Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1298Likes

post #2131 of 5113 Old 05-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Darbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This is a good start. Solo connected directly to the JVC RS600. 3D BD Full menu and BD Lite start the player in 3D mode with no other changes necessary.

I noticed now that the default player menu sync's to 3840x2160/30. This caused an issue when going from the Solo-> Denon 4311 -> RS600. It must be seeing the HDMI 2.x signal in the chain and won't work since the Denon is not UHD capable. I set the video resolution to 1080/59.94 and that solved the problem. It will auto sync to frame packed mode when playing the BD ISO or BD lite.

3D MVC MKV still plays in 2D, it would be great if they could fix this is a future update.

Does anyone here have a Darbee to test? I can't get the Darbee working with the Solo (this firmware or the 2 prior). I get the image but it's filled will a green image as if the color space is wrong. I tried several of the manual settings but can't seem to get it to work correctly with the Darbee.

I'll continue testing different 3D titles and also verify that it works on the older JVC RS46.
I was actually about to write a post about my Darbee experience. When I connected my Darbee, it put my RS55 into 3D top and bottom mode without me realizing it. The Dune gui looked fine, but whenever I played a file the image would appear washed out, and separated into three vertical segments. I have never used 3D on my pj, so I had no idea what was going on. I was worried something was wrong with my Solo. I removed the darbee and tried another file, same thing. When I checked the pj settings I noticed it was set to 3D mode top to bottom. I changed it to auto, and tested another file. Worked flawlessly. I have no idea how adding the Darbee put the pj into 3D mode. This is what it looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1452306  

Current setup: JVC RS55 - Marantz 7008 - Dune Solo 4K - Kodi/Chromebox - Cinema 10's LCR - Volt 10 Surrounds - Polk in wall rear & ceiling - eD A7-450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 5113 Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robus300 View Post
I already have over 50TB of Mac OS journaled (extended) drives I need to work with the solo. I feel (and Mike at Dune corroborates) that if they made it work in the D1, it should be easy to implement in the Solo.

Right now I have a useless Solo, so we had high hopes of Dune activating this in the newest firmware. I'd be extremely appreciative if it could be checked if they had incorporated that to the newest upgrade.

Again, mucho thx!
This is fixed. I rec'd confirmation from Mike@duneplayer.com. He tested at his facility and it is working. I cannot personally confirm this but I think Mike@duneplayer is trustworthy enough.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #2133 of 5113 Old 05-21-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
@ScottJ
@halfelite

Below are screen captures/photos of the same scene with subs turned on from the BD Engine. The scenes to the left are from Previous firmware dated April 14, 2016 and the scenes to the right are from the current firmware dated May 16, 2016. It may be difficult to see but the latest firmware shows the text to be cleaner and less jagged/truncated as the previous firmware. The BD lite sub quality is the same so I didn't bother to post again. The PQ, of the sub text, to my eyes is nearly identical in both engines now.
New subs look perfect. Kudos to the Dune team for all the fixes.
blackssr likes this.

post #2134 of 5113 Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This is a good start. Solo connected directly to the JVC RS600. 3D BD Full menu and BD Lite start the player in 3D mode with no other changes necessary.

I noticed now that the default player menu sync's to 3840x2160/30. This caused an issue when going from the Solo-> Denon 4311 -> RS600. It must be seeing the HDMI 2.x signal in the chain and won't work since the Denon is not UHD capable. I set the video resolution to 1080/59.94 and that solved the problem. It will auto sync to frame packed mode when playing the BD ISO or BD lite.

3D MVC MKV still plays in 2D, it would be great if they could fix this is a future update.

Does anyone here have a Darbee to test? I can't get the Darbee working with the Solo (this firmware or the 2 prior). I get the image but it's filled will a green image as if the color space is wrong. I tried several of the manual settings but can't seem to get it to work correctly with the Darbee.

I'll continue testing different 3D titles and also verify that it works on the older JVC RS46.
I vaguely remember reading something like this before in the darbee thread with some other media player. Had to do either with deep color being on or darbee wanting rgb but getting yuv....

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
post #2135 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
My Darbee works fine with deep color it's the 5000s model.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #2136 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Talking

Quote:
The PQ of the Solo rivals even the Oppos. It is that good. I am sure others will confirm that also. Definitely one the best PQ at press time.
Hi i wonder which has better PQ -PH A500 or this one ? Or how my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 look's over solo 4k ?

Panasonic TX-P65VT60 -ISF Calibration ,Panasonic DMP-BDT500 , ONKYO TX-NR929 ,VU+DUO 2- QUAD SAT TUNER, Humax ICord HD x2 , Novatron NTR82 ,DUNE HD SOLO 4K , DALI 850 ,CANTON Chrono 501.2- x4 , DALI MENTOR LCR, DALI LEKTOR 2- height 9.1. Sub Velodyne EQ-MAX12 , Speakers cables- Melodika MDC2250 , Galaxy Note 3- Lolipop, Air Condit Samsung serie K09.- WIFI
post #2137 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
My Darbee works fine with deep color it's the 5000s model.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah. When I looked back through some of the threads it about 2 years ago and eas to do with some media players sending RGB when the darbee was expecting YUV for some reason. In the thread I read it eas jappening the a Mede8er.

Amyway, I used the Solo today for the first time with my Sim2 projector and Darbee and it worked without issue. I jave a Dr HDMI in the chain as well since I've found the Sim2 can be a bit temparmental with handshaking sometimes.
Haven't tried 3D yet though. I'll most lively try that tomorrow night.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
post #2138 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 AM

Other thing that interest me is whether srt subtitles can be resize and move up and down, ofcourse on mkv and ISO BD ?

Panasonic TX-P65VT60 -ISF Calibration ,Panasonic DMP-BDT500 , ONKYO TX-NR929 ,VU+DUO 2- QUAD SAT TUNER, Humax ICord HD x2 , Novatron NTR82 ,DUNE HD SOLO 4K , DALI 850 ,CANTON Chrono 501.2- x4 , DALI MENTOR LCR, DALI LEKTOR 2- height 9.1. Sub Velodyne EQ-MAX12 , Speakers cables- Melodika MDC2250 , Galaxy Note 3- Lolipop, Air Condit Samsung serie K09.- WIFI
post #2139 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
The PQ of the Solo rivals even the Oppos. It is that good. I am sure others will confirm that also. Definitely one the best PQ at press time.

As much as I appreciate everything you have done here (and for me with getting my player early from Mike) I have to call you out on this "rivals even the Oppos."
I have an oppo 103D that plays ISO files as well as the Solo. While I think that the Solo is a great player with a VERY rich feature set, I can't give the nod for flat out best picture quality to the solo over the Oppo. Comparing the same exact file through the Oppo and the Dune with no extra darbee processing or any other alterations I have 5 for 5 people who say that the Oppo is "cleaner, more filmlike, better, etc." than the Solo, myself included.
However, if you did not compare them directly no one complained about the quality of the Solo.
The comparison was done on a 2.35 158" screen as well as a reduced 126" 16x9 image on the same screen with a Panny 8000 player.

Now, the feature set of the SOLO crushes the OPPO in it's doslike appearance, but we all knew that would be the case.

Stupid ass Hellboy does not play on my Solo either! ( tested this because someone else had an issue with it) Same ISO played fine on my Oppo. And I might add, I have not had a single ISO (3d or 2d) not play on the Oppo. But of course I have been using the Oppo for years vs the few short weeks of the solo..

I do like to "tinker" with an image as well, so looking forward to the vxp being available in full ISO. Once I put a Darbee in my system, it has never left too!
fatherom and a5ian300zx like this.
post #2140 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
As much as I appreciate everything you have done here (and for me with getting my player early from Mike) I have to call you out on this "rivals even the Oppos."
I have an oppo 103D that plays ISO files as well as the Solo. While I think that the Solo is a great player with a VERY rich feature set, I can't give the nod for flat out best picture quality to the solo over the Oppo. Comparing the same exact file through the Oppo and the Dune with no extra darbee processing or any other alterations I have 5 for 5 people who say that the Oppo is "cleaner, more filmlike, better, etc." than the Solo, myself included.
However, if you did not compare them directly no one complained about the quality of the Solo.
The comparison was done on a 2.35 158" screen as well as a reduced 126" 16x9 image on the same screen with a Panny 8000 player.

Now, the feature set of the SOLO crushes the OPPO in it's doslike appearance, but we all knew that would be the case.

Stupid ass Hellboy does not play on my Solo either! ( tested this because someone else had an issue with it) Same ISO played fine on my Oppo. And I might add, I have not had a single ISO (3d or 2d) not play on the Oppo. But of course I have been using the Oppo for years vs the few short weeks of the solo..

I do like to "tinker" with an image as well, so looking forward to the vxp being available in full ISO. Once I put a Darbee in my system, it has never left too!
I also am very impressed with the PQ of SOLO but yes comparing with OPPO may not be fair.
Two different categories of products and both can happily co-exist in my home as they serve different needs.
post #2141 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hi,

First I'd like to thank blackssr and all the others that are helping out with the tests.

I have been testing the 4k playback of this device and I am having issues with smooth playback on a lot of my 4k files.

I am trying to understand why? It must be something about the way the files are encoded but they all play perfectly on my PC.

I did the tests using the following:
Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2TB/3TB on the USB 2.0 port (back)
PC monitor (1080p)
Force 1080p 59.94p output resolution (so forced downscaling) (also tried auto-framerate since the monitor does support 50hz and 23.976hz in a weird fashion and I had the very same stuttering results)
Yamaha receiver between the solo and the PC monitor

Here are some of my tests (videos from the uhd demos website):

4K_Footage_SpaceX_Launches.mp4 (3840x2160 at 29.97fps) = Stutters some (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Elysium_trailer_4K.mkv (4096x1716 at 24fps) = Stutters some (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Hisense.mp4 (3840x2160 at 29.97fps) = Stutters a lot

Jessica Jones H264 (3840x2160 at 23.976fps) = Stutters some, more at specific scenes? (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Honey Bees 96fps In 4K (ULTRA HD)(4ksamples.com).mp4 (4096x2304 at 24fps) = Perfectly smooth playback (this was also tested as perfect playback by blackssr)

I have others and some plays perfectly smooth others don't.

Also, I took one that played with a lot of stuttering and I re-encoded it in H265 using the same resolution and framerate and even higher bitrate and the playback is now perfectly smooth on the re-encoded video.

This is something that was pointed out by nicety shop on one of their videos where they showed the stutter on one video and then showed the H265 version of the same video and the playback was smooth.
YOUTUBE LINK (add the beginning to the link): /watch?v=WnVAdPrba_o&feature=youtu.be

You can see the kind of stutter I am getting clearly in this video.

I also have H265 files that playback with stuttering so I don't think the problem is necessarily related to using H264 versus H265 for 4k, it seems more a problem of 4k video playback in general but I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

blackssr's tests on most of these videos are on page 23 approximately of this thread (I cannot post links yet )

I am wondering what is going on with my setup? Do I have a bad Dune? I doubt it, because the 1080p stuff (Ex: makemkv blu-ray conversion) and below seems to work flawlessly and I have some 4k files that also plays flawlessly in H264 and H265.

From what I remember of my tests the sound never stutters but I'd need to verify this again.

Just wanted to point it out so that maybe someone can send the message to mike about this issue?

Thanks for your help!
fatherom likes this.
post #2142 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post

I should have wrote "others will chime" in as opposed to "others will confirm". . PQ and SQ is very subjective and is what works best for each user. I can never go back to the Oppo once I have the Dunes and Zappiti. I have an 80" 3D TV and the PQ is outstanding to my eyes and does rival the Oppo..

Last edited by blackssr; 05-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.
post #2143 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Hi,

First I'd like to thank blackssr and all the others that are helping out with the tests.

I have been testing the 4k playback of this device and I am having issues with smooth playback on a lot of my 4k files.

I am trying to understand why? It must be something about the way the files are encoded but they all play perfectly on my PC.

I did the tests using the following:
Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2TB/3TB on the USB 2.0 port (back)
PC monitor (1080p)
Force 1080p 59.94p output resolution (so forced downscaling) (also tried auto-framerate since the monitor does support 50hz and 23.976hz in a weird fashion and I had the very same stuttering results)
Yamaha receiver between the solo and the PC monitor

Here are some of my tests (videos from the uhd demos website):

4K_Footage_SpaceX_Launches.mp4 (3840x2160 at 29.97fps) = Stutters some (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Elysium_trailer_4K.mkv (4096x1716 at 24fps) = Stutters some (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Hisense.mp4 (3840x2160 at 29.97fps) = Stutters a lot

Jessica Jones H264 (3840x2160 at 23.976fps) = Stutters some, more at specific scenes? (this was tested as perfect playback by blackssr? Difference: he used 4k 29.94p output, no scaling)

Honey Bees 96fps In 4K (ULTRA HD)(4ksamples.com).mp4 (4096x2304 at 24fps) = Perfectly smooth playback (this was also tested as perfect playback by blackssr)

I have others and some plays perfectly smooth others don't.

Also, I took one that played with a lot of stuttering and I re-encoded it in H265 using the same resolution and framerate and even higher bitrate and the playback is now perfectly smooth on the re-encoded video.

This is something that was pointed out by nicety shop on one of their videos where they showed the stutter on one video and then showed the H265 version of the same video and the playback was smooth.
YOUTUBE LINK (add the beginning to the link): /watch?v=WnVAdPrba_o&feature=youtu.be

You can see the kind of stutter I am getting clearly in this video.

I also have H265 files that playback with stuttering so I don't think the problem is necessarily related to using H264 versus H265 for 4k, it seems more a problem of 4k video playback in general but I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

blackssr's tests on most of these videos are on page 23 approximately of this thread (I cannot post links yet )

I am wondering what is going on with my setup? Do I have a bad Dune? I doubt it, because the 1080p stuff (Ex: makemkv blu-ray conversion) and below seems to work flawlessly and I have some 4k files that also plays flawlessly in H264 and H265.

From what I remember of my tests the sound never stutters but I'd need to verify this again.

Just wanted to point it out so that maybe someone can send the message to mike about this issue?

Thanks for your help!
Do an internal speed test on the files and post results here. I pull from a server over LAN and get 38 MB/s. To perform this internal test simply highlight the file you want to test and hit the info button. Choose read test and let it run for about 5 minutes or so. It will tell the tale.
Creator44 likes this.

post #2144 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
I should have wrote "others will chime" in as opposed to "others will confirm". . PQ and SQ is very subjective and is what works best for each user. I can never go back to the Oppo once I have the Dunes and Zappiti. I have an 80" 3D TV and the PQ is outstanding to my eyes and does rival the Oppo..
Agreed! Everyone sees differently, everyone hears differently. If Oppo had a killer front end, I would never have been even looking at a solo...
post #2145 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe on bigger screens over 100 " Oppo may be adventage, due more precision scaller.

Last edited by ROMAN38; 05-22-2016 at 12:51 PM.
post #2146 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Do an internal speed test on the files and post results here. I pull from a server over LAN and get 38 MB/s. To perform this internal test simply highlight the file you want to test and hit the info button. Choose read test and let it run for about 5 minutes or so. It will tell the tale.
I have some 4K videos that are stuttering as well. They seem to be the 29.97fps videos (at least of the ones I've tried), and my video output mode is 1080p 59.97 when I play those files, and there is some pretty bad stuttering. I was going to wait to post about it until my LG OLED tv comes in.

My read test always is a constant 27MB/s.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #2147 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only file big enough to let it run 5 minutes or more is the jessica jones one so I did that one and let it run all the way to the end. The result is 26 MB/s which is enough for the bitrates of these files from my rough estimate of needing about 12-15 MB/s for a 100 Mbps file (4k blu-ray approximation).

On the other 4k demo files it seems pretty much the same: 25 MB/s, 23 MB/s, etc. Most of the time I seem to have 25 MB/s.

Remember that these files have low bitrates. The rocket launch file is only about 11.5 Mbps and still slightly stutters (need to pay attention but the best place to see it clearly is at the very beginning where you see the launch area from afar (big circle) and they rotate the camera).

The jessica jones is about 35-40 mbps which is pretty much like a blu-ray and those play fine on my solo 4k. I watched more of the jessica jones and it seems to be playing perfectly most of the time, only some scenes like the beginning credits where the bitrate is at it's maximum and the scene where she walks on the street at 2:55 you can see that her body stutters a lot there for some reason even if the current bitrate is only at about 35 Mbps. That body stutter does not happen on my PC. To see it, play the file starting at about 2:40 and wait till you see her come down the street towards the camera (not on the side). I'm using H264 version.

I also play variable bitrate 1080p60 50-80 MB/s mkv files without a hitch on the solo but these were encoded by me.

I doubt it's a bandwidth issue with my passport and the usb port because I play high bitrate without an issue on some other files.

I do see some correlation with the bitrate in somes files like jj at the beginning but also no correlation at all for the rocket launch for example which is extremely low bitrate.

So, I'm still at a loss as to what is going on?

I tried fast disk access on and off without a change.

I'll try network playback but unfortunately I only use my passports on the usb port with the dunes so I'd like to resolve the problem using that method.

blackssr, can you tell me if you make all your tests using network playback or if you also tested using a drive plugged on the USB port?

What is your network playback setup? I think you can use upnp or samba with the solo 4k?

On a positive note, for those interested, I can say that, as I expected, I do not have the stutter problem anymore on my 29.97fps mkv files! My Dune Smart D1 was doing the stutter with the mkv + 29.97fps combination and it was said on the internet that it was a fault in the old sigma chip that could not be corrected. I'm happy to confirm that the solo 4k using the new sigma chip plays mkv + 29.97fps files flawlessly.
post #2148 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I have some 4K videos that are stuttering as well. They seem to be the 29.97fps videos (at least of the ones I've tried), and my video output mode is 1080p 59.97 when I play those files, and there is some pretty bad stuttering. I was going to wait to post about it until my LG OLED tv comes in.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Do you use a drive plugged on the USB or network for playback?

I have 25 fps files that stutters and the jessica jones i'm using is 23.976fps and also stutters.

But you are right, the vast majority of the files that I tested that stutters are 29.97fps.

I did re-encode a H264 29.97 4k file to h265 29.97 4k and the file plays flawlessly. I'm pretty sure if I re-encoded it in H264 29.97 4k it would also play falwlessly.

Some files seems to not be correctly detected?

Last edited by Creator44; 05-22-2016 at 01:40 PM.
post #2149 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Quote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Do you use a drive plugged on the USB or network for playback?

I have 25 fps files that stutters and the jessica jones i'm using is 23.976fps and also stutters.

But you are right, the vast majority of the files that I tested that stutters are 29.97fps.
Actually now that I think about it the files that were stuttering for me are on a usb 3.0 flash drive.
post #2150 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If people could try this clip:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=79

and see if it stutters, that would help maybe nail this down. This clip stutters like mad for me.

Thanks all,

Chris
Creator44 likes this.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Oppo UDP-203, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #2151 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadwen View Post
Gods of Egypt (2016) does not play under Dune SOLO 4K full BD mode. Actually. this is the second movie I found not working under SOLO full BD mode, the first one is Hellboy II The Golden Army (2008).

I was at my cousin this afternoon demoing the Solo 4K.He had both Gods of Egypt (2016) US and Hellboy II The Golden Army (2008).EUR on his NAS in folder structure and both played in Full menu mode on the Solo 4K.
post #2152 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

and see if it stutters, that would help maybe nail this down. This clip stutters like mad for me.

Thanks all,

Chris
I tried this clip over the network as well, same constant subtle stutter (and some large stutters here and there). What's interesting is the file doesn't auto-resume, it always plays from the beginning.
Creator44 likes this.

post #2153 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried this clip over the network as well, same constant subtle stutter (and some large stutters here and there). What's interesting is the file doesn't auto-resume, it always plays from the beginning.
I'll try this clip later it's downloading very slow for me.

I also just tried connecting to my "PS3 Media Server" on my PC using Upnp and the stuttering is identical to when I used my passport directly on the usb port of the solo 4k on every file.

I tried to setup SMB but it won't let me access the network folder for a reason. I probably need to put a user and password and I'm not sure I want to mess with this as SMB does not really interests me. I'm on Windows 10.

On a positive note I find the playback through upnp to be very fast for the seeking and playback but the listing of files in directories is very slow since there's no cache on the "PS3 media server" side.
post #2154 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
With 4k files it's the codec used. Post mediainfo information on the files as it also discovered the same with 4k files which work flawlessly on my nvidia shield tv.

Sigma does not support all 4k codecs which halfelite could correct me if I am wrong as he is quite knowledgeable on sigma chipsets.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #2155 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 215
File stutters for me as well.
fatherom and Creator44 like this.
post #2156 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
With 4k files it's the codec used. Post mediainfo information on the files as it also discovered the same with 4k files which work flawlessly on my nvidia shield tv.

Sigma does not support all 4k codecs which halfelite could correct me if I am wrong as he is quite knowledgeable on sigma chipsets.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
The "Sony_4K_Triluminos_demo.mkv" file also stutters for me. The bitrate is very high on this file and the motion is slow but on the island near the end it stutters like crazy. Also, we can't seem to be able to seek in this file so maybe it's not the best file for testing.

The Hisense.mp4 file also stutters evidently at the beginning. Just check the clouds movement and you'll see it stutters a lot.

Here is the mediainfo information for the Hisense.mp4 file:

General
Complete name : G:\4k_videos\Hisense.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 1.24 GiB
Duration : 3mn 31s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 50.2 Mbps
Writing application : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 Version. 5.0.6.38

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 50.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 100.0 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.201
Stream size : 1.23 GiB (99%)
Writing library : x264 core 114
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=1 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=50000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=5 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=100000 / vbv_bufsize=99991 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 576 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 33ms
Stream size : 9.68 MiB (1%)

Here is the mediainfo for the "Sony_4K_Triluminos_demo.mkv" file:

General
Complete name : G:\4k_videos\Sony_4K_Triluminos_demo.mkv
Format : ccff
Codec ID : ccff
File size : 1.56 GiB
Duration : 2mn 27s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 91.2 Mbps

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 2mn 27s
Bit rate : 91.1 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.366
Stream size : 1.56 GiB (100%)
Language : English
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 2mn 23s
Bit rate : 132 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 136 bps
Maximum bit rate : 576 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 2.25 MiB (0%)
Language : English

a5ian300zx, I tried finding a pattern using mediainfo but could not find one. Maybe you can help more with this?

Thanks!
post #2157 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks all,

Chris
For me it pauses at the 20, 47, 122 second mark right on cue. I can duplicate that pause every time. Otherwise it is rarely smooth with the occasional micro stutter maybe twice or three times throughout clip. It also starts over if you try to FF or RW.

I pull from a Raid 6 Server over Gb Lan with Windows Home Server 2011.

Last edited by blackssr; 05-22-2016 at 04:28 PM.
post #2158 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for trying, guys. I'm the first to admit that this clip could very well be encoded strangely. But would it be worth passing along to Dune engineers to see if they can see what in particular is causing the stutters?
Creator44 likes this.

post #2159 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for trying, guys. I'm the first to admit that this clip could very well be encoded strangely. But would it be worth passing along to Dune engineers to see if they can see what in particular is causing the stutters?
I am compiling a new list of issues and will forward this along with them.

post #2160 of 5113 Old 05-22-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
@ScottJ
@halfelite

Below are screen captures/photos of the same scene with subs turned on from the BD Engine. The scenes to the left are from Previous firmware dated April 14, 2016 and the scenes to the right are from the current firmware dated May 16, 2016. It may be difficult to see but the latest firmware shows the text to be cleaner and less jagged/truncated as the previous firmware. The BD lite sub quality is the same so I didn't bother to post again. The PQ, of the sub text, to my eyes is nearly identical in both engines now.

A few quick test results worth noting:

1) VXP now works in Full BD Engine.(see photo 5)
2) I also tested 9 DVDs (borrowed from my 78 year old mother) and the confirmed that the DVD Playback engine works as well as the previous Dunes with no issues with regard to menu, playback or audio. The unit performed 100% on the ones I tested.
3) The region code dialog box can now be turned off in the menu permanently.
Much better. Did 3d subtitles get in this firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page