*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #571 of 587 Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 604
My guess is that it is downconverting. Does your AV allow you to display the stream info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 587 Old 08-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
My guess is that it is downconverting. Does your AV allow you to display the stream info?
Good tip Dan, thank you. I was able to confirm on a new receiver that the optical out downconverts to 96KHZ PCM.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #573 of 587 Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
For the garage or kitchen I use google play to stream MP3's for serious listening I use Bubble UPNP to stream FLAC. Bubble UPNP is nice as it will do local files from the phone, DLNA servers, and regular network shares (Bubble is only mobile based program that I know of that will direct the CCA to a network share, many will do DLNA). The interface is kinda poor but the feature set is excellent and the app works extremely well.
I've been using BubbleUPnP for streaming via the BubbleUPnP server for a while, but I find it's not great for playing local files stored on a phone. How do you normally navigate and play local files? Do you shuffle or tend to play a full album front to back?

post #574 of 587 Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^try Hi-fi Cast for local files

Last edited by DanPackMan; 08-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #575 of 587 Old 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
I've been using BubbleUPnP for streaming via the BubbleUPnP server for a while, but I find it's not great for playing local files stored on a phone. How do you normally navigate and play local files? Do you shuffle or tend to play a full album front to back?
I don't store music on the phone, I would have assumed you could navigate local directories the same as networked directories.
post #576 of 587 Old 08-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
^try Hi-fi Cast for local files
I just read about this app for the first time as I was reading the thread, I'm going to try that next

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
I don't store music on the phone, I would have assumed you could navigate local directories the same as networked directories.
I have a fairly large (45k+ track) collection on my server, but I also store a playlist of 3k+ "favorite" tracks on my phone in case I'm doing maintenance on the server or don't want to stream if I have bad connectivity. You can browse to local tracks with Bubble, but I haven't found a way to shuffle all the local tracks, which is generally what I want to do if I am playing from that source. Looks like Hi-Fi Cast might be the answer.
post #577 of 587 Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On Hifi Cast, just go to 'all music' and you can select shuffle all from the menu. Easy Peasy
post #578 of 587 Old 08-20-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
You can browse to local tracks with Bubble, but I haven't found a way to shuffle all the local tracks, which is generally what I want to do if I am playing from that source. Looks like Hi-Fi Cast might be the answer.
I just use Google Play Music to do that. Set it to "downloaded only".
post #579 of 587 Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Is it pretty much a consensus that there are problems with 6-8+ zone chromecast audio systems?

I'm currently running 4 zones (main system, living room, master bedroom and gym) with no problems at all.

I want to install 2 sets of outdoor speakers in the backyard running off a pair of auto on/off signal sensing Dayton Audio APA102 class D amps driving Def Tech AW 6500 outdoor speakers. Each amp will have it's own chromecast audio unit so that I can have each outdoor zone independent and/or set them up as a chromecast group so that they can all play together.

I was also thinking of adding another two or three zones when I finish the basement (the gym is currently in the unfinished basement) to bring the total CCA zones up to 8 or 9.

Is anyone currently running with 8 or 9 zones with no problems, or is that too much to ask? Do I need to re-think my strategy? I have a 150 Mbps fiber optic internet connection and a good Asus router if that matters.

Main System: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels
post #580 of 587 Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got a couple of these Hausbell wifi power switches on sale for $17; A great solution for my CCA/amp combo in my garage. I can now turn them on/off from my phone. Very quick and easy setup.

https://www.amazon.com/HAUSBELL-Cont...ELL+Wi-Fi+Plug
post #581 of 587 Old 09-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm trying to get this to work with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. I'm running a 3.5mm to XLR cable from the Chromecast into the AES input of the DAC, but I get no audio. Is th Chromecast not made to work in this fashion?
post #582 of 587 Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
I'm trying to get this to work with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. I'm running a 3.5mm to XLR cable from the Chromecast into the AES input of the DAC, but I get no audio. Is th Chromecast not made to work in this fashion?
If I understand correctly, you're trying to send an analog signal into the AES digital input of your DAC. You can use a mini optical cable out of the Chromecast Audio into the optical input of the DAC if you want it to work.

Main System: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels
post #583 of 587 Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I will notice any difference if i connect my chromecast audio via spdif to a yamaha as301, now im using a yamaha 479 with the cca via spdif to. Using tidal.
post #584 of 587 Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The new (announced) Google Home Max seems like a pretty nice option to add to your whole-home CCA-driven ecosystem...

Two 4.5" drivers.
Auto-room correction
CCA-built in for casting and grouping
3.5 mm jack
Google Assistant

$399 price point isn't "cheap"... but my guess "sales" won't be hard to come by, consistent with most other google products (CC's, CCA's, Original Home's, etc).
post #585 of 587 Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is anyone using a Wifi mesh system such as Orbi or Velop in combination with Chromecast audio successfully ?

I have added 14 CCsA to my network recently and have had nothing but trouble.

My wired devices (PC) can ping and cast to all 14 Chromecasts (from Chrome browser tab) with no problem.

However, wireless devices such as smartphones have a hell of a lot of trouble. Chromecast audios randomly disappear. The number visible to the phone varies between 0 and 14, usuallly somewhere half way in between.
I have a ping program on my phone and it simply can't ping the IP of these chromecasts that disappear.

I know these chromecasts are NOT off the network - in fact, they continue to stream audio. And at the same time that this happens, wired PC with ping to all 14 is still successful.

The symptom is that the phone can no longer control the CCAs that disappear (such as pause, stop casting, change volume) during the times that they drop off. Eventually, they come back, or not ... It's quite random.

Apparently, this is a problem with having multiple access points, such as Orbi or Velop. I tried them both, and the symptoms are exactly the same, with Orbi with 2 satellites (ie. 3 devices) or Velop with 3 nodes.

If I keep it down to a single access point (ie. one Orbi router, power off the 2 Orbi satellites; or a single Velop node, power down the other 2 nodes) then everything is fine - phone can see and operate all 14 Chromecast audios at all times ... Except in the parts of the house and yard where the phone no longer has any Wifi signal at all - which is the whole point of having Wifi mesh, to deal with dead Wifi spots.

Unfortunately, mesh and Chromecast audios seem to be incompatible with each other.

I have been banging my head for a week (even went as far as trying a different mesh, since I had Orbi for 6 months - just bought a Velop for Fry's for one day to see if that would work - nope) with this unusable Chromecast audio setup. The issues seem to be related to IP multi-casting. The smartphone can still ping all other wireless devices in the house at all times even with mesh. It's only between smartphone and CCAs that there are communication problems.

It seems that the only solution to these issues is to wire all the Chromecasts. I would have to purchase Ethernet interfaces for all of them, and then wire them. In one of my two main speaker feed locations downstairs, with 6 of the Chromecasts, there is already ethernet - so no problem. In the second feed location, upstairs, with 8 Chromecasts, there isn't. I will have to use Powerline (AV1200) to wire them to the network. I hope this will resolve the issues between CCAs and with wireless mesh. This is a major bummer as pretty much every other Wifi device works with mesh (though with much pains as Netgear is constantly messing with Orbi firmware, and it has forced firmware updates), except the CCAs. I have 60 devices on my network now and those CCAs have been the most troublesome PITA devices I have owned. I guess that's what you get for $35 ! There really should be a warning that these don't work with Wifi mesh. Or a bug fix from Google. I have reported the issue to them, and so far only heard a generic reply. Perhaps some more bug fixes are needed in these mesh systems to make CCA work. Or perhaps CCA themselves need more bug fixes. I have not tried Google's own mesh system. Perhaps the CCAs would play ball with that one (one would hope). But even if they do, I do not want to invest in a proprietary solution, ie. a WHA system that only works with Google's own Wifi. I chose Orbi because of the better AC performance - wireless LAN backups at 60 MB/s (500 Mbps) between PCs across floors are pretty sweet. CCAs not working sure is not.
reddice likes this.
post #586 of 587 Old 10-17-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Is anyone using a Wifi mesh system such as Orbi or Velop in combination with Chromecast audio successfully ?

I have added 14 CCsA to my network recently and have had nothing but trouble.
I've been using 10 CCAs on a DD-WRT based WiFi mesh system with two APs (i.e. access points...or nodes in your example) and I experience all of the *exact* same issues you describe. I've tried many, many troubleshooting tactics to no avail. CCA does not play well in a multi-frequency, roaming WiFi mesh environment with multiple access points.

However, I've achieved pretty good stability by limiting each CCA to a single frequency on a single AP in order to prevent them from roaming to a potentially "better" connection on a different AP or different frequency. This is trivial using the MAC filtering functionality of DD-WRT. Since the speakers don't move locations it's not a problem to lock each CCA to the AP signal that offers the best, most consistent connection at each speaker.

I also have my WiFi network set to automatically reboot every night at 4am...so the CCAs refresh their connection at least once daily.

I've also noticed that as the phone itself roams to different WiFi APs (or loses WiFi altogether momentarily for whatever reason...) it can easily lose its connection to a cast stream (e.g. no volume or playback controls, etc.) which would be expected behavior. One solution is to re-initiate the stream (same audio stream to the same CCA group) using the initiating app (such as Pandora)...and it usually re-connects to the ongoing stream seamlessly.

I think a lot of the issues with the controller (phone) not automatically re-acquiring an ongoing cast stream after it drops/switches WiFi connectivity has to do with the Chromecast API and how certain Chromecast-enabled apps implement casting. I've seen this improve over the last two years as the CCA firmware and Google Home app are updated.

Overall, I'm happy with the pretty good, wireless, whole-house audio provided by CCA despite the seemingly inherent limitations.
post #587 of 587 Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDome View Post
I've been using 10 CCAs on a DD-WRT based WiFi mesh system with two APs (i.e. access points...or nodes in your example) and I experience all of the *exact* same issues you describe. I've tried many, many troubleshooting tactics to no avail. CCA does not play well in a multi-frequency, roaming WiFi mesh environment with multiple access points.

However, I've achieved pretty good stability by limiting each CCA to a single frequency on a single AP in order to prevent them from roaming to a potentially "better" connection on a different AP or different frequency. This is trivial using the MAC filtering functionality of DD-WRT. Since the speakers don't move locations it's not a problem to lock each CCA to the AP signal that offers the best, most consistent connection at each speaker.

I also have my WiFi network set to automatically reboot every night at 4am...so the CCAs refresh their connection at least once daily.

I've also noticed that as the phone itself roams to different WiFi APs (or loses WiFi altogether momentarily for whatever reason...) it can easily lose its connection to a cast stream (e.g. no volume or playback controls, etc.) which would be expected behavior. One solution is to re-initiate the stream (same audio stream to the same CCA group) using the initiating app (such as Pandora)...and it usually re-connects to the ongoing stream seamlessly.

I think a lot of the issues with the controller (phone) not automatically re-acquiring an ongoing cast stream after it drops/switches WiFi connectivity has to do with the Chromecast API and how certain Chromecast-enabled apps implement casting. I've seen this improve over the last two years as the CCA firmware and Google Home app are updated.

Overall, I'm happy with the pretty good, wireless, whole-house audio provided by CCA despite the seemingly inherent limitations.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not using DD-WRT - I'm using the official Orbi firmware. It doesn't have MAC filtering per AP.

I finally had it and purchased 15 ethernet interfaces. Not the official ones from google, because I didn't want to give them any more of my money given the mesh problems, but 3rd party ones (ugreen brand).

I had some spare AV1200 powerline module available. Now, nearly all the problems with Chromecasts are fixed, but not all.

Even though they are wired by Ethernet, if my internet connection drops (and it's Comcast, and it drops a lot!!!), all the CCAs suddenly disconnect from the ethernet, and switch to Wifi "setup" mode. Such a horrible design ! Especially with the recent vulnerabilities on Wifi (KRACK), which certainly won't be the last. If there is a live network signal on the ethernet interface, the CCA should never go to Wifi mode, period, regardless of whether internet is available or not.

I could be casting local content from a wired box to those CCAs, but the design of the device prevents it. This is just terrible IMO. Anyone neghbor take over all the Chromecasts over Wifi during the setup mode, and make them play whatever they want in my house. IMO, it should never switch to Wifi as long as it's wired by ethernet and there is a physical cable there. No excuse. And I would say the same if it's connected to Wifi and internet drops. Other wireless devices do not drop from Wifi just because internet is down. But this seems to be by design by google, and it's a terrible design. They have a factory reset button on the CCA , which would be perfectly fine to use for those situations when you actually *do* want to set them up again on another Wifi network. They just should not go to setup mode for each of the 3 to 15 daily Comcast outages of 1-5 minutes each that I experience. I had the Comcast guy over last friday, and he removed a filter on my cable line, but there are still intermittent problems. I'm at the end of the node on top of a hill and it may be an uphill battle to get them to fix their network. In the meantime they have issued a partial credit for my disconnects, but that just doesn't make up for this trouble. If the Chromecasts weren't so stupidly designed, I could live with the short Comcast outages. But as it is, with a network that's only up 99.0% of the time (based on overnight PING packet loss to the internet), the Chromecasts are a nightmare.

IMO, iOT devices need to be built with at least some level of resilience to Internet outages - and the CCAs unfortunately are not.

I wish there was something else anywhere near the price range of the CCA that was better designed and more open, with not just optional ethernet but also perhaps optional A/D input for analog sources. This should be doable via USB OTG just like the optional ethernet interface, if only Google implemented some support in firmware. I would only need a few A/D, maybe 2 or 3, not one for every Chromecast.

I have to hope that someone will root the device so the stupid limitations about 100% internet connection uptime expectation in the CCA firmware is removed, and maybe someone else can add some A/D support to make it more useful. Oh, and have on-board DLNA instead of having to run separate bubble uPNP server. That would make the Chromecast integrate much better with existing A/V devices. Instead, Google is trying to tie everything to their Chrome browsers and apps. I still use Firefox. Of course, I spent 10 years of my life writing security code for it. I'm not going to switch to Chrome. I don't really care about casting anything from a browser anyway.
Chromecast can cast the entire Android device output, ie. any Android app, but it's not bit-perfect. IMO, they should add the ability to cast the audio of any Android as opposed to the whole device. This would obviate the need for any Android app to be explicitly "cast-enabled".

I have seen the same problem that you report about phone losing control of stream when roaming, even those my Chromecasts are wired. But given the unreliability of my internet connection, it's really difficult for me to be sure what the cause is. The phone will also drop to 4G LTE if internet is lost over Wifi. And my Chromecasts are not in guest mode, nor are they even registered to my google account, so they cannot be used from the outside. Of course, they go to setup mode anyway if internet is dropped, and everything becomes f*cked.

What I usually see is if I have the google home app open, and it's showing for example my "whole house" group. All the Chromecasts are still displayed in the group (they no longer drop from the group, as previously when they were on wifi) but sometimes the volume control change is not effective on some of the zones. If I go "back" in the google home app, and select "devices", and then click again on the "whole house" group, it finds all the CCAs again, and the volume sliders work again. Previously when the CCAs were on wifi, the google home app would only find a random number of CCAs when doing this. Now it finds them all, this is progress. I think the google home app is still buggy, though, as there is no reason I should have to manually go back to rediscover the devices. Again, just poor implementation. Really annoying when you have guests over ringing the doorbell, and you want to stop the stream, but cannot without doing this. Also, having to figure out which room you left your phone in before that, and unlocking it with fingerprints to get to the google Home app, only to discover it doesn't work ! The user experience still has a long way to go . Some sorts of permanent keypads would really be helpful. I won't be investing in anything else Chromecast related though unless Google fixes the many existing problems that tie CCA to their own mesh system, own Chrome browser, own internet servers, and so on. I suspect that would go against their business plan, so I look forward to the day I can ditch every last one of my CCA for something better. In the meantime, I will use them, but I really have a love-hate relationship with them.

Also, Tidal does not play gapless on CCA. Terrible gaps ahead await you if you try. Using device casting works and is gapless, but not bit-perfect. And in that mode of operation, you are really casting from tidal -> smartphone -> chromecast. Ie. there are 2 wifi links involved in this mode.

Whereas by default with Tidal if you use the built-in cast support, you are just casting directly from Tidal to the chromecast, and in my setup there is no Wifi in the network at all (ethernet for the 7 CCA downstairs, powerline av + ethernet for the 8 CCA upstairs) - the tidal smartphone app only acts as controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page