Sony Pictures Launches Ultra Streaming Service - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #61 of 149 Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Did that fix your issue?
No. I ran the latest firmware update and rebooted the TV. The Ultra app is still very, very slow and cannot open my library. I am still not seeing anything under $30, but that might be because I do not know which movies to look at.

I may be having issues, because my UV library has about a thousand movies and fifty seasons of television.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 149 Old 04-09-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
No. I ran the latest firmware update and rebooted the TV. The Ultra app is still very, very slow and cannot open my library. I am still not seeing anything under $30, but that might be because I do not know which movies to look at.

I may be having issues, because my UV library has about a thousand movies and fifty seasons of television.
Wow, you need to share with me

Viper32
Wizayne likes this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
post #63 of 149 Old 04-09-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:

At this time, only Sony titles will show up in the app.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra

post #64 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi All......
As an update to this, I own Chappie and Hotel Transylvania. These two titles were $24.99 upgrade to UHD. Just a $5 discount for already owning an HDX Digital Copy is a slap in the face. Both of these were digital copies from Blu Rays. I am a bit confused why my upgrade is almost full price when I am seeing others reporting half price......none the less it is keeping me away from this app and I won't be buying into it any time soon.
post #65 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzadave80 View Post
Hi All......
As an update to this, I own Chappie and Hotel Transylvania. These two titles were $24.99 upgrade to UHD. Just a $5 discount for already owning an HDX Digital Copy is a slap in the face. Both of these were digital copies from Blu Rays. I am a bit confused why my upgrade is almost full price when I am seeing others reporting half price......none the less it is keeping me away from this app and I won't be buying into it any time soon.
I am pretty sure that is just the regular price, which is what I am seeing across the board on all of the movies I have looked at. Some are $30 and others are $25. Not compelling is a gross understatement.

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #66 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that is just the regular price, which is what I am seeing across the board on all of the movies I have looked at. Some are $30 and others are $25. Not compelling is a gross understatement.
I browsed the selection without being signed in and saw the price at $29.99. I then created an account and linked my UV library and saw that those were reduced. They also didn't say purchase, they said upgrade to UHD. Either way, not much of a deal by any means. I am soooooo tempted to get a roku 4 and watch some vudu in UHD. I saw the article says 4 free movies for new tv buyers. I wish they would honor the fact that all of the current buyers dove into 4k before content was really available, and should give us something back as a thank you for diving in.
post #67 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I browsed the selection without being signed in and saw the price at $29.99. I then created an account and linked my UV library and saw that those were reduced. They also didn't say purchase, they said upgrade to UHD. Either way, not much of a deal by any means. I am soooooo tempted to get a roku 4 and watch some vudu in UHD. I saw the article says 4 free movies for new tv buyers. I wish they would honor the fact that all of the current buyers dove into 4k before content was really available, and should give us something back as a thank you for diving in.
Oh, that is interesting. I've got around a thousand UV titles, so it is possible that what I am seeing is due to upgrade pricing only being available on some movies. I agree that it is not compelling and I have no plans to bite.

The problem with your Vudu plan is that the Roku 4 does not support HDR and the movies are not cheaper. The other ugly thing with Vudu right now is that they only support Dolby Vision, so those of us with HDR 10 sets (Sony and Samsung users, among others) are out of luck.

I'm in a wait and see mode at the moment, because I do not want to invest much money until I see how this plays out. I've already got thousands of dollars invested in UV and DMA licensing, so I am going to be watching how that evolves in terms of upgrades (my suspicion is that there will be some kind of upgrade on the UV side, but probably not on the DMA side).

post #68 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, that is interesting. I've got around a thousand UV titles, so it is possible that what I am seeing is due to upgrade pricing only being available on some movies. I agree that it is not compelling and I have no plans to bite.

The problem with your Vudu plan is that the Roku 4 does not support HDR and the movies are not cheaper. The other ugly thing with Vudu right now is that they only support Dolby Vision, so those of us with HDR 10 sets (Sony and Samsung users, among others) are out of luck.

I'm in a wait and see mode at the moment, because I do not want to invest much money until I see how this plays out. I've already got thousands of dollars invested in UV and DMA licensing, so I am going to be watching how that evolves in terms of upgrades (my suspicion is that there will be some kind of upgrade on the UV side, but probably not on the DMA side).
I am right there with you too. I think it is best to wait it out. Besides, my 4k set makes my current blu rays look great! I put in Transformers: dark of the moon, and did a compare to the Ultra-Flix title just to see the difference. I couldn't say with full confidence that I saw an improvement. I don't believe ultraflix is doing vision or HDR10, plus it is a highly compressed video format to allow it to be streamed. I just don't see streaming UHD being a great thing EVER, not until we develop a system that will allow us to download a little bit of the content ahead of the playback. I think new tv sets should be given a solid state 50GB drive, and a streaming service that flashes 10-15 minutes of playback in front of what you see. Buys the system some time to put it all back together nicely, and be a true UHD experience.
post #69 of 149 Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Hi All......
I found out how it works.

If your UV Sony title is redeemed in other places like VUDU and not on the Sony picture website. Then you will see full price even though they are Sony titles and not get the upgrade discount .

Check your Sony titles here: if the titles are not in the "show only Sony pictures content"
http://sonypicturesstore.com/mylibrary.html
then you will not get the discount.

It is kind of stupid, and hope they can fix it.

4k UHD on Ultra app does have a noticeable difference over HD. I watched Fury and the details and colors are much better, and Fury isn't even HDR content.
turls likes this.
post #70 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am right there with you too. I think it is best to wait it out. Besides, my 4k set makes my current blu rays look great! I put in Transformers: dark of the moon, and did a compare to the Ultra-Flix title just to see the difference. I couldn't say with full confidence that I saw an improvement. I don't believe ultraflix is doing vision or HDR10, plus it is a highly compressed video format to allow it to be streamed. I just don't see streaming UHD being a great thing EVER, not until we develop a system that will allow us to download a little bit of the content ahead of the playback. I think new tv sets should be given a solid state 50GB drive, and a streaming service that flashes 10-15 minutes of playback in front of what you see. Buys the system some time to put it all back together nicely, and be a true UHD experience.
The HDR10 content from Netflix and Amazon looks great, assuming you've got the bandwidth.

post #71 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post

If your UV Sony title is redeemed in other places like VUDU and not on the Sony picture website. Then you will see full price even though they are Sony titles and not get the upgrade discount .

Check your Sony titles here: if the titles are not in the "show only Sony pictures content"

4k UHD on Ultra app does have a noticeable difference over HD. I watched Fury and the details and colors are much better, and Fury isn't even HDR content.
Fury is HDR

My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #72 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. That is amazingly stupid. Which site you redeem the code on should have no bearing on it whatsoever, as the license is from Sony via DECE. These guys seem bound and determined to alienate customers with this service. I know I am increasingly disinclined to use it.
CCsoftball7 likes this.

post #73 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Wow. That is amazingly stupid. Which site you redeem the code on should have no bearing on it whatsoever, as the license is from Sony via DECE. These guys seem bound and determined to alienate customers with this service. I know I am increasingly disinclined to use it.
If true, it's even worse than that. I specifically recall attempting to redeem a UV copy of Leon the Professional (Supreme Cinema series), which is a Sony Pictures movie, from Sony's site (following the instructions that came on the redemption code slip) and it kept kicking back errors that were most likely due to an issue with the site. I know this because I gave up trying to redeem it from Sony's site and used Vudu instead. The code worked on Vudu's site. If this means that I wouldn't qualify for the discounted upgrade price then that's rediculous, as it would have been a direct result of technical issue with Sony's site.
post #74 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

At this point, I'm just hoping Vudu decides to support HDR10 as well as Dolby Vision and releases a UHD app for the Android TV platform. I am hoping that there will be some sort of reasonable upgrade path and I am hoping that Sony and Samsung customers don't get screwed in the HDR10/DV war. I don't see why we should as I think this is a DD/DTS situation, but you never know. A lot of the content providers seem pretty tone deaf to consumers just now.

post #75 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6388 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
Quote:
You can just own the regular BR version and upgrade it for 12.00 to uhd. Now that's allot cheaper here were I got my degree.

Viper32
Or you can own the UHD BD UV version and stream the UHD HDR version for no extra cost from the Sony Ultra HD app.

I purchased all of the initial Sony UHD BD titles but unfortunately I only purchased one from the US. The rest I purchased from Amazon Canada. So the US title I have is Chappie. By redeeming the UHD BD UV code in the Sony Ultra HD app, it gives me full access to stream the UHD HDR title and extras. (As well as give me access to the HDX streaming from Vudu and other linked services to my UV account)

Unfortunately the Canada UV codes won't work here in the US. If I had known this a couple of months ago and the Sony UHD app had also launched back then, then I would have purchased most of the titles from a US retailer. But I also saved over 25% by getting them from Amazon Canada because of the favorable exchange rate.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-12-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #76 of 149 Old 04-12-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
It is possible to have this app on my Sony XBR65X850B?

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
post #77 of 149 Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
It is possible to have this app on my Sony XBR65X850B?
No. Only Android TV Sony TVs.

post #78 of 149 Old 04-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have several 4K titles from my FMP-X10, anyone tried to ask if they would transfer or provide codes to redeem on the ULTRA app?
post #79 of 149 Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have several 4K titles from my FMP-X10, anyone tried to ask if they would transfer or provide codes to redeem on the ULTRA app?
I am not sure, I do not own any that way. I would contact Sony and see what they say.

Viper

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
post #80 of 149 Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Prices appear to have been reduced to $25.99 on older titles now. I'm not sure, but I think they were all $29.99.

post #81 of 149 Old 04-22-2016, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Prices appear to have been reduced to $25.99 on older titles now. I'm not sure, but I think they were all $29.99.
Yeah not bad at that price for streamers.

post #82 of 149 Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Crickets

post #83 of 149 Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New app released. No more gray bar at the top.

post #84 of 149 Old 04-30-2016, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I bought an $8 and a $6 bluray disc. I'm going to try to upgrade to 4k on the app. Hopefully, I'll save a few bucks.

post #85 of 149 Old 04-30-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I now own Elysium and After Earth and paid about $37 total for both.
aaronwt likes this.

post #86 of 149 Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Well, I now own Elysium and After Earth and paid about $37 total for both.
Yeah for the price it is a bargain to me.

post #87 of 149 Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah for the price it is a bargain to me.
I'm going to try the same with Ghostbusters.

post #88 of 149 Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone get multi-channel sound out of this? Old press coverage said it would be in surround but I can't find a way to crank it up (ARC or optical).

I will say Elysium looks really good on my x940d. Definitely HDR and not much behind 4k Blu-Ray. My router is moving around 20 mbs average with spikes of around 30-35...even saw 40 once. This is on a 200 mbs service. Sound still stinks though.
post #89 of 149 Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
UHD Addict

I thought it was stereo pcm audio?

post #90 of 149 Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So seriously, is this service limited to stereo audio only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , sony pictures , ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page