Adding AirPort to old receiver - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding AirPort to old receiver

I have two old receivers and was doing some reading about these Apple airports and wondering how well they work and are they worth investing in. One receiver want to put in garage and these should increase internet range and give me AirPlay for my apple products if I understand how they work. Other in master bedroom which would give me Apple TV and AirPlay in there. Love to hear people experience with them and if I'm going to gain much by adding them. My Denon receivers have AirPlay and love it that is why the interest to make all that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'm interested in these also,but have no
Experience with them.

I use an Apple TV in my bedroom connected
Via wi-fi. Works great for AirPlay to my older
Marantz which doesn't have any internet capability.

The Apple TV is only $69 right now,new model
Due out in June...maybe.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What you are doing should work, just keep in mind a couple things:

- The AirPort Express does not have a web-based setup, so you'll need a computer or mobile device with the app to configure it. You can get a deal on an older model Express (the plug-in-the-wall model), but you will need to find & download the older app, since the new app won't work with the old devices.
- Unlike AirPlay that is "built-in" to the receiver, hooking up an Express won't give you "wake-on-signal" ability (eg, start playing from your phone & the receiver turns on & switches to the correct input), unless your receiver happens to support this function, which is rare.
- The AirPort Express won't support video, for that you'll need an Apple TV (or PC & software, but that's a different project!).
- You can get generic, lower-priced AirPlay (most with web-based setup), but quality is variable and these (usually) 2.4ghz devices probably won't effectively increase your wifi range, which seems to be a feature you want.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming