AVS Forum banner

Apple TV 4 and second zone on Denon

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  thebard 
#1 ·
Hi,
I found some threads about this, but I don't understand the audio extractor devices that I am seeing to buy on Amazon.
Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digit...8455461&sr=8-4&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+extractor

There are several that look similar.

My reciever is Networked Denon 1912, using RCA for second zone output.
I use Apple TV to watch movies in main room.
I use it to play music outside in second zone.

These boxes all seem to have 3 settings: Pass, 5.1, and 2.1
They say that if you set it to 5.1, you will get surround sound but no RCA output from the extractor.
If you set it to 2.1, you get the RCA output but do not get the surround sound. Does mean you don't get the surround through the HDMI output? In other words, if I set it to 2.1 so I can play music outside, is the HDMI going to give me stereo output inside? Or is the stereo output only for the RCA outs on the extractor?

I don't want to have to switch the switch on the box to 5.1 every time I watch a movie, and to 2.1 every time I play music outside.

Is that what I would need to do with this?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but thanks for any help, I did call Jtech support (device above) to ask and they barely spoke English, I could not understand what she said.

Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
I've played with those extractors for my ATV3 in a second zone, but only the SPDIF digital to RCA models. In the end, I ended up getting a used Airport Express off of Ebay (they go for about $30). They have an analog audio out and act as an Airplay receiver. Just turn on the Airplay speaker function and plug it into an analog input of your receiver. As a bonus, you can extend your wireless network and listen to something different if someone is using the Apple TV on Zone 1.

If you don't go with an Airport Express solution, I believe you are stuck with 2 ch audio on Zone 1 so you get analog output on the RCA connectors of the box for Zone 2. I bet that the switch setting of 2.1 sets the HDMI input to report itself as a 2 channel device to the AppleTV so the Apple TV sends only 2 channel PCM. This will limit your Zone 1 and 2 to two channel audio. I had a similar experience with my AppleTV 3. I ended up setting it up in 2 channel mode to get audio in Zone 2 resulting with 2 channel audio in Zone 1.

My experience with digital to analog audio converters with my ATV3:

The first one converted AC3 to analog but the sound dropped out about every ten seconds. Unfortunately I couldn't return it since the return window ended. Since it decoded AC3, it allowed me keep the AppleTV set to Dolby Digital or Auto (but it sucked due to dropouts). I couldn't find one of these (5.1 AC3 decode to analog) that worked with HDMI, only SPDIF.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01786HTXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then purchased this one which only converts 2 channel PCM to analog. It requires you to to keep the AppleTV set on PCM. This one works great but I won't get Dolby Digital when watching movies in the first zone. I believe this is the same problem that you are faced with. It isn't much of an issue for me since my wife and kids can't tell the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DIRI6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#3 ·
I had the same challenge with my ATV4 and analog zone 2. I ended up daisy-chaining two devices: an hdmi audio extractor and then an optical digital decoder. The extractor converts the hdmi multichannel to optical multichannel, and then the decoder (not a straight converter, but a decoder) takes the audio to 2-ch rca.

So the whole chain looks like:
Atv > hdmi cable > audio extractor > optical cable > audio decoder > rca cable > receiver zone 2.

This will only work up to 5.1, but my system is just 5.1 anyway. I can post the amazon links if you're interested.

#4 ·
Bard,
I would like to see the devices you mention.
Would be grateful if you post the links,
This sounds like a reasonable solution, as does the Airport express idea.
I don't want to have to remember to flip a switch in there every time I do something.
Thanks!

Scott

#7 · (Edited)
The airport express would stream audio directly from your mobile device. And you would get a 3.5mm to dual-rca plug to go into your avr, that's no problem.

And do a search on amazon... That optical converter was $39 when I bought it, and the extractor was $23. There are identical, less expensive devices under different names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.