Termination of CAT 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdacat

post #1 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Termination of CAT 6

i have completed termination of my 6 cat 6 cables which are behind the wall. One end of 6 of these cables will be behind the TV and other 6 ends will be terminated at the patch panel which is in the mail.

I have tested my current termination with my network tester and it looks fine but i am just curious about what is better. I know one end of cables will be terminated at patch panel.

Other end of 6 cables as of right now is terminated with RJ45 plugs. I noticed that if i start bending the cable at the termination or close to termination i would lose signal on my tester i would then bend it in oposite way and signal would be back. Unfortunately i did not know much about termination so i did not make plate openings on the wall behind the tv for keystone plates so thats why i chose to terminate with plugs.
Any recomendation what to do now. Do i leave it as it is (plugs) or do i change it into keystone. Having 6 keystones without plates on the wall would probably look silly but its behind the tv so who cares.

Anyone have any input or suggestions what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribor40 View Post
i have completed termination of my 6 cat 6 cables which are behind the wall. One end of 6 of these cables will be behind the TV and other 6 ends will be terminated at the patch panel which is in the mail.

I have tested my current termination with my network tester and it looks fine but i am just curious about what is better. I know one end of cables will be terminated at patch panel.

Other end of 6 cables as of right now is terminated with RJ45 plugs. I noticed that if i start bending the cable at the termination or close to termination i would lose signal on my tester i would then bend it in oposite way and signal would be back. Unfortunately i did not know much about termination so i did not make plate openings on the wall behind the tv for keystone plates so thats why i chose to terminate with plugs.
Any recomendation what to do now. Do i leave it as it is (plugs) or do i change it into keystone. Having 6 keystones without plates on the wall would probably look silly but its behind the tv so who cares.

Anyone have any input or suggestions what to do?
IMO, Cat-6 is too rigid to plug directly into a device if that's what you're asking. Stranded patch cords from the keystone to the appliance work much better.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If they are cutting out when you bend them, then they aren't crimped well

as for the termination, how did you wire them? (what order?). I tried going from keystone connectors upstairs in a house straight to rj45 connections in the basement to plug into a small 4 port router they had, and it wouldn't work. I punched them down fine, but I'm guessing the order that they were punched wasn't compatible on both ends for some reason, even though I did them both 568b. I swapped it so they were keystones on both ends, and it was fine. I never looked up why that would have been an issue, but I always go keystone to keystone, or keystone to patch panel now because of it

Just cut a hole, and buy one of those twist out inserts that you can screw the wallplate to

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #4 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
If they are cutting out when you bend them, then they aren't crimped well

as for the termination, how did you wire them? (what order?). I tried going from keystone connectors upstairs in a house straight to rj45 connections in the basement to plug into a small 4 port router they had, and it wouldn't work. I punched them down fine, but I'm guessing the order that they were punched wasn't compatible on both ends for some reason, even though I did them both 568b. I swapped it so they were keystones on both ends, and it was fine. I never looked up why that would have been an issue, but I always go keystone to keystone, or keystone to patch panel now because of it

Just cut a hole, and buy one of those twist out inserts that you can screw the wallplate to
I did 568B on each end. I also got the tester from home depot which was a huge help. I cant the hole because these 6 cables are inside conduit and they stick out of conduit. So i am not sure if i should change these plugs into keystones. 6 keystones are gonna look silly
post #5 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post
IMO, Cat-6 is too rigid to plug directly into a device if that's what you're asking. Stranded patch cords from the keystone to the appliance work much better.
What is too rigid to plug directly? Plug?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

This is what i have... Empty hole is so i can run wire from there to the floor ( entertainment unit)

http://tinypic.com/r/fmubl0/8
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Meow

Dude.
You are going to struggle for days trying to install a RJ45 plug on the end of a CAT6 cable. In the end you will have marginal CAT5 performance, 1GB. CAT6 or 10GB can only be verified with specialized test equipment (i.e. Fluke DTX). If the conductors are not laid out properly going into the RJ45 jack, 10GB performance will never happen.
If your neat and tidy, terminating CAT6 into a keystone jack is doable for most homeowners and novices. (use a quality punch down tool)
Do yourself a huge favor and buy an assortment of ready made patch cables from Amazon.

IMHO: I would not waste my time and or money on CAT6; seriously doubt consumer devices will every need it.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

you saw my pic.... I have one of those cables terminated with keystone.
Are you saying i should do all of them like that?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
you saw my pic.... I have one of those cables terminated with keystone.
Are you saying i should do all of them like that?
Cat 6 is difficult to work with. I ran Cat 6 from one end of my house to the other to connect a computer closet with another computer closet and did all the terminations myself. Solid core Cat 6 is too stiff to connect directly to devices which is why i recommend installing it on a punch down board, wall plate or keystone and then use stranded patch cable to connect to the device.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Location: Dennison IL, just across the state line from Terre Haute IN.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With the wire running out of the hole, you should be able to put a two or three gang box over it with the correct punch-outs on the back. Just add a panel with the number of keystones you want. They should just click in. Be careful with the terminations. I think CAT6 only allows for a 40 degree turn radius because of wire spacing and shielding. Spec also calls for no more than 1/4" of non-twisted wire to make terminations.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have image of 3 gang box? I have 4 wires there. If you put some box on top of the hole wouldnt it be hard to put tv over it?

If you have image of what you are refering too would be great
post #12 of 14 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Do you have image of 3 gang box? I have 4 wires there. If you put some box on top of the hole wouldnt it be hard to put tv over it?

If you have image of what you are refering too would be great
for 4 wires, use a 4-gang box & faceplate . just google 4-gang RJ45 faceplate & box - all over the internet and very cheap.

a surface mounted box is easiest but if you don't have enough room you may need to cut out the sheet rock and install the box to an adjacent stud.
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mounting bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post
for 4 wires, use a 4-gang box & faceplate . just google 4-gang RJ45 faceplate & box - all over the internet and very cheap.

a surface mounted box is easiest but if you don't have enough room you may need to cut out the sheet rock and install the box to an adjacent stud.
These mounting brackets are the cat's meow.
http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-LV1-...k+mounting+box

No need to mount to a stud...
Vorkosigan likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
These mounting brackets are the cat's meow.
http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-LV1-...k+mounting+box

No need to mount to a stud...
Also no need to pay five bucks for one... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-...00RR/100160916
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page