Problems streaming BR rips - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Verge2

post #1 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Problems streaming BR rips

I’ve hit a snag with streaming Blu ray rips to my new Rasp Pi 2. It’s loaded with the openelec/Kodi build 6.0.0. I’ve also installed the VC1 key for hardware enabled playback of that encoding. The problem is that all the BR rips play but they look like they are in slow motion. This happens with either H264 or VC1. DVD rips play normally. I then tried my old method ( a panasonic BR player with network drive capability) and get the same result….

I’m feeding both of these with a Synology NAS, DS213. The 2 drives in there are single volumes…no raid. The rips are all on one of the drives, a 2GB Samsung HD204UI that is a little over half full. Its formatted ext4 and the NAS reports “disk healthy”. There is a basic gigabit switch between the NAS and the streaming devices, and the NAS reports “1000Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500” for network connection. I’m using nfs to mount on the devices.

What’s going on here?…The hard drive is only 5400rpm …could that be it? Any ideas on what else to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Probably because the CPU on the Raspberry Pi is not powerful to decode the bit rate on the Blu-Ray rips....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 268
install kodi on desktop computer and see if the issue is still there.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I had the same problem on a Chromebox when Kodi was using software decoding. After installing the VC1 key, did you enable hardware decoding in Kodi?
post #5 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Probably because the CPU on the Raspberry Pi is not powerful to decode the bit rate on the Blu-Ray rips....
^ this. Or how good is your network? Cabling? Distance? etc
post #6 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Check your audio settings, that is the number one cause of issues like that in KODI.

Bill
post #7 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog5775 View Post
The problem is that all the BR rips play but they look like they are in slow motion. This happens with either H264 or VC1. DVD rips play normally. I then tried my old method ( a panasonic BR player with network drive capability) and get the same result….
Are you saying that when streaming to the panasonic BR you're seeing the same problem with slow motion?

I don't think the NAS, network, or drive speed is the problem...even the slowest of drives is still fast enough to stream BR. You network sounds find. If you're Panasonic is doing it as well, then I would suspect something foo with the rips.

If you have a keyboard on your Pi, while playing a vid in Kodi, press the "O" key to see what the stats are showing.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess is the NAS... The processor in the Synology NAS (it appears to be a few years old, so the CPU will not be that powerful, even at 2GHz) may be too slow to transfer the video file to the destination... I used to have a 4TB WD MyCloud drive. I would have issues viewing some Blu-Ray files across the LAN. The only way i could get it to work was to compress the files even smaller (less than 2GB).

I ran out of space and bought a QNAP NAS with a quad-core Celeron processor. I no longer have any streaming issues on any video file, no matter how large it is...

post #9 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
My guess is the NAS... The processor in the Synology NAS (it appears to be a few years old, so the CPU will not be that powerful, even at 2GHz) may be too slow to transfer the video file to the destination.
Nah, I have an old Synology 212j and it never had problems streaming full bd rips with lossless audio across my network. The processor is slow for doing much of anything else but streaming was never an issue. I did have problems with a Samsung spinpoint drive in it at one point, I would get occasional momentary freezes, but once replaced it was flawless. So with that said perhaps the drive is causing issues. Mine worked well the WD drives, red or green.

I also recently upgraded to a Qnap for more space, pricing and features was better than Synology.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
My guess is the NAS... The processor in the Synology NAS (it appears to be a few years old, so the CPU will not be that powerful, even at 2GHz) may be too slow to transfer the video file to the destination... I used to have a 4TB WD MyCloud drive. I would have issues viewing some Blu-Ray files across the LAN. The only way i could get it to work was to compress the files even smaller (less than 2GB).

I ran out of space and bought a QNAP NAS with a quad-core Celeron processor. I no longer have any streaming issues on any video file, no matter how large it is...
A pentium 2 with an ide hard drive can stream blu Rays. Not the NAS cpu.
Dan0myte likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
Check your audio settings, that is the number one cause of issues like that in KODI.

Bill
I second this! The RPi2 is more that capable of playing back full bitrate Bluray rips. Also try a different movie, Finding Nemo gave me a hard time a while back but after re-ripping it all is good again.

- Eric

Audiophiles
post #12 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustang View Post
I second this! The RPi2 is more that capable of playing back full bitrate Bluray rips. Also try a different movie, Finding Nemo gave me a hard time a while back but after re-ripping it all is good again.
Except he says it's happening with a BD player as well so I think the audio settings can be dismissed. He say's it's his old method so it must have played normally on the BD prior to the NAS?
post #13 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Fwiw. I have all 5400 rpm hdds and stream full iso bd. And im using a sempron cpu. Keep in mind the bandwidth on a gigabit network is about 112megabytes/s. If the pi has a 100 nic, thats only 12Megabytes/s. Thats ur biggest bottleneck. Do u have a windows pc on the network? Create a share, throw the same movie in it and try to stream that. Try and eliminate the variables.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 AM

Is the NAS transcoding? I would still try a different movie just to rule out a funny file. Like I mentioned earlier I had a "Finding Nemo" rip that always worked fine until it didn't. Re-ripping it fixed the problem

- Eric

Audiophiles
post #15 of 23 Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It sounds like you're using Plex. The Synology NAS wouldn't have been able to push a Plex stream very well, whereas that QNAP should be a lot more capable.

Saying that the NAS can't transfer video files to the destination though is confusing. Providing files to the network requires extremely low CPU clock cycles. Like Verge2 said, even an old PII from 1994 could provide a full bitrate Bluray video to a Kodi device as long as it had a Gigabit Ethernet PCI card. The CPU power of your old NAS is irrelevant to it's file transferring ability. It's only when you run into file repackaging solutions such as Plex where you run into a NAS being too slow.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sorry guys, was out of pocket for a while….thanks for all the ideas/info…

I’m not *trying* to do any transcoding….just play the rip as is. No Plex app involved….create an nfs mount in Kodi, populate the library, select the movie and hit play.

The rips are from makemkv, main movie only with the subtitles and DTS-MA audio boxes also checked.

My old method (using the BR player) had only ever been use for DVD rips. I had never tried a BR rip until I bought the Pi2 and then made the rips. When things were not working on the Pi2, I fell back to the BR player where I do see the same results… what appears to be slow-motion playback.

I have not done anything in Kodi to enable hardware encoding for VC1…how do I do that?

Based on everyone's comments it seems like it must be related to the drive in the NAS or my network. I’ve been away on a business trip…returning home tonight. I’m going to try to stream from the windows machine where I did the rips. I will also verify my network cabling...I have a pile of cables at home that I just pulled some off of to set this all up, so not sure of their integrity. I can also try the other hard drive in the NAS, which is a slightly newer Seagate 4TB model...

Thanks again for all the comments...appreciate it!
post #17 of 23 Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Fwiw. I have all 5400 rpm hdds and stream full iso bd. And im using a sempron cpu. Keep in mind the bandwidth on a gigabit network is about 112megabytes/s. If the pi has a 100 nic, thats only 12Megabytes/s. Thats ur biggest bottleneck. Do u have a windows pc on the network? Create a share, throw the same movie in it and try to stream that. Try and eliminate the variables.
I agree with your bottleneck statement and have distressingly run into a similar situation. It is not just a question of whether or not the CPU has the horse power to play a BD rip but whether all the rest of the system components are as well. I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 5000 series laptop with i3@1.7GHz. This laptop has only a 10/100 NIC built in and it is not very good. Even when it is hard-wired to the same switch as the server, the laptop is unable to play a full bitrate (30Mbps) BD rip, streamed from my from my Media-PC using VLC player, without stuttering and frequent buffering pauses. Put that same rip on a portable HDD plugged into the USB-2 port and it plays flawlessly.

The network hardware of this laptop simply can't keep up with the continuous bitrate demand required to stream the rip.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 02-04-2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The network hardware of this laptop simply can't keep up with the continuous bitrate demand required to stream the rip.
This is a great point that many people forget. An old 10/100 ethernet card can't provide a full-bitrate bluray file fast enough to the playing device. It will cause skipping and pausing. Gigabit ethernet is a requirement at both ends when you get into HD video/audio bitrates.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Gigabit ethernet is a requirement at both ends when you get into HD video/audio bitrates.
GigE is not a requirement for full bitrate BD. 100Mbps FastEthernet is quite sufficient as long as the NIC hardware is actually capable of a sustained 100Mbps (or at least close) throughput. I have 3 WDTV Live-SMP's with only 10/100 NIC's and they play the highest bitrate BD rips (41Mbps including HD audio) in my collection flawlessly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 23 Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog5775 View Post
I have not done anything in Kodi to enable hardware encoding for VC1…how do I do that?
http://www.raspberrypi.com/vc-1-license-key/

Before you go through the trouble of changing anything I would use a program like MediaInfo
and see what it says about any video files you are having a hard time playing back properly. If the movies are encoded with VC-1 the RPi doesn't have a chance unless you install a license, same for mpeg-2.

Quote:
This is a great point that many people forget. An old 10/100 ethernet card can't provide a full-bitrate bluray file fast enough to the playing device. It will cause skipping and pausing. Gigabit ethernet is a requirement at both ends when you get into HD video/audio bitrates.
This is not correct. Personally I recommend a Gigabit connection on the "file server" and all cabling and switches be of Gigabit caliber but the clients will be fine with Fast Ethernet (100).

Unless the HDD is malfunctioning or is part of a RAID array with ancient controller I seriously doubt it would be a cause for your issue.

- Eric

Audiophiles

Last edited by 68rustang; 02-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like you're using Plex. The Synology NAS wouldn't have been able to push a Plex stream very well, whereas that QNAP should be a lot more capable.

Saying that the NAS can't transfer video files to the destination though is confusing. Providing files to the network requires extremely low CPU clock cycles. Like Verge2 said, even an old PII from 1994 could provide a full bitrate Bluray video to a Kodi device as long as it had a Gigabit Ethernet PCI card. The CPU power of your old NAS is irrelevant to it's file transferring ability. It's only when you run into file repackaging solutions such as Plex where you run into a NAS being too slow.
No, i did not use Plex.. The WD MyCloud drive I had did not support Plex as the processor was too slow according to Plex. But the WD definitely had issues with larger MKV files. With my current QNAP NAS, I have absolutely no problem streaming large MKV files, some of them being 9 GB in size.

On a side note, I use Handbrake to compress my videos and I set the video compression to 23. I am surprised at how widespread the end files turn out, anywhere from 1.5 GB to 9 GB. Before, with the WD, I had to set compression as high as 26 in order to play them back through DLNA smoothly...

Now that I changed my video tuning parameter in Handbrake to film, I am starting to re-rip my collection (1500 titles) with the new setting. The difference in picture sharpness makes me feel it is well worth the effort.

post #22 of 23 Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
GigE is not a requirement for full bitrate BD. 100Mbps FastEthernet is quite sufficient as long as the NIC hardware is actually capable of a sustained 100Mbps (or at least close) throughput.
Yeah I used the wrong terminology there. It's not 'required' as much as it's 'preferred'.

At a sustained 40MBps or 54MBps through a 10/100 NIC and 10/100 switch, that hardware is saturated with data. Hopefully you're not using the network for much else at that point.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
At a sustained 40MBps or 54MBps through a 10/100 NIC and 10/100 switch, that hardware is saturated with data. Hopefully you're not using the network for much else at that point.
The backbone is all GigE/Cat-6. The clients may be 10/100 but they are plugged into GigE Smart-switches.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page