Sony Pictures Launches Ultra Streaming Service - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1 of 143 Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked: 4190
Sony Pictures Launches Ultra Streaming Service

Yesterday, Sony Pictures announced that its latest streaming service, called Ultra, will launch on April 4. First announced at CES last January, the service will start by offering a variety of movies from Sony Pictures in 4K/UHD resolution, many with high dynamic range using HDR10, "digital extras" (presumably similar to Blu-ray bonus features), and UltraViolet functionality to allow various devices to share the same content.

The service, which is powered by the online Sony Pictures Store, will be available only on new Sony 4K/UHD TVs in the US. Customers who buy eligible TVs with Ultra this summer will receive four complimentary movies when they sign up for the service, which will help take a bit of the sting out of the $30 purchase price for each movie. (Ultra will not offer rentals at launch.) Those who have already purchased HD versions of available titles from the Sony Pictures Store will be able to upgrade them to 4K/UHD/HDR on Ultra for a special discounted price, though we don't know how significant that discount will be.

As you might imagine, only Sony Pictures titles will be available for now, including new releases such as Concussion, The Night Before, and The Walk as well as catalog titles like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Ghostbusters.

Jake Winett, VP of Consumer Services & Advanced Platforms at Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, says, "Consumers are rapidly upgrading their living rooms to 4K, and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's new Ultra streaming service will provide a premium viewing experience to satisfy growing demand for 4K movies and television shows. Ultra takes advantage of the latest industry innovations—4K resolution, high dynamic range, a wider color spectrum, digital movie extras, and UltraViolet interoperability—so viewers get the most out of their televisions and their movie collections."

To which I would add, so viewers get the most out of their Sony televisions and Sony Pictures movie collections. Still, anything that gets more HDR content into the market is good news in my book.
CCsoftball7, C-Dub006 and freeman4 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 03-31-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
I wonder if this will be supported on the PS4 or PS4.5 and if so, whether downloads will be allowed like I can do with HDX from Vudu on the PS3.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #3 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 772
I see it says only new Sony TVs. So Ultra will not work or be supported on last years models?

post #4 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 341
So this is a hybrid Netflix-style streaming service and full purchase-to-own download service? I'm not totally clear on this. Now we just need streaming services from all the other studios and the dream of a la carte programming will be a reality... for the low, low price of $679.99/mo.
post #5 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
I see it says only new Sony TVs. So Ultra will not work or be supported on last years models?
It's for the complimentary 4 movies. IIRC
UHD should be supported irrespective.
post #6 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
So this is a hybrid Netflix-style streaming service and full purchase-to-own download service? I'm not totally clear on this. Now we just need streaming services from all the other studios and the dream of a la carte programming will be a reality... for the low, low price of $679.99/mo.
Its just buy and stream. No download available. Therefore I don't expect high bitrates...

Picture: JVC-X35 to 105" Screen
Media Player: A-500, A-500 PRO
Review: Popcorn Hour A-500
Review: Dune Solo 4K
Review: Zappiti Duo 4K HDR
post #7 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

When I calculate the cost of all the streaming services, I should have kept my DirecTV. I wonder if will appear on my 7200 Sony DVD player or the 4K t.v.

KAHN: Stay or go..., but do it because it what you wish to do

Last edited by ROMEO 1; 03-31-2016 at 06:58 AM. Reason: All text did not appear on the post
post #8 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Since PS4 can't support 4k (that I know of) and most of Sony's revenue from such ventures comes from that platform, this might be doomed to fail. Also, the lack of rentals will be a significant deterrent.
Ph8te and mtbdudex like this.

I like Ice Cream!
post #9 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Since PS4 can't support 4k (that I know of) and most of Sony's revenue from such ventures comes from that platform, this might be doomed to fail. Also, the lack of rentals will be a significant deterrent.
current rumor out there is that there will be a PS4.5 with the ability to do 4k and such, same for a xbox 1.5 or whatever you wanna call it, Spec bump
post #10 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Not sure how this is any different (besides behind the curve) than the UltraFlix UHD streaming service I already have on my last-year's model Sony UHD set, since UltraFlix already has rentals...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #11 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Not sure how this is any different (besides behind the curve) than the UltraFlix UHD streaming service I already have on my last-year's model Sony UHD set, since UltraFlix already has rentals...
Ultraflix is not owned by any of the studios. They are strictly a streaming service provider that licenses content from the various studios. Afaik, Ultraflix does not support HDR and they are strictly a rental service (no subscription and no purchases). Like Netflix, their licenses are mostly short term and the catalog is rotated on a regular basis with new content coming in and old content going out. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of the origins of some of Ultraflix's 4K content. They have movies that, afaik, the studios have never remastered in 4K. This begs the question "Who is remastering them and how is it being done?" Are they simply upscaling 2K masters?

Sony's Ultra streaming service is tied directly to Sony Pictures and their growing library of UHD and UHD HDR content. It is not a subscription service and they do not currently offer rentals, though I assume that they will in the future. You buy UHD movies from them, which can then be streamed using Sony's Ultra app, which will initially only be available on select 2015 & 2016 Sony UHD TV's. It seems likely that this would be expanded to some sort of set top box (perhaps a new HDR-capable 4K media player or an updated PS4.5) as Sony would want to support owners of their projectors as well.

TBH, I don't understand why Sony felt the need to start over with this new service and essentially abandon their Video Unlimited service and FMP-X10 4K media player. IMO, moving from a purchase and download model to a purchase and stream model is a huge mistake. Downloads have far greater potential for quality and they offer better peace of mind to the customers as they don't need to worry what will happen to their purchases if the service goes under (provided all of the DRM for the downloads are handled locally and not via. some phone home mechanism). Combine that with the fact that they only play on Sony TV's at present and only have Sony titles (most of which are available or will become available from other streaming/download service providers such as Kaleidescape and Vudu) and it seems destined to fail. Who wants to have to search Ultra for Sony Pictures UHD titles, Vudu for Warner Brothers UHD titles, M-Go for Fox Studios UHD titles, etc., using two or more devices (since no single device supports all of the services)?
post #12 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 4219
@HockeyoAJB Ultraflix do their own 4K "masters"....its been posted about somewhere in this forum.

Sent from nowhere
post #13 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@HockeyoAJB Ultraflix do their own 4K "masters"....its been posted about somewhere in this forum.

Sent from nowhere
What source material do they use for the remastering? If the movie was shot on film or digitally at a resolution higher than 2K, but the DI was finished at 2K, is Ultraflix merely taking the finished 2K master and upscaling it or are they going back to the higher resolution assets? Is the original director, cinematographer, or visual effects team involved in any way? Does anyone from the studio actually sign off on the finished product? Does the new 4K master belong soley to Ultraflix or can the studios license it out to other distributors?
post #14 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 4219
Not sure I believe they do both. They have an in house mastering/upscaling group that handles their titles. As far as the specifics, again not sure. Some if not most of the information has been discussed before (on tapatalk, so finding won't be easy) in different threads. Sorry I couldn't give the needed answers, just going off my memory of past posts.

Sent from nowhere
post #15 of 143 Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 10052 Post(s)
Liked: 8925
This "ultra" service is ONLY available on sony tvs. and these prices of $30 for a lower quality movie are rediculous. should be 15-20 tops.
KidHorn, C-Dub006 and jeffs777 like this.
post #16 of 143 Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
It actually could, the original PS4 model has more than enough CPU and GPU power to render 4K video content, and HDMI 1.4 has enough bandwidth to deliver 4K up to 30 FPS, which is what all movies and TV shows are filmed at less than anyway. Sony *could* issue a firmware update for the PS4 that worked with this service, and it would work just fine with HDMI 1.4 since Sony has no 4K 60 FPS content. But they won't.

The only reason why they don't is because like the idiots that they are, they insist on only allowing 4K videos on devices which are HDCP 2.2 compliant, which means not selling content to the existing 40 million+ PS4 owners. HDCP 2.2 is an anti-piracy protection for HDMI that is already cracked wide open and pirates have safely ignored and have since released every Netflix and Amazon 4K series as well as several Ultra HD Blu-rays to the Internet. So why Hollywood continues on insisting every device have this clearly compromised copy protection, who the hell knows? Idiots. HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 devices are just as vulnerable to screen capture piracy as HDCP 1.x/HDMI 1.4 devices but Hollywood is too stupid to realize that.

Here's a screenshot comparison of Breaking Bad in 4K, one from Netflix, and the other from Sony's old Video Unlimited 4K download service. As you can see, HDCP 2.2 did an admirable job of stopping these images from being captured, LOL.

Left Sony / Right Netflix

Now if Netflix's streams are this poor in comparison to a download service, how big of a downgrade do you think Sony's streaming service is going to be from their download service for the FMP-X10? Because I doubt that they are going to be doing a much better job than Netflix. I'd bet anything that the titles they put on this service look inferior to the Video Unlimited 4K versions.

Sony is losing waaaaay more money by not allowing the old PS4s access to this service all in the name of a futile effort to prevent piracy. Their stupidity is costing them more revenue than pirates screen capturing their content with HDCP strippers.
soren and morbidcorpse like this.

Last edited by wigglywaffles; 04-01-2016 at 04:23 AM.
post #17 of 143 Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
This "ultra" service is ONLY available on sony tvs. and these prices of $30 for a lower quality movie are rediculous. should be 15-20 tops.
I agree. If I'm going to spend $30, I want a UHD blu-ray disk with HDR and Atmos.
post #18 of 143 Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Still making the mistake of only offering it on Sony TVs, really? With 4K HDR being scarce, they should take advantage and offer it to anyone with a compatible TV. This is why services like VUDU get my money.
post #19 of 143 Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I will be interested to see what kind of deals they offer to people who already own UV copies of movies. They hinted that they will offer some kind of attractive upgrade program and that might be fun for a few movies.
thrillcat likes this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #20 of 143 Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Because Sony never learned from the format wars they lost. Making the service exclusive to Sony TV's is not very business savvy.
jeffs777 likes this.
post #21 of 143 Old 04-02-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Sony Streaming

The Sony X1 and X10 server/puck really never worked out, most are just dust collectors with a descent Sony Xperia tablet . Only worked inside the US unless you created an elaborate way to trick the server into believing you were ( and was not) in the US.

Another quick grab gimmick, Sony gets the money and you get little more than frustration. Sorry Sony, been burnt one too many times, have the empty dust collecting equipment to prove it.

Buy a 4K Blu ray play and the discs, you'll save a bundle and have the best resolution ( good or bad) there is .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 675ESB , Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Anthem 1120 AVR , 7.2.4 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203
Lumagen Pro 4440 , Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
post #22 of 143 Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
The PS4k is all but confirmed at this point. I am assuming Sony decided to make a PS4.5 specifically to push their UHD movie service and UHD TVs as well as to jumpstart the life of UHD Blu ray.

The excuse will be the prevalence of 4k/UHD tvs in peoples homes and since 4k is becoming the standard, they wanted a version of the PS4 to match that standard.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #23 of 143 Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I wonder if this will be supported on the PS4 or PS4.5 and if so, whether downloads will be allowed like I can do with HDX from Vudu on the PS3.

--Darin
It won't be supported by the PS4 because of the lack of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. But it will be supported by the PS4k for certain.
darinp2 likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #24 of 143 Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Anyone know if these free complementary movies are pre selected or if you get to choose them yourself?
post #25 of 143 Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 985
For what it's worth, the streaming quality (albeit a small sample) was excellent when I tried it out this morning.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #26 of 143 Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wink

I'm logged into the App - how do I get my free movies? I have a 2015 930c…hopefully they include us

Last edited by johndoejohndoes; 04-04-2016 at 09:54 PM.
post #27 of 143 Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I agree. If I'm going to spend $30, I want a UHD blu-ray disk with HDR and Atmos.
I also agree, for the price of $30.00 I would rather have the media on hand and not be subjected to the level of quality based on how good is your streaming abilities. Ultra 4K, VUDU and Netflix has this covered pretty well and not having a rental option is a bad idea.

KAHN: Stay or go..., but do it because it what you wish to do
post #28 of 143 Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEO 1 View Post
I also agree, for the price of $30.00 I would rather have the media on hand and not be subjected to the level of quality based on how good is your streaming abilities. Ultra 4K, VUDU and Netflix has this covered pretty well and not having a rental option is a bad idea.
I think it will go to rental eventually. The best option is buy the disc, get the stream as your digital copy.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #29 of 143 Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is great for the five people who own a Sony TV.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #30 of 143 Old 04-05-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Free movies seems to be .......... Well, unheard of at Sony. Each different Sony group says to call the other Sony group and they all point fingers. One asked me to send screen shots of the promotion and or where did i see it. I sent and they replied that this is not their group and to call hardware support. I even sent them their own press release.

Anyways, if anyone else figures it out. Please post. This was directed at the other 4 people.

The movies are only in 2 channel stereo anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , sony pictures , ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page