streaming device that supports .ts files? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Speed Daemon

post #1 of 16 Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
streaming device that supports .ts files?

Do any of the streaming devices out there support .ts files? That is the file file type coming out of my Win TV-HVR-2250 tuner card in my HTPC. I've tried streaming them to my xbox 360 but they are being auto-transcoded and the quality takes a major hit. It also doesn't allow FFW or RW.

Will the roku, chromecast, or fire stick stream .ts files stored on the local network? I've found a couple LG blu-ray players that claim to support .ts files, but I can't find any reports of people actually playing them over network.

I know some will recommend transcoding the .ts files to something the xbox can handle prior to streaming, but we like to start watching shows while they are being recorded so I really need to be able to stream the .ts file.

Of course, I can use WMC and stream to the xbox as an extender for the time being, but I will be upgrading to win10 eventually so I need another solution.

I'm sure there is something out there that I just don't know about yet. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Do any of the streaming devices out there support .ts files? That is the file file type coming out of my Win TV-HVR-2250 tuner card in my HTPC. I've tried streaming them to my xbox 360 but they are being auto-transcoded and the quality takes a major hit. It also doesn't allow FFW or RW.

Will the roku, chromecast, or fire stick stream .ts files stored on the local network? I've found a couple LG blu-ray players that claim to support .ts files, but I can't find any reports of people actually playing them over network.

I know some will recommend transcoding the .ts files to something the xbox can handle prior to streaming, but we like to start watching shows while they are being recorded so I really need to be able to stream the .ts file.

Of course, I can use WMC and stream to the xbox as an extender for the time being, but I will be upgrading to win10 eventually so I need another solution.

I'm sure there is something out there that I just don't know about yet. Any help appreciated.
I use a WDTV Live Streaming Media Player that supports .ts files. The current WDTV Live Media Player should support .ts files, too. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is that the latter doesn't have Netflix.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

That device (WDTV) looks promising, thanks for the reply!
post #4 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I use a WDTV Live Streaming Media Player that supports .ts files. The current WDTV Live Media Player should support .ts files, too. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is that the latter doesn't have Netflix.
I just realized you want to stream while it's still being recorded. I don't think the WDTV box will do that.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I just realized you want to stream while it's still being recorded. I don't think the WDTV box will do that.
Yes, it will. The performance of the HDD is the determining factor.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Unless you have a reason other than 'it's the latest, ergo the greatest Windows' there's really no reason to abandon Windows Media Center and the Xbox 360. If you want to use Win10 get yourself a shiny new PC (or for that matter a grubby old off lease one) but leave the HTPC alone.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have been using those newer inexpensive Chinese Android TV boxes to stream my Live TV HD mpeg2 ts streams (720P and 1080i) without any problems. No transcoding required

Last edited by clarkss12; 08-23-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Except most of them lack deinterlacing. I'd suggest Raspberry Pi2, Chromebox or if you want proper mpeg2 playback in an Android box, then Nexus Player or Shield Android TV I belive do deinterlacing in addition to H/W support for mpeg2 (added recently).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #9 of 16 Old 08-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
If you're trying to read a file that's already open for writing to, you should expect to have problems! That's the risk you take in reading while writing.

Do you have the same problems after the video is fully cooked? If so, try converting it from a transport stream (.ts) to a program stream (.mpeg) and see if that helps. There's no transcoding necessary to strip off the TS wrapper, and the simpler PS wrapper may stream better.

Also, why can't you just watch on the HTPC? The more complications you add, the more potential for problems you get...

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
I have been using those newer inexpensive Chinese Android TV boxes to stream my Live TV HD mpeg2 ts streams (720P and 1080i) without any problems. No transcoding required
Never heard of these before. Can you share a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Except most of them lack deinterlacing. I'd suggest Raspberry Pi2, Chromebox or if you want proper mpeg2 playback in an Android box, then Nexus Player or Shield Android TV I belive do deinterlacing in addition to H/W support for mpeg2 (added recently).
Raspberry pi2 huh. I've been looking for an excuse to pick one up. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
If you're trying to read a file that's already open for writing to, you should expect to have problems! That's the risk you take in reading while writing.

Do you have the same problems after the video is fully cooked? If so, try converting it from a transport stream (.ts) to a program stream (.mpeg) and see if that helps. There's no transcoding necessary to strip off the TS wrapper, and the simpler PS wrapper may stream better.

Also, why can't you just watch on the HTPC? The more complications you add, the more potential for problems you get...
WinTV has an option to auto convert from .ts to .mpg after the recording is complete, but for some reason those files don't play properly on the xbox either.

As for why don't I just watch on the HTPC... because it is now doubling as the family desktop computer and isn't located in front of a couch...
post #11 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Even the Amlogic S805 SoC?
post #12 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The Amlogic S805 SoC is one known to do proper deinterlacing. I believe this is the Kodi forum thread for it.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 PM

I am no means an expert on video hardware or all the terminology, all I know is what looks and sounds good to me. I have no idea what deinterlacing is or for that mater 23.976 fps or something life that. I have/had 10 or 12 different Android boxes/sticks including the Google developers box, the ADT-1. Each version gets better, granted, up until a year ago they were not very good.

My video showing my most recent box. Also, I am using my $35 MK808B Plus (Amlogic S805 SoC) running OpenELEC and tvheadend server for my PVR/DVR and it works very well.

post #14 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Your $35 MK808B is known to do mpeg2 and deinterlacing well. Basically, with proper deinterlacing, you don't see judder in mpeg 2 playback or live TV.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
As for why don't I just watch on the HTPC... because it is now doubling as the family desktop computer and isn't located in front of a couch...
Well I would certainly not call it an HTPC then. Buy a cheap Win7 machine and use that as an actual HTPC.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
WinTV has an option to auto convert from .ts to .mpg after the recording is complete, but for some reason those files don't play properly on the xbox either.
So you've already tried that trick w/ no joy. This looks like a similar problem that I had with a different device -- it doesn't take MPEG-2 video itself. (Or so the Xbox online literature says.) No doubt it's a cheapskate move to maximize their profits. Transcoding to MPEG-4 is a pain, as you've discovered yourself.

My solution was to buy a separate media player that supported all of the file formats that I needed. The "inexpensive Chinese Android TV boxes" that clarkss12 suggested may be your best solution. I bought Micca products, but they no longer make them. This looks like a great deal:

MXQ Amlogic S805 Quad Core Xbmc Tv Box Android 4.4 Kitkat H.265 Wifi LAN Miracast Airplay Hdmi 1g RAM 8g ROM + Vensmile Phone Stand

Quote:
Say no more, I've been there myself! My sympathies...
clarkss12 likes this.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page