Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1546Likes

post #5761 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I was just going to tell you that. Streaming right now in my hotel room!

I use MakeMKV as well, but I also have software that will rip a BD to M2TS with all audio and caption tracks intact. My Sony BD player needs them in M2TS for captions to work. The same file in MKV shows captions available but won't display them. PGS captions are tough.
The streaming stick I have model (3600X) seems to be plagued by a problem of outputting video too dark so dark movies are crushed. there is a thread on this on the ROKU forums, and I noticed this when I use HDMI passthrough via the sound bar. Something is triggering the ROKU to output too dark. I have confirmed two things. It's not as bad when directly connected to the TV, and it's ONLY the stick with this problem The Premiere+ Apple TV, and Sony Blu-ray all don't have this issue when connected to the switch via the HDMI input to the sound bar.

A good movie to reproduce this issue with is Tron Legacy 2. On the opening scene of the scrolling grid lines. If it's crushing the darks you won't see the grid lines, and when the vide3o is being passed normally you will.

The defect only seems to surface if the ROKU streaming stick is not on a direct connection to the TV, at least for me. On the thread I looked at, it was also documented it was a known issue with the ROKU 3.
FYI: the thread documenting the problem is here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94746

As Far as SBN goes, I called my mother today and walked her on getting her ROKU updated over the phone so she is all set now as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
The streaming stick I have model (3600X) seems to be plagued by a problem of outputting video too dark so dark movies are crushed. there is a thread on this on the ROKU forums, and I noticed this when I use HDMI passthrough via the sound bar. Something is triggering the ROKU to output too dark. I have confirmed two things. It's not as bad when directly connected to the TV, and it's ONLY the stick with this problem The Premiere+ Apple TV, and Sony Blu-ray all don't have this issue when connected to the switch via the HDMI input to the sound bar.

A good movie to reproduce this issue with is Tron Legacy 2. On the opening scene of the scrolling grid lines. If it's crushing the darks you won't see the grid lines, and when the vide3o is being passed normally you will.

The defect only seems to surface if the ROKU streaming stick is not on a direct connection to the TV, at least for me. On the thread I looked at, it was also documented it was a known issue with the ROKU 3.
FYI: the thread documenting the problem is here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94746

As Far as SBN goes, I called my mother today and walked her on getting her ROKU updated over the phone so she is all set now as well.
Do you see the crush with Plex, or using RMP? I can access my Plex server from the hotel, but not Serviio. I can test Tron: Legacy from my hotel with my stick. I haven't noticed the crush, but I haven't used the Stick much when I'm home.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows. Other players and TVs as well.
post #5763 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you see the crush with Plex, or using RMP? I can access my Plex server from the hotel, but not Serviio. I can test Tron: Legacy from my hotel with my stick. I haven't noticed the crush, but I haven't used the Stick much when I'm home.
When I tested it tonight it showed up with both and as stated above you're more likely yo see the crush if you do something like connect the stick to an AVR then TV, any time it's not directly connected to a TV. Based on the thread I linked though people were having it both wats, so maybe you can reproduce it.

post #5764 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I tested it tonight it showed up with both and as stated above you're more likely yo see the crush if you do something like connect the stick to an AVR then TV, any time it's not directly connected to a TV. Based on the thread I linked though people were having it both wats, so maybe you can reproduce it.
OK, watching TRON Legacy right now on my hotel TV. Not sure if it's a fair test, since I have no control of the video settings on this TV. However, it is a nice quality LG that seems to turn the backlighting off with no signal. I could see the grid lines, although they were quite dim. When I get home Friday evening I'll watch it on my Samsung. The other potential issue is I have to set the bitrate pretty low for my hotel internet speed. I'm only at 4 Mbps/720p resolution, and that could impact the image as well.

Naturally, I'm not going through an AVR here either!

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows. Other players and TVs as well.
post #5765 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, watching TRON Legacy right now on my hotel TV. Not sure if it's a fair test, since I have no control of the video settings on this TV. However, it is a nice quality LG that seems to turn the backlighting off with no signal. I could see the grid lines, although they were quite dim. When I get home Friday evening I'll watch it on my Samsung. The other potential issue is I have to set the bitrate pretty low for my hotel internet speed. I'm only at 4 Mbps/720p resolution, and that could impact the image as well.

Naturally, I'm not going through an AVR here either!
Using your home setup is probably the ideal way to test this.

For me, I tested the Apple TV (4th generation ) ROKU Premiere+, and Sony BDP, as well as the Streaming stick. Only the streaming stick crushed the blacks when using the sound bar's HDMI for pass through with the switch so I have a direct HDMI connection to the bar for audio, and the HDMI out to TV for video. I would think if it was the sound bar causing issues, any device routed through it would have similar issues. Since only the stick does it, and there is a thread on ROKU's forum about people having the same type of issues, I think it's pretty safe to assume it the stick has video processing issues somewhere.

Once you get home it should be easier hopefully to see what's going on.

I did want to mention that my 4K compatible Sony does bring out dark details more then the 1080p only model.
The 4K Sony is triluminus, and the 1080p isn't. Also, the 1080p is a 2015 model while the 4k is a 2016.

Hopefully this adds some useful information for later use.

EDIT: I ran the AVS 709 calibration disc in the BDP connected to the setup with the 5.1 bar, and all test patterns registered correct calibration settings I applied. This confirms that the HDMI switch and sound bar pass through aren't screwing up the signal being received by the TV.

Last edited by MacinMan; 07-24-2017 at 06:20 PM.
post #5766 of 6901 Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
So, now I fire up the ultra and Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, YouTube, and several others are no longer on my home page.
When I try to add them I get a message "Could not add 'Netflix'.
Did a reset but it didn't help.
I had posted earlier about Netflix not connecting after the 7.7 update. Seems it did that again after the recent 4108 build update too. Netflix didn't seem to know I was connected. I exited twice or more before running the network check. Connected after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.Archer View Post
I've owned an Ultra for some months now but cannot connect to Netflix. When trying to connect, I lose internet connection completely, and have to hit menu to restore connection. All other apps connect correctly including 4k HDR. I've tried removing Netflix and reinstalling several times. I have restored the Ultra back to factory defaults 3 X and reinstalled all my apps which all work except Netflix. I used the secret menu initially to set 4.2.2 and lost display so restored the Ultra to default. I have not connected to Netflix since. I have 2 other Roku 3's which work fine.
Any ideas ?
I never had an issue with Netflix unexpectedly not connecting until 7.7 update but it's still connecting after the recent 4108 build update. Had to verify the network connection after 7.7 updates.

@ ALL
Hulu has been odd with autoplay disabled since the 7.7 update. After an episode, sometimes I land on watch list series page with episode I just watched in queue to watch again or I land on episode page that may only have other episodes (incomplete season listing) with option to add episode to watch list.

Before the 7.7 update, with autoplay disabled, I'd always land on series page in watch list with next episode queued on press of watch list logo with the next episode below as verification that I'd go to next episode on press (as I recall). I could easily play next episode before. But now I have to go fetch it first. Thanks Roku now put it back to the way it was.

I haven't removed the hulu app, rebooted, added and authorized BUT wondered IF any one else had this issue?

Update: I haven't used Netflix much to know how often this happens but I also have seen the need to reload the application to fill the blank cards when exiting a steam. Does not auto populate.

Some apps have been buggy since 7.7 update.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by brotony; 07-24-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #5767 of 6901 Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@atc98092 : I've found another issue with Plex and the ROKU Premiere+, and possibly the Ultra suffers this too.

What I have found is: if I start a movie in the Plex channel that requires transcoding, if I stop it and come back to it later the audio is usually gone. The only way I've found to get it back is to restart the ROKU. I did an experiment this morning with TRON Legacy, and set the quality to original quality, and for audio I selected a standard DTS track, and got a direct stream for both audio and video with working audio. I was able to confirm I got DTS passthrough as the DTS LED came on, on the sound bar, and I checked the Plex Now playing section and the stream to the ROKU was indeed direct play for both audio/video.

Here is where things get funny. I then tried Transformers with full quality and AC3 5.1 since it didn't have standard DTS and got video and no audio. Forcing the ROKU into stereo mode brought back audio in stereo, rebooting it brought back audio in surround. The issue doesn't seem to be connected to the 5.1 sound bar setup. It seems to be connected with the ROKU processing surround sound in Plex. Because the audio loss happened on both TVs and one has a 2.1 bar connected to the TV by optical. What I can also confirm at this point is, the issue seems to be Plex specific with the complete loss of audio as well because services such as Netflix amazon, VUDU, etc work fine. Of course channels with stereo audio also remain fine.

My conclusion at this point is to either use the ROKU for stereo only, or not to use Plex. I did want to mention the streaming stick doesn't have the audio loss issue with Plex, but it has the crushed blacks issue, so neither unit is 100% dependable right now. (especially if I want 5.1)
Both units are running 7.7.0 build 4108.
post #5768 of 6901 Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really can't test any of that from my hotel, although I could see if the audio disappears when stopping and returning with the Stick. Since being mobile I have to transcode everything, it might not be a valid comparison.

Dan
post #5769 of 6901 Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really can't test any of that from my hotel, although I could see if the audio disappears when stopping and returning with the Stick. Since being mobile I have to transcode everything, it might not be a valid comparison.
Yeah, tried starting TRON again, exiting Plex and restarting the movie. No sound issues. Of course, being connected to a TV it's going to default to stereo. I'll try to remember to test this when I get home Friday.

Dan
post #5770 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
replacement Roku Premiere Plus STILL has HDCP purple screen issues!

Hi All,

After going back and forth with Roku for weeks, sending them core dumps, having them ultimately tell me I need to replace my unit, and them sending me a new one, and after ensuring the new unit has the 7.7 firmware, the new unit STILL has HDCP purple screen issues. It only happens when the unit wakes up out of low power mode and it is always fixed when i reboot the device. I emailed Roku back on my same thread for the original unit and they said "As you are facing the same issue with the replaced unit I request you to check with tv vendor regarding this issue.". I told them this is unacceptable and I don't mind sending more core dumps from my device but that if ultimately this is simply a flawed product they need to refund my money altogether. I'm waiting to hear back.

I realize that other users/owners on this thread have had the same trouble with the Roku Premiere Plus, even returning the unit and the replacement unit having the same problems ... but has anyone had these issues with the Roku Ultra? If those models have a better track record then I may ask Roku if they'll send me one of those instead. If they want me to pay the difference I'd be happy with that too, just as long as in finally have something that actually works.

Thanks for any help!
post #5771 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Is there a problem with Youtube app for HDR videos? I found some clips that have HDR badge are not really showing in HDR, they don't look anywhere close to HDR in terms of color and brightness. Here is one example.

post #5772 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, tried starting TRON again, exiting Plex and restarting the movie. No sound issues. Of course, being connected to a TV it's going to default to stereo. I'll try to remember to test this when I get home Friday.
Thanks for testing what you can while away from home. By the way, the Streaming stick doesn't have the audio issues. It only seems to be the Premiere+, and for me it didn't matter if it was on a stereo sound bar, or 5.1. What made the difference in stopping the problem on that unit was to disable surround completely in the audio settings so everything was forced out in stereo. Most of my audio / (dark video on the stick ) issues showed up was after incorporating the ROKUs into a 5.1 setup. I did however communicate with the person yesterday who originally posted the issue with the 3600 stick, and dark video. He basically said, the only way to work around that is for the TV to have an option to change the RGB mode for the HDMI port, and If I am routing the stick through the sound bar, or an AVR, I'm pretty much out of luck fixing the problem. He said the core issue was ROKU designed the streaming stick, to output in an RGB range that is not compatible with standard TVs, and more for a computer monitor. He also said that ROKU provides no options on the stick to change video output. Like I said, I know you can't do much while you're not home, but I did want to follow up with you about the information I found out, and issues that have cropped up with the latest line of software updates. The other thing I found is, according to the ROKU channel store, Plex, for ROKU hasn't been updated since April, and on other platforms plus the server, there have been a few updates since then.

I have gotten my content to play nice with the Apple TV and Plex by selecting convert automatically for the quality. so it's a suitable work around until the ROKU issues are sorted out. Unlike ROKU, I have a copy of VLC on Apple TV which allows streaming over SMB shares which is an alternative as well because of all the video and audio support VLC has so I'm bound to get a direct stream there.

Thanks again, for doing what you can! I appreciate it.
post #5773 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
Hi All,

After going back and forth with Roku for weeks, sending them core dumps, having them ultimately tell me I need to replace my unit, and them sending me a new one, and after ensuring the new unit has the 7.7 firmware, the new unit STILL has HDCP purple screen issues.

Are you connecting the Roku to an AVR and then the display? I used to have the purple HDCP error all the time when it was connected to my Denon AVR but for about a week now I've connected the Roku directly to the display and haven't seen the purple screen yet.

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #5774 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6421 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
Is there a problem with Youtube app for HDR videos? I found some clips that have HDR badge are not really showing in HDR, they don't look anywhere close to HDR in terms of color and brightness. Here is one example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s&t=12s
i didn't think the Roku had access to HDR with Youtube. It requires decoding VP9.2. Or did they add it at some point? I know my Sony X800 can handle VP9.2 and I can watch the YouTube HDR videos from it. But I didn't think the Roku had access to Youtube HDR yet.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5775 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s&t=12s
I think the Youtube app or ROKU os is broken because I was getting HDR badges from the ROKU Premiere+ on a 1080p TV, that's not even HDR or 4k compatible.
post #5776 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
i didn't think the Roku had access to HDR with Youtube. It requires decoding VP9.2. Or did they add it at some point? I know my Sony X800 can handle VP9.2 and I can watch the YouTube HDR videos from it. But I didn't think the Roku had access to Youtube HDR yet.
Roku does now support VP9.2, and does indeed support YouTube HDR. However, many YouTube videos that have HDR in their title either do not contain HDR metadata or fail to trigger my display into HDR mode. I have seen some phenomenal 4K HDR videos on YT, but the quality can vary wildly. And I am convinced that some videos are labeled HDR inaccurately.
aaronwt likes this.

Dan
post #5777 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes the app got updated with HDR support.
post #5778 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Are you connecting the Roku to an AVR and then the display? I used to have the purple HDCP error all the time when it was connected to my Denon AVR but for about a week now I've connected the Roku directly to the display and haven't seen the purple screen yet.
Yes I am. And they did go away when connecting to the TV directly, which was part of the troubleshooting that Roku advised me through. They also had me rule out any issue with the HDMI port or the receiver by connecting multiple other devices to the same cable/port (which all work perfectly). So it's definitely the Roku. Also to reiterate, it only happens after the device 'wakes up' out of low power mode (which it switches into whenever its not the input source to the receiver).

I think the Premiere Plus is just flawed hardware given all the problems people are having with it and the inability of firmware/software updates to rectify the issues, even despite Roku's assurances that they will. Hence my question if the Roku Ultra has these same problems :-/
post #5779 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6421 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
Quote:
Roku does now support VP9.2, and does indeed support YouTube HDR. However, many YouTube videos that have HDR in their title either do not contain HDR metadata or fail to trigger my display into HDR mode. I have seen some phenomenal 4K HDR videos on YT, but the quality can vary wildly. And I am convinced that some videos are labeled HDR inaccurately.
Definitely. Most that say HDR are only in VP9 which will not yield HDR. I know "The HDR Channel" on Youtube has real HDR content. Which is where I've watched most of my Youtube HDR content from.

I'll need to look at some HDR content tonight from Youtube on my Roku Ultra. I used it a couple of hours last night streaming Ozark from Netflix and had zero issues.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5780 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I just checked this video on my Roku Premium Plus and it triggered HDR on my LG OLED55E6P. And it looks amazing.

aaronwt likes this.

LG OLED55E6P UHD TV
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD BD Player
Denon AVR-S710W Atmos AV Receiver
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box
Roku Premium Plus 4k/HDR Streaming Media Box
post #5781 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This one triggers HDR too. Checked a few others that were supposed to be HDR but it did not trigger HDR. I guess some don't have their tag/metadata right.

LG OLED55E6P UHD TV
post #5782 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
... Hence my question if the Roku Ultra has these same problems :-/
Yes, I have the Ultra and saw the purple HDCP error all the time until I connected directly to display instead of AVR.

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #5783 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I am currently experiencing the purple screen with an Ultra and Anthem MRX1120. I researched it and Roku says to power down pull all HDMI cables power back on and then re-connect h HDMI cables. Also recommends to us 3 ft cables to connect. I did this and fixed the prob but then had the same issue happend the next day? I think it got worse with the new update. My workaround is power off AVR fixes the prob.

Regards,
Jeff
brotony likes this.
post #5784 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Daryl L likes this.

"I am not IN the business...I AM the business."
post #5785 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Stunning!

LG OLED55E6P UHD TV
post #5786 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone here tried the ROKU express? It's the only one of their latest players I haven't gotten, however, If I have to go back to a 1080p only setup to get a stable and reliable setup back, then I'll do it. I'm asking about the express because it's 1080 only, and should not have the HDMI 2.0 compatible Hardware present that has caused most of my instability issues, even running at a 1080 setting.
post #5787 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Esoteric point, but shouldn't all streaming sticks be called "Fire Sticks" since they get so hot?

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900E & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #5788 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's the most effective way yo completely cleaning a ROKU settings and putting them back to factory defaults? through the settings screen, or with the reset button ?
post #5789 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's the most effective way yo completely cleaning a ROKU settings and putting them back to factory defaults? through the settings screen, or with the reset button ?
They both accomplish the same thing. If you have access to the UI, I'd do it from the menu, as it's easier than pushing and holding the recessed button outside. Sometimes it's hard to find something that fits in the hole far enough to push the button.

Dan
post #5790 of 6901 Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They both accomplish the same thing. If you have access to the UI, I'd do it from the menu, as it's easier than pushing and holding the recessed button outside. Sometimes it's hard to find something that fits in the hole far enough to push the button.
Thanks, going to reset the Premiere+ tonight to see if that cleans up any of the glitches. It's been going since I got it without a reset, so it might do it some good. FYI: I found a thread on the Plex forums dedicated to the issues I have been having with the Premiere+ so I will link it here for you to look at as a point of reference when you're home and can do some better testing: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/25...u-premiere/p6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page