Current gold standard in quality & stability streaming high bitrate local content? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brajesh
post #1 of 14 Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Current gold standard in quality & stability streaming high bitrate local content?

What is the current gold standard when it comes to streaming Bluray remuxes with DTS HD-MA on a dedicated box which doesn't break the bank? Both quality and lack of issues with streaming, as well as stability of the platform itself.

I've been running Ouya for a while with XBMC streaming from an unRAID server on LAN, and while it plays well almost everything I throw at it, it's not the most stable platform, and am looking for other options if upgrading to Kodi doesn't fix the issues I have (occasional stutter, loud subwoofer clicks, crashes, garbled video after some point in a movie).

Pi 2 looks promising, though I'm not sure how easy it is to setup IR with FLIRC. Although I'm fond of XBMC/Kodi, I'm open for other suggestions; I've heard Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast might also be viable options, as long as I don't have to buy into their services (not available over here, and I don't trust them with my data anyway).

Last edited by jouko342; 02-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mede8er has three X3D models.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you don't need 3D, Chromebox with OpenELEC!
Willie and mrfattbill like this.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 14 Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 View Post
What is the current gold standard when it comes to streaming Bluray remuxes with DTS HD-MA on a dedicated box which doesn't break the bank? Both quality and lack of issues with streaming, as well as stability of the platform itself.

I've been running Ouya for a while with XBMC streaming from an unRAID server on LAN, and while it plays well almost everything I throw at it, it's not the most stable platform, and am looking for other options if upgrading to Kodi doesn't fix the issues I have (occasional stutter, loud subwoofer clicks, crashes, garbled video after some point in a movie).

Pi 2 looks promising, though I'm not sure how easy it is to setup IR with FLIRC. Although I'm fond of XBMC/Kodi, I'm open for other suggestions; I've heard Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast might also be viable options, as long as I don't have to buy into their services (not available over here, and I don't trust them with my data anyway).
Chromebox with OpenELEC has been rock solid since last June for me. The only glitch I have experienced was the box just locking up completely, which it has done 3 times that I know of. Otherwise it is perfect. The only thing I wish it had was an optical audio out.

I also run OpenELEC on a RaspPi and I doubt it would be good enough for what you want. It is a good bedroom HTPC but lacks the HP to be ready for prime time. I just bought an RaspPi2 and set the FLIRC up on it a couple of days ago. It is definitely a substantial upgrade over the RaspPi B that I was using but I haven't yet swapped it out and I can't vouch for its stability.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Chromebox with Openelec is the gold standard that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I concur, Chromebox with Openelec is the way to go.
post #7 of 14 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't do the whole HTPC thing anymore but if your looking at streaming boxes, I would say the Dune smart series would be the gold standard, followed by the wdtv Live smp. It's usually: Gold standard. Doesn't break the bank. <----pick one.
post #8 of 14 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't have a Chromebox, but I did go the Kodi route, and I can't see going back to a 'black box' solution. The cost and performance if you don't need 3D, I think are far better. Not to mention the flexibility.
post #9 of 14 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Agree on Chromebox with OpenElec. I have the Asus and it rocks.

I have a Mede8er 600, KD Links, and Dune packed away. The ability to dual boot to Chrome OS is big for me. Did I mention it was fast?

Willie
post #10 of 14 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Jriver is excellent. I use it with my HTPC,I don't know if its compatible with what your using. Look into it,you won't be sorry.
post #11 of 14 Old Today, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
... I would say the Dune smart series would be the gold standard, followed by the wdtv Live smp...
I had a wdtv live. I changed to the mede8er 600x3d and am much happier with it.

David
post #12 of 14 Old Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post
I had a wdtv live. I changed to the mede8er 600x3d and am much happier with it.
Yes, I heard those are good too. Full BD ISO Menu too right?
post #13 of 14 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Yes, I heard those are good too. Full BD ISO Menu too right?
No, not BD menus and it doesn't handle forced subs either. It does do 3D. I was very close to getting one myself but then WD came out with the update that gave the Live-SMP DTS-HD and that ended that. I don't do 3D. While I wouldn't call the WD a gold standard, it is hard to beat the price/performance of that box if you don't care about 3D.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
No, not BD menus and it doesn't handle forced subs either. It does do 3D. I was very close to getting one myself but then WD came out with the update that gave the Live-SMP DTS-HD and that ended that. I don't do 3D. While I wouldn't call the WD a gold standard, it is hard to beat the price/performance of that box if you don't care about 3D.
Well, that's the thing. It's so hard to put these players in a class because "Gold" means so many different things to different people. But considering the streamers that are still in production and being supported by the manufacturer (meaning factory firmware updates)(and not android boxes)......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page