AVS Forum banner

More reliable router

743 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Gorilla Killa 
#1 ·
Would the asus88u or the netgear r7000 be more reliable. I realize that is somewhat subjective, ive owned cisco's for last 10yrs and im ready and need to upgrade. Ive read quite a bit about both and they appear to be comparable so reliability is the tie braker unless you all have another suggestion

#3 ·
I have a Netgear R7000. It's expensive. And most of its promised bells-and-whistles don't work.

But in terms of speed, range, and reliability (the 3 most important things for a router), it's excellent.

Reactions: Ph8te
#4 ·
I used to be a Linksys owner, but the last few routers I bought all died after a year if use... I switched to Netgear and never looked back... I used to have a R6300 and now have a couple of R7000s... Love it.

I am now considering upgraded to an Asus RT-88U because it has eight LAN ports (four is very restricting nowadays) plus the fact is supports link aggregation. I can connect two LAN cables from my NAS to the router to double the transfer speed from 100 MBps to 200 MBps... Note that the client device and router both must support link aggregation (802.3ad) in order to work.

#5 ·
MULTIPLE R7000's??? My gawd, what is your home layout like???

I got a pretty large space (approaching 5000 sq ft), 3 stories, with the sub-optimal (but convenient) router placement of the first floor basement (I'm under the impression that routers do better being located on higher floors and broadcasting downward than they do on bottom floors broadcasting upward)... I pay for 105 mbps internet, and I can lay in bed, on the third floor, and routinely test 109 mbps, wirelessly, on my cell phone. Through 2 floors and likely a couple walls, too.

Last year, during my neighbor's super bowl party, I was sitting in his living room (next door, slightly up the hill, obviously through 2 external walls) and tested 10 mbps, connected to MY OWN router.

If better wireless repeating ("cascading") isn't required (and with multiple R7000's already in place, I'd be awestruck to hear the details on that!!), I'd think it'd be more cost effective to add extra LAN ports via a couple of Gigabit Switches, rather than buying a whole new router(s), no?

#6 ·
I had been look at the Asus88u for the WTF gaming feature among other things. My ping is avg. 2ms so that feature may be moot for me. Im getting 1gb service since its only 12$ more, left my wife here and the tech talked her down from ledge, not sure why....The r7000 would probably be enough in the speed dept. but the asus is till calling me.

#12 ·
I read on smallnet builder the 88u has some issues,not as extreme as the 87u but not sure Im going to chuck $300 on the wall and see if it sticks.
Hows the QoS on the R7000, self explanatory I hope.

#13 ·
The QoS on the R7000 is easy to use and can be configured for individual devices, but this may have been changed with the latest firmware...

Granted the AC-RT88U has issues right now, but all routers have issues until the firmware is updated later. We are guinea pigs...

Reactions: Ph8te
#17 ·
I do not recommend anyone to use the router's USB port to attach a USB hard drive and expect it to work reliably as a NAS. If it was that easy, all the NAS companies would be out of business...

Router's USB ports are an after thought. Even though they may be classed as a USB 3.0 port, they are notoriously slow, just as slow as a USB 2.0 port. If you look at reviews, the USB throughput can vary between 20 MBps to 100 MBps. Their software implementation to enable USB is buggy as heck.

I buy a router just for wi-fi performance and am fine with that. I don't expect anything else out of them because they are pretty bad in implementing features...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.