	29
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	491002  
post #18 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That wire is fine. Better to keep connection inside when possible, but splitting in crawlspace is fine. You can split and run a star configuration, or daisy-chain from one endpoint to the next.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. What is a star configuration?
post #20 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What is a star configuration?

Star configuration is having all cable runs to end points start from one central point. Daisy chain is running to a terminal point, then continuing from there to the next terminal point.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 01-21-2015 at 08:20 AM.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as running two lines to two spots in the house, would I use a splitter like seen below in the crawlspace or do I do that in the conditioned portion of the basement and then Split it off? The one connection in the basement will be a wall plate and the. The one upstairs will be a router connection. In my head I see a splinter in my mechanical room that then has two short runs to the two end points.
Your internal wiring is the type of job a tech would call a bomb if it was a repair and you had a maintenance plan.....lol

First..

Rip out all the old wiring from POE that was going into your house and of course all old wiring in house .

Plan out your new wire run from POE to first jack and then continue with the same wire to 2nd jack for router. Try to make it easy for yourself. Also try to keep it 12" from any electrical wires.

Once you figured out how you are going to run it follow instructions below.

Connect 2 pairs of the new wire to the POE dial tone. One pair for phone and one pair will be for the router. Dial tone will now be on 2 pairs (4 wires) instead of one pair.

Then run new wire from POE to where the first jack will be. Skin wire sheathing at first jack and only connect the first pair of wires for phone. Do not cut 2 pair of wires.

Then continue with that same wire and run it to where the router will be and connect that 2nd pair to the jack. Now you only need a small length of modular wire from jack to router.

If that spool of wire is a 3 pair or 4 pair that's a good thing. Because if one of the wires in the pairs (or entire pair) you are using gets damaged it will be an easy fix. All you would have to do is undo the bad wire from POE and jack and just wire up the extra wire or pair in the same place at POE and jack.

You really don't need the splitter unless you want another phone or router connected at each jack.

Don't forget to use the filter for the jack that goes to phone. I don't know what type filter you have .

Post a picture of filter .

Who's your land line provider ?

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008

Last edited by Blue Rain; 02-02-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Star configuration is having all cable runs to end points start from one central point. Daisy chain is running to a terminal point, then continuing from there to the next terminal point.

Thank you for the clarification
post #23 of 27 Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

You laid it out like I'm an idiot, and I appreciate that. lol

Couple questions.

1) I do not have phone, only Data. You mentioned phone a few times so I wanted to clarify that in case that would change your direction.

2) Do I wire up the 4 wires in the new quad wire I will purchase like it is currently wired up at the POE?

3) I do not have a filter for our modem/router in our home.

Thanks for the assistance!

Quote:
Your internal wiring is the type of job a tech would call a bomb if it was a repair and you had a maintenance plan.....lol

First..

Rip out all the old wiring from POE that was going into your house and of course all old wiring in house .

Plan out your new wire run from POE to first jack and then continue with the same wire to 2nd jack for router. Try to make it easy for yourself. Also try to keep it 12" from any electrical wires.

Once you figured out how you are going to run it follow instructions below.

Connect 2 pairs of the new wire to the POE dial tone. One pair for phone and one pair will be for the router. Dial tone will now be on 2 pairs (4 wires) instead of one pair.

Then run new wire from POE to where the first jack will be. Skin wire sheathing at first jack and only connect the first pair of wires for phone. Do not cut 2 pair of wires.

Then continue with that same wire and run it to where the router will be and connect that 2nd pair to the jack. Now you only need a small length of modular wire from jack to router.

If that spool of wire is a 3 pair or 4 pair that's a good thing. Because if one of the wires in the pairs (or entire pair) you are using gets damaged it will be an easy fix. All you would have to do is undo the bad wire from POE and jack and just wire up the extra wire or pair in the same place at POE and jack.

You really don't need the splitter unless you want another phone or router connected at each jack.

Don't forget to use the filter for the jack that goes to router. I don't know what type filter you have .

Post a picture of filter .

Who's your land line provider ?
post #24 of 27 Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You laid it out like I'm an idiot, and I appreciate that. lol

Couple questions.

1) I do not have phone, only Data. You mentioned phone a few times so I wanted to clarify that in case that would change your direction.

2) Do I wire up the 4 wires in the new quad wire I will purchase like it is currently wired up at the POE?

3) I do not have a filter for our modem/router in our home.

Thanks for the assistance!
Sorry..I been away and didn't mean to make you out as an idiot. I just wanted to be clear and concise and make it as easy as possible for you so you would understand.

1) Still wire it the same way that I mentioned in previous post. Take a picture of old wires in POE before removing them so you know where to put the new wires.

2) Yes , connect the wires to the same spot where the old wires are in the POE.

3) Filter doesn't go on modem or router. It goes on jack if you had a phone line. So ignore the filter part being you don't have a phone land line.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #25 of 27 Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry..I been away and didn't mean to make you out as an idiot. I just wanted to be clear and concise and make it as easy as possible for you so you would understand.

1) Still wire it the same way that I mentioned in previous post. Take a picture of old wires in POE before removing them so you know where to put the new wires.

2) Yes , connect the wires to the same spot where the old wires are in the POE.

3) Filter doesn't go on modem or router. It goes on jack if you had a phone line. So ignore the filter part being you don't have a phone land line.
No worries man, I was kidding and I actually do appreciate you breaking it down to absurdly simple terms. I'm decently handy but know very little about electrical and date/phone wiring. Just never had reason to mess with it until now.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!
Blue Rain likes this.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No worries man, I was kidding and I actually do appreciate you breaking it down to absurdly simple terms. I'm decently handy but know very little about electrical and date/phone wiring. Just never had reason to mess with it until now.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

No problem

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #27 of 27 Unread Today, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Brain fart. I got to wiring everything up and misread your instructions so I would ask if what I did will work or cause any issues. Instead of running from the POE to the basement hard connection, and then back up to the router jack, I ran two lines. One to the basement jack and one to the router wall jack so they each have their own line from the POE. Is this an issue?

Also, the way the electrical lines in my crawlspace go, I can't give a 12" space. They are in solid metal conduit and run across my data lines twice. Will this cause an issue?

Thanks again for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page