Anybody using the HDMI out of the newer QNAP NAS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody using the HDMI out of the newer QNAP NAS?

Hi, wanted to check if anybody's using the HDMI out of the newer QNAP NAS models and if you had any feedback?

I've had a good experience with QNAP having used a really old 2-bay model and a 4-bay model, both of which I have to fish out of storage, but thinking of getting a newer model and was looking at the TVS-671 or 871. Both have HDMI out, so was planning to skip an old HTPC I was using previously and just hook this up directly to the AVR

Will also use an existing RPi + Kodi with a tv in another room

Planning to use Sonarr + Emby as the media server in the QNAP + Kodi as the front-end

Appreciate hearing from anybody using a QNAP NAS and utilizing the HDMI port
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I tried using XBMC/Kodi via HDMI but quickly punted. QNAP's native port was extremely old and had several serious bugs to the point I couldn't use it. Virtualization didn't support OpenELEC so I was forced to use Windows and it ran to a degree. However as soon as I was running other background apps (maxed the memory) it dropped to its knees with video/audio stutter to the point it was unusable.

Bottom line with the low cost of media players (Brix J1900, Pi2, etc) it wasn't worth the frustration. I'd personally drop back to a less "feature" packed NAS and you could easily pay for the media player with the price difference. Even if you couldn't the old saying comes to mind... just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Home Theatre Tweets
16x9 120" | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build
Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I tried using XBMC/Kodi via HDMI but quickly punted. QNAP's native port was extremely old and had several serious bugs to the point I couldn't use it. Virtualization didn't support OpenELEC so I was forced to use Windows and it ran to a degree. However as soon as I was running other background apps (maxed the memory) it dropped to its knees with video/audio stutter to the point it was unusable.
Thanks for the feedback! Mind sharing which NAS model you were using? Wondering if this was some of the first ones with HDMI that came out as that was a common feedback back then. But with the newer TVS models that have the i3 or i5 processors, was thinking could be less of a problem running background apps?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm currently using the TS-451 with Kodi for playback of my non-compressed BD mkv rips w/lossless audio, I'm not using Kodi for any of the extras. I'm not running anything else in the background when watching a movie and I've had no problems. Kodi is a bit dated at 14.2 I believe but for my purposes it works just fine. You can move up to 15 with the beta firmware but my experience with the beta wasn't good and I'll wait for the official release. The only negative I've seen when playing back is when there is scenes with fast flashing from light to dark, parts of the video will become pixelated. I've only seen it on maybe 3 or 4 movies out of the hundreds I've watched so it's mostly a non issue.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed24 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Mind sharing which NAS model you were using? Wondering if this was some of the first ones with HDMI that came out as that was a common feedback back then. But with the newer TVS models that have the i3 or i5 processors, was thinking could be less of a problem running background apps?
I was using a Quad-core 2 GHz model with maxed RAM. I'm sure the more powerful models handle it "better" However they make even less sense to me... the price difference really increases between a "basis" NAS that will handle the rest of your needs versus the upgraded model that "may" handle local playback adequately.

I tried to swallow the blue pill but it ended up being a kludge (at best). I was only running one app on the NAS (DVBLink). Stuck with a third-party port of Kodi (several releases behind at best - my remote "was broken" in their release and wasn't fixed for years - they never ported the dot updates), limited support for a native port, lousy performance and finally various Add-ons that simply aren't supported gave me zero reasons not to punt. Sure it was "neat" to see what you could do and a great concept. One I wanted to buy into but for the low cost of a far superior streamer and far less headaches I couldn't.

Home Theatre Tweets
16x9 120" | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build

Last edited by Charles R; 01-05-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement