Is There a Way to Watch a Video as it is Recording on a LAN? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is There a Way to Watch a Video as it is Recording on a LAN?

Would like to watch videos that are currently being recorded on one computer on my LAN from another computer on the same LAN. Is there a way to do this?

I can use network sharing and I can see the video file increasing in size as it's being recorded but I can only play to the point the recording was at when I started watching. Any way around this problem besides starting over and over again and again? Media Server? Network Drive?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

dmatch

Last edited by dmatch; 06-14-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
Would like to watch videos that are currently being recorded on one computer on my LAN from another computer on the same LAN. Is there a way to do this?

I can use network sharing and I can see the video file increasing in size as it's being recorded but I can only play to the point the recording was at when I started watching. Any way around this problem besides starting over and over again and again? Media Server? Network Drive?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

DRCars
This sounds like it would really depend on what is doing the recording. The problem is that when you are recording to say a single file (you mentioned you can see it growing) that file is more than likely locked by the application that is doing the recording. At the same time a lot of the file can / will be stored in memory and not actually written to the disc in real time. So unless the application supports some kind of a streaming / live view (like with Security Cameras) it might not be possible.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The recording program may very well have the file locked but it still lets me watch the video up to the point where it had already recorded when I started watching the video. For example, if 15 minutes have been recorded when I start watching then I can only watch 15 minutes of the video even though 15 minutes more has been written to the video file by the time I watch the first 15 minutes. Apparently, the viewing program assumes the file is complete when opened so it doesn't attempt to play any more than the file size when opened.

Just thought there might be some way around that gotcha.

DRCars
post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2016, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found an answer to my problem.

I installed the newest versions of VLC and MPC-HC, and, unlike my older versions, they will continue to play a file being recorded unless the file is locked as funhouse69 suggested and then they won't play it at all.

dmatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page