Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1294Likes

post #4201 of 5098 Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 186
LOL....I hardly think it's off topic for people to do comparisons to other players, especially since we have someone here who claims the dune solo has "flawless BD ISO playback"! :-)

And for god's sake, stop taking this stuff so serious! :-) We are all enthusiasts here and there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing opinions! I have a lot of respect for you as you helped me set up my server stuff YEARS ago but lately you seem to be of the mind if you don't absolutely love the Dune Solo, you must be a spawn of satan!

(besides, that other thread you created will shortly be removed by the Gods of AVS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5098 Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash71 View Post
Now I have enough posts to include links
I do not yet. Thanks for the patterns anyway. I don't have Solo 4k or any other 4K stuff. Instead I have Dunes 102 which are more than enough for my needs so I'm happy with them.

But for those watching 4K panels the problem under discussion can be looking alarming (if confirmed) as this is a manifestation of substantial defect in the Solo's firmware. This is strange virtually no buzz about it over here despite the problem has reported long time ago. So I've checked your patterns (just out of curiosity) and may I put some comments?

The clipping patterns are excellent but if we really would like to obtain meaningful results it is crucial to use appropriate patterns. In this case (correct me if I'm wrong) all the 4K patterns are in H264 (base@L5.1) while for H264 Dune Solo 4K supports only up to HP@L4.2 (similar to the older boxes). It's definitely specced for 4K but that content is supposed to be encoded using H265 (HEVC), not H264. So in my opinion the results can be questioned.
post #4203 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
Good news about reporting the bug, but I don't hold out much hope of Dune fixing the issue. I reported the issue to Dune a long time ago.
But let's not overblow the significance of the issue. The workaround solves the problem As for all the other discussions about the best media player etc. I can only say that so far, the Dune Solo 4K player has played every blu-ray title without any issues with full menus and video quality compares to the Panasonic DMP-UB900. No issue with cinavia and no need to be restricted to jailbreak firmware.
blackssr and jconjason like this.

post #4204 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiisi View Post
I do not yet. Thanks for the patterns anyway. I don't have Solo 4k or any other 4K stuff. Instead I have Dunes 102 which are more than enough for my needs so I'm happy with them.

But for those watching 4K panels the problem under discussion can be looking alarming (if confirmed) as this is a manifestation of substantial defect in the Solo's firmware. This is strange virtually no buzz about it over here despite the problem has reported long time ago. So I've checked your patterns (just out of curiosity) and may I put some comments?

The clipping patterns are excellent but if we really would like to obtain meaningful results it is crucial to use appropriate patterns. In this case (correct me if I'm wrong) all the 4K patterns are in H264 (base@L5.1) while for H264 Dune Solo 4K supports only up to HP@L4.2 (similar to the older boxes). It's definitely specced for 4K but that content is supposed to be encoded using H265 (HEVC), not H264. So in my opinion the results can be questioned.
There's no mistaking the red oversaturation issue, if your 4K TV has issues with 4:2:2 and you don't need test patterns to confirm there's a problem, it's so obvious. The test patterns merely serve to clarify it.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 01-23-2017 at 04:18 AM.
post #4205 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
There's no mistaking the red oversaturation issue, if your 4K TV has issues with 4:2:2 and you don't need test patterns to confirm there's a problem, it's so obvious. The test patterns merely serve to clarify it.
For sure it can be the case. But why not everyone is noticing it? For me, the story looks confusing and that makes it interesting. Could you clarify if you checked by yourself that the device is really sending 12-bit 4:2:2 over HDMI or this is only based on what Dune is saying?

As for the 4K patterns, I've tried them on my Win 10 PC. With the default player, the green stripe is solid and uniform, no banding at all (so the green channel seems clipped). But with mpc-hc the pattern is displayed correctly. So the software can make a difference. You can't switch software on dune but it'll make sense to create a test pattern that is within the dune's declared capabilities. 4K in H264 is out of the capabilities so the results from that test are irrelevant
post #4206 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
For sure it can be the case. But why not everyone is noticing it? For me, the story looks confusing and that makes it interesting. Could you clarify if you checked by yourself that the device is really sending 12-bit 4:2:2 over HDMI or this is only based on what Dune is saying?

As for the 4K patterns, I've tried them on my Win 10 PC. With the default player, the green stripe is solid and uniform, no banding at all (so the green channel seems clipped). But with mpc-hc the pattern is displayed correctly. So the software can make a difference. You can't switch software on dune but it'll make sense to create a test pattern that is within the dune's declared capabilities. 4K in H264 is out of the capabilities so the results from that test are irrelevant
The issue seems to only affect certain 4K TV models. It has been reported by a number of users on the forum. I have to take Dune's word that setting 8bit will send 4:4:4 to the TV, I don't have any way to check this, but it certainly doesn't correct the issue for me. The Dune Solo 4K is connected to an AV Amp which is set to pass through and the TV doesn't report what it is receiving, other than basic resolution info. I also verified that the issue occurs even when the Dune is directly connected to the TV to eliminate the AV Amp.
post #4207 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
MKV Forced Audio

Hi,

I have an MKV file that contains an English audio track and a Japanese audio track. I changed the default Audio using MKVToolNix MKV Header Editor to change the default audio to Japanese. I also change the Forced Audio flag to Yes for the Japanese track. Dune does not seem to respect the Forced Audio flag. Does anyone is having the same issue? Is it a known issue or is not supported?

Thanks.
post #4208 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The issue seems to only affect certain 4K TV models. It has been reported by a number of users on the forum. I have to take Dune's word that setting 8bit will send 4:4:4 to the TV, I don't have any way to check this, but it certainly doesn't correct the issue for me. The Dune Solo 4K is connected to an AV Amp which is set to pass through and the TV doesn't report what it is receiving, other than basic resolution info. I also verified that the issue occurs even when the Dune is directly connected to the TV to eliminate the AV Amp.
The community is large but based on the information from this thread the list of affected models includes two items so far:

-Panasonic DX902
-LG B6

Dune can state one thing or another speculating on possible cause but after all it's a tiny business and I'm afraid they'll be reluctant to get a samples for that two models for testing. Because there can be a factors related to the firmware and market versions so the chances are the problem is difficult to reproduce. Who knows what exactly is going on in your particular case. So the more info is published here the better, I think.

Is there a way with your AV Amp to display input signal information on the TV screen (a common feature for AV receivers)?

Did you tried to configure any deep color mode on your dune (in DC the output is always 4:4:4)?
post #4209 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I just need ANYDVD HD to get in gear. I see no reason to buy 5 UHD TVs until we have a sustainable ripping solution for UHD media. I do not stream anything nor do I have the desire to. I guess I can string all the 4K demos together to make my own 4K movie.
I am not ready to part with my Panny Plasma tvs lol. I am fine worse case using a BR player (Xbox 1 S) for UHD for one room (going old school with the whole physical disc process lol). I am still a few years away at minimum before building a home theater in my basement, so hopefully all these questions will be addressed by then (as long as it involved kick ass Dune players!)

Side note, I have been running 2 Dune HD SOLO 4ks since they came out without a hiccup. For me, this has been pretty much my experience with all the dune players I own.
blackssr and Seryl like this.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4210 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I am not ready to part with my Panny Plasma tvs lol. I am fine worse case using a BR player (Xbox 1 S) for UHD for one room (going old school with the whole physical disc process lol). I am still a few years away at minimum before building a home theater in my basement, so hopefully all these questions will be addressed by then (as long as it involved kick ass Dune players!)

Side note, I have been running 2 Dune HD SOLO 4ks since they came out without a hiccup. For me, this has been pretty much my experience with all the dune players I own.
I wish I had a basement. I am in South Florida, if I had a basement it would be under water!

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #4211 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski View Post
Hi,

I have an MKV file that contains an English audio track and a Japanese audio track. I changed the default Audio using MKVToolNix MKV Header Editor to change the default audio to Japanese. I also change the Forced Audio flag to Yes for the Japanese track. Dune does not seem to respect the Forced Audio flag. Does anyone is having the same issue? Is it a known issue or is not supported?

Thanks.

If there was nothing in the changelog:
Neither forced nor default flags are being honored for audio via mkv playback. So nothing wrong on your end. The Solo 4K decides from the selected language option in the settings menu which language will be played.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 01-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.
post #4212 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The community is large but based on the information from this thread the list of affected models includes two items so far:

-Panasonic DX902
-LG B6

Dune can state one thing or another speculating on possible cause but after all it's a tiny business and I'm afraid they'll be reluctant to get a samples for that two models for testing. Because there can be a factors related to the firmware and market versions so the chances are the problem is difficult to reproduce. Who knows what exactly is going on in your particular case. So the more info is published here the better, I think.

Is there a way with your AV Amp to display input signal information on the TV screen (a common feature for AV receivers)?

Did you tried to configure any deep color mode on your dune (in DC the output is always 4:4:4)?
You may not have read the earlier post, but I emailed Dune and they provided this information, pointing out that the only way to get 4:4:4 is to select 8bit. But that doesn't fix the red push issue when the Dune is upscaling, so it suggests to me that it is not sending 4:4:4:
HDMI 1.4 and Solo 4K allow to output 4K YCbCr as (1) 4:2:2 12-bit, (2) 4:4:4 8-bit. So if 8-bit is chosen in Setup / Video menu, the output is 4:4:4.
post #4213 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It's definitely specced for 4K but that content is supposed to be encoded using H265 (HEVC), not H264. So in my opinion the results can be questioned.
Generally H265 isn't mandatory for 4K, also according to Dune 4K specifications " 4K video playback: Decode 4K video content in all popular formats (including H.265 10-bit) "

But I converted the full HD pattern to 4K H265, same green clipping result as usual, except for RGB limited mode.

By the way the 4K pattern idea was to eliminate any upscale and confirm that the bug occurs on 4K output, with or without upscale.

I am really surprised that only Whirlpool0548 and me are the only ones annoyed by that, I am pretty sure that's not a TV problem but a Dune bug for everyone.

Can several people test this patterns too ? It won't take long https://mega.nz/#!IUFDQSzC!ancnDitBE...CwnR1XaTogs78s

If we are many to bother Dune with that issue, they'll work on it quickly.
post #4214 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are any of you guys having issues with Zapitti identifying files? I was just redoing my catalog because I just converted everything over to a Qnap. Dune can see the files and is identifying them, but when I go to the movie wall, all of the covers are blank. Also I do not see the export option to export the zapitti playlist. This might be the last straw with my use of zapitti. It's just become too much of a hassle to deal with. I am using Z version 3.0.1.0 btw.

Current setup: JVC RS55 - Marantz 7008 - Dune Solo 4K - Kodi/Chromebox - Cinema 10's LCR - Volt 10 Surrounds - Polk in wall rear & ceiling - eD A7-450
post #4215 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
Are any of you guys having issues with Zapitti identifying files? I was just redoing my catalog because I just converted everything over to a Qnap. Dune can see the files and is identifying them, but when I go to the movie wall, all of the covers are blank. Also I do not see the export option to export the zapitti playlist. This might be the last straw with my use of zapitti. It's just become too much of a hassle to deal with. I am using Z version 3.0.1.0 btw.
I am on 2.9.16.0. No issues to report. I thought this version is the last version to work with the Dunes? Is yours the online version? I never switched in 7 years. Took the upgrades but not version change.

post #4216 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I am on 2.9.16.0. No issues to report. I thought this version is the last version to work with the Dunes? Is yours the online version? I never switched in 7 years. Took the upgrades but not version change.
That's gotta be the problem then. I never updated my Z software. Wonder how it moved up to 3.0? Weird. I'll downgrade.

Current setup: JVC RS55 - Marantz 7008 - Dune Solo 4K - Kodi/Chromebox - Cinema 10's LCR - Volt 10 Surrounds - Polk in wall rear & ceiling - eD A7-450
post #4217 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
That's gotta be the problem then. I never updated my Z software. Wonder how it moved up to 3.0? Weird. I'll downgrade.
PM me if you need help. Good luck. I just helped my best friend migrate to a new server two weeks ago. We stayed on older version. I do not look for trouble. I never tried to back up Zappiti and import to new server. I did that with My Movies years ago, but never tried with Zappiti. Do you have custom Icons for Zappiti? I can send if you need them. Also that Wallpaper is Atmos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z Icons.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1915537  

Last edited by blackssr; 01-23-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #4218 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You may not have read the earlier post, but I emailed Dune and they provided this information, pointing out that the only way to get 4:4:4 is to select 8bit. But that doesn't fix the red push issue when the Dune is upscaling, so it suggests to me that it is not sending 4:4:4:
HDMI 1.4 and Solo 4K allow to output 4K YCbCr as (1) 4:2:2 12-bit, (2) 4:4:4 8-bit. So if 8-bit is chosen in Setup / Video menu, the output is 4:4:4.
That's correct. for 4K 4:4:4 HDMI1.4 does not provide enough bandwidth for color depths greater than 8.

Strictly speaking the spec defines four color depth values for deep color, 24 bits, 30 bits, 36 bits, and 48 bits. 24 bits corresponds to 8 bit per color and does not require faster clock. Consequently, from the signaling perspective it's possible to turn on the deep color mode for 8 bit/color. Not sure if the Sigma chip allows for such fine tuning

Again, that's just a theories which does not help to clarify if the box is sending in 422 or in 444. That can be easy identified using a receiver. Time to ask other owners to take part?

BTW early you'd said that the issue is related only to Dune while the other device based on similar chipset (PCH VTEN?) works fine with your TV. Correct?
post #4219 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
If you set the Dune to another language, it will play the audio tracks in order if the selected language on the Dune is not present on the file/ISO you are playing. I tested with an ISO that I created using BD Ripper. See attached picture. I re-ordered the audio tracks on the ISO I was creating and selected Italian in the Dune Settings. I use Zappiti for a front end, so the different language doesn't affect me. Since Italian is not one of the Audio tracks it will play the French Track by default because it is the first track. Not the best work- a -round but it works.

Here is the program if you want to create an ISO from your original:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25w69pxf0...4l27pcrka?dl=0

It should work with MKVs also but I never create MKVs so your mileage will vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).png
Views:	66
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1915625  
termite and a5ian300zx like this.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #4220 of 5098 Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Generally H265 isn't mandatory for 4K, also according to Dune 4K specifications " 4K video playback: Decode 4K video content in all popular formats (including H.265 10-bit) "

But I converted the full HD pattern to 4K H265, same green clipping result as usual, except for RGB limited mode.
Dune's specifications are crafted with great care. It's a sort of masterpiece. But there is more information about the Sigma SOC's capabilities (no link, sorry).

Are you sure the 4K patterns are in H265? Media Info says otherwise...

Also could you clarify what signal Dune transmits over HDMI when the bug is visible (YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2)?

Last edited by hiisi; 01-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
post #4221 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
That's correct. for 4K 4:4:4 HDMI1.4 does not provide enough bandwidth for color depths greater than 8.

Strictly speaking the spec defines four color depth values for deep color, 24 bits, 30 bits, 36 bits, and 48 bits. 24 bits corresponds to 8 bit per color and does not require faster clock. Consequently, from the signaling perspective it's possible to turn on the deep color mode for 8 bit/color. Not sure if the Sigma chip allows for such fine tuning

Again, that's just a theories which does not help to clarify if the box is sending in 422 or in 444. That can be easy identified using a receiver. Time to ask other owners to take part?

BTW early you'd said that the issue is related only to Dune while the other device based on similar chipset (PCH VTEN?) works fine with your TV. Correct?
There was a similar issue with the PCH VTEN , which was reported as being fixed. But I don't have this media player to try. Maybe another DX902 user with a VTEN could verify. Deep color is not amongst the settings on the Dune Solo4k.
post #4222 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Are you sure the 4K patterns are in H265? Media Info says otherwise...

Also could you clarify what signal Dune transmits over HDMI when the bug is visible (YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2)?
They are h264 but I did the test last night with h265 with the same result. In fact 4K doesn't matter, the clipping bug is on all files resolutions.

Sadly I have no way to know if the Dune output YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2
post #4223 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
If you set the Dune to another language, it will play the audio tracks in order if the selected language on the Dune is not present on the file/ISO you are playing. I tested with an ISO that I created using BD Ripper. See attached picture. I re-ordered the audio tracks on the ISO I was creating and selected Italian in the Dune Settings. I use Zappiti for a front end, so the different language doesn't affect me. Since Italian is not one of the Audio tracks it will play the French Track by default because it is the first track. Not the best work- a -round but it works.

Here is the program if you want to create an ISO from your original:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25w69pxf0...4l27pcrka?dl=0

It should work with MKVs also but I never create MKVs so your mileage will vary.
Thanks blackssr. The workaround worked for MKV.
post #4224 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks blackssr. The workaround worked for MKV.
Awesome. You are welcome.

post #4225 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

By the way the 4K pattern idea was to eliminate any upscale and confirm that the bug occurs on 4K output, with or without upscale.

I am really surprised that only Whirlpool0548 and me are the only ones annoyed by that, I am pretty sure that's not a TV problem but a Dune bug for everyone.

Can several people test this patterns too ? It won't take long https://mega.nz/#!IUFDQSzC!ancnDitBE...CwnR1XaTogs78s

Cool, Did you convert any other of the AVS709 clips to 4K?
I would love to get a hold of them if you are willing to share.

I'll test with them later tonight and let you know.
post #4226 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How does this affect real world viewing? We have no 4K content to play, so why all the effort and concern? I firmly believe by the time we have a sustainable ripping solution for UHD BDs we will be on a completely different generation of players. The progress on this is non existent and no one is talking about it at Redfox and DVDfab already bowed out. It looks pretty grim at this point. Downloads from torrents or creating our own with HDfury is not what I consider sustainable.
cTwining and mecmec like this.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-24-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #4227 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have three dune solo 4ks and they all seem to have the same problem - when a video is playing and it either ends by itself (file finished) or it ends because I push stop, the player always goes into some standby mode that is a solid black screen. If I push any button, it exits standby by then it is at the home screen and I need to re-navigate to my files.

This is very frustrating and makes it difficult for my other family members to use the players. It's driving me crazy.

Any ideas? This is enough to make me abandon dunes altogether (though I just got them to replace popcorn a500s that were giving me playback/audio troubles).
post #4228 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
They are h264 but I did the test last night with h265 with the same result. In fact 4K doesn't matter, the clipping bug is on all files resolutions.
BTW my experience with your patterns is different. Dune HD TV-102 (SMP8675). No clipping on all resolutions. 4K is perfectly downscaled to 2K.

Why I did so? Just to exercise my freedom
post #4229 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
How does this affect real world viewing? We have no 4K content to play, so why all the effort and concern? I firmly believe by the time we have a sustainable ripping solution for UHD BDs we will be on a completely different generation of players. The progress on this is non existent and no one is talking about it at Redfox and DVDfab already bowed out. It looks pretty grim at this point. Downloads from torrents or creating our own with HDfury is not what I consider sustainable.
We may disagree on some things, but on this point, we are on the same page...
Until there is a way to rip UHD, this is entirely a non issue to me..
blackssr likes this.
post #4230 of 5098 Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
I have three dune solo 4ks and they all seem to have the same problem - when a video is playing and it either ends by itself (file finished) or it ends because I push stop, the player always goes into some standby mode that is a solid black screen. If I push any button, it exits standby by then it is at the home screen and I need to re-navigate to my files.

This is very frustrating and makes it difficult for my other family members to use the players. It's driving me crazy.

Any ideas? This is enough to make me abandon dunes altogether (though I just got them to replace popcorn a500s that were giving me playback/audio troubles).
More info. What type of file? Where are you pulling from? Server, NAS? What did you use to create the file? AnyDVD, DVDFAB or MKV? Do all three do the same thing and did you update bios on all three? Are they hard wired over GB Lan or are attempting this wireless? What does the internal speed test show?

Last edited by blackssr; 01-24-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page