Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #61 of 345 Old 09-28-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post
I have the Vizio P50, enabled "arc" & "bitstream" In the tv audio settings, hdmi out to my Yamaha 1060. I get DD+ for netflix, but only DD for the Vudu Atmos bundle...
If by atmos bundle you mean the atmos demo material on vudu, don't worry about it. For some dumb reason the Atmos demo on vudu isn't even availble in Atmos currently only 7.1 DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 345 Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
If by atmos bundle you mean the atmos demo material on vudu, don't worry about it. For some dumb reason the Atmos demo on vudu isn't even availble in Atmos currently only 7.1 DD.
Actually they are available on Vudu in Atmos depending on your device. I use those to demo my system for guests using either my PS4, Nvidia Shield, or Samsung K8500 and Atmos lights up like a Christmas tree.

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple TV, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
UN55KS9000, Denon x4200w, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, HTPC,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
post #63 of 345 Old 09-28-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Actually they are available on Vudu in Atmos depending on your device. I use those to demo my system for guests using either my PS4, Nvidia Shield, or Samsung K8500 and Atmos lights up like a Christmas tree.
You sure I just checked on those devices and it says no dolby atmos. There is 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus. But no Atmos even listed as a possible sound format. I do see that if I play it from the k8500 it my receiver says Atmos, but it is weird that the video itself says it is only 7.1.

Update: Ok here is the issue. The Vizio P series apparently doesn't seem to want to send atmos for those movies. I am not sure if it requires 4k for some reason to do it, but it works in atmos movies. And while the videos for atmos say they are only 7.1 it is decoding on my receiver as 5.1.4 so atmos does seem to be working when playing from the k8500. I am not sure why it only says 7.1 in their info.

Last edited by shortyg83; 09-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.

post #64 of 345 Old 09-28-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
You sure I just checked on those devices and it says no dolby atmos. There is 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus. But no Atmos even listed as a possible sound format. I do see that if I play it from the k8500 it my receiver says Atmos, but it is weird that the video itself says it is only 7.1.

Update: Ok here is the issue. The Vizio P series apparently doesn't seem to want to send atmos for those movies. I am not sure if it requires 4k for some reason to do it, but it works in atmos movies. And while the videos for atmos say they are only 7.1 it is decoding on my receiver as 5.1.4 so atmos does seem to be working when playing from the k8500. I am not sure why it only says 7.1 in their info.
I ran into the exact same issue you are describing. I would get atmos on all uhd titles with my vizio p series to onkyo 646 via ARC, but not for the Dolby atmos demo clips. I too thought it was due to the format as the demos are capped at hdx. As a last resort I updated the onkyo and boom -the atmos light appeared. I dont have any helpful guidance to offer other that updating your receiver, but thought it would be worth checking. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Vizio P65-C1, PS4, XBOX One
Onkyo TX-NR646, Goldenear 5.1.2, Velodyne DD-15
post #65 of 345 Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

100% positive. I just ran the demos on each device (PS4, Nvidia, K8500) and my Denon x7200wa kicks on to Atmos almost immediately. No clue why it says only 7.1 but I am sure there is a reason. Worth noting the Demos do not do Atmos via ARC on at least 2 of my Samsung sets. I will test my new KS9000 to see what its capabilities are later today but I don't think the demos will work on it.

post #66 of 345 Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
100% positive. I just ran the demos on each device (PS4, Nvidia, K8500) and my Denon x7200wa kicks on to Atmos almost immediately. No clue why it says only 7.1 but I am sure there is a reason. Worth noting the Demos do not do Atmos via ARC on at least 2 of my Samsung sets. I will test my new KS9000 to see what its capabilities are later today but I don't think the demos will work on it.

Yea that seems to be the issue, it isn't working over arc, which is weird because all the real atmos movies do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 345 Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If I understand you correctly you got Atmos over ARC on RX-1060?
post #68 of 345 Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _voyager_ View Post
If I understand you correctly you got Atmos over ARC on RX-1060?
Yes you can get atmos over arc on the 1060
post #69 of 345 Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Vizio P-series and Denon X3200W and do not get DD+ over arc, can anyone with the same setup confirm this?

I already returned the x3200 and will be getting a x6200 which I feel will work since the x5200 and x7200 work.

What is odd is the receiver displays ATMOS when streaming (VUDU, Mad Max UHD) but what will happen is the receiver will act as if it doesn't know what is being sent after a few seconds into the movie. When I check the input source audio format via the Denon app it will literally change every few seconds randomly (PCM Zero, DD, DD+, ATMOS/DD+) as if it doesn't know how to decode the signal.

Its probably something that can be fixed via firmware but I'm not holding my breath and would rather upgrade anyway to a better receiver that has the potential to give the full ATMOS experience of 7.2.4.
post #70 of 345 Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Denon X3200W

Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeismo View Post
I have a Vizio P-series and Denon X3200W and do not get DD+ over arc, can anyone with the same setup confirm this?

I already returned the x3200 and will be getting a x6200 which I feel will work since the x5200 and x7200 work.

What is odd is the receiver displays ATMOS when streaming (VUDU, Mad Max UHD) but what will happen is the receiver will act as if it doesn't know what is being sent after a few seconds into the movie. When I check the input source audio format via the Denon app it will literally change every few seconds randomly (PCM Zero, DD, DD+, ATMOS/DD+) as if it doesn't know how to decode the signal.

Its probably something that can be fixed via firmware but I'm not holding my breath and would rather upgrade anyway to a better receiver that has the potential to give the full ATMOS experience of 7.2.4.
I just got a great deal on a Denon X3200W 2 days ago but I have been struggling to find a solution online as to why my receiver does not display the Atmos logo or Dolby Digital Plus. I learned quite a bit about DD+ and ARC from Scarabaeus (thanks!) after finding this thread just a few minutes ago. I have a Samsung KS9000 4k SUHD TV and I am using ARC from my TV to the receiver with multiple HDMI devices plugged in to the TV HDMI inputs. I have not tested Scarebaeus solution of doing the reverse which is to have the devices go into my receiver instead. In my current setup I have a ROKU 4 and have UHD movies from VUDU and what shows in my receiver display with the current ARC setup is DTS + Neural:X, when i manually switch the sound mode in my remote to the Dobly Digitial sound mode it says DTS + Dolby Surround. Before reading your last post I thought that possibly it was my Samsung TV that was the culprit of the ARC issue. Now, I'm not so sure anymore! I really don't want to return my Denon because I won't find another deal like this! I will post later with the status of the solution of bringing the HDMI's from my devices to this receiver.
post #71 of 345 Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I made the switch from the HDMI port on my Samsung TV to the receiver input. I can now confirm that Dolby Atmos works like a charm using a Roku 4 device and VUDU on my Denon X3200W.
aaronwt and scarabaeus like this.
post #72 of 345 Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy to report that Atmos works over ARC from a Vizio P75-C1 to a Denon x4200w when casting with Vudu. One thing to note for others who may be having trouble: the Vudu app on iOS shows every UHD title as having Atmos, but this isn't true. Both Creed and Watchmen are just standard Dolby Digital Plus. The web page shows things correctly.
post #73 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopoesis View Post
Happy to report that Atmos works over ARC from a Vizio P75-C1 to a Denon x4200w when casting with Vudu. One thing to note for others who may be having trouble: the Vudu app on iOS shows every UHD title as having Atmos, but this isn't true. Both Creed and Watchmen are just standard Dolby Digital Plus. The web page shows things correctly.
So you do not get any audio dropouts when watching a movie with ATMOS over ARC? I have the Denon x6200w and still have the same problem as when I had the x3200. What brand and how long is your HDMI cable?
post #74 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
It would be very helpful if you could list some streaming content on VUDU that you have verified to be both HDR (ideally DV) and Atmos.

Recommendations of which of those streams are the most impressive as a demo of the combined technologies also appreciated ;-).
post #75 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=fafrd;48172801]It would be very helpful if you could list some streaming content on VUDU that you have verified to be both HDR (ideally DV) and Atmos.

Star Trek Beyond and Batman vs Superman both have Atmos and Dolby Vision from Vudu.

Creed and Ultimate Watchmen both only have Dolby Vision on Vudu.

OF these four, in my opinion the only really impressive use of technology is the Dolby Vision in Ultimate Watchman, which dramatically improved the borderline unwatchable very dark scenes.
post #76 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I too have a Vizio P75 and have been able to cast Vudu from the tablet remote to my P75, get UHD resolution in DV and Atmos via ARC on my Marantz SR7010. . Initially, I didn't get any sound, but then I saw where I had hidden TV Audio from my list of inputs. Whenever I disabled this, the audio came through perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
This is a great thread. I was going to ask for confirmation that there were no Marantz AVRs that had been confirmed with Atmos-over-ARC capability but then ran into this post.

Is there a reason that the Marantz SR7010 has not been added to the running list in the first post?

Also, it would be helpful if there was an additional list added with AVRs that have been tested for and failed Atmos-over-ARC testing. Obviously, all it takes is one success to move an AVR from the failed list to the confirmed list, but it would be very helpful to seperate those AVRs that have not been tested (yet) from those that have but failed (so far).

I have a Marantz NR1606 AVR and if I know does not support Atmos-over-ARC, I could forget about finding a TV that does...
post #77 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM

[quote=ecopoesis;48172993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
It would be very helpful if you could list some streaming content on VUDU that you have verified to be both HDR (ideally DV) and Atmos.

Star Trek Beyond and Batman vs Superman both have Atmos and Dolby Vision from Vudu.

Creed and Ultimate Watchmen both only have Dolby Vision on Vudu.

OF these four, in my opinion the only really impressive use of technology is the Dolby Vision in Ultimate Watchman, which dramatically improved the borderline unwatchable very dark scenes.
Thanks. I was actually asking as much about the impact of Atmos-vs-5.1 as I was about DV-versus-SDR.

So between Star Trek Beyond and Batman vs. Superman, which do you think did a better job exploiting the capability of Atmos? And also, since we've seen neither, which did you feel was the better movie?

Thanks - this is hopefully going to end up being our Thanksgiving evening entertainment (assuming I can get the Chromecast Ultra to successfully pass DV or at least HDR10 through my Marantz NR1606 AVR by then ;-)
post #78 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM

I would say Star Trek Beyond is the better movie. DC doesn't seem to be very good at movies. To my ear, they both had pretty good Atmos mixes, but my setup is only a month old, and I haven't played all that much yet.
post #79 of 345 Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I would say Star Trek Beyond is the better movie. DC doesn't seem to be very good at movies. To my ear, they both had pretty good Atmos mixes, but my setup is only a month old, and I haven't played all that much yet.
Thanks. We've already checked out both previews and Star Trek Beyond looked better from that snapshot as well.
post #80 of 345 Old 11-15-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. We've already checked out both previews and Star Trek Beyond looked better from that snapshot as well.
I actually disagree with the above post but I am a comic book guy. BvS is the better movie (Director's Cut of course) in my opinion and I find the Atmos track to be far more immersive. I actually rewatched both back to back after your post just to compare them. Star Trek Beyond has some classic nods to the original series of movies as well as a few laughs (BvS has no humor at all). It is the better Popcorn Flick in that regard; It is fun.

post #81 of 345 Old 11-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I actually disagree with the above post but I am a comic book guy. BvS is the better movie (Director's Cut of course) in my opinion and I find the Atmos track to be far more immersive. I actually rewatched both back to back after your post just to compare them. Star Trek Beyond has some classic nods to the original series of movies as well as a few laughs (BvS has no humor at all). It is the better Popcorn Flick in that regard; It is fun.
Well, if you find the Atmos track more immersive, you've put me back on the fence.

I'll probably end up purchasing both but only want to commit to one on VUDU. Is VUDU streaming the Director's cut of BvS?

I've not purchased any content on VUDU yet and since it appears that they charge about the same as a UHD Bluray, I would rather spend that money on media.

But am awaiting the first DV-enabled UHD a Bluray players (CES ?) and need something to test/demo this Thanksgiving...
post #82 of 345 Old 11-15-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, if you find the Atmos track more immersive, you've put me back on the fence.

I'll probably end up purchasing both but only want to commit to one on VUDU. Is VUDU streaming the Director's cut of BvS?

I've not purchased any content on VUDU yet and since it appears that they charge about the same as a UHD Bluray, I would rather spend that money on media.

But am awaiting the first DV-enabled UHD a Bluray players (CES ?) and need something to test/demo this Thanksgiving...
Yes the DExtende Cut is available on Vudu. Quick question: Did you see Man Of Steel? Thoughts on it? BvS is very similar to Man Of Steel in a lot of respects.

post #83 of 345 Old 11-15-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yes the DExtende Cut is available on Vudu. Quick question: Did you see Man Of Steel? Thoughts on it? BvS is very similar to Man Of Steel in a lot of respects.
Got it - thanks.

Believe I saw Man of Steel, but that was a while ago, right? Can't say I have memory of it other than, if I thought it was lame, I would remember...

I read all of those comics (and watched Star Trek) as a kid, so I have a soft spot for most of that content...

Letting Atmos show it's stuff is my primary factor. And if the DV HDR is not noticably better than than the HD SDR Bluray (or better, 3D a Bluray) and that comes with full-bandeidth Atmos, then I rather go that route.

So I'm looking for WOW factor with both DV HDR and Atmos...
post #84 of 345 Old 11-16-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it - thanks.

Believe I saw Man of Steel, but that was a while ago, right? Can't say I have memory of it other than, if I thought it was lame, I would remember...

I read all of those comics (and watched Star Trek) as a kid, so I have a soft spot for most of that content...

Letting Atmos show it's stuff is my primary factor. And if the DV HDR is not noticably better than than the HD SDR Bluray (or better, 3D a Bluray) and that comes with full-bandeidth Atmos, then I rather go that route.

So I'm looking for WOW factor with both DV HDR and Atmos...
I can't speak to the Dolby Vision since I don't have a DV TV. I buy UHD Bluray versions of everything now (added bonus of getting 4K version of some of them on Vudu with purchase). The 4k UHD Bluray versions of both films offers superior picture and sound vs Vudu in my opinion but again DV doesn't kick in for me on Vudu so grain of salt...

post #85 of 345 Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I can't speak to the Dolby Vision since I don't have a DV TV. I buy UHD Bluray versions of everything now (added bonus of getting 4K version of some of them on Vudu with purchase). The 4k UHD Bluray versions of both films offers superior picture and sound vs Vudu in my opinion but again DV doesn't kick in for me on Vudu so grain of salt...
What TV do you have?

And what UHD Bluray player?

I'm going to be holding off on a UHD player until ones with DV materialize (hopefully next year) so this holiday season, streaming is my only option for viewing HDR (either DV or HDR10).
post #86 of 345 Old 11-21-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What TV do you have?

And what UHD Bluray player?

I'm going to be holding off on a UHD player until ones with DV materialize (hopefully next year) so this holiday season, streaming is my only option for viewing HDR (either DV or HDR10).
Sorry about the delay. I have a UN65F9000 with SEK-3500u and use the Samsung K8500 UHD player. I also have a UN55KS9000 in my bedroom but I am holding off on attaching a player to it until the next crop of them are released (in particular the Oppo). I will likely put the K8500 in the bedroom and then get a new player for my main setup. Next year I will get a new 4k set for my living room, hopefully bigger and DV capable.

post #87 of 345 Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. I have a UN65F9000 with SEK-3500u and use the Samsung K8500 UHD player. I also have a UN55KS9000 in my bedroom but I am holding off on attaching a player to it until the next crop of them are released (in particular the Oppo). I will likely put the K8500 in the bedroom and then get a new player for my main setup. Next year I will get a new 4k set for my living room, hopefully bigger and DV capable.
Thanks. Sounds like you're safely ensconced in 'Samsung World' so everything is working as expected.

Dolby is about a year behind but hopefully they catch up this Spring (and make the wait for Dolby Vision worth everyone's while).
post #88 of 345 Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can anyone please help me to know following:

LG 55UB850T can support DD+ over ARC ?
Can Avantage 850 supports DD+ over ARC ? there is some info on page 147 on below link (Owner's manual) but its not clear.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=2055818

Thanks.
post #89 of 345 Old 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post
Can anyone please help me to know following:

LG 55UB850T can support DD+ over ARC ?
Can Avantage 850 supports DD+ over ARC ? there is some info on page 147 on below link (Owner's manual) but its not clear.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=2055818

Thanks.
I don't believe any 2016 LG TVs support DD+ over ARC...
post #90 of 345 Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
On the 2nd post it states that my display (2016 Vizio M Series) and Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR444) are both supported, however I can't get anything better than DD 5.1 when casting from the VUDU app. I've tried Star Trek Beyond and Batman v Superman with no luck. When I open up the TV settings it states that the TV is seeing DD+, however the receiver isn't getting it. Anyone have any suggestions on what I may be missing?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page