post #1 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

Quote:
Dune HD SOLO 4K is a new compact and powerful media player, affordable solution supporting 4K Ultra HD video playback and innovative HEVC (H.265) video codec. The model can play virtually any content from local and Internet sources with the best quality. Built-in DVB-T/T2 tuner provides possibility to watch digital terrestrial free-to-air TV channels.

Quote:
SOLO 4K is based on the newest SMP8758 processor - the first and the only Hi-End processor by Sigma Designs with real 4K Ultra HD video support. The new ARM-based media processor is 4(!) times more powerful than processors used in previous Dune HD media player models.
The new model can both play 4K content and upscale any content to Full HD and 4K. Professional-grade “VXP” video processor ensures the best picture quality.

Quote:
The newest video encoding standard with 10 bits per color component (rather than the typically used 8 bits) is supported for HEVC video playback. It gives possibility to reproduce more than 1 billion colors, which is 64 times more than before.

The new model features a new possibility to play Blu-ray images not only with simple “BD Lite” mechanism, but also with full Blu-ray menu support, which is a unique possibility for devices of this class. Both 2D and 3D Blu-ray content is supported.

SOLO 4K has dual band Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5.0 GHz) with 2T2R mode and two antennas. 1Gb Ethernet port is available for fast wired data transfer. These powerful network interfaces give possibility to playback heavy high bitrate content both via wires and by air.

The media player has two USB ports for external storage devices and a 2.5” SATA HDD rack with hot-swap support.

Quote:
Solo 4K preserves all the traditional Dune HD functionality of high quality video and audio playback. Proper support of true “Hollywood” frame rate (23.976 fps) ensures perfect smooth playback without any stuttering or lost frames. The new model supports all modern Hi-End audio formats as well.

Additionally, SOLO 4K implements a unique “dual boot” mechanism, which allows to use Linux-based fully featured and further developed functionality of Dune HD media players, or to boot to Android OS for working with vast range of Android applications.

For more details and full specification please visit: Dune HD SOLO 4K page

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Features/Specs

Quote:
Key Features

Newest media processor: The latest Sigma Designs SMP8758 chip from the famous vendor of high-end media processors, with the new Dual Core ARM CPU (4x more power than before); the first and the only chip from Sigma Designs with real 4K support
4K video playback: Decode 4K video content in all popular formats (including H.265 10-bit)
4K video output: Output 4K content with pixel-to-pixel precision to 4K TV
SD/HD to 4K conversion: Automatically increase resolution of SD/HD content to 4K
VXP: Professional-grade video processing engine for best possible picture quality of any content
HEVC: Play video encoded using the latest H.265 codec (2x picture quality increase over H.264)
10-bit color encoding: Enjoy 1 billion colors (64x more than before) with the newest H.265 Hi10P video encoding standard
Blu-ray playback: Play Blu-ray images from any source (USB, HDD, network)
Blu-ray menu: Enjoy full Blu-ray menu navigation or use simple BDLite menu at your discretion
True 24p output: Ensure perfectly smooth playback of Hollywood movies due to full support for 24p (23.976) framerate
Advanced media player: Play video in MKV and other modern video file formats, including top quality 4K and HD with very high bitrates (100Mbit/s+)
HD audio: Output studio-quality high definition audio tracks (Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA) to your A/V receiver
Dolby Atmos 3D audio: Enjoy the newest 3D audio format from Dolby using Dolby Atmos pass-through capability
Hi-End music: Play very high-quality (up to 192 KHz / 24-bit) music files in various formats (FLAC, Monkey’s Audio APE, WAV/PCM, etc)
Network player: Connect to local network and play content directly from PC or NAS via UPnP, SMB, or NFS
HDD player: Play content from any HDD (internal, USB, NAS) of any size (including newest 6TB+ HDD models)
HDD rack with hot-swap function: Easily and quickly insert and exchange internal 2.5’’ SATA HDDs for nearly unlimited storage capacity expansion
Built-in storage: 4GB flash memory for applications and system needs
USB ports: Conveniently connect USB HDDs, USB flash drives, USB card readers, USB hubs and other USB devices
1Gbit Ethernet port: Ensure the best performance when connecting to your local network via cable
802.11ac Wi-Fi with both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz support and 2T2R (two antennas): Ensure the best performance when connecting to your local network via air
IR extender: Easily organize hidden installation of the media player when needed via included external IR eye
Control4: Integrate seamlessly into Smart Home installations based on Control4 technology via ready-to-use Control4 driver
Z-Wave (option): Use built-in Z-Wave controller to build your Smart Home based on Z-Wave technology
Dual boot Linux + Android: Enjoy both Linux OS with full classic Dune HD media player functionality and newest Android OS and Android applications
Quote:
Other Features

IPTV: Watch and record IPTV channels
Internet radio: Listen and record Internet radio stations
Applications: Easily install various applications and plugins with additional functionality from Dune Store or 3-parties
File browser: Convenient file browser with powerful file management features (copy, move, delete, rename, organize, sort)
Playlists: Build playlists from folders or use your own playlists, with repeat and shuffle functions
Jukebox: Use various Jukebox applications to organize your media collection into a convenient user interface with cover-art browsing
Customizable user interface: Enjoy a variety of user interface skins, customization options and Jukebox applications
Internet browser: View Internet web sites on your TV using the built-in web browser
HLS: Ensure best quality of Internet video using Apple HLS adaptive bitrate streaming protocol
DASH: Get access to the newest Internet video services using MPEG-DASH adaptive bitrate streaming protocol
Video output flexibility: Output video in any resolution (from SD to 4K) and framerate (from 24p to 60)
Video upscaling: High-quality upscaling of DVD and any other SD video content to 4K, Full HD (1080p) and other HD resolutions
Auto framerate: Output video with original framerate to ensure absolute smooth playback for all kinds of content
Auto resolution: Get maximum possible video quality when connecting to advanced TV / video processing equipment
Dune Network Playback Accelerator: special optimizations ensuring best-in-class network playback performance and enabling smooth playback of any supported kind of media content via any network protocol (including NFS and SMB)
Built-in NAS function: Access files on attached storage devices (HDD, USB drive, etc) from local network (via SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA)
Wi-Fi access point: Use media player as a Wi-Fi access point and Internet router
IP control: Control media player from PC or iOS/Android mobile devices and integrate with various Smart Home environments
iOS and Android apps: Use a variety of available companion applications for iOS/Android mobile devices
Quote:
Specification

Media processor: Sigma Designs SMP8758
RAM: 1GB
Flash memory: 4GB
Connectors: 2x USB 2.0 (1x rear, 1x front), HDMI 1.4b, composite video and analog stereo audio (via 3.5mm A/V connector with 3xRCA adapter included), coaxial S/PDIF (on A/V connector via software switch), IR extender port with IR eye cable included, Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit/s, two external Wi-Fi antennas, DVB-T/T2 RF IN, 12V DC IN power connector with on/off switch
Internal storage: Internal HDD rack with hot swap function for SATA HDD 2.5"
Media sources: external HDD (USB), external optical drive (USB), USB devices (USB flash drive, USB card reader, etc), built-in SD card reader (SD/SDHC), PC and NAS in local network (SMB, NFS, UPnP, HTTP), other Internet and local network media sources
Video codecs: MPEG2, MPEG4, XVID, WMV9, VC1, H.264, H.265, H.265 Hi10p; support for very high bitrate video (up to 100 Mbit/s and higher)
Video file formats: MKV, MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, M2TS, VOB, AVI, MOV, MP4, QT, ASF, WMV, BDMV, DVD-ISO, VIDEO_TS
3D video formats: MVC, Side-by-side, Top/Bottom
Video output modes: wide range of supported output resolutions (up to 1080p60 and 4Kp30) and framerates (including 23.976, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94)
Video output framerate: automatic (according to the played content) and manual
Video output resolution: automatic (according to the played content) and manual
Audio codecs: MPEG-1/2 layer I/II/III, AAC, LPCM, WMA, WMAPro, FLAC, multichannel FLAC, Vorbis, WavPack, APE (Monkey's Audio), ALAC (Apple lossless), AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS; support for very high quality audio (up to 192 kHz / 24-bit)
Audio file formats: MP3, MPA, M4A, AAC, WAV, WMA, FLAC, Ogg/Vorbis, WavPack, APE (Monkey’s Audio), ALAC (Apple lossless), AC3, DTS, DTS-WAV
Subtitle formats: SRT (external), SUB (MicroDVD) (external), text (MKV), SSA/ASS (MKV, external), VobSub (MP4, MKV, external SUB/IDX), PGS (Blu-ray, TS, MKV)
Hardware 3D Graphics Acceleration: OpenGL support
Picture file formats: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
Playlist file formats: M3U, PLS, CUE
Photo viewer functions: slideshow, transition effects, picture rotation, zoom, browse playlist, repeat, shuffle
Audio playback functions: browse playlist, repeat, shuffle, ID3 tags, plasma TV burn-in prevention
Media streaming protocols: DASH, HLS, FTP, MPEG-TS over multicast-UDP, MPEG-TS over multicast-RTP, MPEG-TS over RTSP, MPEG-TS over HTTP, MP4 over HTTP, raw-MP3 over HTTP, raw-AAC over HTTP
Network file browsing: SMB client and browser, NFS client, UPnP/DLNA client and browser
Built-in NAS function: SMB server, FTP server, UPnP/DLNA media server
Network protocols for remote control and integration: Dune HD IP control protocol (HTTP), UPnP/DLNA media renderer
UPnP/DLNA: DLNA client, DLNA media server, DLNA media renderer
Web browser: WebKit
Ethernet: 10/100/1000 Mbit/s
Wi-Fi: Internal Wi-Fi module with 802.11b/g/n/ac support, Dual Band 2.4/5GHz, 2T2R, two antennas
Filesystems: FAT16/FAT32 (read-write), EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 (read-write), NTFS (read-write)
Phrehdd likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unclear on HD Audio support as no mention to passthru, no reference to TrueHD, no reference to DTS(MA), etc... in the specs

Cheers,
Damian

post #4 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 140
So they aren't dead apparently

For HD audio my guess is that it will be converted to PCM, that's why they don't claim for proper DTS or DD HD.

I'm mostly curious about the BR menus. How did they managed that ???

The specs make it the killer player (may be except the HDMI 1.4b). Let's see if it lives up to the expectations when it is launched... I guess we will know more during the next CES.
post #5 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Unclear on HD Audio support as no mention to passthru, no reference to TrueHD, no reference to DTS(MA), etc... in the specs
HD audio: Output studio-quality high definition audio tracks (Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA) to your A/V receiver
Dolby Atmos 3D audio: Enjoy the newest 3D audio format from Dolby using Dolby Atmos pass-through capability
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full...dia_players/48
post #6 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

For HD audio my guess is that it will be converted to PCM, that's why they don't claim for proper DTS or DD HD.

The specs make it the killer player (may be except the HDMI 1.4b). Let's see if it lives up to the expectations when it is launched... I guess we will know more during the next CES.
I have a feeling its going to be a huge POS, but i'm willing to give it a shot. Of course I'd much rather keep all my stuff in Plex now that I have converted thousands of bluray ISOs to MKV.
post #7 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I saw this thread and damn near had a heart attack lol
WiseOwlFinds likes this.

Last edited by bluewhale1; 12-25-2015 at 03:20 AM.
post #8 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Its already old -not even born .

HDMI 1,4 -No HDCP 2.0 ,4K 30p only ,No HDR exist-Why -point make like this player?

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/set-top-...v-hybrid-socs/

HEVC 4Kp30 VOD support- Sigma Designs SMP8758
gymnos likes this.

Last edited by Mike:SH; 12-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.
post #9 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

It is my understanding that Licenses are required for all HD audio processing, Pass through requires no license. The unit doing the processing requires the license.
I would expect pass through is assumed as standard feature. HDI has quite a bit of pedigree in this field.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #10 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You quoted the specs:

post #11 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You quoted the specs:

I hate argue : but newest formats will be not exist why -because not exist HDCP :2.0
post #12 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 203
A day late and a buck short. This is same chipset family as the VTEN. Only two interesting aspects are bluray menus and Android. If they went bluray menus from SIGMA the device should also have to contain ciniavia as that is the rules or are they claiming bluray menu support through android using a KODI build. Second is the android performance only one box has ever came out with a sigma chipset and android and it was about 4 years ago and was horrible.
post #13 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike:SH View Post
I hate argue : but newest formats will be not exist why -because not exist HDCP :2.0
HD Audio has nothing to do with HDCP 2.0. What are you talking about?

post #14 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Here is some info on the chipset but from last year.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...gm-1946235.htm

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / Nvidia Shield TV / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap 871 Pro
post #15 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You quoted the specs:

My point was they listed it as a feature but they do not include in the specs, which is it? It seems like it would be easier to just fall back on the specs if a feature isn't added, otherwise it should be included in the specs as well.

Cheers,
Damian

post #16 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My point was they listed it as a feature but they do not include in the specs, which is it? It seems like it would be easier to just fall back on the specs if a feature isn't added, otherwise it should be included in the specs as well.
I believe damn it!. Stop ruining Christmas.

post #17 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
HD Audio has nothing to do with HDCP 2.0. What are you talking about?
You will watch old movies with new audio -its fine -but you cant watch new because its not support HDCP 2.0.
post #18 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post

In my post new : Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player
post #19 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The purpose of such a media player is to watch ripped stuff, that does not need HDCP at all!
TXSTYLE and MrBepec like this.

Robert
post #20 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post
The purpose of such a media player is to watch ripped stuff, that does not need HDCP at all!
The problem is security connection -to watch new movies you whole system must be HDCP 2.0-or quality will be downgraded .
Who cares -any way its will be only 4K 30p-procesor not support 60p.

Last edited by Mike:SH; 12-24-2015 at 01:14 PM.
post #21 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike:SH View Post
The problem is security connection -to watch new movies you whole system must be HDCP 2.0-or quality will be downgraded .
If you want to use an app to stream from some new UHD provider, maybe.

If/when Slysoft for example will allow you to rip your own UHD Brs, possibly remuxing them to MKV, not at all. HDCP becomes moot.

Robert
post #22 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post

I wonder if the dual core gives it much speed over the vten which is the SMP8756 only a single core. On the old MIPS cpus from sigma performance never did change from single or dual core CPU's
post #23 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I believe damn it!. Stop ruining Christmas.

Cheers,
Damian

post #24 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Being the same chipset family as the vten it should have the same audio unless they crippled it as the only difference is the added core. Thank god they did not add pro to the name otherwise it would never see the light of day. I am still waiting for that last PRO model that offered everything to come out.
post #25 of 3967 Old 12-24-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Being the same chipset family as the vten it should have the same audio unless they crippled it. Thank god they did not add pro to the name otherwise it would never see the light of day. I am still waiting for that last PRO model that offered everything to come out.
I'm curious to see if they'll have a "premium" version of this though. They usually have 2 or 3 lines of a player. I'm still waiting on that promised Pro player as well. Sure looked good.....on paper!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears,PA 120 12" Sub,klipsch R-10SW
post #26 of 3967 Old 12-25-2015, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 138
So this is using the SMP8758. Where is the SMP8762?
post #27 of 3967 Old 12-25-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really HOPE that 8762 scheduled for Base 3D replacement model. The "Premium" section lacks new model(s) otherwise!

Last edited by RamanRB; 12-25-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #28 of 3967 Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for starting the new thread. If this player can handle BD-lite with HD audio it will replace my Smart B1. Hopefully the reviews are positive.
post #29 of 3967 Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Let me preface by saying I've been a huge Dune fan for a long time but, why would you buy this over the more capable Nvidia Shield? Serious question.

The only advantages that I'm seeing is the Blu-ray full menu (I'll be surprised if that works well) and the VXP video processor. I gave up on the Blu-ray ISO format long ago but, I really like the idea of the VXP. The list of disadvantages is much, much longer. HDMI 1.4 vs. 2.0, no 4K streaming from online providers, 1GB Ram vs. 3, 4GB flash memory vs. 16, no bluetooth vs. 4.1, support(?) and at $128 more? What am I missing?
a5ian300zx likes this.
post #30 of 3967 Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Let me preface by saying I've been a huge Dune fan for a long time but, why would you buy this over the more capable Nvidia Shield? Serious question.

The only advantages that I'm seeing is the Blu-ray full menu (I'll be surprised if that works well) and the VXP video processor. I gave up on the Blu-ray ISO format long ago but, I really like the idea of the VXP. The list of disadvantages is much, much longer. HDMI 1.4 vs. 2.0, no 4K streaming from online providers, 1GB Ram vs. 3, 4GB flash memory vs. 16, no bluetooth vs. 4.1, support(?) and at $128 more? What am I missing?

For you, probably not much. For those who rip their BRs to ISOs having full menu support (something that is like a unicorn) would be a major bonus.

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming
Gear in this thread