New member - trying to make perfect 1:1 DVD files - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LastButNotLeast
  • 1 Post By ash_man

post #1 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New member - trying to make perfect 1:1 DVD files

My goal is to make loss less quality files from my modest 300 DVD collection, store them and play them locally from my new KDlinks a200, then watch them on my 50" Pioneer Elite 720p TV.

After reading some reviews I bought Aimersoft DVD Ripper and started to go to work. I read h264 is the best codec and Mp4 was the best container. Those rips produced horizontal lines going through the image and greatly distorted the picture. I then found out I was trying to turn standard definition sources into high definition files and that wouldn't work. I then tried some standard definition formats like mpeg-2. All of those rips greatly reduced the file size and picture quality. Next I tried to rip the DVDs to loss less VOB files. Some copies (like the movie "12 Monkeys" and District 9) came out with the director commentary always on even when I did not select that audio track before I began the rip. Can't have that. Then I tried VOB but not "loss less". Those files were compressed down from DVD 9 to DVD 5 size. (dual layer to single layer)

So I thought I would try the ISO image format. Aimersoft DVD Ripper could not make ISO images, so I purchased Aimersoft DVD Copier. Those ISO files came out with the subtitles or captioning permantly on. I'm getting SICK of spending more and more money on copying and ripping software with claims that it will work only to find out I wasted more money.

I read a lot of posts on here about makeMKV. I went to their website and read some threads on their forum of people having the same problem with the permanent subtitles. So I don't know what to do. It can't be impossible to make a file copy of a standard definition DVD that will look as good as the original on only a 50" TV in 720p.

HELP PLEASE!

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Try this for 21 days:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
Dstyles75 likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #3 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Whenever I ripped DVD's I found hand brake the easiest to use out of all the software packages out there and I tried quite a few of them. If you are just looking to rip a DVD into an MKV file, Make MKV is pretty easy too. With regards to subtitles, unless its a foreign film or a film with some foreign parts in it, I usually leave the subtitles in anyway but I don't force them, so they are there but not forced and so don't come on permanently unless selected.
Dstyles75 likes this.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstyles75 View Post
It can't be impossible to make a file copy of a standard definition DVD that will look as good as the original on only a 50" TV in 720p.
Actually, the manufacturers of the discs would like it to be impossible, but it isn't; it's just difficult.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #5 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
My goal is to make loss less quality files from my modest 300 DVD collection, store them and play them locally from my new KDlinks a200, then watch them on my 50" Pioneer Elite 720p TV.

After reading some reviews I bought Aimersoft DVD Ripper and started to go to work. I read h264 is the best codec and Mp4 was the best container. Those rips produced horizontal lines going through the image and greatly distorted the picture. I then found out I was trying to turn standard definition sources into high definition files and that wouldn't work. I then tried some standard definition formats like mpeg-2. All of those rips greatly reduced the file size and picture quality. Next I tried to rip the DVDs to loss less VOB files. Some copies (like the movie "12 Monkeys" and District 9) came out with the director commentary always on even when I did not select that audio track before I began the rip. Can't have that. Then I tried VOB but not "loss less". Those files were compressed down from DVD 9 to DVD 5 size. (dual layer to single layer)

So I thought I would try the ISO image format. Aimersoft DVD Ripper could not make ISO images, so I purchased Aimersoft DVD Copier. Those ISO files came out with the subtitles or captioning permantly on. I'm getting SICK of spending more and more money on copying and ripping software with claims that it will work only to find out I wasted more money.

I read a lot of posts on here about makeMKV. I went to their website and read some threads on their forum of people having the same problem with the permanent subtitles. So I don't know what to do. It can't be impossible to make a file copy of a standard definition DVD that will look as good as the original on only a 50" TV in 720p.

HELP PLEASE!

-Dave
If you truly want 1:1 PERFECT DVD copies, then all you need is Sylsoft AnyDVD, insert your disc and right clisk and rip to ISO, then repeat 300 times, once for each disc.
This will consume 1.5+ TB.
Any other workflow will take much more time, with reduced quality, for some hard drive space savings.
1:1 normally means bit-perfect which means no transcoding......good luck.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

*** Update ***

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I downloaded and installed anydvd and dvdclone. I don't like dvdclone will only copy or encode to DVD-5. That means its compressing dual layer dvds. That's is a deal breaker for me. I then tried running anydvd in the background while I used Aimersoft DVD Ripper. The forced director commentary was still in the VOB files it made.

I like the Anydvd but can someone suggest a good ripper to use with it? Again, I'm hoping for the ability to make a 1:1 copy of dual layer DVDs
post #7 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
If you truly want 1:1 PERFECT DVD copies, then all you need is Sylsoft AnyDVD, insert your disc and right clisk and rip to ISO, then repeat 300 times, once for each disc.
This will consume 1.5+ TB.
Any other workflow will take much more time, with reduced quality, for some hard drive space savings.
1:1 normally means bit-perfect which means no transcoding......good luck.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but right click on what? The dvd drive in my computer or on something in anydvd?
post #8 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but right click on what? The dvd drive in my computer or on something in anydvd?

From anydvd website:
Will AnyDVD copy my movie DVDs?

No. AnyDVD is a driver that decrypts the inserted DVDs in the background. Windows and all third-party software will not find any region restrictions or encryptions on your DVDs. With the help of AnyDVD, DVD-copy software like CloneDVD, Pinnacle InstantCopy, Intervideo DVDCopy and many others will be able to handle copy-protected DVDs.

To copy DVDs 'on the fly' we suggest you use CloneDVD
post #9 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Once AnyDVD is installed, there's a cute little icon in your taskbar (it's a red fox). Right click on that, select "Rip Video Disc to Harddisc" and you will get an exact copy of the disc. For BDs, you need AnyDVDHD. You can play with the settings if you like; the defaults work fine.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Red face It works!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Once AnyDVD is installed, there's a cute little icon in your taskbar (it's a red fox). Right click on that, select "Rip Video Disc to Harddisc" and you will get an exact copy of the disc. For BDs, you need AnyDVDHD. You can play with the settings if you like; the defaults work fine.

WOW!!! It works! I just tested it using Virtual Clone Drive. Thank you so much!
post #11 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My pleasure.
Welcome to AVS!

Michael

post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Another option is MakeMKV.

It doesn't compress the video. All it does is extracts the video and audio streams and puts them into an mkv container. But that also means that each movie takes up like 4-8 gigs.
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

He was having trouble with subtitles with MakeMKV.

post #14 of 15 Old Today, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
Another option is MakeMKV.

It doesn't compress the video. All it does is extracts the video and audio streams and puts them into an mkv container.
MakeMKV is my tool of choice for converting DVD to MKV. I've converted over 2TB of TV series DVD.iso to MKV in the past month for Plex. I've had no problems with subtitles. I wouldn't do this any other way.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 15 Old Today, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I downloaded and installed anydvd and dvdclone. I don't like dvdclone will only copy or encode to DVD-5. That means its compressing dual layer dvds. That's is a deal breaker for me. I then tried running anydvd in the background while I used Aimersoft DVD Ripper. The forced director commentary was still in the VOB files it made.

I like the Anydvd but can someone suggest a good ripper to use with it? Again, I'm hoping for the ability to make a 1:1 copy of dual layer DVDs
What is DVDClone?

Did you mean DVD Cloner or CloneDVD? CloneDVD will certainly do a lossless rip of a DVD. Personally, for DVDs I like to use the old DVD Shrink+AnyDVD. Either of those methods will work just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
best format , dvd , iso , loss less , vob