Adding separate amp to Sonos Connect? Do I need a preamp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding separate amp to Sonos Connect? Do I need a preamp?

Hello,

Long story short - I love the Sonos interface and concept, and I hate the sound and price of the speakers.

If I were to get the Connect (non amp), add a separate 2 Channel Amplifier, and speakers, would I need a separate pre-amp also?

And I know it will come up so - Reason why I wouldn't prefer the Sonos Connect Amp is mainly price.
(I can get a quality 2 channel, higher power amp for $120 which still saves me $ over the Connect amp at $500.)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytca View Post
Hello,

Long story short - I love the Sonos interface and concept, and I hate the sound and price of the speakers.

If I were to get the Connect (non amp), add a separate 2 Channel Amplifier, and speakers, would I need a separate pre-amp also?

And I know it will come up so - Reason why I wouldn't prefer the Sonos Connect Amp is mainly price.
(I can get a quality 2 channel, higher power amp for $120 which still saves me $ over the Connect amp at $500.)

Thank you!
No just an integrated amp. It probably will drive a standalone power amp as well if you want.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattytca View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
No you do not need a separate pre-amp. I have a Sonos Connect and have it connected to my Denon AVR-X2000 in my home theater connected with the optical cable. I also have the same Connect wired with coaxial to my family room to an Onkyo TX-SR606 which allows me to play the same audio in both rooms.
There is also a setting to change whether Sonos will compress music or to leave it uncompressed in the settings.
I do have a Connect-Amp as well to power a pair of Polk Audio Outdoor speakers which I use for the convenience of being able to control the volume through the Sonos app on my phone.

Theater: Epson 8350 projector, 106" Carada Screen, Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver, SageTV HD300, Dune HD Smart D1, XBOX 360, Wii, Sonos Connect. Polk Audio TSI 300 front left and right, TSI 100 back surrounds, CS10 Center channel, PSW110 subwoofer.
Media Server: Windows 7 home edition, Flexraid 17TB, Ceton Infinitv 4 WMC, (2) Hauppauge 2250 OTA tuner cards using SageTV.
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm with you, I felt that I could do better buying a separate amplifier.

I recently demoed a Sonos Connect feeding a Parasound Zamp v.3 amplifier on my desk, before installing it into a permanent, "built in" rack in the basement. In a word, loved it and am thinking about buying another to recreate the setup as a mini system for the office.

My computer was setup as a Line-In device, and I selected the Sonos to have Line In override what music it's playing -- so any beeps or noises from the computer (or music, or videos) have priority. Worked great.

So short answer -- yes, the Sonos Connect can act like a preamp -- it has volume control and the ability to select one other input device besides itself -- and it can drive a power amplifier, or an integrated amplifier. Go for it, if you haven't already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page