Streaming Media thru older AV Receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-11-2015, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Streaming Media thru older AV Receiver?

I'm trying to connect a Roku2 box to my circa 2007 Pioneer VSX 90TXV receiver in a home theater installation.

The HDMI ports on this receiver are only able to transport video (HDMI 1.3), they do not carry audio. So, I've tried an HDMI switch using HDMI RedMere cables as well as an HDMI switch connecting to the receiver with an optical Toslink cable but have had no luck.

Is there any way to route audio from the Roku box thru the receiver or should I just punt and buy a newer receiver?

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrow View Post
I'm trying to connect a Roku2 box to my circa 2007 Pioneer VSX 90TXV receiver in a home theater installation.

The HDMI ports on this receiver are only able to transport video (HDMI 1.3), they do not carry audio. So, I've tried an HDMI switch using HDMI RedMere cables as well as an HDMI switch connecting to the receiver with an optical Toslink cable but have had no luck.

Is there any way to route audio from the Roku box thru the receiver or should I just punt and buy a newer receiver?

Thanks,

Jeff

Monoprice sells an HDMI Switch that has an Optical Output so that would be one option, this would give you a separate audio output that I assume your AVR Can utilize?

Here's the link...

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

I used one for a long time with my Sonos Playbar Soundbar and it worked very well.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks funhouse69. I have this exact Monoprice switch but so far, haven't realized any audio through the digital connection. Maybe I have it incorrectly connected or somehow need to enable the optical port in the AVR? I'll try it one more time before I punt.
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrow View Post
Thanks funhouse69. I have this exact Monoprice switch but so far, haven't realized any audio through the digital connection. Maybe I have it incorrectly connected or somehow need to enable the optical port in the AVR? I'll try it one more time before I punt.
So, I reconnected the Monoprice switch to my Roku and AVR and...success! I was being retarded with the connections. So, HDMI from Roku into switch then from switch HDMI out to TV and Toslink optical out to AVR optical in. Had to toggle between the 5.1CH and 2CH audio outputs to find sound but otherwise works like a charm.

I have now officially cut the cable ...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page