Official Apple-TV (Gen4, ATV5,3 - 2015) Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 112 Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Arrow My Apple-TV 4th-Gen (2015) Setup Thread

I thought I would start a separate thread for the setup of my new AppleTV 4th-Generation (ATV4), and its intergration into my Home Theater system. Here is the main support page.

It seems significantly different than previous units with it's new Apple tvOS. There is a new AppStore section and Apple App-Type (AFAIK, iOS and/or OSx Apps will not run on it). We will have to be patient as all new Apps are written for it. Seems to be heading in exciting new directions. I've been told the Model-Identifier of current shipping model is 5,3.

I think of myself as a Windows user, but I now carry an iPhone-5. I also own a Mac and some iPads. For consumers, this Apple stuff is looking pretty nice. I have a Kodi-14 box, but it doesn't play all DRM services. I even own an Android tablet (not impressed, but serves it's function). Anyway, I wanted my first, stand-alone media-streamer.

Personally, I'm not looking to get rid of my Kodi box or my TW-Cable any time soon. I prefer BluRays so I can get the full HD Video and 7.1 audio. I rip my favorite CDs as .WAV, and DVDs as full VIDEO_TS Folders. I have Amazon Prime (Video and now Music). I have a few iTunes Music and Video purchases, but I'm not looking to re-buy everything again or build-up a large "owned" Apple iTunes library.

I got the 64gb model and have it connected via HDMI to my main Home Theater (listed below). I have it wired Ethernet to Gigabit switch (Airplay seems to work fine without ATV4 being connected by actual WiFi). So far, I have setup a "Use Apple-TV" Activity on my Harmony Remote and programmed the Siri-Remote to control the volume on my Onkyo-Amp directly. I loaded some Apps and games. It's working fine.

I thought we could share software, hardware, and usage tips. Thinking HT-integration and even things like HomeKit as the Apple-EcoSystem evolves.

My Current ATV4 Objectives:
- Analog audio to Onkyo Zone-2 (parallel, without disturbing HDMI signal)
- VNC connection or Reverse AirPlay (see and config ATV4 from Mac or Windows PC)
- Playing of more kinds of local media directly from NAS
- App Folders (like on iOS devices)

Long Range or Rumored
- Apple Movies & TV subscription service (Like Apple-Music or NetFlix)
- Live Network TV
- Amazon Prime Video & Music (native App, without AirPlay) ... it's already on iOS
- An Ultra-Violet capable App
- HomeKit (Home Automation)

More Links:
Bodosom's original Apple-TV thread.
Apple TV 4 vs. Roku 3, Fire TV and Nvidia Shield
Compare Apple-TV Gen3 and Gen4 Specs
Apple Tv Gen4 Review Roundup

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; Today at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Based on the AppleTV forum at Apple the 4th gen device has caused a great disturbance in the force. There should be a FAQ to soothe the ruffled feathers.

The 4th gen software update page is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205444
post #3 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I've already returned mine

post #4 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 964
I'm waiting till early next year to buy mine.
post #5 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Be nice to get some more streaming apps Like Vudu and SLing TV , I'm using sling on My Xbox one and the app is horrible, constantly buffers, I then went to my ATV4, used the ESPN app to watch the game last night and it was perfect. But 3rd parties need to work on video and especially Audio Streaming Apps like Pandora etc
post #6 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I've already returned mine
This is an "owners" thread right? (old one, I know)

Mine is awesome. I love it, but I do have some wishes. I can see the forest through the trees, and $200 is not enough money for me to need back into my budget such that I would return the product...unless I just wanted to be in the crowd that likes to post "I returned mine". I don't need the money and I know it will only improve over time as they collect feedback and push out updates, and the app store grows. I understand how some folks may have to make decisions based on resources.

I am hoping for more surround options - or if there was a way the ATV4 could just pass through the signal and let my AVR take care of decoding. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why/how/what they did with the surround change and now have chalked it all up to DD5.1 (still) works just fine and there is extremely limited DD+7.1 content (I have a 7.1 system) available for the ATV4 (unlike 4k content, where there is very limited options for anyone on any device).

I want all my movies (itunes purchases AND blu-ray rips AND home movies - the latter 2 are on an iMac) in one place with a nice user interface. That user interface can look like the iTunes movie section, or Plex....but not Homeshare. Plex wont play my iTunes purchases and iTunes movie section wont show me my blu-ray rips...and homeshare's interface bites.

Single cable provider sign-in/validation, expansion of siri search would be nice and I see these coming some day hopefully. I would also love a broadcast app that could talk to a wireless HD OTA antenna.

I really like the overall feel of it and the touch function on the remote is smooth. I love being able to zip back and forth in video. My kids like the games - I see a lot more growth potential there as well....again,
  • Forest through the trees
  • Dont need the $200 back
  • Apple is pushing out updates
  • App development for tvos is new and growing daily.
  • All kinds of cool potential here, and generally a good product for the price (how much are iPhones/pads/pods?)
Thanks for starting this owners thread specific to the ATV4 so us owners can discuss owning the ATV4.
Gary J, K-Wood and mtbdudex like this.
post #7 of 112 Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Adding to Harmony 670

Still using Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7.7.0 for Windows. Should be similar on other models. Lets me press one button to turn everything On or Off. While on, I use Siri-Remote. This is from my notes:

Add Device:
From the Harmony Remote desktop Software
- Select "Computer/ Media Center PC " for the type of Device
- - Manufacturer is Apple. Model is "Apple TV"
- Rename Device to "Apple TV" if needed

Add Activity:
Add Activity, Yes-Auto,
Play Game
Use my Apple TV
Display = Plasma
Sound = Onkyo
Onkyo Input = Game (HDMI 4)
After Done and Finish, rename Activity to "Use Apple-TV"

To learn the Amp's volume on the Siri-Remote, I just used the Apple-TV's Settings menu. Using the main volume buttons on Onkyo's Remote ... I followed the simple procedure.

So, I use the Harmony 670 to Power-up-Everything & Switch-Inputs ... and then I pickup the Siri-Remote. HDMI-CEC is still off everywhere (since I'm pretty sure that turning in on would break Harmony functionality somewhere). Siri-Remote controls ATV4 and volume at AVR.

Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-19-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 112 Old 11-27-2015, 11:22 AM
bdy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Inside Out iTunes Movie Not Streaming

Has anyone else been able to get Inside Out to stream smoothly? I purchased it via iTunes the week before I bought the Apple TV 4 and it streamed fine via the prior Apple TV. My kids love the movie. After I bought the new Apple TV 4 and swapped out the old one, I have tried numerous times but that one particular purchased iTunes movie will not stream. It only runs for a few minutes and then basically hangs. I've read that Antman does this as well but I don't own that one. Curious about others' experience with this movie. BTW, the movies I have ripped and stored in iTunes stream fine. This is the only movie that I can't run on the new Apple TV. Of course, it happens to be my kids' favorite movie at the moment....
post #9 of 112 Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdy View Post
Has anyone else been able to get Inside Out to stream smoothly? I purchased it via iTunes ... that one particular purchased iTunes movie will not stream. It only runs for a few minutes and then basically hangs. ....

Some trouble-shooting:
- Ethernet wire or WiFi?
- Results from SpeedTest.net App running on ATV4
- How does it stream from other Apple device?
- Does any other newer iTunes movie stream similarly and poorly?

post #10 of 112 Old 11-28-2015, 06:07 AM
bdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Some trouble-shooting:
- Ethernet wire or WiFi?
- Results from SpeedTest.net App running on ATV4
- How does it stream from other Apple device?
- Does any other newer iTunes movie stream similarly and poorly?
WiFi connection is 5 bars just as it was with the older Apple TV in the same location. Speedtest shows 59 MB/second. I don't buy very many itunes movies so I don't have any others to compare to at the moment, just Inside Out. All other movies and music that I have ripped into iTunes have been streaming fine on it just as they did on the older Apple TV. Others are reporting problems with this movie as well on the new Apple TV. I'm sure Apple will fix it at some point.
post #11 of 112 Old 11-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I picked on up after seeing Air Video HD (AVHD) in action for it and loving that app on my other iOS devices. I'm now sold on the ATV4 if for nothing else as my WDTV replacement now. Those boxes were all going downhill and unreliable at best.

The AVHD interface is pretty plain-jane compared to Plex and I'm sure it doesn't do iTunes stuff, but for connecting to my 20 TB of movies, this thing is awesome. It has been rock solid the past few weeks using it, and I love the scrubbing interface, near instant and shows me the PIP real-time of where it scrubs to.

Audio formats are probably not as robust, but it still plays multi-channel (multi-in on X2000), and looks like it currently has a 20Mbit conversion rate limit, but given how smoothly and consistently it works, I could live with those limitations.
post #12 of 112 Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always avoided HDMI-CEC in the past, but it seems to be working alright on my system. The only annoyance I have at the moment is requiring the TV to be on while playing music. When I am just listening to music, I like to turn the TV off. With HDMI-CEC enabled, this now shuts everything off. I have tried every combination of "Power Off Control" and other HDMI control settings on my receiver (Pioneer VSX-32) and TV (Pioneer 500m), but I can't seem to figure it out.

Is is possible to enjoy the benefits of HDMI-CEC and be able to just shut off the TV? Does anyone else have this usage case, or is it just me?
post #13 of 112 Old 11-28-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoll View Post
I always avoided HDMI-CEC in the past, but it seems to be working alright on my system. The only annoyance I have at the moment is requiring the TV to be on while playing music. When I am just listening to music, I like to turn the TV off. With HDMI-CEC enabled, this now shuts everything off. I have tried every combination of "Power Off Control" and other HDMI control settings on my receiver (Pioneer VSX-32) and TV (Pioneer 500m), but I can't seem to figure it out.

Is is possible to enjoy the benefits of HDMI-CEC and be able to just shut off the TV? Does anyone else have this usage case, or is it just me?
I briefly entered HDMI hell with my Apple TV and Denon X2000 where every button push on the apple remote made the HDMI switch/flash and blank the screen (isolated from TV by running ATV4 through TV successfully). Turning off HDMI-CEC was the only way out of it. Gladly traded volume control for that sweet slice of hell.
post #14 of 112 Old 11-29-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post
... Gladly traded volume control for that sweet slice of hell.
Using the volume controls on the Siri remote doesn't require CEC. It would appear they have a resonably large library of volume controls because per Apple "Your Apple TV (4th generation) should automatically set up your remote to control volume on your television or receiver, even without HDMI-CEC support." and that was the case with my Denon.
post #15 of 112 Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
there is extremely limited DD+7.1 content (I have a 7.1 system) available for the ATV4
@meegwell I think we'll see DD+7.1 slowly roll out for iTunes content. (I noticed the new Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation is 7.1.) Will be interesting to see if Apple re-submits older titles with DD+ (I would think so... eventually).

Quote:
I briefly entered HDMI hell with my Apple TV and Denon X2000
@Darknyt During early betas, I was unable to use HDMI with my Yamaha AVR *at all*. Bug reports were submitted and eventually support for the Yamaha was fixed. So make sure to file reports/feedback with Apple because...

...the thing to remember is this is a 1.0 version of essentially what is a brand new product. New hardware and OS means these are the early days. There will be issues to sort out and features that would seem obvious to include (like app folders or comprehensive Siri support) will make their way to the platform in due time.

Jeff Perrin
Author - Surround Speaker Check app for tvOS and the new Apple TV
post #16 of 112 Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WiFi connection is 5 bars just as it was with the older Apple TV in the same location. Speedtest shows 59 MB/second. I don't buy very many itunes movies so I don't have any others to compare to at the moment, just Inside Out. All other movies and music that I have ripped into iTunes have been streaming fine on it just as they did on the older Apple TV. Others are reporting problems with this movie as well on the new Apple TV. I'm sure Apple will fix it at some point.

I've found that streaming high-bitrate HD (1080p/5.1/7.1) content and WiFi don't mix well. WiFi is great for portable devices, but Apple-TV is a stationary device. I took the extra time to run a real Ethernet cable to mine.

Since there is no way to store movie in local ATV4 storage, I suggest a long Ethernet cable for temporarily testing a real network connection through the hallway.

post #17 of 112 Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Definitely avoid using wifi for video streaming if you can, all of my streaming problems on previous ATVs vanished once I went to wired ethernet.

I've had the ATV4 for three weeks now, it's definitely in need of a few software upgrades but overall the experience hasn't been bad. The most glaring thing to me is that my 1st gen Fire TV seems to keep up with it just fine in the features dept, in fact if Plex just worked correctly on that device I would have abandoned the ATV platform altogether. I don't use or like the Apple remote since I already have the excellent Logitech Harmony Home, so far I've been using my previous device settings which work OK on the new ATV except for the annoying way it wants to fast forward and rewind using the touch controls rather than traditional IR functions. This is most noticeable in Plex, which is admittedly a 3rd party app.

By far the most ridiculous problem with the ATV is its lack of bluetooth keyboard support. Somewhere into the 6th time I was having to manually enter usernames and passwords with that hideous default keyboard on the siri remote I nearly boxed the whole thing up and just sent it back, it is inexcusable for them to remove support for one of their own devices. Clearly they didn't properly beta test this model, very few techies would have failed to point this out. Even within just the Apple ecosystem you have to manually enter your apple ID three times to get the unit running: initial setup, turning on home sharing, and downloading anything from the iTunes store.
post #18 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagga mcdaddy View Post

By far the most ridiculous problem with the ATV is its lack of bluetooth keyboard support. Somewhere into the 6th time I was having to manually enter usernames and passwords with that hideous default keyboard on the siri remote I nearly boxed the whole thing up and just sent it back, it is inexcusable for them to remove support for one of their own devices. Clearly they didn't properly beta test this model, very few techies would have failed to point this out. Even within just the Apple ecosystem you have to manually enter your apple ID three times to get the unit running: initial setup, turning on home sharing, and downloading anything from the iTunes store.
Try using the remote app on an iPhone or iPad.

I have a few of the 3rd gen models and they fit my needs well enough. Still on the fence with this one because I'm not sure what more it will get me. I feel like airplay streaming of video sources off my iPhone provides enough options. I was concerned that it didn't have IR for my harmony, but now that seems to not be the case. What about optical audio out? If that's gone, I won't be able to use it on my main system. I depend on that for airplay audio streaming.

If I could encode videos for it with a higher bitrate, that could add some value, but the larger problem is really the constant 60Hz. I generally prefer to watch on my Samsung's internal apps for smoother playback. I assume this is still the case in the 4th generation.

For how inexpensive it is, I'll probably just buy one to try it out soon enough. Worst case, it gets attached to a monitor in my office and used for casual watching/gaming.
post #19 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wharton View Post
Try using the remote app on an iPhone or iPad.
Hi & welcome to the forum.
fyi, The remote app does not (yet) work with the ATV4.

And yes, optical audio out is gone, but some have worked around this with an hdmi audio extractor.

Last edited by thebard; 12-01-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #20 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Hi & welcome to the forum.
fyi, The remote app does not (yet) work with the ATV4.

And yes, optical audio out is gone, but some have worked around this with an hdmi audio extractor.
Thanks! I've been creeping for a decade or more, I just don't think I ever posted much and decided to start fresh with connecting my Facebook account.

ugh on the remote app! thanks for the helpful info. I use my tv as an HDMI switch and really don't want to have it on just to listen to iPhone music sources. I'm into HiFi more than home theater, so I have two speakers, a stereo tube amp, DAC and phono pre. I keep it simple!
post #21 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wharton View Post
ugh on the remote app!
Yes... interesting take on it here:
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2015/11/a...ugh-on-purpose

Get ready to sell your Nintendo stock...
post #22 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone else been able to get Inside Out to stream smoothly?
I rented I.O. from iTunes and wasn't able to play it at all. It was in RENTALS but clicking on it presents a black screen and then a jump to the top level of Computers. The ATV4gen does a transaction with Akamai and then stops. On the ATV3 the initial transaction is followed by streaming it from the iTunes server which downloaded the movie again.

I'm not sure that I've tried a rental prior to this. Certainly my purchases play correctly.
post #23 of 112 Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Yes... interesting take on it here:
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2015/11/a...ugh-on-purpose

Get ready to sell your Nintendo stock...

I didn't even really buy it for games. I mean ... I have nice Win7-AMD box with Kodi and Steam on it (but rarely play games on it). I play my PC games in office.

Surprisingly, I think we have spent as much time playing Asphalt-8 Racing ... as watch videos on this ATV4. Even the wife likes it and is racing now. Thinking of buying Manticore.

post #24 of 112 Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 PM
bdy

Tried Inside Out this week and it streamed ok through the entire movie. Apple TV software is still the same version. Strange. Streaming with the previous Apple TV is rock solid in our house.
post #25 of 112 Old 12-08-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Along with the usual suspects Apple released a new version of tvOS today. The release supports the iOS Remote app (which does not require an iOS 9.2 update) and Siri in Music. The "release" notes haven't been posted to the software update as yet.

It was also recently reported that Apple changed the Computer app to suport local shuffle. If so (and I do see the option) Apple apps don't honor the no auto-update flag.

Last edited by bodosom; 12-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #26 of 112 Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Powering-Up or Waking-Up

After Harmony turns on HT system with Apple-TV Activity ... Siri-Remote's swipe-pad doesn't work.

I just press Siri-Remote's Menu button 3 times (1-2 seconds apart). This takes a trip to Screen-Saver and I also get a "Remote Connected" notifications.

Are you all seeing the same or figured-out a shorted start-up procedure?

EDIT: Well, now seems that one-press of Display button works now. Guess that's sufficiently easy enough.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 12-10-2015 at 01:41 PM.
post #27 of 112 Old 12-10-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Along with the usual suspects Apple released a new version of tvOS today. The release supports the iOS Remote app (which does not require an iOS 9.2 update) and Siri in Music. The "release" notes haven't been posted to the software update as yet.

It was also recently reported that Apple changed the Computer app to suport local shuffle. If so (and I do see the option) Apple apps don't honor the no auto-update flag.

Hmm, there was an update for me. After reboot, it still says tvOS 9.1 (13U85) ... and software is up-to-date.

EDITED

Last edited by Tesla1856; 12-10-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: additional version numbers
post #28 of 112 Old 12-10-2015, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Current Media Center Apps

According to my research, this is what I came up with. Any others I should know about?

Plex
Infuse
MrMC

I guess LocalCast doesn't make it to the short list because it's not seeing my Synology NAS's SMB-Shares.

Once we come up with the contenders, I thought we could discuss the features and/or best one. Personally, I need it to play MP3, WAV, MKV, AVI. Also VIDEO_TS (DVD) Folders. Common audio formats like AC3/DD, DTS, etc. All-in-all, nothing fancy really.

post #29 of 112 Old 12-10-2015, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Along with the usual suspects Apple released a new version of tvOS today. The release supports the iOS Remote app (which does not require an iOS 9.2 update)

Ok, that seems to work (kinda).

In ATV4, I got these successfully added

iPhone-5 (iOS 9.1)
iPad-2 (iOS 9.1)

... but noting is listed to be played. Do I have to setup Home Sharing? If so, on my Win-7 machine (where I run iTunes) or only on my MacMini ? Is there no way to reach Synology NAS directly?

post #30 of 112 Old 12-11-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dolby Digital Plus

I have both an Amazon Fire TV and the new Apple TV. If I set the Amazon Fire TV to "Dolby Digital Plus" and then play a program that's encoded that way, my receiver will display "Dolby Digital + 5/2.1"

If I play the same program on the Apple TV and its set to "Auto", my receiver shows "PCM 3/2.1". If I set it to "Dolby Surround", the receiver shows "Dolby Digital 3/2.1".

The Apple TV specs say it does Dolby Digital Plus, but I see no evidence of that. So what is it doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming