AVS Forum banner

*OFFICIAL*POPCORN HOUR VTEN:The World First 4K Ultra HD network media player

112K views 1K replies 136 participants last post by  ricobelo 
#1 · (Edited)
Woohoo...
So happy to receive the newsletter by Cloud Media today.
They are finally announced their latest Popcorn Hour product line : POPCORN HOUR VTEN

The Popcorn Hour VTEN –The World First 4K Ultra HD network media player by Sigma Design SoC

Let's me share some photo from their newsletter here.

The VTEN is powered by Sigma Design SMP8757 32bit ARM Cortex SOC with VXP video processing. Supported by 1024MB DDR3 RAM, the VTEN is a true performer.

High Quality Fanless, Aluminium Body. Absolutely silence operation

See less See more
#4 ·
They removed reference to it on all models. I think the battle that stopped US sales was with Dolby so might just be from that.

So I wonder if this have the potential picture quality wise to be better than the Zappiti 4k player? Would have been nice if it had the ability to use Xbmc as well as the NMJ. Who is pre ordering? WirelessHD :)
I am trying to get one ordered.

#9 ·
lollllllll

Do I have a reputation to order EVERY new media player that looks great on paper ? :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously having now :

1)a 100 % working VidOn box
2)a 100 % working Western Digital Live Tv box
3)a 50 % working EWEAT 4K box( XBMC not working with network play and BDMV files + WMA, WMA PRO, DIVIX not playing with the player )
4)a 0 % working Zappiti 4k player that is not shipped yet ( need new firmware update for XBMC Network play and Realtek patch for WMA, WMA PRO, DIVIX )

I will wait until a new TRUE 4K machine ( support for 4k with bitrate playback of 120 mbps ) with all the functionalities of XBMC, plus BD MENU support !

;)

#7 ·
This has my interest but I am less clear on where I could get content for it....

#17 ·
I am dying on seeing what you early adopters think of the Zapitti player. My Dune Base 3 is getting long in the tooth. Hopefully it doesn't fail before a true 4k winner emerges.

#20 ·
I am not as worried about it being Realtek per se as I am running into the usual "alpha/beta" issues that will undoubtedly come along with this and new firmware. I would have the same exact concerns with the new Sigma chip that will be in the VTEN (especially when factoring in experience with previous Syabas media player releases)

#21 · (Edited)
Sigma is just as turnkey as realtek now. So its going to depend on which chipset maker does the most fixes and at a good rate. Cloudmedia/syabas and zappiti are at the mercy of the chipset maker.

As I have said the last good players the dune prime and the 200 series of syabas was the last generation that offered full access to the sdk where they could fix bugs on there own. When then dune tv model and the syabas 300 series came out sigma stopped giving full sdk access and with this more bug that only sigma could fix. From information I have been told sigma does not even give access to things like subtitle handling to fix basic font items anymore without them changing it.

My expectations for the zappitit player is it will handle just like all the other 1195 based players but at a high premium. My expectation for the vten is it will be an alpha product like usual. So will depend how committed sigma is to making it right

#25 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what the VXP brings to the table? If I remember correctly the A-400 has it and it was supposed to implement several post processing items but only a couple were enabled. Also looks like the first batch is ready to ship. Next batch ships Feb 13th.

Also seems like a reseller is doing some testing. Looks like typical work in progress player.

http://networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=72056

#27 ·
If you want that then buy an actual computer, for the content upcoming in the next year or so there will most likely not be a need for it (no 4:4:4 content). The 4k@60 4:4:4 is mostly looked for by those using devices as PC monitors etc, this is a media device and should meet the needs of most of the upcoming content....

#36 ·
No, haven't been keeping up with the players out there, the only other 1195 player I heard of was the upcoming Xtreamer (Which I am not going near). I am a big fan of the Zappiti UI (that is what I have been using for a while now via Dune) so that is a big part of what I will be looking at as I believe their new Media Center v4 will be released alongside.

#38 ·
lol, my head is not in the media player game much anymore. Even if I wanted to pick up a ton of different devices to test out (which I would do in the past) I have no idea where I would find the time to do so :mad: I have had an issue with my server for over a year and instead of fixing I just restart whenever it BSODs!

#41 ·
Thats that big wonder. Zapitti commented they were waiting on realtek for HD audio so all 1195 players were waiting on like 12/16 it was said realtek completed talks with DTS. Not sure if that means it went live or not. Last firmware for the m195 i think was 12/12 so before that information was spoke

#55 ·
It feels like we are back in the past where getting 23.976 and HD audio bitstreaming was considered an accomplishment!

VTEN should be here by the end of the week hopefully. Only had a few minutes with the Zappiti. Can't get playback to work over the network using the XBMC app (I think someone else mentioned that to be an issue). Also, didn't get a chance to test out the Zappiti software. You need Zappiti MC v4 which is still not available yet for PC/MAC. You can set up doing the cloud version which I guess I can test out, but really the cloud version doesn't matter to me when my server is on 24/7 anyhow.

#57 ·
3d uhd

Regarding 3D 4K (actually commercial format is called Ultra HD) - 3D is not dead, it's just that there are no too many displays that could properly reproduce 3D content in full UHD. Plasma is dead, LCD is nowhere near true 120 fps and OLED i just to expensive for mass market. The only way UHDTV LCD would render 3D is through use of polarization which effectively halves vertical resolution.

Seeing that vres would be 1080p anyway, and having in mind that consumers would either have to watch their 4k screens from a distance of less then 2 feet to notice any difference, or have a humongous screen for that matter (highly unlikely anytime soon), it would be ridiculous trying to push 3D 4K BD standard right away.

Back to topic, I'm very interested in VTEN's PQ and how it compares to Zappiti 4k player. There is also a matter of down-scaling 4k to 1080p, but it's probably to early to comment on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.