• 1 Post By crazyxbowler
post #1 of 6 Old Today, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Switch before Airpoet Extreme

I currently have the Arris cm820 cable modem connected to a 5th gen Airport extreme. My devices are a Samsung 64f8500, Oppo BDP-105, Roku 3, Ipad, 2 Mac pro's, 2 book pro's, and a couple of smart phones. My media center is downstairs, along with the cable modem and the Airport extreme. I just ran cat6 throughout my house, so I want to only use the wireless for the ipad, mac book pro's, and smart phones. I need to add a switch and also want to move the Airport extreme upstairs, since that is where most of the wireless devices are. Currently when we use the wireless upstairs are speed drops down to about a quarter of what it is downstairs.

So I would like to put the switch right after the cable modem then run from the switch to all of the devices and the airport extreme, but I am not sure if this will work? From what I read, it looks like most people put their switches before the wireless routers?

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread Today, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
put your switch after the router.

modem->router->switch->devices
pgwalsh likes this.
post #3 of 6 Unread Today, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxbowler View Post
put your switch after the router.

modem->router->switch->devices
^ this.

Make sure to get a full duplex gigabit switch.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone. I was afraid you where going to say that I need to put the switch before the router. So if I want to move the airport extreme upstairs, to get better wifi upstairs, and keep the switch downstairs I would need to get another router to put before the switch? Any recommendations for a good not to expensive router?

This is the switch I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ANU9P4C3SJQYZ

Thanks,
Steve
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post
Thanks everyone. I was afraid you where going to say that I need to put the switch before the router. So if I want to move the airport extreme upstairs, to get better wifi upstairs, and keep the switch downstairs I would need to get another router to put before the switch? Any recommendations for a good not to expensive router?

This is the switch I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ANU9P4C3SJQYZ

Thanks,
Steve
If you can connect your modem to your airport extreme and then the airport extreme to your switch then you're okay.

I guess if you had a cable line in the same room you could move the modem to the same room as the airport express. Then if you have a gigabit ethernet cable running from that room to where all you other ethernet cables are you could connect them all to the switch. Does that make sense?

Usually you have a splitter for cable with one going to your tv and the other to your modem. You'd be required to move that with the modem.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post

Thanks,
Steve

While it may seem wasteful, just get another Airport Extreme. You seem to like Apple equipment and the Airport's fit well in that environment. The airport supports 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz and all the latest protocols. Compared to the price of the Mac's and the BDP-105, it's cheap. Why create complexity for a few bucks? You can then manage both the devices from the Apple application on say an iPhone. The Airport's should just install themselves, the one upstairs will be connected via Ethernet to the one downstairs. If you reset them to the factory configuration, plug them in, and use the Apple application, the install should be easy. You've already done the initial Airport so you know what's required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page