Just how fast is it? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Today, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exclamation Just how fast is it?

About 2 months ago, my Blu-Ray player decided it wanted to come on and go off by itself, at mystical times of the day (sometimes within seconds, other times within hours). I checked with Samsung and they said "take it in for service", well, my thought was, it's a few years old, why spend $60-80 an hour on repair when a new unit will do more for almost the cost of 2 hours of service plus parts.

I've scoured the 'net looking for references on DLNA streaming capabilities and I find quite a few units actually claim they can, though to paint a picture, I use Media Portal and another TV tuner sofware (60FPS 1080 MPEG files). I have hours upon hours of shows on both file types. Now, my old player couldn't stream any of them (it could however do the 30FPS NTSC shows). The home has a commercial N300 Gigabit access point along with a full Gigabit network (and NAS). I did try a Sony BDPS5200 Blu-Ray player someone I know had bought for me in hopes it would work, it worked *okay* here, was able to stream the 30FPS 1080 stream from Media Portal, but failed miserably with the 60FPS one. I noted the 10/100 port on the back of the player and told him, "It just isn't going to work". I did however have some stuttering on the 30FPS 1080 file and on some it would fast forward and rewind, but not all. (This is with their latest firmware which the unit practically begged me to install before I did anything.)

I myself didn't try placing the files on a USB stick to see if it would play them from there without stuttering (probably would, as the unit will play 3D which isn't 30FPS but from what I've seen 60+). Now, while the unit was here, I didn't peek at the access point to see what it connected at (most likely 72Mhz max for 10/100 based N units), oddly enough the Sony didn't give me any of that information (was all neatly forgotten), my old Blu-Ray player told me what it was connected at including the information. Now I could have gone looking for it, but again, wasn't important, since I saw the 10/100 in the specs, there won't be an N300 full speed unit in there, ever.

My problem is, I still don't have a Blu-Ray player, would love one that has a Gigabit + N300 wireless (not a requirement if the Gigabit is there, a wire to it won't be hard, take me an hour to punch one in), but if no beast exists, a small Blu-Ray player and a media player capable of doing the full N300/Gigabit, so I can stream my media without hiccups.

Has anyone out there done any connection tests for their Blu-Rays? Who's got the fastest above 72Mhz (I'm thinking not since that is the limit of the connections below Gigabit). I mean seriously manufacturers, Gigabit is old, we've got 10 now and the adapters are coming down in price, there's no excuse.

GuruSR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page