Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #331 of 345 Old 10-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabe12 View Post
Hello,
I have bought a LG OLED 65C7D. I'm running the TV with an Denon AVR-X3200W - connected via HDMI ARC. I'm playing content from Netflix and Amazon (internal LG apps) and the DD+ Audio is not working correct.
The sound itself is working and I can hear everything but I have short interruptions of the sound (you can see that the dolby digital logo in the display disapear and appear again). The sound disconnects for 1-2 seconds. This happens so often (somtimes seconds.. sometimes after minuets) that the movie / series is unwatchable.

I wrote earlier in the thread that only Denon AVR-X3300W supports DD+ over HDMI ARC - so am I correct, that my AVR is not support DD+ over HDMI ARC?

How can I solve that? Does anyone has an idea? Using a optical cable and only receiving DD? I already tried to force the TV to use DD (changing in the Menue from "Automatic" to "Dolby Digital" but it is still using DD+

Thank you!!
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that those audio dropouts could be fixed by going into the menu of the TV, turning it to the TV speakers (not ARC), then turning Atmos off. Then obviously enabling ARC again so your AVR works.

Even though it is dimmed when sound is through ARC, if Atmos is enabled in there, that setting causes the dropouts. It's a bug.

Let us know if that works.
sikclown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 10-04-2017, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Thanks for the tips! I have already a good HDMI cable connected! Anyhow it is clearly reducable to the HDMI ARC and DD+. DTS is working fine and also if I?m using the internal speaker from the TV.
I have made a test an connected the fire tv stick to the Tv -> sams issue. I have connected the fire tv stick to the AVR -> working.
But I want to use thr LG internal apps for 4k hdr and the web OS is awesome

Anyway I have disabled Atmos but it?s not 100% gone. I have watched yesterday 2 series (2 hours) and it droped 6-7 times. Right now I tried a random movie at amazon prime -> 2 drops in 10 minutes.. if I?m increasing the volume it is also droping (not that important).
I don?t know. I have purchased now an optical cable and will use DD instead of DD+. The only workaround I see now.. hopefully it is working and netflix/amazon is sending in DD.

Thanks! Fabe
post #333 of 345 Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'd like to chime into this thread as well. I have a P65-C1 (2016) and a Denon X3300W AVR.

At the moment, everything's connected the traditional way (cable box, Roku & HTPC connected to three inputs on the Denon; HDMI output from the Denon to the HDMI 1 input on the Vizio P65). I had been using the Roku Ultra since it was capable of delivering Amazon, whereas the Casting input from the Vizio tablet was not.

Since the most recent firmware update, however, I found that Smartcasting is now enabled with onboard apps, and as such, I'd like to take advantage of this rather than keep trying to use the perpetually-buggy Roku.

So my question is, how do I get smartcast audio into the Denon? I would like for it to pass Atmos signals from Vudu movies, and support any future DolbyVision HDR content (I don't think I've ever seen a DolbyVision title anywhere yet on either Netflix, Vudu or Amazon. The Roku does seem to pass HDR10 without a problem.

What is the process for doing this? Do I need to run an optical cable from the P65 to the Denon, and then mess with digital inputs? And will that pass Atmos or DTS:X? Or is there any way to do this via ARC? Also, how would I set the Denon? The script-readers at both Vizio and Denon tech support call centres were useless, as I knew they would be, once it came to the whole system, rather than their unique devices.

post #334 of 345 Old 10-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwel View Post
Quick question about eARC: it seems this feature is directly connected to HDMI 2.1, however, can we expect that firmware updates bring eARC to HDMI 2.0a TVs and receivers?
<cynic mode> If they did that, then how would they sell you a new AVR?? </cynic mode>

Realistically, it's probably a hardware limitation, the data rate is an order of magnitude higher.
post #335 of 345 Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
What is the process for doing this? Do I need to run an optical cable from the P65 to the Denon, and then mess with digital inputs? And will that pass Atmos or DTS:X? Or is there any way to do this via ARC? Also, how would I set the Denon? The script-readers at both Vizio and Denon tech support call centres were useless, as I knew they would be, once it came to the whole system, rather than their unique devices.
The best you can do, if everything supports it, is Dolby Digital Plus (which can include Atmos) over ARC. Can't do PCM, TrueHD, DTS:X, etc. Can't do DD+ over optical.
post #336 of 345 Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
The best you can do, if everything supports it, is Dolby Digital Plus (which can include Atmos) over ARC. Can't do PCM, TrueHD, DTS:X, etc. Can't do DD+ over optical.
Hmm. This leads to another question then. Are any of the aforementioned formats used on any streaming services or are they reserved for Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray disks only? I'm just setting this up now, and for the moment I'm only watching TV shows on the system. I will eventually want to watch movies as well, and I want those in the best possible sound I can get with my 5.2.2 Atmos system. I'm looking for a UHD BR-D player so for the moment I'm restricted to streaming.
post #337 of 345 Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
Hmm. This leads to another question then. Are any of the aforementioned formats used on any streaming services or are they reserved for Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray disks only? I'm just setting this up now, and for the moment I'm only watching TV shows on the system. I will eventually want to watch movies as well, and I want those in the best possible sound I can get with my 5.2.2 Atmos system. I'm looking for a UHD BR-D player so for the moment I'm restricted to streaming.
Dolby Digital (for 5.1) and DD+ (for 7.1/Atmos) are used by some. The lossless formats used on blu-ray aren't used with streaming because they're considered a profligate use of bandwith.
galonzo likes this.
post #338 of 345 Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 PM

The whole thing is disappointing.

I bought my new AVR and speakers a month ago with the idea of moving to Atmos soon, but now I'm left with the realisation that probably it will only be fixed with eARC/HDMI 2.1, and that probably means we all need new AVRs and probably new TVs.

I have an LG C7, only a week old. Nice TV, but was surprising to me how flaky the Atmos support really is, with the amount LG plastered Atmos/Dolby Vision all over their sales literature, the giant banners in the store, and the box. Between the widely-reported lipsync issues and the DD+ limitation, it seems farcical.

And I'm not talking about "Atmos" with tiny speakers on a soundbar or the back of the TV pointed at a wall, emanating from a single location, bouncing tinny echoes all over the room! If the TV can't support sending Atmos to real speakers, then it's rather misleading to claim Atmos support as for Blurays, it's the AVR doing all the Atmos decoding.

I was planning to use the internal media player to send Atmos via ARC because my HTPC can't do HDR, but never considered that sending TrueHD would not be possible. These are the first TV/AVR I've had that support ARC. I've never seen a video with DD+/Atmos audio. I'm pretty sure all the ones I've seen in the wild have been TrueHD/Atmos. I'm trying to investigate reencoding the audio to DD+/Atmos but initial googling hasn't turned up much info or even if that's possible (I was hoping to use ffmpeg for this).

Is there a DTS equivalent to DD+/Atmos that can be sent over ARC?

Even if the hardware doesn't support full eARC, I hope LG and other manufacturers will do the best they can to support these TVs via firmware to get the most out of the hardware they have.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #339 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post

DTS:X but I don't know of any streaming service that supports it

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front)
Klipsch RP-250C (Center)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #340 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The whole thing is disappointing.

I bought my new AVR and speakers a month ago with the idea of moving to Atmos soon, but now I'm left with the realisation that probably it will only be fixed with eARC/HDMI 2.1, and that probably means we all need new AVRs and probably new TVs.

I have an LG C7, only a week old. Nice TV, but was surprising to me how flaky the Atmos support really is, with the amount LG plastered Atmos/Dolby Vision all over their sales literature, the giant banners in the store, and the box. Between the widely-reported lipsync issues and the DD+ limitation, it seems farcical.

And I'm not talking about "Atmos" with tiny speakers on a soundbar or the back of the TV pointed at a wall, emanating from a single location, bouncing tinny echoes all over the room! If the TV can't support sending Atmos to real speakers, then it's rather misleading to claim Atmos support as for Blurays, it's the AVR doing all the Atmos decoding.

I was planning to use the internal media player to send Atmos via ARC because my HTPC can't do HDR, but never considered that sending TrueHD would not be possible. These are the first TV/AVR I've had that support ARC. I've never seen a video with DD+/Atmos audio. I'm pretty sure all the ones I've seen in the wild have been TrueHD/Atmos. I'm trying to investigate reencoding the audio to DD+/Atmos but initial googling hasn't turned up much info or even if that's possible (I was hoping to use ffmpeg for this).

Even if the hardware doesn't support full eARC, I hope LG and other manufacturers will do the best they can to support these TVs via firmware to get the most out of the hardware they have.
Hey noobtv.. you have an C7 and the denon 3300 (same like me). Is DD+ over ARC working for you? (Amazon or Netflix movie) or do you also experience issues (sound drops like me). Would be really intressting!
Thanks.
post #341 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabe12 View Post
Hey noobtv.. you have an C7 and the denon 3300 (same like me). Is DD+ over ARC working for you? (Amazon or Netflix movie) or do you also experience issues (sound drops like me). Would be really intressting!
Thanks.
I have a C7 and a Pioneer VSX-1131.

Sorry, I don't use Amazon or Netflix. I can play a file with DD+ from the internal DLNA media player though. No dropouts but it was only a ~2 minute file. I used the safari demo file from here. Does the sound from that work for you?

Unfortunately my Pioneer shows no information about what audio format it's playing over ARC though, just "Unknown" - I've emailed Pioneer about this but no reply as yet. I think that Safari file only has a DD+ track so it's working ok though? My speaker setup is only 5.1 so I don't know if it's just getting the core DD track (is that possible?).

I can hear the sound fine though so I shouldn't complain too loudly.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there was a firmware update for the Denon AVRs to fix DD+ support via ARC.

Last edited by noobtv; 10-16-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #342 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
DTS:X but I don't know of any streaming service that supports it
DTS:X would be the equivalent to TrueHD/Atmos which needs ~10x the bandwidth of DD+.

I meant an equivalent to DD+/Atmos. Surprised DTS doesn't have one AFAICT.
post #343 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC

Quote:
DTS:X would be the equivalent to TrueHD/Atmos which needs ~10x the bandwidth of DD+.

There is a version of DTS:X that uses a lossy DTS-HD stream. I don’t know of any streaming sources that support it, but it has been used on a couple UHD Blu-rays.
TrueDis and galonzo like this.

Display - Epson HC3500/SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen
Receiver - Denon x4300H
Speakers - Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763
Sub - Sealed Dayton 18-HO/Behringer EP4000
Sources - Tivo Bolt/Oppo 203/AT4K/Shield TV
post #344 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

It exists. Check out this post for more info about lossy DTS:X.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front)
Klipsch RP-250C (Center)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #345 of 345 Old 10-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Oh, cool. Thanks guys.

I wonder what the support is like, whether my AVR is likely to be able to use it over ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page