Cat 6 termination - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old Today, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cat 6 termination

So i got finally one oatch cable terminated and works fine but i have question regarding error detection. Is it possible to check if my cable works 100 % without cat 6 tester?
With my new terminated cat 6 i can get on internet and no problems but can my cat 6 cable be "slower"than cat 6 cable that is factory terminated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Today, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 337
If you're using solid core CAT-6 to extend your ethernet connection, and you've confirmed that the wiring is the same at both ends (I just used a $10 battery operated circuit tester) then you should not have any problems. I just terminated mine with punch down Keystone jacks. If you're using CAT-6 ethernet cable (patch cable) I've never had any luck connecting the termination points and just used pre-terminated cable. If the cables are wired correctly (the same at both ends) then you shouldn't see any speed hits at all. It's just a dumb pipe.
post #3 of 7 Unread Today, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
If you're using solid core CAT-6 to extend your ethernet connection, and you've confirmed that the wiring is the same at both ends (I just used a $10 battery operated circuit tester) then you should not have any problems. I just terminated mine with punch down Keystone jacks. If you're using CAT-6 ethernet cable (patch cable) I've never had any luck connecting the termination points and just used pre-terminated cable. If the cables are wired correctly (the same at both ends) then you shouldn't see any speed hits at all. It's just a dumb pipe.
Yeah i got one of those network testers but it doesnt seem to be working properly. In this video i am trying to test path cable that is factory terminated (got it with my router) and you can see that tester doesnt do anything.

Today i terminated one patch cable and replaced factory bought with my newly made cable and works fine...
post #4 of 7 Unread Today, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribor40 View Post
Yeah i got one of those network testers but it doesnt seem to be working properly. In this video i am trying to test path cable that is factory terminated (got it with my router) and you can see that tester doesnt do anything.

http://youtu.be/Hkv7AcPP8w0

Today i terminated one patch cable and replaced factory bought with my newly made cable and works fine...
I could be wrong but I think you need to use the left port on the primary unit.
Never mind I couldn't see that it was a rj11 port due to the potato quality of the video. If factory terminated cables aren't working with the tester and they do work on your network it is safe to say the tester is defective.

Last edited by ikkuranus; Today at 06:26 PM.
post #5 of 7 Unread Today, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
I could be wrong but I think you need to use the left port on the primary unit.
Never mind I couldn't see that it was a rj11 port due to the potato quality of the video. If factory terminated cables aren't working with the tester and they do work on your network it is safe to say the tester is defective.
So since i dont want to wait another 2 weeks to get replacement tester is it safe to just terminate cable and put it to work and if it works its safe to say it is terminated properly?
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I have a very similar Network Tester that worked just fine. If your ethernet cables work then just use them as is until you can get a replacement tester and test again in case you're concerned. You're not installing the cables in-wall are you?
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Should be fine. I personally have never had any network equipment go bad due to miss matched wiring or where a few wires didn't make it all the way into the plug before crimping. It either worked or didn't.

Keep in mind this might be different when dealing with power over ethernet. Most consumer grade equipment don't support that unless stated on the packaging.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page