QNAP and Plex - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 17
QNAP and Plex

Hey guys, I'm very new to this whole side of things so please go easy on me. I was loaned a QNAP TS-419P+ and told to try it out and if I like it I could buy it. So I was checking the Plex website last night(only looking, didnt have time to download/do anything) and found they have a recommended NAS page. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...lview?sle=true The closest one I can find to mine on their list says the CPU is below minimum recommended spec. I'm assuming that means its too slow to do the work.

The whole goal of mine is to get movies(both DVD and BluRay) saved onto the QNAP as well as TV shows. Then be able to watch them on either the TV upstairs(nothing special but I can get specs if its important) and on the projector downstairs. TV upstairs has a bluray player hooked up to it. Projector downstairs has XBOX 360, bluray player, and laptop that I use as HTPC(kinda)

So I guess I have a couple questions. Is this QNAP going to work for my intended use? If not can you easily/cheaply upgrade the CPU to make it work? Is there a better NAS for what I want to do? What are you guys using?

Thanks for your help and time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So we are talking about two things here, streaming and transcoding, they are not synonymous, in other words you don't have to transcode when you stream. You will need a player of some sorts to play the files stored on the NAS, the player will need to connect to your TV either directly via HDMI or to a surround sound receiver. I am not familiar with playing files through an Xbox 360 but if that works great if not another player connected to your projector will work too. I play files off two different NAS's one of them is a Qnap older than yours, they play fine through a Chromebox running Kodi. And yes, the Qnap will work fine for what you want to do, I happen to own one of those models too, they are great.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Paradigm Home Speaker set 5.1 Cinema 100
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

That was my hope, I could use the laptop thats hooked up downstairs and buy a Roku or something for upstairs tv.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just bought a TS-251 and I run Plex. Not had any issues so far. Works better than I expected. I used to have a Windows PC as a Plex server but now I use that for other things as the QNAP has taken over.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I know this is a dumb question but bear with me. I would like to watch like a 2min or so video in full 1080P from the QNAP to my projector. I dont have a dvd or bluray burner yet. Whats the easiest way to download and save one to the qnap?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have a MUCH beefier QNAP NAS with a quad-core 2Ghz Intel Celeron and 8GB DDR3. Even that thing doesn't like transcoding loads overly much. I avoid this problem by making sure my content is already in a format that my devices can consume without transcoding. The only other alternative is to put Plex on a separate computer and just use the NAS for storage, which is what a lot of people do.

Scott
post #7 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
Ok, I know this is a dumb question but bear with me. I would like to watch like a 2min or so video in full 1080P from the QNAP to my projector. I dont have a dvd or bluray burner yet. Whats the easiest way to download and save one to the qnap?
I don't quite understand the question, do you already have the 2min video on the QNAP or do you need to create it from some source like a bluray or DVD? As I mentioned earlier in my post, you need some sort of player in between your projector and your NAS, the player has to be on the same network (preferably wired) as your NAS and there has to be a physical connection between your projector and the player, usually HDMI.

For example, my setup at home is like this:

Wired network, Asus Chromebox running Kodi connected to wired network and my home theatre surround sound receiver via HDMI. My projector is connected to my surround sound receiver. My Chromebox is able to access files on my NAS over the network and play them through the projector.

Make sense?

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #8 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

My mistake, I have too many things going through my mind at once. I currently have the QNAP, Toshiba laptop(kinda HTPC), and one bluray player wired to the network. The bluray player upstairs is wireless for now. If I make all this clear in my mind, the QNAP will be for storage only and I will use the Laptop downstairs and a Roku (or something similar in the future) upstairs. As I read and write this is appears I am making much ado about nothing. The laptop/Roku/amazon stick will do all the work. The QNAP only provides the source. Does this sound correct? If so, My apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post
I don't quite understand the question, do you already have the 2min video on the QNAP or do you need to create it from some source like a bluray or DVD? As I mentioned earlier in my post, you need some sort of player in between your projector and your NAS, the player has to be on the same network (preferably wired) as your NAS and there has to be a physical connection between your projector and the player, usually HDMI.

For example, my setup at home is like this:

Wired network, Asus Chromebox running Kodi connected to wired network and my home theatre surround sound receiver via HDMI. My projector is connected to my surround sound receiver. My Chromebox is able to access files on my NAS over the network and play them through the projector.

Make sense?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 04:14 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track, yes, good luck and have fun!

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #10 of 10 Old 10-31-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks, now to try and get video over there. Gotta find me a bluray burner and a way to get OTA shows recorded...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page