Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1292Likes

post #31 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Zlndoxkz

Sent fra min LG-H340n via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Predator - Brian

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Maybe I'm less picky and as robena pointed out, if you have your collection stored elsewhere, this box fits the bill. I don't need streaming 4K services from other providers, I already have devices for that.

My simple two disappointments: no 4K @60 and no support for pass through of DSD/SACD.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #33 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Also 4k hdr needs hdmi 2.0 spec I believe.

Ps on my nvidia shield with the latest beta build I can playback iso with menu it's not interactive ones but the few iso I have played back fine.

Vxp processing and dune codex playback and support is the two major factors.

I currently own hdi prime 3.0 dune and did own base3d but could not live without bluray menus for my calibration disc on iso.

T

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB

post #34 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Let me preface by saying I've been a huge Dune fan for a long time but, why would you buy this over the more capable Nvidia Shield? Serious question.

The only advantages that I'm seeing is the Blu-ray full menu (I'll be surprised if that works well) and the VXP video processor. I gave up on the Blu-ray ISO format long ago but, I really like the idea of the VXP. The list of disadvantages is much, much longer. HDMI 1.4 vs. 2.0, no 4K streaming from online providers, 1GB Ram vs. 3, 4GB flash memory vs. 16, no bluetooth vs. 4.1, support(?) and at $128 more? What am I missing?

Actually there is a lot of reasons. Shield does not do 3d. Shield PQ is horrible. There is a thread dedicated to how bad it is here https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/

The PQ problem is enough for me to never touch a shield at its current time.
post #35 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Actually there is a lot of reasons. Shield does not do 3d. Shield PQ is horrible. There is a thread dedicated to how bad it is here https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/

The PQ problem is enough for me to never touch a shield at its current time.
Ah, I didn't catch 3D but, I don't use 3D either. I've read the Shield thread and while the PQ is lacking I think "horrible" is gross exaggeration, especially since you don't own one. To answer your pre-edit question. If I were happy with the Shield I wouldn't have a Chromebox and an HTPC in the same HT currently. I've bought more streamers than I can recall and I'm very open-minded. Like I said I love Dunes! I was really excited to see this new Dune and then immediately disappointed with some of the already outdated specs, that's all. I must admit had this been available two years ago before I converted my entire library to MKV's I would be pretty excited but, I'm not doing that again. I'll leave this thread now since I know I'm out on this one. I don't like to see people get their Hanes all bunched up on my account.
post #36 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 215
For me i just need
1) Excellent picture quality
2) Play all my blu ray rips(mkv and iso movie only)
3) Decode hd audio to my tv speaker(no receiver)
4) Some sort of nice movie jukebox
post #37 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
For you, probably not much. For those who rip their BRs to ISOs having full menu support (something that is like a unicorn) would be a major bonus.
I agree. Full BR menu support would be huge bonus for me, if not the primary reason for my interest.

Could some Dune history buff remind me of the storied history of Full BR Menu support on Dune?

The Smart Series (D1/H1/B1) had it, right? And then there was some Dune model that had it, but killed it through an irreversible firmware upgrade? - or was it the Smart Series that had it killed by firmware? Does the Base 3D have it? I'm very confused. After Dune killed Full BR menu by firmware upgrade, I lost trust in them. I assume they would promise not to kill it this time in the SOLO.

Edit: I was mistaken about Dune killing ISO support through a firmware upgrade. It was the Oppo 93. Thanks to fatherom for the correct information.

Last edited by buttplug; 12-27-2015 at 12:28 PM.
post #38 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Double post sorry
post #39 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttplug View Post
I agree. Full BR menu support would be huge bonus for me, if not the primary reason for my interest.

Could some Dune history buff remind me of the storied history of Full BR Menu support on Dune?

The Smart Series (D1/H1/B1) had it, right? And then there was some Dune model that had it, but killed it through an irreversible firmware upgrade? - or was it the Smart Series that had it killed by firmware? Does the Base 3D have it? I'm very confused. After Dune killed Full BR menu by firmware upgrade, I lost trust in them. I assume they would promise not to kill it this time in the SOLO.
Others will correct me if I'm wrong on some details, but here's what I've experienced (when I say "ISO playback", I mean full BR menus):

I have a Dune Base 3.0 and two smart units. As far as I know, no firmware upgrade ever "took away" ISO playback. I never contemplated buying a Dune Base 3D, because I seem to remember them saying from the very beginning it wouldn't do ISO playback.

I can't recall reading about a certain version of f/w on one of the Dune units taking away ISO playback capability.

You may be thinking of the Oppo 93 (which I also own), where ISO playback was taken away. I keep my 93 on the old f/w for this very reason.

I also have an Oppo 103D running "rogue" f/w, which allows 2D and 3D ISO support with full menus, and allows it over the network (which the 93 can't do).

Chris
buttplug and mike1812 like this.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #40 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I remember right the Dunes had a license to play movie with full menus. After the Dune smart series came the copyright protection Cinavia was introduced. In order to play movies with full menus you needed a license and Cinavia had to be part of the hardware requirements. With Cinavia your player would detect you were playing a ripped copy and not the original. Thats why the Dunes after the Smart series didnt have full menu support.

Anyone feel free to add or fix my explanation if its not accurate.

ps I still think the Dunes Smart series has better picture quality than my Nuc with Kodi. At least to my eyes.
buttplug likes this.
post #41 of 5089 Old 12-26-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Ah, I didn't catch 3D but, I don't use 3D either. I've read the Shield thread and while the PQ is lacking I think "horrible" is gross exaggeration, especially since you don't own one. To answer your pre-edit question. If I were happy with the Shield I wouldn't have a Chromebox and an HTPC in the same HT currently. I've bought more streamers than I can recall and I'm very open-minded. Like I said I love Dunes! I was really excited to see this new Dune and then immediately disappointed with some of the already outdated specs, that's all. I must admit had this been available two years ago before I converted my entire library to MKV's I would be pretty excited but, I'm not doing that again. I'll leave this thread now since I know I'm out on this one. I don't like to see people get their Hanes all bunched up on my account.

No hard feelings but judging from your actions your were a little upset with me comment about the shield while it is true I do not own it I was 100% going to pull the trigger on it. The only things that held me back were the PQ and the remote control mapping issues. Which like yourself I have owned 100's of players from no name companies to huge companies. When I am putting down 200$+ which is a shield + a decent remote I am going to make sure I get my monies worth. Its just to many times I hear the same argument Shield is this mythical beast and while it is a beast of a machine its capabilities as a media player are not up to par as cheaper options. I just like to tell people the truth so they don't get burned as we have all been there done that.

As for this Dune model. Its a little to late and that is how it has been for the past couple of Dune models they have been putting something out that should have been out a year ago. The competition is already looking at HDMI2.0 with HDR and Dune is just coming out with a 4k30fps player. Maybe they are riding the coat tails so they get a fully working firmware at launch or maybe they are just slow its hard to say but recent DUNE is a shell of its old self.
post #42 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hey,

For my I have a nvidia shield tv and don't fine the picture bad at all but then I again I feed through a video processor anyway.

For me the shield tv is great but will get the hdi dune when it's released.

The best picture from a media player I had seen was from popcorn a410 with vxp processing.

I have owned and tested the following players so far.

Himedia q5 (Exellent picture quality)
Nvidia shield tv (all rounder minus some catchup)
Popcorn a410 (best picture with vxp)
Hdi dune base 3d (good but lacking bluray menu)
Intel fanless nuc i5 Haswell nuc kodi (very good but lack of 4k support)
Mede8er 1000x3d (good overall player with solid support but I did not like the picture much)

I am not into 3d but the best 3d player was mede8er 1000x3d.

I currently own nvidia shield tv and hdi dune prime 3 the rest I have sold off.

Ps: I have played some 3d demo on my shield which play fine (you sometimes have to switch to 3d mode manually on tv) along with hd audio on the new beta firmware. It has also played back my bluray iso with menus but not interactive menu etc.

Can test further.

This statement I found interesting.

Dual boot Linux + Android: Enjoy both Linux OS with full classic Dune HD media player functionality and newest Android OS and Android applications

This might give us the possibility of kodi or kodi gui.

T

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #43 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
For me i just need
1) Excellent picture quality
2) Play all my blu ray rips(mkv and iso movie only)
3) Decode hd audio to my tv speaker(no receiver)
4) Some sort of nice movie jukebox
Unfortunately I think #3 will be the issue, in particular with TrueHD mkvs.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #44 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Unfortunately I think #3 will be the issue, in particular with TrueHD mkvs.
What would be the cheapest solution to take #3 out the mix? I assumes a sound bar wouldn't help?
Side Note
I have also been playing with a Braswell NUC and especially looking at Ant Man the picture quality on my Dune Smart player is better than the NUC.
post #45 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What would be the cheapest solution to take #3 out the mix? I assumes a sound bar wouldn't help?
Side Note
I have also been playing with a Braswell NUC and especially looking at Ant Man the picture quality on my Dune Smart player is better than the NUC.
I got a sound bar for my TV in the family room. It can decode DTS(MA) and TrueHD so issue solved and I don't have to worry about getting no sound. Just make sure if you get a soundbar that it does state it can decode those formats as not all soundbars do that.

Cheers,
Damian

post #46 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
You may be thinking of the Oppo 93 (which I also own), where ISO playback was taken away. I keep my 93 on the old f/w for this very reason.

I also have an Oppo 103D running "rogue" f/w, which allows 2D and 3D ISO support with full menus, and allows it over the network (which the 93 can't do).

Chris
Thanks. You're correct, I had confused the Oppo 93 with Dune. I have corrected my prior post.
post #47 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I still think the Dunes Smart series has better picture quality than my Nuc with Kodi. At least to my eyes.
This is why I think that I like (liked?) Sigma-based players with a native OS that is based on the Sigma reference design. Video playback has to be a more direct and less layered process than with an android layer in the loop. Is this wrong?

It seems that there is no stopping media players in general from going all androidy. Even with these new ARM-based Sigma processors, the processor is subservient to android, no? The video just seems less "direct" in appearance compared to the old appliance-style media players of yore. It could also be that I'm just a confused old man and my eyesight is going.

Last edited by buttplug; 12-27-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #48 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttplug View Post
This is why I think that I like (liked?) Sigma-based players with a native OS that is based on the Sigma reference design. Video playback has to be a more direct and less layered process than with an android layer in the loop. Is this wrong?

It seems that there is no stopping media players in general from going all androidy. Even with these new ARM-based Sigma processors, the processor is subservient to android, no? The video just seems less "direct" in appearance compared to the old appliance-style media players of yore. It could also be that I'm just a confused old man and my eyesight is going.
I hope this new Dune keeps the same image quality or better.

The bottom darker image(too dark) is from my Braswell NUC the lighter one (top) is from my Dune Smart D1. I know image quality is hard to judge from pictures but the aging Dunes quality is better.
Have we seen the SMP8758 in anything else to compare pq?

Last edited by bluewhale1; 12-27-2015 at 01:36 PM.
post #49 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

same family as the popcorn vten. The vten runs the 8757 same chipset minus a core. so performance for audio/video will be the same as it has the same audio/video decoder setup.
post #50 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
same family as the popcorn vten. The vten runs the 8757 same chipset minus a core. so performance for audio/video will be the same as it has the same audio/video decoder setup.
I hope the US version doesnt get a crippled audio version.
buttplug likes this.
post #51 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I hope the US version doesnt get a crippled audio version.
My guess is that the SOLO won't have downmix. I'd pop for a VTEN now if I could learn about cross-upgrading the firmware, but my searching has turned up nothing.

Maybe I'll wait until the end of the first quarter of '16 to see what the SOLO reviews are like and also to see if Dune announces a flagship to this new line.
post #52 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have a HD Smart D1. I would love it if this has the same video quality, AND full menu support from .iso images. I'm highly interested.

SOUND: 7.2 via Marantz AV8802A | Wyred4Sound monoblocks + Halo A51 | Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's | Dual SVS SB16-ULTRA Subs
VIDEO:
SONY OLED 65A1E | OPPO UDP-203 and SONY UBP X800 UHD Blu Ray Players
- 40TB of Blu ray .iso's in a Synology DS1815+ controlled by a Dune Solo 4K
- HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-A, 16GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, Auzen HDMI XFi
post #53 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post
I have a HD Smart D1. I would love it if this has the same video quality, AND full menu support from .iso images. I'm highly interested.
Me too.
post #54 of 5089 Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

Quote:

The bottom darker image(too dark) is from my Braswell NUC the lighter one (top) is from my Dune Smart D1. I know image quality is hard to judge from pictures but the aging Dunes quality is better.

Looks like you are having level issues, make sure you are using 16-235 for both. This is harder to do with a htpc, but there are normally settings in the driver's for range of black level that clicks in the playback levels correctly.
post #55 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder what will be offered as far as a jukebox for this player? Non Android booting.
post #56 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder what will be offered as far as a jukebox for this player? Non Android booting.
I doubt anything, Dune will simply fall back on the 3rd party apps as the Jukebox solutions.

Cheers,
Damian

post #57 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I doubt anything, Dune will simply fall back on the 3rd party apps as the Jukebox solutions.
The question is which 3rd party vendors? Have they actively approached anyone one/group? I know we wont know the answers until its released. Do we know if they will be at CES 2016? Anyone here going?
post #58 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The question is which 3rd party vendors? Have they actively approached anyone one/group? I know we wont know the answers until its released. Do we know if they will be at CES 2016? Anyone here going?
I would guess the ones that work now (yaDIS, MyMovies, Zappiti). I know back in the day there was talk about having MyMovies fully integrated into the Dunes. My feeling though is that Dune will not make much of an effort on the UI/jukebox side, and just rely on the community to handle. Of course I would love to be proven wrong.

Cheers,
Damian

post #59 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would guess the ones that work now (yaDIS, MyMovies, Zappiti). I know back in the day there was talk about having MyMovies fully integrated into the Dunes. My feeling though is that Dune will not make much of an effort on the UI/jukebox side, and just rely on the community to handle. Of course I would love to be proven wrong.
So if you had to guess do you think the current Yadis/ Zappiti would still be compatible or would they have to redo the software from scratch? Fred L isn't doing anymore updates on Yadis from my understanding.
ps
It would be nice if Dune sent a review machine early to dbone1026 to review on your website

(Figured I would give it a shot lol)

Last edited by bluewhale1; 12-29-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #60 of 5089 Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So if you had to guess do you think the current Yadis/ Zappiti would still be compatible or would they have to redo the software from scratch? Fred L isn't doing anymore updates on Yadis from my understanding.
ps
It would be nice if Dune sent a review machine early to bone1026 to review on your website

(Figured I would give it a shot lol)
I think the compatibility lies in being able to read the xml/html (forget exactly what format they export) files created by those jukeboxes. If Dune keeps the same ability that the current Dunes have in the new Dune then it shouldn't be a problem (and I think they know it would be stupid to not have this work).

Haha, haven't done a review in a real long time, I hear players these days are using a cool new wire called HDMI
captainbrent likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page